New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

6 hours ago, samoyloff said:

10c for most of your sales. There are several spreadsheets in this topic showing calculations based on this new model. For most popular packages you will not get more than 23c even at rank 6. Most people will be getting 10c from now on.

Thanks for replying. When IS/GI did this they crashed from being market leaders to an irrelevant bunch of losers. SS should have seen that as a warning, not an example to follow 

Okay, Shutterstock, and let's reset the level of financial income to your top managers every year on January 1? 
I think that this will help create fair opportunities for all your top managers and other employees, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

And now, seriously! 
I have been working with shutterstock since 2014 and for the first time I am writing something on the forum, I am seriously concerned about your changes in the policy of payments to your contributions

Your actions devalue our work and equate our work with legalized slavery!!! 

Ладно, Shutterstock, а давайте с 1 января будем сбрасывать уровень финансового дохода вашим топ-менеджерам?
Я думаю, что это поможет создать справедливые возможности для всех ваших топ-менеджеров и других сотрудников, а также вознаградить работу за счет большего потенциального заработка.

А теперь, серьезно!
Я работаю с shutterstock с 2014 года и впервые пишу что-то на форуме, я серьезно обеспокоен вашими изменениями в политике платежей для ваших контрибьюторов

Ваши действия обесценивают нашу работу и приравнивают Её к узаконенному рабству !!! 

Well, if this change is such a good thing... motivator and rewarding for those who put in more work, how about introducing it to all staff at Shutterstock.

Each January, all staff, managers and directors etc are reset to minimum wage and then work their way up. That way, all staff will be rewarded for what they've done that year rather than relying on previous years promotions, rewards. Keeps them them coming up with fresh ideas. They can't be any staler than the ones they have at the moment!

In December for 1 photo I get $ 0.36
After resetting the rating.
In January for the same 1 photo I get $ 0.10
Do I understand correctly that you officially admit to the theft of my money on the pretext that this should motivate me to help you steal even more of my deductions?

10 hours ago, Philip Rozenski said:

Bigger problem is new photos, minimum quality met...but no commercial value.  That is the bigger threat to them.  Because of legal rights they cant ban them like you can with 3 strike you for duplicate.  As for the need to improve that is exactly what they are trying.  While they mask the levels photos are purchased at a look at the financials suggest more subs are purchased at a higher price than people are assuming. Their top 25 accounts only account for 3 percent of sales and the larger and growing business is with small organizations where even with subs the percentage payment system they are implementing.

Everyone is assuming we will make lest based on a tier list but not seeing anyone analyze the data and it suggests it wont be that bad for tier 4 and up.  And the initial low rate will be made up if you keep your volume each year...

Am I the only one working the numbers?

Look at the tables that others have taken time to create - or just do your own math based on their advertised prices. The big buyers buy big subscriptions, they have low per image costs. Instead of a flat rate for subscriptions determined by your historical contributions/sales here, you get a percentage (that resets to the lowest rung each year). That means for high download subs, you get 10-20 cents PER IMAGE. The math is not that difficult brother. You're getting bent over and rammed. If you like it - knock yourself out. I value myself and my work a little more than that.

I am sure they will come back and say, "we have heard you, and are changing it to rolling total for past 12 months. See we are awesome", when that was probably their plan all along. Make drastic changes, then make it look as if giving in, when in fact people will still be earning a lot less.

19 minutes ago, Duncan Andison said:

Well, if this change is such a good thing... motivator and rewarding for those who put in more work, how about introducing it to all staff at Shutterstock.

Each January, all staff, managers and directors etc are reset to minimum wage and then work their way up. That way, all staff will be rewarded for what they've done that year rather than relying on previous years promotions, rewards. Keeps them them coming up with fresh ideas. They can't be any staler than the ones they have at the moment!

Absolutely BRILLIANT suggestion.  Sadly, this will not fit with SS management policy.

Just now, Chris_M_Rabe said:

I am sure they will come back and say, "we have heard you, and are changing it to rolling total for past 12 months. See we are awesome", when that was probably their plan all along. Make drastic changes, then make it look as if giving in, when in fact people will still be earning a lot less.

