New earnings structure for Contributors

2 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

Don't think you guys get the point I am making. What I am saying is that even if 10000 contributors with an average of 5000 images (50.000.000 delete their accounts SS would still have 250.000.000 in the database so to actually do any damage at all to SS a lot more contributors would have to disable/delete their accounts.

read carefully what I wrote. it's not about absolute quantity. it's about effective quantity - images that sell, not just loads of crap. 

Do you really think that even half of those 300 mln sells?? recall the time not long ago when SS reached 16 mln, 20 mln.. 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Eric Krouse said:

Anyone else checking this thread primarily to see if @Doug Jensen has weighed in? 

This won't have any effect on me until January 1, 2021 so I have plenty of time to see how the dust settles.

During the next 6 months I hope SS recognizes the error of their ways and reverses all, or part, this ridiculous plan.  Forcing everyone to start at ground zero on January 1 every year and crawl their way back up to a 30% payout is just stupid.  The payout level should be based on your sales the previous year and not at zero.  In my case, it will take me most of Jan, Feb, March to have 251 video sales.  So during those three months, I will earn 50% of what I should have been earning, but then I'll be at "normal" payouts the rest of the year.  If this plan had been in place this year, I would have earned about $4000 less.  That is significant but not a nail in the coffin.  I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that.  The bottom line is that I don't think this plan will stay as it is, so I will worry about it when we get closer to the end of the year and I can see how it has evolved.  In the mean time, business as normal.

simulate using 500 files per sale...no matter in january everybody will experience a big drop here 100 dollar....but from february they will experience a level 30% and boost...of course if small pack don't account for more than 80%...but in adobe from my sample they are split 65 to 35%....if this is the % in ss and sales improve we can experience at least any loss.

Schermata 2020-05-27 alle 19.39.59.jpg

18 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

It is extreely naive to think that SS does anythignf or the sake of contributors. 

Reset is simply a money grab from contributirs to sell their stuff for significantly less.

Te RESET being for EQUAL exposure, would benefit in the first place the customers. If Shutterstock doesn't have to "hide" portfolios with 38 cents per download, then professionals portfolios would get exposure. Contributors that already made some money from shutterstock, and invested in gear, and are on the roll. But as it is now, as soon as they hit the 38 cents mark, they go down, as for shutterstock is of more benefit to give 25 cents per download. So clients get fresh portfolios, but not necessarily good. Only portfolios from the last two years were promoted, that was clear as daylight.

To not mention the fact, that after upload of fresh images, old images had downloads, but not the new ones. To not get to most popular of course. So they had to do many artifices. 

I can tell you... after going down, no matter what you did, it was like nothing. That was very unmotivating, and eventually I had to interrupt upload, to do something else, to eat. But had come back several times, and uploaded full time some months, but nothing happened. 

2 minutes ago, LongJon said:

simulate using 500 files per sale...no matter in january everybody will experience a big drop here 100 dollar....but from february they will experience a level 30% and boost...of course if small pack don't account for more than 80%...but in adobe from my sample they are split 65 to 35%....if this is the % in ss and sales improve we can experience at least any loss.

Schermata 2020-05-27 alle 19.27.56.jpg

you're still switching the focus from main problem. read what other users wrote here. it's UNFAIR and it's ROBBERY

Just now, CPxiom said:

Te RESET being for EQUAL exposure, would benefit in the first place the customers. If Shutterstock doesn't have to "hide" portfolios with 38 cents per download, then professionals portfolios would get exposure. Contributors that already made some money from shutterstock, and invested in gear, and are on the roll. But as it is now, as soon as they hit the 38 cents mark, they go down, as for shutterstock is of more benefit to give 25 cents per download. So clients get fresh portfolios, but not necessarily good. Only portfolios from the last two years were promoted, that was clear as daylight.

To not mention the fact, that after upload of fresh images, old images had downloads, but not the new ones. To not get to most popular of course. So they had to do many artifices. 

I can tell you... after going down, no matter what you did, it was like nothing. That was very unmotivating, and eventually I had to interrupt upload, to do something else, to eat. But had come back several times, and uploaded full time some months, but nothing happened. 

i agree,...for me what s clear that improving the sale was impossible for 0,38 cent portfolio and ss ad more 0,25 sales earn more money.....i will expect till next year to draw conclusion...june according to my calculation want be less earning, if sales clearly don't collapse even more...it all depends on sale level and pack sold.

