Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

2 minutes ago, Amlan Mathur said:

One quick thing, PLEASE DO THIS FIRST

give SS and SS contributor app a 1 star review, lets send their rating to hell.

Do leave a review mentioning

On May 26th Shutterstock suddenly gave its contributors a 6 day notice that they would cut their earning by 60%. They sent an unclear, haphazard communication (with one correction mail hours later) on how they would screw over the very people who make the content you love.

Buyers : Please take your business to Adobestock, their fair payouts mean you'll always have beautiful up to date images

Contributors : Disable your portfolio on 1st Jun and send a mail to Adobe telling that you've done so. Ensure you spread the word.

@LongJon : the problem is that at 300 sales per month you'll never reach the 40% tier. 300 X 12 = 3600 sales / year ie you'll reach level 5 in the 8th month and not be near level 5. At 2k files a month, you'll hit level 5 in month 2 and still never hit level 6 ie never seeing that magical 40% which you hope will make you earn more

today you earn 30 & maximum nobody earn 40%....so even at 30% you can earn more or less depend on subs pack sold....it can be a disaster or you can earn more....royalty level at this point are nothing because we lack all ther data..

10 minutes ago, LongJon said:

i agree,...for me what s clear that improving the sale was impossible for 0,38 cent portfolio and ss ad more 0,25 sales earn more money.....i will expect till next year to draw conclusion...june according to my calculation want be less earning, if sales clearly don't collapse even more...it all depends on sale level and pack sold.

Yes, I read here that actually they earned 37 cents per download, so to give us 38, that was on minus. 38 cents portfolios were clearly "hidden" from sight. I guess, that's why the reset every year... The reset comes to give equal chance to everyone, and so more quality images for clients.

After that, in the middle of the year, probably some leveling might take place, as you have more sales. So you would have more revenue, but less sales. Less revenue, more sales. So this is some autocorrecting mechanism, to keep everybody at a good level, and good for clients, as they get quality images. 

For this to be a scarcity move.... too obvious, too I don't know. So I think this is a business decision, regarding search algorithm. 

3 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

everyone has done their calculations yesterday. people aren't as stupid as you might think. Anyone not reaching level 4 in second-third month and not reaching level 5 at all will lose in income. and there're lots of such contributors. Especially designers

if you front reach level 4 you arn penny....not a living with micro stock...less than 2500 sales are what 400 500 dollar...before you said you earn 5 digits now you say you don't reach level 4 in 3 months.. for me if you don't reach level 4 in one month you are somebody who don't live out of micro stock like i do and put passion on it...so for me if you decide too live micro you are welcome out the door...i'm talking to those who sell and live out of micro....who reach level 4 in 3 4 weeks not 5 month....i say to them wait and see the numbers in their completeness than we can draw final conclusion.

Just now, LongJon said:

if you front reach level 4 you arn penny....not a living with micro stock...less than 2500 sales are what 400 500 dollar...before you said you earn 5 digits now you say you don't reach level 4 in 3 months.. for me if you don't reach level 4 in one month you are somebody who don't live out of micro stock like i do and put passion on it...so for me if you decide too live micro you are welcome out the door...i'm talking to those who sell and live out of micro....who reach level 4 in 3 4 weeks not 5 month....i say to them wait and see the numbers in their completeness than we can draw final conclusion.

I never said I earn 5 digits. you're already confusing people. take rest

2 minutes ago, CPxiom said:

Yes, I read here that actually they earned 37 cents per download, so to give us 38, that was on minus. 38 cents portfolios were clearly "hidden" from sight. I guess, that's why the reset every year... The reset comes to give equal chance to everyone, and so more quality images for clients.

After that, in the middle of the year, probably some leveling might take place, as you have more sales. So you would have more revenue, but less sales. Less revenue, more sales. So this is some autocorrecting mechanism, to keep everybody at a good level, and good for clients, as they get quality images. 

For this to be a scarcity move.... too obvious, too I don't know. So I think this is a business decision, regarding search algorithm. 

ooo I see SS sent us here some bots )))) Of course, poor SS earns minus ))) gives us last penny they have ))))) VERY FUNNY!

Just now, Polozov arts said:

I never said I earn 5 digits. you're already confusing people. take rest

ok probably sorry if i confuse...anyway even if you don't earn a lot or reach level 3 anything is linked to which subs pack are your image bought from...maybe most of you sub come from small pack...i repeat we need to see at least what % of subs are sold for each category...royalty % are nothing with dollar number....you can have 50% of royalty but if sales are 0 or royalty super low it's zero dollar...

1 minute ago, Polozov arts said:

ooo I see SS sent us here some bots )))) Of course, poor SS earns minus ))) gives us last penny they have ))))) VERY FUNNY!

i suggest you delete your folio right now considering your position...maybe if all those people screaming now begin cancelling their folio.....but i bet nobody will do this after june first apart hundred people....i bet i will check most folio will be there even janaury 2021.

