New earnings structure for Contributors

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

I'm thinking of abandoning ship too. I also contribute photos to DT, Adobe and Alamy but to be honest, my sales are crap at those agencies. I used to do decently at AS but that changed some time ago. Photo sales are generally much better here. So with pulling my port at SS, I think my photo sales will really plummet. 

I get the majority of my photo sales on SS too.  My AS port is 1/10th the size.  Disabling my port on SS will hurt as well as I like seeing people buy my photography and videos.  But this is insulting.  

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, abu_zeina said:

although the 15% is a total robbery, its better than nothing..

Saying 15% is better than nothing is like saying you'd rather be punched in the face than kicked in the balls.  Neither is good from my perspective.

OK SS. For example, I sold 100 photos by subscription (0.38 cents) and only 1 demand. Now I would earn about $ 40. How much will I earn at level 5? About $ 13 Really?
I pay, models, studio, light. I barely have enough of the money that I earn now. Most likely, I will simply stop making professional content and will load low-rated content that I will get for free. This will be the problem of your servers. You shoot yourself.

5 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

Do you really believe what you wrote? 

If you take a whole year's performance to set the starting level at each year we're still have to focus on getting good content so that we remain in that level all year long and keep the earnings level. You may probably heard about Sisyphus. This is it, Shutterstock actually placed a curse on us contributors, and to top it all you try to convince us that it's actually in our own benefit.

I already asked my account to be closed. It makes no sense to keep uploading stuff.

5 minutes ago, Natwood said:

Microstocks do not form artist but artists form microstocks. So we just should choose microstocks which pay fair percent. We can made them big.

I never considered 20-25% a fair percent. But 15% is just a kick in the teeth. I think SS contributors will stay here for several months to see how this new regime will look in action and then many of them will leave.

There is a British microstock which pays 40% for not exclusive images and 50% for exclusive. I'm going to focus on that microstock.

Can you share this website with us? 

5 minutes ago, Natwood said:

Microstocks do not form artist but artists form microstocks. So we just should choose microstocks which pay fair percent. We can made them big.

I never considered 20-25% a fair percent. But 15% is just a kick in the teeth. I think SS contributors will stay here for several months to see how this new regime will look in action and then many of them will leave.

There is a British microstock which pays 40% for not exclusive images and 50% for exclusive. I'm going to focus on that microstock.

Can you give us the name?

If you're serious about deleting your account and not looking back, as I am, I was told to email the request to:

Privacy@shutterstock.com

I requested final pay out and that my account to be deleted.  I'm not selling my photos for a 15% payout every January and work back up from scratch.  Frankly, if you value your work, this is offensive.  For what it is worth, I showed the proposed payout to my 11 year old daughter, her response...  "That's stupid, why would they do that?"  Based on the sound advice of my 5th grader, Shutterstock is in my rear view mirror. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

Saying 15% is better than nothing is like saying you'd rather be punched in the face than kicked in the balls.  Neither is good from my perspective.

Phil, cool down

Deleting the content or stopping to license the content will not solve the matter...

Well, I for one will be holding off on uploading new content to Shutterstock until it is clear that we aren't being completely shafted.  I will send my new content to stock agencies that actually value my contributions.  Anything less that 35% is simply unacceptable for someone with $20,000 in lifetime earnings.

NEW CONTENT STRIKE!!!!

1 minute ago, abu_zeina said:

Phil, cool down

Deleting the content or stopping to license the content will not solve the matter...

First of all, I am cool.  Secondly, deactivating ports is the only real voice any of us have with Shutterstock's management.  At some point, you have to respect yourself and your work enough that you aren't willing to be used by these people anymore.  I have reached the limit of what I'm willing to take from SS for taking advantage of me.  This is where I draw the line.  I don't much care where you draw yours, just don't tell me where I can draw mine.

5 hours ago, Peter Douglas Clark said:

This is an insult.  Shutterstock already paid the least of any of the places I upload to, and now it will be lower.  I keep track of sales across all my agencies, and while I sell more on Shutterstock, the actual revenue has been among the lowest.  Clearly I will now only focus on other sites and largely ignore Shutterstock.

Adobestock rules so far... eventhouhg with its handicaps

5 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

How is the fair reward for content that was in demand, performing well,  and licensed on December 31st worth less than the fair reward for content licensed on January 1st?  Answer me that.

I have almost 150K lifetime downloads. To say I start over from zero every January 1st is more than insulting. I may make a decent amount with Shutterstock, but if they don't reconsider this greedy and short-sighted decision, my portfolio comes down June 1st.

3 minutes ago, eskystudio said:

No need to cool down, I agee with Phil. You can't cool down when you are being robbed.

Right..

either you delete the valuable content, and move to another agency

or keep the content here, stop uploading here... instead, upload on new promising agency; Adobe Stock

that what have been discussed when istock made the same decision about 10 years ago... majority of contributors have kept their content on IS, and all new content were uploaded to SS...

Hmmm...
I'm thinking about deleting my port and then reupload via wirestock...? They should sell 25000 images in no time, OK, they take 15% of income but it seems like a minor tradeoff considering that I should be in top tier all the time... what do you think?

5 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

It's a carrot and stick approach to getting us to work harder.  The problem is, we all get nothing but stick for the first few months of every new year.  That's not the way to incentivize people to contribute more.

Unfortunately that's just not true. Not to be argumentative but in order to climb you have to sell. As you always did. But when you did you got a ... I'll be generous, a tolerable amount. Now you wont. And you will continue to wont until your images are sold. Now if that aspect of it were down to you flogging your wares out of the boot of your car, working harder could work. But the selling bit is down to them. And hows that been going for many people.

And instead of rising above the competition by offering quality they've taken the piss. Demanding A1 quality for beggars money and now they are selling our photos for the price of dirt. Well less than dirt. 

Quality photos for dirt. Instead of reinforcing the market with quality they've smashed the quality argument to peices and devalued all of it to the point of  no return. Race to the bottom has just broken in to a sprint. 

Meh... SS .... good luck with that. Stack it high, sell it cheap doesn't bring in more trade. Because we live in an increasingly ethical society so you'll just be absorbed when your bloated catalogues dwindle. And it will happen very very fast. Faster than you have counted on. 

When people look into this they search for articles on how to do it. Inevitably they'll end up on utube. And when that clip shows how much you pay for an image compared to others. You wont get a look in. 

Your editorial will dwindle first because it's quite a fresh product. And then your commercial will become stale. Contributors will experience slow sales and you will reduce reviewers to cost save so reviews will take a week or more. 

Anyhooooooo 😁

19 minutes ago, Bill Chizek said:

"That's stupid, why would they do that?"  Based on the sound advice of my 5th grader... 

totally agree. I wonder in what kind of state of mind they made such a decision, which is so depressing for contributors, and even lesive for their public image, in my opinion.

I wonder if this comes to the attention of the media (and it should, in my opinion, because of the large number of  Shutterstock customers in online and offline press)  that the company where they buy images is essentially rubbish-paying creators... So, they've damaged themselves already. The punishment is just embedded in the act they did.

Why send out a survey to your "valuable" contributors on how to improve your overall experience for everybody and then 1 month later pull something like this out of the hat? We now know, you don't care about us. It's both demotivating and it hurts creativity when a company we supposed to share our art with are based on pure greed. Well done, and thank god we have Adobe stock who support and value their top contributors with FREE software plans. If i see a sale from Shutterstock under 30 cent im out.