New earnings structure for Contributors

@Kate Shutterstock Can you please post the pricing structure with monetary values in the FAQs so there is an official correct one we can all refer too. Why leave it up to contributors to come up with it. I can't believe you corrected one version that it was not right because of the 10c rule and still did not post the pricing structure. Not having one shows an utter lack of transparency. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

now, adobe is much better. if they allow a exclusivity with some extra bonuses, i think shutter can lost many of good microstockers to adobe. for ever. at least i am too stopping new uploads and waiting for good offers from adobe. or can be prefer istock exclusive.

also i think we need a new open market for us. this can be non profit organization like blender 3d. can be like open source and can give most of prices to contributors. for example %75. as a non profit organizations this market can be live and active with their %25. need some heroes for market like this...

Just deleted first 20 images. Tomorrow will continue.

Shutterstock was always the first platform where I upload new content. So it want to be the last. Other stock platforms will get fresh first. And it seems that from January 1st it is no sence to upload new content until you get to some level, because new content will be sold for unfair low price, so it is better to collect for several month new content. Upload to other stocks, and when price on shutter will became higher, only then upload content.

This is a disgusting-sleazy scheme of greed. Adobe Stock is sounding good right now. We need to speak up and give them pressure and move away from shutterstock if they go through with this new pay structure. It's not worth the time and work to get a smaller cut for your work just to align their pockets more. Such a obvious act of greed.

33 minutes ago, Don Landwehrle said:

Did you guys get this part?

Basically if a customer doesn't use all of their pack or subscription, SS keeps ALL of the extra $ instead of dividing it with the photographers who were part of the purchase!!! I'm going to wait a few days into June to see what the new earnings look like before deciding what to do.

"If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment."

of course, the system is all wins for SS

Ok guys, I have to come clean! I have been here for many years but not uploading on regular basis. My portfolio is very small, like 100 something clips. So I should not scream loudest here, but....I have being loyal to SS all the time...that´s makes me angry when knowing I could have prostitute myself and upload all my shit to any site...bummer...

I used to only upload graphics createded in AE, but since a year ago I have invested like $2000 in a drone with a 4K camera, invested like $3500 in a DSLR 4K camera with lenses and backdrops and tripods knowing (or thinking I can get a return of investment)

Two of my bestsellers after investment have been these two clips the last year

https://submit.shutterstock.com/catalog_manager/videos/31816813

https://submit.shutterstock.com/catalog_manager/videos/1035978704

So for fuck sake Shutterstock...you can´t operate with a 5 day horizon...Dear Shutterstock CEO...I hope u will wake with a cucumber in your ........for fucking my investments!

earnings.jpg

I`ve never written to the forum so far. But the news is just shocking. It was already difficult to stay motivated with the new search algorythms, trying to keep improving the quality of the content while competing with tons of similar vectors uploaded every week. Now you cut off our earnings without any clear reason, without any discussion, not giving adequate reaction to the contributors` indignation. And this way of treating people will not only take away your loyal contributors but also strengthen your competitors and create you a bad reputation. And I believe there should be some wisdom in a company working for 17 years.

So I stop uploading new content

18 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

Cry me a river. Who's derailing threads now? Shutterstock is screwing us over, and you are mad cause I want people to know about an option, like others posting about other agencies. Nice try with the big words, maybe look up the meaning before throwing it out there. you are using it incorrectly. 

exactly.  thanks for the info

The worst part is that SS doesn't even worry about threads like this or what we think or that people leave. That was all considered.  I can picture how that meeting went. "You know we will get flack for this"  "So what, You lose some, you win some." "There will always be people who say, better than nothing"  

Did Jon really leave voluntarily or was he outvoted?

1 minute ago, Rudy Umans said:

The worst part is that SS doesn't even worry about threads like this or what we think ir that people leave. That was all considered.  I can picture how that meeting went. "You know we will get flack for this"  "So what, You lose some, you win some." "There will always be people who say, better than nothing"  (like at least one person in this thread, so whoever said that, thanks a lot!)

+1

So you said that after June 1 everyone will be paid based on their download rank which is calculating since the begining of the year, and you anounced it in the middle of the year?

I am talking regardless the unfair commission rates, please be honest, how Shutterstock could think that it is the right time for announcement of such change? Its kind of backstabbing, you shaking the trust of all contributors.