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

ok probably sorry if i confuse...anyway even if you don't earn a lot or reach level 3 anything is linked to which subs pack are your image bought from...maybe most of you sub come from small pack...i repeat we need to see at least what % of subs are sold for each category...royalty % are nothing with dollar number....you can have 50% of royalty but if sales are 0 or royalty super low it's zero dollar...

I already told you - wait and see. I've made my decisions

2 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

I'm not a bot... I was just saying, that they had no interest to promote 38 cents portfolios. Of course they don't want to lose. So as soon as you hit the 38 cents you were hidden. I worked full time for months to upload images and nothing happened. I couldn't get up the portfolio from the ground, no matter what. So, they favored the 25 cents ports. But that is not good for customer, as the customer has no access to quality images from a contributor that already earned some money from shutter, and invested in gear. Professionals. That's why I say this might be a search algorithm related move. 

Just now, CPxiom said:

I'm not a bot... I was just saying, that they had no interest to promote 38 cents portfolios. Of course they don't want to lose. So as soon as you hit the 38 cents you were hidden. I worked full time for months to upload images and nothing happened. I couldn't get up the portfolio from the ground, no matter what. So, they favored the 25 cents ports. But that is not good for customer, as the customer has no access to quality images from a contributor that already earned some money from shutter, and invested in gear. Professionals. That's why I say this might be a search algorithm related move. 

I don't think anybody is hidden. It's just hard to be seen among 300 mln photos vs 15-20 mln couple years ago. Plus, they have algorithm: if you don't upload, you're dropped in indexing

1 minute ago, CPxiom said:

based on what you make the asumption that porfolios where "hidden" ?

I’ve been working on shutterstock since 2011, vector illustrator. Never wrote here before, but now I should cause I’m over it. All this years I create high quality content, had minimum rejections and put my soul into every pic. Above all I value quality over quantity. As well as many other authors.

Regression on first level every year will destroy motivation. Quarantine already leaded to significant fall of earnings in addition to those terrible stream of spam and similar pictures where nice content was just drowning. Nobody cares about reputation, the point is only in uncertain profits, excellent position! This has gone too far, I’d rather delete my portfolio and let to sell my pictures elsewhere.

Completely disappointed

1 minute ago, SeaMountain said:

I don't get it! SS have Subscription Plan for $249/month (750 imgs), it's $0.33/image. So I will get 0.33x15%= 0.04...$0.04 for image ?????? It's a joke?!

No, they said the minimum will be 10 cents. So don't worry HAHA

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

i suggest you delete your folio right now considering your position...maybe if all those people screaming now begin cancelling their folio.....but i bet nobody will do this after june first apart hundred people....i bet i will check most folio will be there even janaury 2021.

It is not a matter of who remains, but who does not. The point is our attitude to this. I turned off a video due to sales for $ 9 a month ago . But there were few people like me, so it did not affect Shutterstock. After the failure in the exclusive pond5, I returned only to support the family until I find another work. I have already decided to give up drains, it makes no sense to work where sooner or later find yourself overboard. When I start earning enough elsewhere, I will remove my footage so that the "managers" do not make money from my work.

5 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

I already told you - wait and see. I've made my decisions

Men, please stop. Even me (i`m from Ukraine), with my awfull english, understand LongJon clearly. He has the point. BUT if and as soon as shutter reduce plan price, we all will be f**k`d up. This is the whole danger.

46 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

This won't have any effect on me until January 1, 2021 so I have plenty of time to see how the dust settles.

During the next 6 months I hope SS recognizes the error of their ways and reverses all, or part, this ridiculous plan.  Forcing everyone to start at ground zero on January 1 every year and crawl their way back up to a 30% payout is just stupid.  The payout level should be based on your sales the previous year and not at zero.  In my case, it will take me most of Jan, Feb, March to have 251 video sales.  So during those three months, I will earn 50% of what I should have been earning, but then I'll be at "normal" payouts the rest of the year.  If this plan had been in place this year, I would have earned about $4000 less.  That is significant but not a nail in the coffin.  I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that.  The bottom line is that I don't think this plan will stay as it is, so I will worry about it when we get closer to the end of the year and I can see how it has evolved.  In the mean time, business as normal.

The words of wisdom in the flow of naggings.

6 hours ago, FotoAndalucia said:

Shutter, your message have poor lighting, under exposure and is out of focus. We will reject you!

Also low commercial value.

31 minutes ago, Ammit Jack said:

based on what you make the asumption that porfolios where "hidden" ?

Well as I see, mostly portfolios from 2020 and 2019 are promoted on most popular, etc. Then... I  see this in earnings, and downloads. No matter how much I uploaded, (and had lately good images), sales didn't increase. 

I just say that the reset might be related to equal exposure. Don't know... It's true, why would they not specify that in the email. The reasons. 95023983_ScreenShot2020-05-27at9_51_59PM.png.5f4355d10cf47918c147883686acc914.png

I developed projections for the rest of this year based on the "restructuring" to see if it makes sense to leave my portfolio active after June 30 (my tentative "shut-down" date). Based on two fact-based assumptions, I anticipate actually benefitting slightly from the change by the end of this year. But when it resets in January ... 😏