New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Seriously if the contributor community want to make an impact there needs to be organizing as many contributors together to effectively disrupt the new model. I see suggestions to opt-out of sales from 1 June. No need to delete ports unless contributors want to. Just turn them off. There needs to be a clear and concise message and instruction to fellow contributors on various forums on how to opt-out on 1 June, perhaps for a period of two weeks (initially) to send a clear message. A 10% to 20% shutdown of content would suffice to achieve this as shareholders won't be happy with a significant drop in sales and profits.

Key is the contributor community need to strike while the iron is hot because this is the only chance you have to make a difference before emotions settle and a new normal sets in. There won't be another chance.

Just my humble opinion.

A very sensible approach.

June 1st port switch off for 2 weeks initially. 

I'm in. 

You need to post this everywhere. Msg and all other platforms. 

I am struggling to understand a few things.  Firstly why the huge rush to implement this new process, 5 days notice, emails sent out unchecked, and only one representative on hand who can only copy and paste answers? This does not seem right to me; at least have someone available who knows what's going on!  Secondly surely if there is a contractual change we need to be able to opt in or out? With reference to this why is there so little information on payment; we have to wait until it goes live before we are told and then we opt in or out?

Really odd situation.  I am convinced Shutterstock have more details they could inform us with.

I still really don't see a problem with this if they are going off the pricing plans now for the customers but I do wonder if customers are really buying $249 for 750 images per month. The on Demand will benefit me greatly since I get about 20 of them a month depending what I am covering and I get out the door. But they do need to explain in detail if customers are more purchasing the higher packs over the 10 - 50. That is why I am wondering why did they mention about 4.90 for the 10 packs. I wonder if the 350 or the 750 might be going away or those prices may change which is more for us in the end. Still there is a lot that needs to be fully explained. Either way the reset will suck for some may be many. But it will only take me a month and I will be in tier 2 or less. Depending what I am covering. Like this month for the memorial services I have over 100 photos sold. 120 to exact. The protests I covered I sold over 200 photos sucks they were all at .33 no ODs either way it will be great for photojournalist that uploading regularly! :)  News moves fast and it keeps on changing. 

But I am not going to keep diving into this drama. I have done my best to keep away from here and focus on making money. So I will keep on uploading and keep on treading along. Either way. I make more at direct sales anyways. Off my site. 

I wonder how reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st  connected with creating fair opportunities for all our contributors, and rewarding performance with greater earnings potential. Answer: no way! This is simply unreasonable robbery of the contributors during the first months of the year !!! Theft and fraud and nothing else!

I ask the representatives of the photobank to explain why, unilaterally, without warning, the payment conditions change in advance!
I think such changes should be agreed with the representatives of the stockers and agreed in advance!
I urge all stockers to suspend the download and sale of works!

13 minutes ago, Aaron of L.A. Photography said:

I still really don't see a problem with this if they are going off the pricing plans now for the customers but I do wonder if customers are really buying $249 for 750 images per month. The on Demand will benefit me greatly since I get about 20 of them a month depending what I am covering and I get out the door. But they do need to explain in detail if customers are more purchasing the higher packs over the 10 - 50. That is why I am wondering why did they mention about 4.90 for the 10 packs. I wonder if the 350 or the 750 might be going away or those prices may change which is more for us in the end. Still there is a lot that needs to be fully explained. Either way the reset will suck for some may be many. But it will only take me a month and I will be in tier 2 or less. Depending what I am covering. Like this month for the memorial services I have over 100 photos sold. 120 to exact. The protests I covered I sold over 200 photos sucks they were all at .33 no ODs either way it will be great for photojournalist that uploading regularly! :)  News moves fast and it keeps on changing. 

But I am not going to keep diving into this drama. I have done my best to keep away from here and focus on making money. So I will keep on uploading and keep on treading along. Either way. I make more at direct sales anyways. Off my site. 

name one agency that commission change benefits contributors? 

you are not naive, aren't you?

As soon as I read the first lines of this info mail, I knew that this was a huge scam. You could also have simply written dear fotogafen worth a shit. We want more money for ourselves. Just as it really is. I will not waste any more time for SS. Then prefer more for ADOBE. Fortunately, there are still agencies that don't cheat on their photographers!

This is a great mistake and a total disregard for those collaborators who have been shutterstock for years. No matter what you have worked so far, or what you work during the year, each January they lower your level and underestimate the work of everyone. It is a shame. Hopefully Shutter reconsiders, I think it's still on time.

4 minutes ago, Smirnof said:

I ask the representatives of the photobank to explain why, unilaterally, without warning, the payment conditions change in advance!
I think such changes should be agreed with the representatives of the stockers and agreed in advance!
I urge all stockers to suspend the download and sale of works!

Does anybody have a chance to check this thing with lawyers?

5 hours ago, Philip Rozenski said:

Nope but puffery is allowed in marketing.  Could be one more than the 50.  Could mean they only sell on 750 a year.  You will sill need some algebra there.  If you think about it if 50% of their subs in this model were the 350 and user only drew down 200 per month you would have 650K subscribers downloading 130 million images a month...but they only sell 12 million.

Direct from their financial report...

Over 1.9 million active, paying customers contributed to our revenue for the twelve-month period ended March 31, 2020. As of March 31, 2020, more than 1.2 million approved contributors made their images, footage and music tracks available in our collection, which has grown to more than 330 million images and more than 18 million footage clips. This makes our collection of content one of the largest of its kind, and we delivered more than 46 million paid downloads to our customers across all of our brands during the three months ended March 31, 2020.

And I am not saying anyone has to stay or go... but just injecting debate and analyzing hard reported SEC numbers.

I guess we will find out soon enough who is correct when your new .10 commissions start rolling it ;)  

but hopefully we will all disable and not need to find out :)