4 minutes ago, kcube said:

So you said that after June 1 everyone will be paid based on their download rank which is calculating since the begining of the year, and you anounced it in the middle of the year?

I am talking regardless the unfair commission rates, please be honest, how Shutterstock could think that it is the right time for such change? Its kind of backstabbing, you shaking the trust of all contributors.

actually June 1 is pretty calculated, as most of those who stay will be in higher tier by now, and won't see the total caca of this reset until Jan 1st, by which time SS assumes people would have accepted their total dictatorial move

I thought it was a joke and the Shutterstock couldn't fall so low.

But no it's true! And you really think that the authors will support you? I have been uploading my content since 2014. I was definitely by your side until this moment.

Really sorry but your collapse is imminent!

It cannot be said enough how disgusting this is. Shutterstock continue to turn a mint, and we all know many of the people licensing our content will likewise be using it to make themselves money. What do WE who work hard and spend thousands on gear to provide the content get? Spat on. (you can replace the P with an H and it would be even more accurate)

SS's fuckery won't hinder my love for travel photography or keep me from submitting to other sites. They've steadily reduced commissions for years but I had no idea they were going right for the very bottom. What will these geniuses do in 8 months when they want to trim commissions even further? 2 cents? 1 cent? I just feel bad for people who depended on and trusted SS for their monthly income. I can't imagine waking up to see 11 downloads and $1.23 in commission. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, CFH DESIGN said:

This is just a joke.

10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips???

No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year....

To get to the current % you would need to sell OVER 2500 clips in a year !!! This is not just INSANE, but absolutely the last straw.

My portfolio will be deleted as soon as I can.

Thanks.

+1

There seems to be just one question in this situation - if we deactivate our photos does it mean they are being taken out of selling right at that very moment? And, if SS comes back to mind later, can they be operatively activated again?

11 minutes ago, Ikars said:

There seems to be just one question in this situation - if we deactivate our photos does it mean they are being taken out of selling right at that very moment? And, if SS comes back to mind later, can they be operatively activated again?

Unless Shutterstock makes changes, disabling your portfolio is close to immediate (database updates may take a little time) and can be undone.

Hi everyone, since I decided to deactivate my video port right after SS decided to try a new size of dildo on our butts, here’s my approach on this new ticking bomb (You will feel it every January 1st):

Start your shop elsewhere, literally: Start selling your work with Facebook shop or even better, start your own site.

I’ve seen the micro riot starting on the forum, but they know (SS) that 99% of us will have no problem selling their work for 10 cents. Why ? Because of the lack of self respect! I don’t think I need to remind you that Getty still has a lot of contributors.

So, take it or leave it, agree or disagree (I don’t really care) this is my idea for you: START YOUR OWN SHOP !

Some may say it’s hard to reach clients, I say all clients use social media. If you work exclusively for yourself and not some corporate leeches, you will sell less at first but you’ll get 90% of the income (more or less, you decide what amount to invest in promoting). Imagine getting 100 dollars for one image (try to sell on a “extended” type of license, because you don’t really know what the client is doing with your image, but hey, neither does SS or any other agency)

Again, these are a few pointers, the main idea being WORK FOR YOURSELF, BE INDEPENDENT !

Good luck and peace on Earth ! ;)

You know, falling of shatterstock began when they cut extended licenses royalty from $28 to something like $14 depending on the price that customers pay, I do not remember how they explained that, but I am sure, they said that is somehow for good of contributors. Most of the contributors from Russia and Ukraine swallowed that, because it still let people live decent living on that income. I am Russian from Canada and that change hit me hard, but still I was making almost minimum canadian wage, hoping that some day I will be able to grow my amount of sales to the level of 2015 or more. However today I realized, that no matter how hard I work creating new illustration, doing research for trends, and creating new vibrant color themes, it does not matter and it will never pay off, at least on shutterstock. These greedy managers will always find a way to take money out of my earnings. Cutting earnings from 38c per image to 10c will drop my income almost in four times. Even working in MacDonalds I will earn more. And this time most of Russian and Ukrainian contributors will not accept these changes, because even for countries with low cost of living, these earnings are too low.  I stop uploading new work for now, and I considering to delete it, because this is shame, the work we do should be paid decently.