29 minutes ago, MJD Graphics said:

Wow , 66 pages of posts within 24 hrs, must be a new world record 🙂

I'm not sure how many of you did, but I read every single post of these 66 pages and 4 people were optimistic (of which one said sorry a few hours later for posting and miscalculating)

Something else I noticed is that right after the announcement, sales tanked 90%. It may be a coincidence but it surely is noticable.
I had just invested 1100 euros last week in new equipment to get the best images possible, after having been disabled for 4 years with no chance of doing any photography. I was going to start shooting and submitting again to SS next week and have been reading countless of tips and articles to make the best of it and to see how things have changed over the years. I will wait to see what happens in June and if sales stay this low and the royalties are being cut back as much as pretty much all of us fear, then I will delete my portfolio here (I just had my tenth anniversary here earlier this month...)

1 minute ago, Polozov arts said:

you're still switching the focus from main problem. read what other users wrote here. it's UNFAIR and it's ROBBERY

no it's you that want see the real...with this situation ss hide most 0,38 cent to favour lower royalty files this is killed now probably they will not even touch algorithm to move sales to lower royalty commission....

the situation now is unclear and it cannot be understood integrally because we don't know how much sub pack they sell for each category....clealry those who will be hit much are amateur who probably sell less than 100 images per month and probably don't rely on micro to survive....if you sell 500 or more images per month, and subs pack 50 10 images account for more than 15 % of the total pack it's clear at the end of year you will gain from the new scheme.....i bet that many who call robbery are selling in istock for one cent or zero cent..

Just now, Bruno Ismael Silva Alves said:

:( my 3641 images are dropping, now in 819, this is very sad, everyone should do the same, its time to strike back, don't choose slavery, together we are stronger.

Captura de ecrã 2020-05-26, às 22.20.12.png

Captura de ecrã 2020-05-27, às 18.42.56.png

you are completely wrong....im sorry to say but after doing many simulation i am afraid to say that if sales recover and you sell more than 3000 images per year you won't lose a penny....i wait janaury to draw conclusion but i don't see it super negative after making some math...for me it's much worst the new scheme for video and video subs...images producer won't lose a lot, video i think much much more.

2 minutes ago, Gtranquillity said:

I'm not sure how many of you did, but I read every single post of these 66 pages and 4 people were optimistic (of which one said sorry a few hours later for posting and miscalculating)

Something else I noticed is that right after the announcement, sales tanked 90%. It may be a coincidence but it surely is noticable.
I had just invested 1100 euros last week in new equipment to get the best images possible, after having been disabled for 4 years with no chance of doing any photography. I was going to start shooting and submitting again to SS next week and have been reading countless of tips and articles to make the best of it and to see how things have changed over the years. I will wait to see what happens in June and if sales stay this low and the royalties are being cut back as much as pretty much all of us fear, then I will delete my portfolio here (I just had my tenth anniversary here earlier this month...)

Where do you find statistics? I'm curious about that 90% drop..

8 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

we don't know because we don't know how much they sell what kind of subs pack...it can be and it can't .....if they sell more than what expected pack of 50 and 10 images...we can even earn more....level or % of royalty doesn't count for me..i want see real money who come to my account and judge...if they give 25 % but i earn more kudos to them.

12 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I will not be deleting my account, although I hope other people do that. 

Are you hoping to ride on other people's backs? I don’t know you, but your words say a lot about you. No matter how you succeed in life, you should be ashamed at heart. If you are ashamed, then not everything is lost and you can hope for the best. Correct before death, so as not to suffer in the afterlife.

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

we don't know because we don't know how much they sell what kind of subs pack...it can be and it can't .....if they sell more than what expected pack of 50 and 10 images...we can even earn more....level or % of royalty doesn't count for me..i want see real money who come to my account and judge...if they give 25 % but i earn more kudos to them.

what you don't know? you have all the statistics on your sales. If most of your sales have been 0,38, it means most of your sales will be 0,10 till you sell enough to go up the level. 

And I wrote to you that for many contributors it will take months to get to level 4, and they will not make to level 5 at all!

I just signed up for my first time here. Had planned to upload my stock of photos and videos to this platform. After reading about how you treat your contributors... just wow. Resetting your level every year is asinine. Why would I want to fight every year to reach the level of earnings I had the year before because you want to rob people at the start of each year.  I'm glad I read about this before I started uploading.  

1 minute ago, Polozov arts said:

what you don't know? you have all the statistics on your sales. If most of your sales have been 0,38, it means most of your sales will be 0,10 till you sell enough to go up the level. 

