Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

9 minutes ago, Rimma Bondarenko said:

@Kate Shutterstock you dumped percent information on us that gives nothing. Without understanding that it will be at all. And they disappeared for a day, not answering questions. Are you still alive??? Are you here with us???  Please return to the topic and answer our questions.

Indicate the ratio of subscriptions from customers. How much will we get than minimum amounts, what are the chances of getting big. Without this, RPI is simply not clear. And it is not clear whether it makes sense to work with the SS further for all of us.

You wrote about a minimum of 10 cents, but this does not give a real idea of what other. This will be the amount for the sale at the minimum level, but what about other levels? Will it really be min in 11,12c, or something more adequate?

Indicate the expected prices on different subscriptions, for different levels. You definitely have such data, without this you would not have made such a decision.

And the sickest, real crazy sick moment, dropping the level every year, it is simply a mockery. Even for stockers who restore level 5 in a month or less, this is critical shot. And I doubt very much that there are those who can return to their usual level in a day and takes it as a trifle. I really hope that you change it in this moment. And make a rating by evaluating each last year.

it's pretty easy to calculate...90% of package are the lowest....so you will get 10 cent mostly for subs...take your sub earning for this month divide per 0,38 and multiple per 0,1 and you will see....probably till next year you won't see lost on od single and enhanced.

I am very disappointed from your cruel decision. It feels that you care only for yourselves.  It's a shame!!! I hope that you will change your policy, thinking about your loyal contributors.

For Shutterstock this is just business.

Everyone is angry, but they speculate only  a few contibutors will really remove their portfolio.

The rest will stay and ....... cash .... cash .... cash .... for Shutterstock ... 😡

In their email they say "help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors"

These guys got humor....

If I leave my clips I'll get 15-20% comission on my clips, and they'll get 80-85%!

Thiefs...

I'm deleting my clips.

My training, experience, talent and hard work is not worth a few cents...

9 minutes ago, lazyllama said:

Someone is in for a nasty shock come 01 June when they realize that the vast majority of subscription downloads will only earn contributors 10c/image in revenue. 

this is the real drama not level...level will just account on 5 10 % of sale...90% of sale will be cut from 0,38 to 0,1....theyin practice earn 28 cent each photo sold for 90% of transactions...is something never seen in any industry...something should be sent directly to usa congress.

if we think for example they distributed 100 million royalty....90 million for example at 0,38

90millio/0,38= near 240000000 tranaction....multiplied by 0,1 is 24 million dollar....in practice they save 66 million dollar who will make their pocket big and shareholders happy.

1 minute ago, T.W. van Urk said:

For Shutterstock this is just business.

Everyone is angry, but they speculate only  a few contibutors will really remover their portfolio.

The rest will stay and ....... cash .... cash .... cash .... for Shutterstock ... 😡

of course...thats why they advertise the contributors program heavy in india thailand russia ukraine....most people there can live with 500 600 dollar...leave normally not great but in line with many people doing normal job, cause minimum salary in those country is not big...they move to those country to get contents because of this. and most of contributor from those country will never remove their portfolio even at 5 cent royalty. it's mentality. istock move to cent sale and they have 200 million files....this industry is finished...in 5 years nobody will produce content as micro stocker apart one big production company. 

17 minutes ago, bodrumsurf said:

Just sold a video and payed me 1,80 dolar. 

Under what licence you guys sell my videos for such a price?

Thanks for doing this during this Corona virus pandemic.

No government helps us to live and Shutterstock wants more money for themself. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 16.34.38.png

1,80 is i think th new subs level for video, according tot he new scheme from june u probably will earn much less than 1,80

47 minutes ago, 4045 said:

Please give an example of whether the revenue is flat or increasing or decreasing. It's not a good way to avoid questions.

C’mon. The dead giveaway that your subconscious has the answer for you  whether it’s increasing or decreasing was when you also aware that they are dodging our questions.

Understandable too. it’s really hard to digest something this drastic in such a short notice.

1 hour ago, Ruslan_Grebeshkov said:

Как говорят, поживем увидим). А пока не отвлекаемся, продолжаем рисовать). Всем добра!

Поживем увидем. Вы не ответили на вопрос. Что вы предпочетаете? Натуральное мясо или дешевые сосиски с химией? Или не так, допустим вы отвечаете за рекламу в инстаграм и Вам нужны качественные иллюстрации для рекламы вашего бренда, продукции, причем много и немедленно, вы пойдете на стоки с генеративным шлаком или пойдете на Креатив Маркет или Адоб за качественными иллюстрациями, придумаными и нарисоваными хорошими авторами? 

