Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, Whiteaster said:

Yes? And what did you achieve?

my main income and main photography is not micro , i0m fine art and i spent many years shooting in ukraine even during the 2014 revolution....i come again after and nothing has changed....money went from a group to another and people got nothing.. that's what will happen.

It is unfair to pay a loyal long time contributor the same as a new one. Shutterstock seems to not can about it loyal pass contributors who have helped in growing the business. It seems to me that Shutterstock is looking for ways to bring in fresh content from its contributors whether they are old or new. I believe that maybe they are trying to discourage contributors relying on a large portfolio of old images. They seem to be wanting to push hard on its older contributors to increase the amount of fresh content.

Because they may feel that there's an unlimited amount of new people that will be willing to start out as contributors, they can level the playing field without loosing too much. 

I do not agree with the new pay rate or the restart of the levels each year. I feel that Shutterstock should work in keeping their loyal contributors. There should be a high pay rate for amount of images on a portfolio or for the number of years that a person has been with them. 

I hope that Shutterstock will rethink this new pay rate and level system.  

2 minutes ago, Olena Zaskochenko said:

Dreamstime, 123rf, deposit and Adobe now brining more earnings together than shutter.

Fotolia and Dreamstime were better 5 years ago. SS made an earthquake now. This will affect all the companies. We will see the results.

27 minutes ago, paula french said:

Done!

Can someone please tell me, after doing this can you still access your photos in Catalog Manager? I want to do this as well ASAP, but I still need to copy all keywords and descriptions to Xpiks, since I was stupid enough not to use it before (I tagged directly on ϟϟ) :(

I like these new rules and I think that 10 cents for an image is too much, but 2 cents would be fine. And in General, it is so disgusting to read you, because we all live for art and not for royalties. Therefore, I propose to ship to the Shutterstock absolutely free of charge, because it is our friend, our close relative practically. We need to understand the complex situation in the world and give up this vile greed and give up the rewards on the Shutterstock completely!

1 minute ago, LongJon said:

my main income and main photography is not micro , i0m fine art and i spent many years shooting in ukraine even during the 2014 revolution....i come again after and nothing has changed....money went from a group to another and people got nothing.. that's what will happen.

i remember reading a plan job offer outside a supermarket....you know how much was for basic job a month=? 150 dollar....now even if a contributor will earn 300 400 dollar compared to 1000 they earn now,,do you think most will dump their folio and lose their income to go work for 200 300 dollar 8 hours a day for 6 days?...cis and ukraine contributor accounts for the big chunk of images...if the revolution start from them we can follow but if we western contributor dump our folio ss will lose no more than 50 70 million images.

So funny life sometimes...I wanted to sell my beloved Nikon D7100 and try to buy something better...maybe lenses...to improve and earn more :))) Although looking at the last weeks sales are constantly decreasing I was thinking that stock will never be the same ... I never had enough money to buy expensive gear but i did my best with what I had...Reaching a level of earnings and hearing that everything will change overnight it is not fair at all...BUT thanks SS for making my decisions easier to take!

2 minutes ago, Morrowind said:

Fotolia and Dreamstime were better 5 years ago. SS made an earthquake now. This will affect all the companies. We will see the results.

the big shaking will be royalty cut everywhere...even adobe will soon follow. 

5 minutes ago, LongJon said:

that's why i decide to give a try and see my level of sales til end of year....there is simply no way pond5 and adobe will sell enough even with the new level of royalty in ss...adobe is completely dead in the last 2 weeks for example. pond5 sold nothing for me...im not video producer but the few video sales i had are all in ss...

P5 is not for photographers. I only sold 2 photos so far. I am waiting an answer from Adobe to the decision of SS. Adobe has many advantages because people who is buying photos also using photoshop. There is an integration module in Photoshop. Adobe is a giant company with its programs. 

personally after reflecting and reading some post i think every body chill out and wait june month royalty to see exactly what % of subs plan are out there....i repeat if they are mostly 50 10 packs, we will get more for subs than now...if they are 750 350 we will lose tons of money....level % is not super important for still but more for video shooters who att he moment still sells more on demand or single..

i repeat level is not very important, everybody is focusing on this but all depends on subs plan sold by ss. so it must be seen cause at the moment we receive a fixed amount for every sub be 750 plan or 10 plan, so actually we don't know how much income we will get.

4 hours ago, Ingus Kruklitis said:

Your portfolio is sick!! I love it. It's definitely worth much much more then SS pays you. 

...it doesn't help ;O) So i am out in some days .... 

3 minutes ago, LongJon said:

the big shaking will be royalty cut everywhere...even adobe will soon follow. 

I hope they will not make the same mistake. Corona hit all of the world and if SS cut the royalties for a period of time such as 1 year, maybe people would have understood this.

10 minutes ago, LongJon said:

you don't know what you're talking about. so why speaking? goal of revolution wasn't economical prosperity

and? simply another group of people got all richness..

and it's too much to tell you the difference. You should've lived in Ukraine during the dictator to understand 

Just now, Polozov arts said:

you don't know what you're talking about. so why speaking? goal of revolution wasn't economical prosperity

i was in ukraine since 2012 to 2018 45 times following all those scenarios.. i had great hope hope for ukraine....after 2 years of revolution everything has changed in bad..

2 minutes ago, Morrowind said:

I hope they will not make the same mistake. Corona hit all of the world and if SS cut the royalties for a period of time such as 1 year, maybe people would have understood this.

no ) I don't understand why SS making millions would've wanted me to cut my small earnings

i was in ukraine since 2012 to 2018 45 times following all those scenarios.. i had great hope hope for ukraine....after 2 years of revolution everything has changed in bad..

I guess you know better, cause you visited 45 times, than me, living here. no sense to continue

Yeah, I won't be associated with Shutterstock after this. The pay cut for contributors will be astronomical. I feel for those who have made a living from selling here previously. This is a wanton act of greed at a time when the contributors are in a situation where they are least likely to walk away from an exploitative deal.

The icing on the cake is the "Happy New Year! Here's your yearly pay drop!"

Not a kind prospect for the loyal artists who've been here for years. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the board meetings that got them to this decision. It would be interesting to see the level of contempt they have for the very people who's work allows them to even have a business.

1 minute ago, Olena Zaskochenko said:

deleted 20 more photos from portfolio.. will continue.  feels like a saying good bye for an old friend..

more like goodbye to a cheating bf )))))

2 minutes ago, Olena Zaskochenko said:

deleted 20 more photos from portfolio.. will continue.  feels like a saying good bye for an old friend..

U should only wait to see the level

of sales. Level of royalty dont tell nothing if we dont know the pack of sub sold