New earnings structure for Contributors

They could have just as easily made the levels based on a rolling last 12 month sale, so you don't have to claw your way up every year. 

The whole lack of clarity, incorrect mails being sent out, 5 days of notice and lack of clarification is insulting on top of the very very stupid paycut proposed

I suggest we tweet the hell out if it, the stock market is finiky, if they see lots of content moving to competition it might trigger a stock price drop that will hurt them

Also very very public campaigns asking agencies to boycott SS and pointing them to Adobe. Even some large agencies moving out is bound to hurt them and will take business to places where it benefits us. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Primus1 said:

Got it, sure! But question on a place, don't you think so? Why only we, contributors, should take a big part in bad times?

Because corporations are greedy and the only thing they care about is profit.

January is certainly going to be the best time to make money for Shutterstock. We contributors won't be able to bring ourselves to say Happy New Year anymore. It's like a people suffering from heavy taxes. There is no welfare policy.

The federal minimum wage in the US is $7.25 per hour. Divide 725 by 60. The pay per minute is 12 cents. Hence, 10 cents is only worth 50 seconds.

Another voice advocating to switch to a rolling 12 month average as the starting point for January 1st.

It is extremly unfair to all contributors to have all their efforts set back to a COMPLETE ZERO at New Year.

I can live with a subs percentage system and even can see an advantage for new people coming in who work hard. Plus higher levels to aspire to for pros.

But to treat everyones ports as having zero value at the start of the year is just unbelievable.

Please reconsider SS, this is simply not right. And you know it.

5 minutes ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

These are the sales possibilities now. My average per image has been $ 0.35 so far. A rough average as per this table gives me $ 3.46. Still confused though.

Videos - no comment.

S.No. Subscription Plan / month Cost per image          Earning              @ 20%
PHOTO
1 5 images - standard license 9.80 1.96
2 5 images - enhanced license 99.50 19.90
3 10 images per month- monthly no contract 4.90 0.98
4 10 images per month- annual with monthly billing 2.90 0.58
5 10 images per month- annual with advance billing 2.49 0.50
6 25 images - standard license 9.16 1.83
7 25 images - enhanced license 89.80 17.96
8 25 images - enhanced license ($ 1699) 67.96 13.59
9 50 images - monthly no contract 2.50 0.50
10 50 images - annual with monthly billing 1.98 0.40
11 50 images - annual with advance billing 1.63 0.33
12 350 images - monthly no contract 0.57 0.11
13 350 images - annual with monthly billing 0.48 0.10
14 350 images - annual with advance billing 0.39 0.08
15 750 images - monthly no contract 0.33 0.07
16 750 images - annual with monthly billing 0.27 0.05
17 750 images - annual with advance billing 0.22 0.04
VIDEO
1 10 video clips - annual with monthly turnover $ 159 per month 15.90 3.18
2 10 video clips - monthly no contract 35.90 7.18
3 10 video clips - annual with advance billing 13.32 2.66
4 20 video clips - annual with monthly billing 9.95 1.99
5 20 video clips - monthly no contract 33.45 6.69
6 20 video clips - annual with advance billing 8.33 1.67

Since (a) SS says its most popular subscription pack is the 350/mo, (b) most of my downloads are subs, and (c) I'm in tier 3, I expect that my typical commission will drop from 25¢ to 12¢ on June 1. I'll probably see what happens in June and then leave, unless things go way different than I expect.

Shutterstock, why don't you want to hear your contributors? Why are you deleting all negative comments on Instagram? Why don't you want to make a dialoge with your contributors?  You don't hear us! Tell me if there any sane person who is ready to work for 10 cents? It seems like you are making a mock of all of us. 

if somebody with programming (web) skills could start some sort of a "counter system" where contributors could tick if they deactivated or deleted their portfolio (perhaps different category for suspended for 2 weeks, for a month, for whatever period) as a way of a "protest" by assuring that one person (IP address) can only "vote" one time, then we would see how big the displeasure of contributors is and we could make a more intelligent decision if others also want to join some sort of a movement or action!?. and I also guarantee you that SS would check the standing too! but this would only be effective if there is a real participation. otherwise it could be counterproductive and play into SS' game.

Shutterstock, why don't you want to hear your contributors? Why are you deleting all negative comments on Instagram? Why don't you want to make a dialoge with your contributors?  You don't hear us! Tell me if there any sane person who is ready to work for 10 cents? It seems like you are making a mock of all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I have seen the market, I will serve smaller agencies. I will look for an agency and supply this exclusive. Sell less there, but get higher percentages. 

This business model has not even iStock dared. Setting the counter at zero every year... That's a joke.

In business terms, your agency will no longer pay off if you set the expense against the income.

You should ask yourselves ma the question, WHO is doing and has the actual work here and tries to make a living from it.

You need a high quality product in terms of existence, but which the photographers create. 
And the photographers want to be adequately compensated.
IT'S CALLED SYMBIOSIS. WIN-WIN SITUATION.

Among other things there are three good wisdoms here in Germany: 
1. If I want something from someone, I don't kick the person in the shins.
2. one-sided profit maximization ALWAYS interferes with future cooperation, production, their supply chains and causes one of the business sides to always look for alternatives.
3. before it comes to irreparable broken porcelain, always weigh up the pros and cons and then find a compromise on this basis.

What can I say..daring business model and the answer will most likely come next year.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

4 hours ago, GillianVann said:

перепост, чтобы поделиться этим полезным графиком.

Я думаю, мы все узнаем через 2 недели! 

Я никогда не пишу на этих форумах, но сегодня добавляю свой голос несогласия.

I agree

Just now, Ikrill said:

Shutterstock, why don't you want to hear your contributors? 

Oh they'll hear us alright! When there is a mass exodus and scores of contributors leave and take their images with them. That will send the right message. SS are greedy for money. It's only right that we deprive them of that. 

I'm tired of being spit upon by all the different agencies. The only way to put a stop to this is if we band together. As of right now I am creating the Stock Submitters Coalition. It is and will always be free to join. My hope is that we can get enough contributors on board that the companies have to take us seriously when we bring issues to them. The first step is to get an idea of how many people would join such a coalition. I have created a form. If you are interested in putting more control back into the hands of contributors please sign the form. Also share it in every forum and social media outlet you can think of to make its presence known. https://forms.gle/zrq3RswRpYsu6jmq6