20 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

I'll join you in this! 😄 And I hope anyone else who values their work will, too.

7 hours ago, M-SUR said:

Said perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
#BoycottShutterstock

7 hours ago, FCG said:

This is really insulting, so the customers pay the same amount but we receive much much less..... maybe if we all deactivate our portfolios it could change the decision....

10 hours ago, Jahanzaib Naiyyer said:

I have been contributing to Shutterstock for over 10 years now, whenever i feel like uploading and doing metadata Shutterstock was my first choice because i knew the time and effort i put into it will worth over a period of time but after the recent earnings tier update i think it is not going to worth it anymore.

Thanks Shutterstock for the lovely decade. I might not delete my portfolio but i certainly will be a lot less motivated to upload new stock while knowing the effort wont worth it.

9 hours ago, Marina Riley said:

This is a total joke. Every January back to the lowest earnings ?!? Shutterstock used to be number one in my book, but not any more. Why don't they just cut the BS and not pay us at all as everything they are doing lately (it is painful to upload vectors now) makes me feel that they don't actually want contributors.

Extremely bad move from what was once a really good, fair and honest company.

9 hours ago, Crystal Eye Studio said:

Huhu.. bad news in a Covid crisis world where I depend on my sales. I've been trying hard to make myself go up, higher in rank for years and then this sad sad news... 1) Resetting every January is like an arrow to the heart. :( 2. It has affected my emotions and creativity plus the long year plans to stay creative and submit mostly to Shutterstock only. So sad.. Can't explain my mixed feelings... Need to find another ways to survive financially (without my skills and creativity getting taken advantaged). So  I need to change my priorities... stop uploading here first until this scheme and nightmare will be over. :(

9 hours ago, Plateresca said:

Hi! 

I've been with Shutterstock since 2014, I have 19672 images on sale right now, and this is not loads of crap, they are images that sell well here and elsewhere (I've been assigned Level 5).

Until yesterday, I loved being a microstock photographer, I have no other income. As I see it, what Shutterstock is doing now is probably going down in flames, but taking the whole industry with them. I understand that the current payouts model is probably unrealistic under the circumstances, but the drastic cut and the manner in which it has been announced are too much. Definitely this measure opens up way to similar changes on other microstocks, which will lead to professionals just not being able to gain any serious income from them.

This is why I will deactivate my portfolio on the last day of May, if nothing changes (and I have no hope left that it will).

I am so sorry that our beloved Shutterstock has gone and done something like this.

9 hours ago, Raisa Kanareva said:

This is meanness. You know that many now because of a pandemic may not have time to react and hope to "slip through".
This approach will lead to the collapse of your business in the near future.
Think about it.

9 hours ago, Kenneth Keifer said:

With nearly $60K in lifetime earnings and a few thousand uploads, I do not say this flippantly nor without great pause, but, I don't see how I can feel good about continuing with this agency. I have recommended SS to sooooo many people over the years from friends to attendees at my classes and when I speak to camera clubs. Sadly and unfortunately, I don't see how I can do so now. Of all the things I desired to accomplish with my photography and videography, becoming a prostitute was not one of them.It's been a good ride, even with reduced earning the last couple years, but all good things come to an end. Sad. Very sad right now.
On a happy note, AS earning continue to increase!

a clearer view shows us that SS is in crisis,
I clearly no longer invest with my job in a company that is at a loss,
the problem is very serious and makes us understand,
  it is better not to invest in this agency.
  better go elsewhere

Immagine1.jpg

Immagine2.jpg

Just now, BusinessIllustrator said:

Поживем увидем. Вы не ответили на вопрос. Что вы предпочетаете? Натуральное мясо или дешевые сосиски с химией? Или не так, допустим вы отвечаете за рекламу в инстаграм и Вам нужны качественные иллюстрации для рекламы вашего бренда, продукции, причем много и немедленно, вы пойдете на стоки с генеративным шлаком или пойдете на Креатив Маркет или Адоб за качественными иллюстрациями, придумаными и нарисоваными хорошими авторами? 

Сосиски с химией. Я ответил на ваш вопрос? Удачи.