Or "Ok, the minimum now is 12 cents, not 10 cents. Rejoice!"

It is possible that we will get back some % of our earnings back. Not all ofc. This is actually a very old trick.

My post from another forum:

If you want to raise tax for 5%, you go into public with information that you are going to raise tax for 8%, then all the people go on rage frenzy, after 2-3 weeks of this, and some kind of negotiations, they come to conclusion that 5% increase is a win-win situation. Remember that 5% increase was initial idea.

Ofcourse, why not to get some rat race new year eve event on annual basis, because it's so funny to humiliate people who work at you, watch them trying their best for even smaller money in even harder conditions. This really kills any belief in humanity, such a shame. Perfect time to become heroes easily, with a little support, but no, it's better to choose being sh*tlords. Disgusting.

1 hour ago, AnastasiaOsipova said:

Hello again! This is my cry for help! I am a vector artist and each of my images takes a very long time. I can't physically upload a huge number of images and under the new policy I will become bankrupt. Shutterstock and Adobe are my main income. If I stop uploading to Shutterstock (and there is no other way out) , I will lose 50% of my revenue. Please tell me which agencies I can still contact with my vector graphics. My email is in my portfolio. I will be very very grateful for your advice!!!

1 hour ago, Ruslan_Grebeshkov said:

Friends, in General, it is clear that this is inevitable. In five years, generative content will be available in General. shatterstock will make a strict sorting - only the TOP super-authors will be left, so that there will be someone to train the neural network on new trends. And everything else will be generated. Most likely, image search itself will become a thing of the past, because it will become a very archaic action - it will become very expensive for the user to sit for half a day searching for the desired image. It seems to me that there will be something like a tick - you choose the author's style, type in keywords, and get the result.
Even now, Shutterstock is a model of a neural network in which individual neurons (people) look at trends and generate similar variations. It's just that people are doing it now and it seems that there is some meaning in it. And in fact - the business model of drains is ideal for AI. And this applies not only to the vector, but also to photos and video content. And vector images in this list are first in line. Shutterstock itself will soon implement a neural network in its engine. Imagine how many problems they have will be gone - no need to think about the community of designers to pay them money. You don't need to track legal issues on images, on models, the use of trademarks in images...
And if Shutterstock doesn't do it in time, someone else will do it and throw him off Olympus. Good day to all!

Друзья, в целом же понятно, что это неизбежно. Через пять лет вообще генеративный контент будет долю на рынке. Шаттерсток сделает жесткую сортировку - оставят только ТОП супер-авторов, чтобы было кому нейронную сетку обучать на новых трендах. А все остальное будет генерироваться. Скорее всего сам поиск изображений уйдет в прошлое, т.к. это станет очень архаичным действием - это станет очень дорогим удовольствием для пользователя сидеть пол дня искать нужную картинку. Что-то типа такого будет, мне кажется - выбираешь стилистику автора, вбиваешь ключевые слова, получаешь результат.
Уже сейчас шаттерсток представляют из себя модель нейронной сети, в которой отдельные нейроны (люди) смотрят на тренды и генерируют похожие вариации. Просто сейчас это делают люди и кажется, что в этом есть какая-то осмысленность. А по сути - бизнес-модель стоков идеально подходит для AI. И касается это не только вектора, но и фотографий и видео контента. А векторные изображения в этом списке первые на очереди. Сам шаттерсток скоро внедрит нейронную сеть в свой движок. Представь сколько проблем у них пропадет - не надо думать о сообществе дизайнеров, платить им деньги. Не надо отслеживать правовые вопросы на картинки, на моделей, использование торговых марок в изображениях...
А если Шаттерсток это вовремя не сделает, это сделает кто-то другой и сбросит его с Олимпа. Всем доброго дня!

Видел я генеративный контент, созданый скриптами и нейросетями, в том числе для микростоков. Это не то, такой не зайдет, а если и достигнет хорошого уровня когда то, то живые авторы еще большего и качественного уровня в иллюстрациях и видео достигнут, ну будет тогда шатер генерить масу для ширпотреба ( Это как натуральное мясо и перемолотые кости и химия в самых дешевых сосисках, что бы вы предпочли? )