And I wrote to you that for many contributors it will take months to get to level 4, and they will not make to level 5 at all!

no it's not like this....probabky you don't have even read the tables....right now no matter what you earn 0,38 cent for any sub you sells....be it 750 350 50 10 pack.....in th future you earn according to the pack...so you earn 10 cent if the pack is 750 but 1,72 for example if it's ten...

if i see my sales in adobe who use a scheme like this...royalty are calculated not as minimum but as %...i see i have 65 per cent of sub sold as big pack and 35 of sub sold as small pack, the first are 0,36 cent the second are 0,99 cent....so not all sub are equal...

if you sell now 0,38 * 10 image is 3,8 dollar right now....

if from june you sell 0,38 *6 plus 0,72*4 you are not only losing zero but earning more...

all said we must see what are those level to see how much we lose or earn....

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

no it's not like this....probabky you don't have even read the tables....right now no matter what you earn 0,38 cent for any sub you sells....be it 750 350 50 10 pack.....in th future you earn according to the pack...so you earn 10 cent if the pack is 750 but 1,72 for example if it's ten...

if i see my sales in adobe who use a scheme like this...royalty are calculated not as minimum but as %...i see i have 65 per cent of sub sold as big pack and 35 of sub sold as small pack, the first are 0,36 cent the second are 0,99 cent....so not all sub are equal...

if you sell now 0,38 * 10 image is 3,8 dollar right now....

if from june you sell 0,38 *6 plus 0,72*4 you are not only losing zero but earning more...

all said we must see what are those level to see how much we lose or earn....

ok, wait and see

2 minutes ago, Amlan Mathur said:

One quick thing, PLEASE DO THIS FIRST

give SS and SS contributor app a 1 star review, lets send their rating to hell.

Do leave a review mentioning

On May 26th Shutterstock suddenly gave its contributors a 6 day notice that they would cut their earning by 60%. They sent an unclear, haphazard communication (with one correction mail hours later) on how they would screw over the very people who make the content you love.

Buyers : Please take your business to Adobestock, their fair payouts mean you'll always have beautiful up to date images

Contributors : Disable your portfolio on 1st Jun and send a mail to Adobe telling that you've done so. Ensure you spread the word.

@LongJon : the problem is that at 300 sales per month you'll never reach the 40% tier. 300 X 12 = 3600 sales / year ie you'll reach level 5 in the 8th month and not be near level 5. At 2k files a month, you'll hit level 5 in month 2 and still never hit level 6 ie never seeing that magical 40% which you hope will make you earn more

today you earn 30 & maximum nobody earn 40%....so even at 30% you can earn more or less depend on subs pack sold....it can be a disaster or you can earn more....royalty level at this point are nothing because we lack all ther data..

10 minutes ago, LongJon said:

i agree,...for me what s clear that improving the sale was impossible for 0,38 cent portfolio and ss ad more 0,25 sales earn more money.....i will expect till next year to draw conclusion...june according to my calculation want be less earning, if sales clearly don't collapse even more...it all depends on sale level and pack sold.

Yes, I read here that actually they earned 37 cents per download, so to give us 38, that was on minus. 38 cents portfolios were clearly "hidden" from sight. I guess, that's why the reset every year... The reset comes to give equal chance to everyone, and so more quality images for clients.

After that, in the middle of the year, probably some leveling might take place, as you have more sales. So you would have more revenue, but less sales. Less revenue, more sales. So this is some autocorrecting mechanism, to keep everybody at a good level, and good for clients, as they get quality images. 

For this to be a scarcity move.... too obvious, too I don't know. So I think this is a business decision, regarding search algorithm. 

3 minutes ago, Polozov arts said:

everyone has done their calculations yesterday. people aren't as stupid as you might think. Anyone not reaching level 4 in second-third month and not reaching level 5 at all will lose in income. and there're lots of such contributors. Especially designers

if you front reach level 4 you arn penny....not a living with micro stock...less than 2500 sales are what 400 500 dollar...before you said you earn 5 digits now you say you don't reach level 4 in 3 months.. for me if you don't reach level 4 in one month you are somebody who don't live out of micro stock like i do and put passion on it...so for me if you decide too live micro you are welcome out the door...i'm talking to those who sell and live out of micro....who reach level 4 in 3 4 weeks not 5 month....i say to them wait and see the numbers in their completeness than we can draw final conclusion.

Just now, LongJon said:

if you front reach level 4 you arn penny....not a living with micro stock...less than 2500 sales are what 400 500 dollar...before you said you earn 5 digits now you say you don't reach level 4 in 3 months.. for me if you don't reach level 4 in one month you are somebody who don't live out of micro stock like i do and put passion on it...so for me if you decide too live micro you are welcome out the door...i'm talking to those who sell and live out of micro....who reach level 4 in 3 4 weeks not 5 month....i say to them wait and see the numbers in their completeness than we can draw final conclusion.

I never said I earn 5 digits. you're already confusing people. take rest