You write that the new earnings system motivate contributors to create fresh and relevant content. But numbers saying otherwise. By taking all the revenue from unused packages and resetting our content, you are humiliating and deceiving us. This cannot be called equal and mutually beneficial cooperation. This is manipulation and deception at our expense.

2 minutes ago, Photostock by LEEM said:

a clearer view shows us that SS is in crisis,
I clearly no longer invest with my job in a company that is at a loss,
the problem is very serious and makes us understand,
  it is better not to invest in this agency.
  better go elsewhere

Immagine1.jpg

Immagine2.jpg

this move is getting them out of this for at least this year....for me they will save near 40 50 million royalty...only this year. and from next year even more.

26 minutes ago, Aspen Photo said:

Look at the tables that others have taken time to create - or just do your own math based on their advertised prices. The big buyers buy big subscriptions, they have low per image costs. Instead of a flat rate for subscriptions determined by your historical contributions/sales here, you get a percentage (that resets to the lowest rung each year). That means for high download subs, you get 10-20 cents PER IMAGE. The math is not that difficult brother. You're getting bent over and rammed. If you like it - knock yourself out. I value myself and my work a little more than that.

Here is a further post from last night below...you are making the assumption that the vast majority of their sales are the highest tier 750 a month.  Their financials show that is far from the truth.  Most are likely the 50/month subscription ...here is the repost with  data from their SEC filed financial reports

• They have 1.9 million active users--lets say 90% on subscription or 1.71MM-- but 80% are for photo/illustration images and 20% are video so 1.368 photo focuses subscribers.
  • They reported just 46 million total downloads Q1 2020--about 184 million a year-- we will say 80% are images so say 147.2MM images per year or 12.25MM per month and we will contribute them all to subscription for shits and grins.
  • That is less than 9 subscription photos taken per account in the best circumstances.  someone in the art department is getting fired as they wasted $100 a month every month on subs so the vast majority CAN NOT BE 750/month accounts or we would be seeing a massive number of DDs

Everyone keeps making the universal assumption that most photos are and will be sold to 750 image per months subs that would get you the 10 cents.

So we will walk through some math....

•  Lets say  80% of sales are images or 1.5MM active users and 12.6MM images per month is an average of 8.28 images per account
  • But lets say 30% are direct download users so 1.064MM sub users.  That means subs average 8.3 DLs per account
  • Now lets run three scenarios to see if we can try to allocate sub accounts to the tiers to see what it would take to get numbers approximately right.image.thumb.png.898cb4a7d9a1ba9d88e4205ab06359d4.png
  • Most likely something like scenario 3 is how sub accounts would be allocated. With only 3% or so of sales in the 750 a month or 10 cent per image range..

Now are these number perfect... certainly not.  What they tell us is it would be very unlikely for 750/month subs to be the lions share of the download sources.  Either they would rely on a massive customer under utilization of subscriptions or they rely on a significantly higher volume of 10 unit and 50 unit per month subs and a moderate amount of subscription under utilization (hence why the don't roll over credits).  I would say there is a likelihood that 10 per month or $2.90 per image is about 50% of their subs. 

Remember my premise of why would they do this?  Incentivize more interaction with their plat form and penalize low quality/value contributors with the annual reset.

I would also think they would be resetting subs soon as they refresh the business model. 

Well I’ve just revoked permission for SS to sell my images. Will look at other options. 

Contributors should actually act in response to this to send a meaningful signal to SS or we’ll continue to be bent over. 

the 1st January reset is so heinous it feels like it should be in breach of something. Morality certainly... any lawyers out there??

Im just overwhelmed by how disrespectful this is. 

This is just evil.

Does somebody know the approximate % of each submission pack in the sales?

I just did the math. In order for me to earn the same amount (per year) than now, my sales would have to be something like: 

53% 350 pack, 22% 50 pack, 15% 750 pack, 5% 10 pack, 5% on demand.

Is that even possible!?!?

In one of the worst case scenarios I could imagine (probably the reality), my earnings will drop 30%. That scenario would be: 50% 350 pack, 40% 750 pack, 4% 50 pack, 1% 10 pack, 5% on demand.

I'm very recent contributor in shutterstock, about 1 year, and I was beginning to get the hang of this... But what just happened is really disgusting ...

And remember, dear Cinderella Shutterstock contributor, when the clock strikes midninght on New Year's eve, all your hard gained rewards and earnings will turn into dust.