Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

This is an extremely unfair and illogical approach. What kind of a business model justifies selling everything at cut rates arbitrarily at the beginning of the calendar year, independent of the recent performance of a contributor?

If I follow your own logic and stated intention of rewarding contributors for currently popular content, then you should have implemented a rolling 12-month level assessment, i.e., a contributor level should be revised at the end each month by her download volume during the last rolling 12 months. This is not rocket science.

The idea of resetting everything arbitrarily on January 1st is either non-sensical or - I hope not - a dishonest way to cut contributor fees or -worse - an indication for disdain to your loyal contributors' hard work.

I hope you will reconsider this.

7 minutes ago, Studio 37 said:

Also, Free - is hi

7 minutes ago, Studio 37 said:

..."your commission will not be lower than 10¢"!  Nooo - WHY NOT?!? It is also a possibility! All the contributors which remain on SS are very happy with that! All the contributors want to create "quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers". For 10¢, for sure! Also, Free - is highest option SS! Why not?! You are the winner, you takes all! As simple as that. All the contributors (which have bills to pay) can create for FREE also. Think about it, SS!

I am thinking about starting photograph  trashcans. Specially for shutterstock.

so i've been doing this for 10 years now, i'm not a big earner but i get what i need and it was getting better every year. i like doing stock photography . i do food photography and now when i look at the photos restaurants or websites are putting up, it's just cell phones photos. And why wouldn't they..with all the tutorials online, you can produce a decent food photo with a little effort. And people don't expect much anymore. so to be honest, i have been and still am surprised when people download my pics.

so what i'm asking is, the way things are going, will stock photography die at some point? coz now they're just killing us slowly

One quick thing, give SS and SS contributor app a 1 star review, lets send their rating to hell.

Do leave a review mentioning

On May 26th Shutterstock suddenly gave its contributors a 6 day notice that they would cut their earning by 60%. They sent an unclear, haphazard communication (with one correction mail hours later) on how they would screw over the very people who make the content you love.

Buyers : Please take your business to Adobestock, their fair payouts mean you'll always have beautiful up to date images

Contributors : Disable your portfolio on 1st Jun and send a mail to Adobe telling that you've done so. Ensure you spread the word. 

If SS relents, we can help them back up with tips on how to improve ranking quickly

I have plenty of opportunities to give my work away. That's what 10 cents per image is. Here's an idea: keep paying us 38 cents and move out of the Empire State Building and work from home. That ought to keep SS afloat for a few more months.

3 minutes ago, mpessaris said:

so i've been doing this for 10 years now, i'm not a big earner but i get what i need and it was getting better every year. i like doing stock photography . i do food photography and now when i look at the photos restaurants or websites are putting up, it's just cell phones photos. And why wouldn't they..with all the tutorials online, you can produce a decent food photo with a little effort. And people don't expect much anymore. so to be honest, i have been and still am surprised when people download my pics.

so what i'm asking is, the way things are going, will stock photography die at some point? coz now they're just killing us slowly

shutterstock became a trashstock. Nobody will work for nothing. If they will pay 4 cents, they'll get some mobile contents with 4 cents value. I stopped upload to IS when they start to sell images for nothing. IS became just not worse time for uploading images, even when I have those. I just upload to other platforms.

19 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

If iam correct, min pay 10 ct, I add around 900 phots a month. I sell 200+ photos, makes me about 20 dollars. This costs me 7 day a week. How can i continue this way. I thought i had future last 2 years. Saw it as a first step in photogrphy And i saw improvement. Your acccount has 47 pictures. Mine 19000+_

We can make it into the news if we really unite. I want to see titles "Shutterstock rewarding it's artists with pennies" on all popular news outlets and tech media providers.

Let's give them what they deserve :). Write your story as a contributor to these media outlets on social media. Someone will pick it up and get traction eventually.

11 hours ago, eskystudio said:

Ladies and guys, can someone with better english than mine  and with the cooler head than mine open a petition at change.org https://www.change.org/ ?

The only theing that can stop corporat greed is us disabling portfpolios/stopping uploads or bad publicity and social  media outrage.

The link is not working !

1 hour ago, skysense said:

Let's all spam SS support, and SS Instagram and Twitter accounts. Since there is not reply on any of contributor complaints.

