New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Phase 1 complete. I had 1099 clips, now at 0 after opting out of sales.  Images go down starting Friday.

2020-05-27_15-10-06.thumb.jpg.3afb356e528b5902647d26efd6cc8c07.jpg

You might give your photos a month or so... It looks to me like our pay might go up briefly before it sinks. Makes sense to me to take advantage of it (if I'm right).

5 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

You might give your photos a month or so... It looks to me like our pay might go up briefly before it sinks. Makes sense to me to take advantage of it (if I'm right).

I'm already making $2.70 for an SOD/ODD.  Starting June 1, that will go down to $1.23, a 54% pay cut.  Unless SS has a way to boost my monthly downloads by 54% to compensate, I see nothing but losses going forward.  Not going to give my work away so that SS can earn more while I earn less.  Not going to happen.

Shutterstock needs contributors more than contributors need Shutterstock.

Shutterstock's new policy is an abusive pay cut on the hard working artists who's dedication and creativity built and sustain their company.  I have been a steady contributor for 11 years and am proud of the 8200 shot portfolio I crafted. 

I have stopped uploading and will reduce my portfolio size in protest.  I am seriously considering deactivating all of it. 

I urge Shutterstock to reverse their damaging mistake. 

In the long term supporting artists will yield far better returns than starving them.

1 minute ago, MJD Graphics said:

While I absolutely don't agree with this new system, I don't think disabling/deleting your account is the way to go. You have spent a lot of time/investment in creating the port, it's there already you don't have to do anything else as it's now passive income. The only thing to consider is uploading anything new feasible, considering shooting time, uploading, keyboarding, etc.

True, but for me, it's the principle that matters.  I don't want SS enriching itself at my expense.  I was willing to tolerate some of the changes they've made in the past, but this crosses the line for me.  It wasn't passive income when I invested heavily in cameras, lenses, and accessories to do this kind of work.  SS didn't buy that gear.  I did.  I am not going to let SS gouge me any further, so that they can maintain their cushy presence in the Empire State Building in New York City.  They want us to bite the bullett so they don't have to.  That doesn't wash at all in my book.  

This was the last straw for me.  No more.  

2 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Won't make a lot of difference to SS as they would then still have 290 million images in the database.

What do these millions of circles and squares mean? Who will buy millions of do-not-turn-up pictograms? Of course, those who have quality content will not want to work for nuts.

1 hour ago, LongJon said:

i suggest you delete your folio right now considering your position...maybe if all those people screaming now begin cancelling their folio.....but i bet nobody will do this after june first apart hundred people....i bet i will check most folio will be there even janaury 2021.

Perhaps what was will remain. But will new QUALITY images be added?

14 minutes ago, blvdone said:

My video sales is zero today.  Does it have something to do with me leaving negative comment here?

The day before yesterday I turned on my videos. Yesterday they became visible on stock. Today, while I was writing here, I have 5 sales and $ 100. But no matter what sales, I am against it. It's not fair. It's not fair. It would be better to lower prices a bit than to take away our income and turn it into theirs.

2 hours ago, Polozov arts said:

Where do you find statistics? I'm curious about that 90% drop..

I'm just looking at my regular statistics and doing the math (i.e. if you usually sell 100 images a day and since the announcement 10 then that's a drop of 90%.

If you usually sell 50 images a day and now 5 then this is also a drop of 90%

You’re honestly kidding!? Do you even realise how much time, effort and money goes into producing these images and videos for you to completely exploit. Well I will break it down for you:

DSLR Camera = $2000 average 

Lenses = Anywhere from $100 to $3000 each

Computer = $2000+
Media Storage = $100+
Props & Misc = Could be anything

TOTAL UPFRONT COSTS = ~$7000

Now here’s the biggest cost:

Time to edit 1 image = 10-15 minutes, so about 5-10 an hour possibly. So for 100 images about 10 Hours

Time to upload = 1hr for about 100 images

Time to Keyword & Submit = 2hrs for about 100 images.

TOTAL TIME PER 100 images = 13hrs

Realistically <10% of total uploads sell, so that’s 13hrs work to sell 10 images at 10cents each. Total = $1.00 for 13 hours work. Not including overheads and equipment.

To get my $7000 back for my equipment would take a total of (drum roll please): 70,000 downloads and a total of 91,000hrs work, which is 3791 Full Days, or 541 Full Weeks, or 126 Full months Or 10.38 full years without a second off.

Nice work.

57 minutes ago, sahua d said:

I'm sorry but all of you just don't understand that we all live now in a post-pandemic world. All that we have as granted is gone now. This market will die soon (with or without Shutterstock).

Ну все, бля, осталось натощак застрелиться

5 hours ago, Mirko Kuzmanovic said:

Can someone please tell me, after doing this can you still access your photos in Catalog Manager? I want to do this as well ASAP, but I still need to copy all keywords and descriptions to Xpiks, since I was stupid enough not to use it before (I tagged directly on ϟϟ) :(

Yoo photos will disappear from Catalog Manager. So copy your keywords first.

Stupid, wicked, greedy and unfortunate move which was nevertheless anticipated since Jon announced a new CEO.

I've been a full timer since 2009, and I won't be uploading a single new photo, that's for sure.

The disrespect for contributors is outrageous.

"By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time."

Oh this is such BS. My photos from 2013 perform well at the current time, just as my photos from 2018. But I just won't be rewarded "fairly" anymore.

1 hour ago, GregDPhotos said:

Why do you "hope" other people will delete their accounts? Are you recommending that people delete their accounts for their own benefit?

I always hope everyone else delete's their accounts -- even before this announcement.  Why shouldn't I?   Less competition in any industry is good for those who want to stay in the game and keep competing for sales.  If all the lemmings want to jump off the cliff, let will go and I'll wave goodbye to them.

So, no I am not "recommending" anyone delete their account, but I am hoping they do anyway.  If you cannot see the difference, that is your problem.

3 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Won't make a lot of difference to SS as they would then still have 290 million images in the database.

I agree in that it's difficult to make a stand, but still... That 290 million images includes lots of old images that basically just add to the number but I seriously doubt provide any income for SS. I mean, imagine the kind of daily life shots many contributors upload now, put the clothes, hairstyle of the '90s, early 2000 and imagine how many sales you get.

Shutterstock needs new stuff. You're right in that the protest will probably mean little to them, at least unless some big customers jump in and deactivate their accounts, but still it's better to protest than accept willingly this nonsense.