Jump to content

New earnings structure for Contributors


Recommended Posts

Just now, Polozov arts said:

I never said I earn 5 digits. you're already confusing people. take rest

ok probably sorry if i confuse...anyway even if you don't earn a lot or reach level 3 anything is linked to which subs pack are your image bought from...maybe most of you sub come from small pack...i repeat we need to see at least what % of subs are sold for each category...royalty % are nothing with dollar number....you can have 50% of royalty but if sales are 0 or royalty super low it's zero dollar...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Just when you think Shutterstock couldn't completely and utterly screw the contributors and more you've gone and done it. Effectively with a January reset everybody gets a cut of 20% or more of e

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Polozov arts said:

ooo I see SS sent us here some bots )))) Of course, poor SS earns minus ))) gives us last penny they have ))))) VERY FUNNY!

i suggest you delete your folio right now considering your position...maybe if all those people screaming now begin cancelling their folio.....but i bet nobody will do this after june first apart hundred people....i bet i will check most folio will be there even janaury 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LongJon said:

ok probably sorry if i confuse...anyway even if you don't earn a lot or reach level 3 anything is linked to which subs pack are your image bought from...maybe most of you sub come from small pack...i repeat we need to see at least what % of subs are sold for each category...royalty % are nothing with dollar number....you can have 50% of royalty but if sales are 0 or royalty super low it's zero dollar...

I already told you - wait and see. I've made my decisions

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

ooo I see SS sent us here some bots )))) Of course, poor SS earns minus ))) gives us last penny they have ))))) VERY FUNNY!

I'm not a bot... I was just saying, that they had no interest to promote 38 cents portfolios. Of course they don't want to lose. So as soon as you hit the 38 cents you were hidden. I worked full time for months to upload images and nothing happened. I couldn't get up the portfolio from the ground, no matter what. So, they favored the 25 cents ports. But that is not good for customer, as the customer has no access to quality images from a contributor that already earned some money from shutter, and invested in gear. Professionals. That's why I say this might be a search algorithm related move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CPxiom said:

I'm not a bot... I was just saying, that they had no interest to promote 38 cents portfolios. Of course they don't want to lose. So as soon as you hit the 38 cents you were hidden. I worked full time for months to upload images and nothing happened. I couldn't get up the portfolio from the ground, no matter what. So, they favored the 25 cents ports. But that is not good for customer, as the customer has no access to quality images from a contributor that already earned some money from shutter, and invested in gear. Professionals. That's why I say this might be a search algorithm related move. 

I don't think anybody is hidden. It's just hard to be seen among 300 mln photos vs 15-20 mln couple years ago. Plus, they have algorithm: if you don't upload, you're dropped in indexing

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CPxiom said:

I'm not a bot... I was just saying, that they had no interest to promote 38 cents portfolios. Of course they don't want to lose. So as soon as you hit the 38 cents you were hidden. I worked full time for months to upload images and nothing happened. I couldn't get up the portfolio from the ground, no matter what. So, they favored the 25 cents ports. But that is not good for customer, as the customer has no access to quality images from a contributor that already earned some money from shutter, and invested in gear. Professionals. That's why I say this might be a search algorithm related move. 

based on what you make the asumption that porfolios where "hidden" ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been working on shutterstock since 2011, vector illustrator. Never wrote here before, but now I should cause I’m over it. All this years I create high quality content, had minimum rejections and put my soul into every pic. Above all I value quality over quantity. As well as many other authors.

Regression on first level every year will destroy motivation. Quarantine already leaded to significant fall of earnings in addition to those terrible stream of spam and similar pictures where nice content was just drowning. Nobody cares about reputation, the point is only in uncertain profits, excellent position! This has gone too far, I’d rather delete my portfolio and let to sell my pictures elsewhere.

Completely disappointed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LongJon said:

i suggest you delete your folio right now considering your position...maybe if all those people screaming now begin cancelling their folio.....but i bet nobody will do this after june first apart hundred people....i bet i will check most folio will be there even janaury 2021.