1 hour ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I still really don't see a problem with this if they are going off the pricing plans now for the customers but I do wonder if customers are really buying $249 for 750 images per month. The on Demand will benefit me greatly since I get about 20 of them a month depending what I am covering and I get out the door. But they do need to explain in detail if customers are more purchasing the higher packs over the 10 - 50. That is why I am wondering why did they mention about 4.90 for the 10 packs. I wonder if the 350 or the 750 might be going away or those prices may change which is more for us in the end. Still there is a lot that needs to be fully explained. Either way the reset will suck for some may be many. But it will only take me a month and I will be in tier 2 or less. Depending what I am covering. Like this month for the memorial services I have over 100 photos sold. 120 to exact. The protests I covered I sold over 200 photos sucks they were all at .33 no ODs either way it will be great for photojournalist that uploading regularly! :)  News moves fast and it keeps on changing. 

But I am not going to keep diving into this drama. I have done my best to keep away from here and focus on making money. So I will keep on uploading and keep on treading along. Either way. I make more at direct sales anyways. Off my site. 

Does this make sense to you? :"Either way. I make more at direct sales anyways. Off my site." Did not for me, unless you see this as some sort of marketing value? PR? 

2 hours ago, Roy F Wylam said:

It is blatantly obvious that the Shareholders of ShutterStock are demanding more dividend money, this is were the problem started.

These people are the 10% in society and just like the 17th and 18th Century Mill owners over here in the UK they would constantly cut the wages of their workers to increase their profits.

It became so bad that riots often broke out and in some cases the army would be sent in to put down the rebellions.

Now that we are in the 21st Century these people are still operating this model of Slavery.

Personally I thought that Slavery had been abolished in that Great Country of the United States of America, but it seems not and this is a Country that bills itself as ‘home of the brave and land of the free’.

The next move by ShutterStock will be to borrow money to pay larger dividends to the shareholders, mortgaging the company’s Contributors earnings to pay this with an ever increasing vicious circle of debt and commission cuts.

In the long term this ‘Business Model’ is doomed as the talent will walk, even in Countries that have very low costs this is unsustainable, ShutterStock will go bust, this may take some time but it will happen, part of the contribution to this will be their own staff moral as these people will be emotionally, mentally and sociologically disturbed with working for a company that is shafting its Contributors, this results in under performing employees and a innate disruption to the company.

I also believe that they could well be breaking UK law in they way they are operating and I need to look into this in greater depth, certainly I think that the European Commission will be interested in the way they are operating.

The reality is that all us contributors are going to have to deal with this problem of greed by the 10% and this will mean walking away from this company and all the hard work that we have put in over the years.

TRUST HAS NOW GONE and once it has, you can never get it back.

The way forward was shown by Adobe, when they took over Fotolia, they did away with subsidiary $1 site that was eating their profits and destroying the credibility of market, they tightened up on the reviewing and increased the Commission rates.

Basically they went for the quality end of the market, and quality always sell’s, well ShutterStock aren’t going to have any quality.

You can see this in the massive spamming of low quality icons, illustrations drawings and crap photo’s, page after page of utter rubbish.

They are making some serious mis-judgements and are now running the Company into the ground, gouging as much cash for the Shareholders as possible, I give them five years and they are finished.

TO END MY RANT

I would just like to say it was great fun for most of the ten years I have been on the site watching new and previous designs sell and drawing away, knowing that my images were selling all over the world, they have a great contributor interface, ShutterStock have always paid on time and have generally been fair. The reality is, since Jon Oringer started selling shares in the last couple of years, these people have clearly put pressure on him to pay more cash.

Personally I believe that from the way they acted in changing the uploading size for Vector Graphics last year, that was completely bonkers, and even though thousands of artists wrote on this Forum the many reasons why this was a stupid change, they refused to take any advice, it should basically have been scrapped and the person or persons responsible, committed to being looked after by a psychiatrist.

It’s all very sad for a once great company and unsustainable.

well said

I have never encountered such a dismissive attitude towards my work. It's humiliating. So many years to work, so that one day the corporation Shutterstock simply took and zeroed my work... 

I draw vectors. I have been trying to produce something for hours. I attach great importance to visuality. After shutterstock started, I am not uploading to other stock sites. I was about to catch the full 3000 USD level. Now a surprise. I think this will be my reward. I do not know what to do. I'll wait a little.

the only way this is not going to happen is if we all, or at least 70% of us stop uploading and disable our portfolios.

what are they gonna do? keep working with 30% of us?? i don't think so.

but is it doable ? i don't think so, because until 31st of december people are still gonna be earning the same so they won't do anything - SS is still my best revenue - but i'm willing to sacrifice it for a better future. are you?