New earnings structure for Contributors

The usual. When your director wants to cut your salary to get that part to his self poket, he makes up new rules or reviews the old ones.  He cynically calls it "improvement" and says it's all for the employee's benefit. Yea, taking less money for same work its so good for us. 
It's a pity that the stock community has essentially nothing to answer. 
Yes, we're arguing loudly here, but the only step available to authors is to delete their images. Very few people can do that. 
I separately like the fact that authors' income is cut right during the global crisis. Just for you know who you're dealing with - pure, cynical evil. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Sitthipong Pengjan said:

I would like you to reconsider the new earnings structure again, please. 

Taking in consideration what iStock did, I don't expect them to change nothing. They are already counting in lots of people leaving, a lot more taking the punch, and new people joining that won't be aware of this change at all. This is it, it's not something they threw without thinking, it's a take it or leave it thing. 

I leave.

I think I know what is happening.

New CEO has probably some bonuses coming his way for either hitting some high profit margins or for selling the company. What this thing does is that Shuttertock will show a high profit growth in 2nd and to a much bigger extent in 3rd quarter, by basically stealing money from its contributors - which probably gonna trigger bonus clauses on CEO's contract directly or by pepping the company value up for a sale to a competitor, which would trigger some other bonus clauses.

Because there is simply NO way that Shutterstock will not go down the drain with the massive loss in contributor quality that is going to happen.

10 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

First of all, I am cool.  Secondly, deactivating ports is the only real voice any of us have with Shutterstock's management.  At some point, you have to respect yourself and your work enough that you aren't willing to be used by these people anymore.  I have reached the limit of what I'm willing to take from SS for taking advantage of me.  This is where I draw the line.  I don't much care where you draw yours, just don't tell me where I can draw mine.

Don't take it personal... you're totally right..

This January 1st earnings percentage reset tells you all you need to know about how much Shutterstock values you as a partner.  The reset is arbitrary with no other reason than to give them more of your earnings and pay you less for several months of every year.  They want to "motivate" you to keep putting content up by taking a huge chunk of your commissions until you earn them back EVERY YEAR.  Well, it has certainly motivated me.  It's motivated me to never submit another piece of footage or photo to shutterstock and focus my efforts on my partners that value my work and have a fair pay structure.

I have already disabled my video sales due to them paying me a commission of $0.60 on a video "sale".

Shutterstock just showed you what they think about you as a partner.  They don't respect you.  Work with a company that does.

Hello, everyone! There are so many amazing authors, superbly talented people! This is unreal cool!!! But! Shutterstock, you don't appreciate us... Yes, ladnol, I'm new here and I don't have the coolest jobs, but I will be very sorry to say goodbye to you! You were like my first love... Now you're spitting into your own well. We'll survive because you're not the only one. Will you survive?

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

With this announcement, SS has informed us that we are no longer in a symbiotic relationship with them. 

We haven't been for a long time Phil. Contributors were nothing more than an expense (aka necessary evil) for at least 8 years now. Probably since Anthony left.

12 minutes ago, Dmitry Zimin said:

Shutterstock, um, let me be honest with you. You provided the strongest support and care to all Shutterstock contributors, especially in this tough year. Thank you Shutterstock. The moment for 'exciting news' is well chosen. That was what we really need to in this time. WTF?!  

well said!

Some questions trying to understand the issue:

1) how many contributors are currently working (contributing) to SS?

2) how many are willing to stop uploading?

3) how many are willing to delete their port?

4) how many are really willing to do 2) and 3)?

I really thing we are being abused and robbed. However, we need to be a large, very large, majority of contributors take action and tell SS that they are going to be out of business.  Is it possible?

6 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

So shutterstock will not only cash in 85% of revenue for the first sales a year but also 100% of unused subscription slots over the whole year. That I call pure greed.

And with Video all of the low volume sellers will loose 50% of income because they fall from 30 to 15%.

@Kate Shutterstock can you please show restated earnings totals of 2019. How would the new scheme have affected total payout? How much less or more (??) will be payed out in total. I guess such a calculation has been done before deciding on this new scheme and it would only be fair to shutterstocks partners (the contributors) to show overall changes in payout. We can’t individually do this calculation because we don’t know which plan was used to buy our images. If I understand correctly we would earn more on small packages (15%-40% of 4,90 is more than 0,25-0,38) and much less on large packages?

25 minutes ago, Kleber Cordeiro said:

According to the latest quarterly result, revenue per download is $ 3.42 (https://investor.shutterstock.com/news-releases/news-release-details/shutterstock-reports-first-quarter-2020-financial-results). I earn 15% of that amount per download. In theory, the change could increase our earnings.

I just want to be optimistic.

But that includes video...

7 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

@Kate Shutterstock  Will there be a team of auditors to ensure that the new calculations are being done correctly?  This appears to be a complicated calculation which varies a great deal for each sale.  I simply don't believe it will be done correctly with the rollout.  What is being done to ensure accuracy?  Or, is this a way to "HIDE" earnings rather than being transparent?  You have all the information, we have none.  And I am scared.  Very scared.  This is coming from someone who foolishly left ACCOUNTING, and a CPA certification for photography.  So, I know of which I speak.   Any transition invites mistakes, and your mistakes cost me MONEY.

It's incredible what you are doing to the contributors, if it wasn't bad enough that the agency keeps 60% to 85% of the value on each sale, now you intend to return us each year to level 1? How can you say it's an opportunity for the people like me who have been working for years to build a portfolio? This is absolutely insulting and absurd !!!

I just started to upload some content after a while, but I got for example 0,33-0,99 Eur per image in Adobe stock and here it will be 10cent? It´s not even worth of my upload and time. Okay, let´s focus on photography itself and abandon this site asap :)

Feel sorry for the people, who have here thousand of photos.

This is just spit into their face.

I just started with Shutterstock 2 months ago, fortunately I had one video clip that yielded me $1500, and Shutterstock $4500, not a bad start. I will remove it and repost to another agency and let them get further earnings. A very disappointing business model Shutterstock.

Certainly, you have no loyalty to your long term creative talent, basically zeroing them out every fiscal year, so glad I saw the writing on the wall before providing further material. 

After many years on SS this is my first post in the forums. This announcement is insane, I can't believe they are going to change the earnings just like that, not only ignoring lifetime sales, but the fact that they are going to reset the levels every JAN just makes uploading new content a waste of time, no matter what you do you will always go back to the starting point. Very disapointed, seems like they haven't learned anything from Istock... 

Seriously considering taking my portfolio down since the value of my images and videos is next to nothing already.