Jump to content
Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

I developed projections for the rest of this year based on the "restructuring" to see if it makes sense to leave my portfolio active after June 30 (my tentative "shut-down" date). Based on two fact-based assumptions, I anticipate actually benefitting slightly from the change by the end of this year. But when it resets in January ... 😏

agree, same for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that.

Why do you "hope" other people will delete their accounts? Are you recommending that people delete their accounts for their own benefit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

This doesn't mean that a contributor who is still in the 0,25 ct tier doesn't have quality images, they might just not have been at SS for long. But I don't agree with hiding ports just because they have reached the 0,38 ct tier.

True, they might have for sure. But as shutterstock... why promote 38 cent ports and lose... in the long run this messes up quality. Because you have to make decision making based on money not on quality. I think that is what they want to change. But I'm just presupposing. 1346072711_ScreenShot2020-05-27at9_51_59PM.png.04abded94c6a2dc7897dda27646c1100.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LongJon said:

you are completely wrong....im sorry to say but after doing many simulation i am afraid to say that if sales recover and you sell more than 3000 images per year you won't lose a penny....i wait janaury to draw conclusion but i don't see it super negative after making some math...for me it's much worst the new scheme for video and video subs...images producer won't lose a lot, video i think much much more.

Maybe you are right, but I don't agree with this kind of changes, there is other ways to promote art and good works, and helps to sell a lot of more images, why the shutterstock banish the research for the most popular (most sold images) , the best photos all together, this action will simplify the buyer search for quality content. Why they don't give medals of honor for image downloads and rise the percentage according the medal, example: 0,5% garbage 10% wood 20% bronze 30% silver 40% gold and 50% diamond, this will incentive the contributors to evolute and do a better job and get rid of garbage, there are to much garbage in shutterstock distracting and make buyers losing time and money, with measures like that they will promote evolution, self-learning, dedication, love for the job. I think there are better ways to treat the contributors. We are the fuel. We must be motivated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

Why do you "hope" other people will delete their accounts? Are you recommending that people delete their accounts for their own benefit?

Those who cry the loudest are not always the ones who are hurt the most (c)

Just note for yourself the most "I delete my account" contributors from this thread and check them in a few weeks😉
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some quick calculations, they show

  • how steep the 35% and 40% tiers are, something most of us will never be able to touch.
  • If we do get to a high tier how much the reset in jan hurts us 
  • The stark difference how much of a paycut you'll end up taking vs now 
  • How in video getting back to 30% commissions will be nearly impossible 
  • The mix of packs is an assumption - SS will not even tell us how good/bad this is

image.thumb.png.46bbcb78f35529ef3e83e69b50e412dc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a lot of people saying "SS hope you change your mind!", like we are begging for SS pity, you "people" forget one essential thing, they cannot exist without us, they are just a platform for us to sell our pictures, and they charge 85% from our revenue, they deserve nothing!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oleksii Arseniuk said:

Those who cry the loudest are not always the ones who are hurt the most (c)

Just note for yourself the most "I delete my account" contributors from this thread and check them in a few weeks😉
 

No one is required to delete or disable their portfolio. This is a call to protest. Everyone protests as he wishes. And you, drowning out this appeal, are helping to Shutterstock or are complacent with your wit. We do not honor you either.

Никто не обязан удалять или отключать свое портфолио. Это призыв к протесту. Каждый протестует как пожелает. А вы заглушая этот призыв помогаете Шатерстоку или самодовольствуетесь своим остроумием. Не то ни другое не делаем вам чести.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, skysense said:

Sign the petition:

http://chng.it/WgMFwWgRdt

A petition at this point is purely symbolic.  It's not going to change management's mind.  What will affect them is to see thousands of contributors opting out of sales.  When they don't have anything decent to sell, maybe then they will take the hint that this no earnings pay structure is completely unacceptable to most contributors here.

SS says they want, "quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers", but they're only willing to pay for the absolute dreck that they started accepting in 2015 and, only late last year, started rejecting en masse.

In other words, they want filet mignon but are only willing to pay Happy Meal prices.  They are not going to get the former with this kind of nonsensical payment structure.  Whoever proposed this is insane, at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phase 1 complete. I had 1099 clips, now at 0 after opting out of sales.  Images go down starting Friday.

2020-05-27_15-10-06.thumb.jpg.3afb356e528b5902647d26efd6cc8c07.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaLiu said:

I see a lot of people saying "SS hope you change your mind!", like we are begging for SS pity, you "people" forget one essential thing, they cannot exist without us, they are just a platform for us to sell our pictures, and they charge 85% from our revenue, they deserve nothing!!!!

Exactly. Artists existed before SS, but SS would not exist without artists. SS forgot about it, and looks like artists forgot too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SS without contributors you have no business. Why do you believe it's ok to screw us over? I've spent almost 17 years working in this industry, and I've never seen treatment like this. You need to rethink this approach, lead the industry don't destroy it further. The work that goes into content production is valuable, quit making it worth nothing. No matter what you say about creating equal opportunity, content is not created equally, unique content will not necessarily be purchased as often as the average content and it's often times harder to come by. Cameras are not created equally...…………….

We incur all the costs of acquiring the content that you are making money off of, that your customers come to you for. We can take that content elsewhere, we can sell it ourselves, we can come together and create a contributor run hosted site. In other words, we have options, but you SS need to remember you don't own us or our footage and we can leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Broken Shield Films said:

SS without contributors you have no business. Why do you believe it's ok to screw us over? I've spent almost 17 years working in this industry, and I've never seen treatment like this. You need to rethink this approach, lead the industry don't destroy it further. The work that goes into content production is valuable, quit making it worth nothing. No matter what you say about creating equal opportunity, content is not created equally, unique content will not necessarily be purchased as often as the average content and it's often times harder to come by. Cameras are not created equally...…………….

We incur all the costs of acquiring the content that you are making money off of, that your customers come to you for. We can take that content elsewhere, we can sell it ourselves, we can come together and create a contributor run hosted site. In other words, we have options, but you SS need to remember you don't own us or our footage and we can leave. 

Yep.  It costs us time, money, and resources to produce the kind of high quality images they say they want now (see first page), but are completely unwilling to pay for that kind of commitment.  Again, they want filet mignon on a Happy meal budget.  I'm not going to accept a 50-70% pay cut so that they can reap the benefits of my labor without fair compensation.

Done with SS unless and until they reverse or revise this insanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, Fredrik Bourdette said:

Thinking of that as well.

Already pulled mine - not a big deal, Adobe Stock sells and pays much more - RIP Shutterstock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GiorgioN said:

Is pond5 or adobe worth trying?

I started to upload daily on Adobe since SS implemented "similar" image rejection policy.

And already have larger income on Adobe than on SS.

With 1/3 size portfolio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but all of you just don't understand that we all live now in a post-pandemic world. All that we have as granted is gone now. This market will die soon (with or without Shutterstock).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear fellow contributors, we are all disappointed and angry, we feel betrayed.
And yet I fear that all this is only the first step in a series of changes.
The second step will probably be a cost reduction for the customers, with a subsequent lack of earnings for us.
How can we continue to have confidence in the people who have been slapping us around for months?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...