It is not a matter of who remains, but who does not. The point is our attitude to this. I turned off a video due to sales for $ 9 a month ago . But there were few people like me, so it did not affect Shutterstock. After the failure in the exclusive pond5, I returned only to support the family until I find another work. I have already decided to give up drains, it makes no sense to work where sooner or later find yourself overboard. When I start earning enough elsewhere, I will remove my footage so that the "managers" do not make money from my work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

This won't have any effect on me until January 1, 2021 so I have plenty of time to see how the dust settles.

During the next 6 months I hope SS recognizes the error of their ways and reverses all, or part, this ridiculous plan.  Forcing everyone to start at ground zero on January 1 every year and crawl their way back up to a 30% payout is just stupid.  The payout level should be based on your sales the previous year and not at zero.  In my case, it will take me most of Jan, Feb, March to have 251 video sales.  So during those three months, I will earn 50% of what I should have been earning, but then I'll be at "normal" payouts the rest of the year.  If this plan had been in place this year, I would have earned about $4000 less.  That is significant but not a nail in the coffin.  I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that.  The bottom line is that I don't think this plan will stay as it is, so I will worry about it when we get closer to the end of the year and I can see how it has evolved.  In the mean time, business as normal.

The words of wisdom in the flow of naggings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ammit Jack said:

based on what you make the asumption that porfolios where "hidden" ?

Well as I see, mostly portfolios from 2020 and 2019 are promoted on most popular, etc. Then... I  see this in earnings, and downloads. No matter how much I uploaded, (and had lately good images), sales didn't increase. 

I just say that the reset might be related to equal exposure. Don't know... It's true, why would they not specify that in the email. The reasons. 95023983_ScreenShot2020-05-27at9_51_59PM.png.5f4355d10cf47918c147883686acc914.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I developed projections for the rest of this year based on the "restructuring" to see if it makes sense to leave my portfolio active after June 30 (my tentative "shut-down" date). Based on two fact-based assumptions, I anticipate actually benefitting slightly from the change by the end of this year. But when it resets in January ... 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GregDPhotos said:

I developed projections for the rest of this year based on the "restructuring" to see if it makes sense to leave my portfolio active after June 30 (my tentative "shut-down" date). Based on two fact-based assumptions, I anticipate actually benefitting slightly from the change by the end of this year. But when it resets in January ... 😏

agree, same for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that.

Why do you "hope" other people will delete their accounts? Are you recommending that people delete their accounts for their own benefit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

This doesn't mean that a contributor who is still in the 0,25 ct tier doesn't have quality images, they might just not have been at SS for long. But I don't agree with hiding ports just because they have reached the 0,38 ct tier.

True, they might have for sure. But as shutterstock... why promote 38 cent ports and lose... in the long run this messes up quality. Because you have to make decision making based on money not on quality. I think that is what they want to change. But I'm just presupposing. 1346072711_ScreenShot2020-05-27at9_51_59PM.png.04abded94c6a2dc7897dda27646c1100.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LongJon said:

you are completely wrong....im sorry to say but after doing many simulation i am afraid to say that if sales recover and you sell more than 3000 images per year you won't lose a penny....i wait janaury to draw conclusion but i don't see it super negative after making some math...for me it's much worst the new scheme for video and video subs...images producer won't lose a lot, video i think much much more.

Maybe you are right, but I don't agree with this kind of changes, there is other ways to promote art and good works, and helps to sell a lot of more images, why the shutterstock banish the research for the most popular (most sold images) , the best photos all together, this action will simplify the buyer search for quality content. Why they don't give medals of honor for image downloads and rise the percentage according the medal, example: 0,5% garbage 10% wood 20% bronze 30% silver 40% gold and 50% diamond, this will incentive the contributors to evolute and do a better job and get rid of garbage, there are to much garbage in shutterstock distracting and make buyers losing time and money, with measures like that they will promote evolution, self-learning, dedication, love for the job. I think there are better ways to treat the contributors. We are the fuel. We must be motivated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...