Jump to content

New earnings structure for Contributors


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Naci Yavuz said:

i am at level 5.

level 5!

level 5!

level 5!

what is this 0.10 cent?

Is it a joke?

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 14.46.01.png

I'm at level 3 too. Something caught my attention. The number of people/brands that signed an annual agreement was 0.10 cents per download. It's starting to get my attention now. I think the new payout was 0.11 cents. They made a raise. 😁

When a corporate brand with an annual agreement bought my work, I was getting 0.10 cents. Now the contract has been renewed at the beginning of July. I noticed that I got 0.11 cents from new purchases.

I wonder if there is a restructuring in the fee for us after contract renewals. 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Just when you think Shutterstock couldn't completely and utterly screw the contributors and more you've gone and done it. Effectively with a January reset everybody gets a cut of 20% or more of e

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, fatihaydintr said:

I'm at level 3 too. Something caught my attention. The number of people/brands that signed an annual agreement was 0.10 cents per download. It's starting to get my attention now. I think the new payout was 0.11 cents. They made a raise. 😁

When a corporate brand with an annual agreement bought my work, I was getting 0.10 cents. Now the contract has been renewed at the beginning of July. I noticed that I got 0.11 cents from new purchases.

I wonder if there is a restructuring in the fee for us after contract renewals. 🤔

Contracts are none of my business.
I want to get the commission I deserve.
If not, I'm thinking of deleting my portfolio. What is this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, RukiMedia said:

it's just disgusting to see how SS stole money from our pockets. It is just pure capitalism. 

I didn't upload a single image this year and will never upload. Instead I am spending my time with Adobe! 

 

Sadly, Adobe is dead in downloads compared to SS (at least for me).
July - Adobe 7x downloads VS Shutterstock 77x downloads. But yes, Adobe has slightly better average price for download.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2021 at 2:50 PM, Naci Yavuz said:

i am at level 5.

level 5!

level 5!

level 5!

what is this 0.10 cent?

Is it a joke?

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 14.46.01.png

I read it on SS' T&C - these are the images downloaded with the free trial they offer next to each image in your portfolio. You get 0.10 each time an image is downloaded for free, no matter your current level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBframes said:

I read it on SS' T&C - these are the images downloaded with the free trial they offer next to each image in your portfolio. You get 0.10 each time an image is downloaded for free, no matter your current level.

0k. 0.10 cent for free download. 

What are these?

0.11

0.12

0.13

0.14

0.15

0.16

0.17

0.20

0.22

don't be stupid.

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 16.27.07.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 16.26.54.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Naci Yavuz said:

 

don't be stupid.

 

Sorry, should I be offended answering a frequently asked question in this thread?

 

27 minutes ago, Naci Yavuz said:

 

What are these?

0.11

0.12

0.13

0.14

0.15

0.16

0.17

0.20

0.22

 

Maybe the answer is written somewhere out of the forums on SS' T&C?  I'm still far from Level 5 to ask.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Naci Yavuz said:

0k. 0.10 cent for free download. 

What are these?

0.10 is not free image.

If you go to the pricing page and do the math according to your level, you will see where they come from.

Last year when the commission cut happened, we drove ourselves crazy with calculations but still didn't find all the answers. Since last year things changed to the worse, impossible to find all the answers .

If you go back in this thread, you will find some more unanswered question. You take what they pay you, or leave, that is the only answer.

Here is a chart I made last year, it is just a part of the variants. It changes by country, by currency (exchange), and who knows what else.

669018583_subsprice3bun-Copy.jpg.5b6eaa8c502f2aac78208255ae83c0c3.jpg

Have fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

is it just me or is stock photography dead?? last year, when I wasn't uploading for some time time..on any agency..I was still earning decent money..granted, SS was my main source of income so income plummeted with their new payments, but still, I was never expecting to earn this little lately...wtf is going on?? where are people buying their images these days? or are they just not buying anymore??

I have realised that people are satisfied with terrible pics..is this it? they shoot it themselves and don't pay anymore??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpessaris said:

is it just me or is stock photography dead?? last year, when I wasn't uploading for some time time..on any agency..I was still earning decent money..granted, SS was my main source of income so income plummeted with their new payments, but still, I was never expecting to earn this little lately...wtf is going on?? where are people buying their images these days? or are they just not buying anymore??

I have realised that people are satisfied with terrible pics..is this it? they shoot it themselves and don't pay anymore??

No, stock photography isn't dead but the business model has changed. It has become a commodity and subscription product. High volume, low margins. If you want to make money, you need a big portfolio and you need to be adding to it all the time. My earnings are relatively close to where they were last year but on 38% more sales.

Given that the nature of the model has changed, it is up to the contributor to decide if this is a business they want to be in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, Whiteaster said:

0.10 is not free image.

Sorry, I might interpreted it incorrect. Here is what I read:

 

Quote

Q: How much do I earn if a customer downloads my content during a “free trial”?

A: When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.

 

P.S. your price graph is very useful. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SBframes said:

Sorry, I might interpreted it incorrect. Here is what I read:

 

 

P.S. your price graph is very useful. Thank you!

You are welcome!


Well, here at SS it is very easy to interpret many things incorrectly. It can happen to anyone but we all get used to it in time.

In the quoted text they speak about two different things:


1. free trial, which is not always as it sounds. It will automatically turn into a paid subscription—unless you (the buyer) decide to cancel beforehand ( https://donotpay.com/learn/shutterstock-free-trial/)

and

2. free images, unpaid from what I know, are Shutterstock’s free images of the week https://www.shutterstock.com/discover/free-stock-photo

I hope this makes more sense now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to have made a major mistake. I thought as a contributor I am also customer of the Shutterstock service. I thought the deal was to pay Shutterstock to bring creators and users together.

I don't feel like I am being treated like a customer and I think after looking at the situation for more than a year I'll forgo their service from now on.
Fortunately, I only got in here to show off a little, but the minimal return is no longer worth the effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Profits at Alamy will also fall next year. I don't sell much, but at a good price. Next year, the low-selling people will go from 40% to 20%.
A boring forum, but now people are grumbling about the measure. 

Some people even seem to have left Alamy. That sounds familiar. .😁

I've stopped uploading on Alamy, mainly because I want to focus more on footages... but as I can see that on other platforms I start to sell as well, I might reconsider. It's just that I don't have to much time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, Naci Yavuz said:

0k. 0.10 cent for free download. 

What are these?

0.11

0.12

0.13

0.14

0.15

0.16

0.17

0.20

0.22

don't be stupid.

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 16.27.07.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 16.26.54.png

As I understand it SB Frames was talking about images downloaded for free when he was talking about the 10c payout. Were these images that obviously earned more than 10c downloaded for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, Thijs de Graaf said:

It appears that Alamy has dropped to 0.21. Next year, that will drop even further for some people. Because then they go from 40% to 20% among the people who don't sell very well. Then you are very close to 0.10.

Adobe is now the highest of stock sites, where I upload photos, with its minimum price of 0.33

Likewise. Adobe is by far the best platform.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...