New earnings structure for Contributors

On 1/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Woohooo!!! Fantastic, Andreas! I'm so jealous! Unfortunately, my statistics for today show only 6 downloads so far. All of them for $ 0.10.

I hit a new high! After 24 DLs above the 100 threshold my highest sale is now 0,15 USD. So I got 20 DLs for 0,10, 3 for 0,11 and one for 0,15. One could think of a conspiracy theory that after hitting the 100 threshold you only get traffic from high volume buyers to steer the precious sales to the portfolios where SS gets 85% of the revenue 😁.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

I hit a new high! After 24 DLs above the 100 threshold my highest sale is now 0,15 USD. So I got 20 DLs for 0,10, 3 for 0,11 and one for 0,15. One could think of a conspiracy theory that after hitting the 100 threshold you only get traffic from high volume buyers to steer the precious sales to the portfolios where SS gets 85% of the revenue 😁.

Note: 295 😉

They actually make more money on the higher value downloads, like the 15¢ so the conspiracy should be, they are steering buyers to you instead of the cheap big package subs. I can explain the math if you want, but I know you are smart and pay attention. 👍

For anyone else, they are paying higher than our level commission to make up for the under 10¢ subs, (the real commission would be 3 cents for example) but at the higher levels, we get our real commission and they are keeping more of those sales.

The 10c subs can actually cost SS money.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, HodagMedia said:

They actually make more money on the higher value downloads, like the 15¢ so the conspiracy should be, they are steering buyers to you instead of the cheap big package subs. I can explain the math if you want, but I know you are smart and pay attention. 👍

For anyone else, they are paying higher than our level commission to make up for the under 10¢ subs, (the real commission would be 3 cents for example) but at the higher levels, we get our real commission and they are keeping more of those sales.

uhh perhaps we should make those strategic decisions a field of study on Shutter University. 😇

22 hours ago, Michael Warwick said:

How the heck do I make only 14 cents for an On Demand sale at level 3?

Please understand, don't shoot the messenger but:

SS-earnings-level-June-2020.jpg

Buyer paid 56¢ you got 25%.

22 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

uhh perhaps we should make those strategic decisions a field of study on Shutter University. 😇

Sure thing, just some interesting math that isn't really apparent when we're looking at that small thin dime.

2 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Please understand, don't shoot the messenger but:

SS-earnings-level-June-2020.jpg

Buyer paid 56¢ you got 25%.

Sure thing, just some interesting math that isn't really apparent when we're looking at that small thin dime.

OK, but I have not received anything less than $1.47 for and On Demand and typically over $2. SS has now told me my level has nothing to do with it and it is dependent on the customer subscription rate. I have gotten conflicting answers from them. Does anyone really trust SS to get this right for us?

25 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

OK, but I have not received anything less than $1.47 for and On Demand and typically over $2. SS has now told me my level has nothing to do with it and it is dependent on the customer subscription rate. I have gotten conflicting answers from them. Does anyone really trust SS to get this right for us?

You get a percentage of what the buyer pays.

That's for everything, no matter what name they call it or what we call it. Yes there are On Demand Subscriptions, bad term, like Royalty Free. The On Demand packs are for images, for a year, with no monthly limits, just an annual.

New York, NY — Aug 5, 2008 —Shutterstock the world's largest subscription-based online stock photo agency, unveiled four new "On Demand" subscription plans today. These innovative lower-commitment plans allow subscribers to download stock photos, illustrations and vectors anytime over a one-year period without any daily or monthly download limits.

Yet single and other they don't call a subscription, but people can buy multiples of those?

Royalty payments based on a percentage of sales price will be based on the sales price actually received by Shutterstock and calculated after making any necessary deductions for any refunds, cancellations, previous overpayments, and any taxes, levies, imposts, duties, currency exchange costs, or other similar charges that are imposed on the payments received by Shutterstock.

Section 8 h

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

That's for everything, no matter what name they call it or what we call it. Yes there are On Demand Subscriptions, bad term, like Royalty Free. The On Demand packs are for images, for a year, with no monthly limits, just an annual.

New York, NY — Aug 5, 2008 —Shutterstock the world's largest subscription-based online stock photo agency, unveiled four new "On Demand" subscription plans today. These innovative lower-commitment plans allow subscribers to download stock photos, illustrations and vectors anytime over a one-year period without any daily or monthly download limits.

Yet single and other they don't call a subscription, but people can buy multiples of those?

Royalty payments based on a percentage of sales price will be based on the sales price actually received by Shutterstock and calculated after making any necessary deductions for any refunds, cancellations, previous overpayments, and any taxes, levies, imposts, duties, currency exchange costs, or other similar charges that are imposed on the payments received by Shutterstock.

Section 8 h

Thanks for that info. That is consistent with what SS now tells me...your content is purchased at a discounted price, you will receive a percentage consistent with your earnings level based on the discounted license value received by Shutterstock. So, On Demand does not mean what it use to. It is just another subscription package in a different form. I wish we could request/demand an audit.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, HodagMedia said:

Your statements are simply not true. Shutterstock earns much more than 85% on level 1 because close to nobody used their full image download quota and some might even download 30 o 40 images of their 750 allowance. And in this case Shutterstock keep 95% of the sale because remember we are not taking individual sales here, this is the fallacy we are talking about subscription packages and here the percentage calculated for contributors is not true and favours even more Shutterstock. 

If they would split once every month is over among the contributors about what the subscriber paid then you would see sometimes dollars when there are only a few. This never happens because the rules are not meant to be about equallity and fair treatment they are to favour maximum profit for the agency and not the contributor. 

17 hours ago, Michael Warwick said:

Thanks for that info. That is consistent with what SS now tells me...your content is purchased at a discounted price, you will receive a percentage consistent with your earnings level based on the discounted license value received by Shutterstock. So, On Demand does not mean what it use to. It is just another subscription package in a different form. I wish we could request/demand an audit.

Right, if they sell a download of my photo for 50 cents, I'd get 0.075 cents, but we have the minimum (ha ha, thanks for the bonus) and I'd get 10 cents. But more real, if they get $2.50 then I get 37.5 cents. And looking at the numbers you posted and my on demands, when I get over $2 at a higher level, that's more than the old flat rates sometimes.

We are losing on the subs and making more on the SO and OD. But not enough to make up for what we are losing from the less on the subs.

I'm still not happy with the annual resent and it could have been rolling or based on the last six months sales. This reset is just not along normal lines for RC or quotas or anything that's fairly based on actual performance. If the agency is supposed to be honestly rewarding us for our work and sales, why would they cut our heads off, every 12 months. Just not right.

6 hours ago, aluxum said:

Your statements are simply not true. Shutterstock earns much more than 85% on level 1 because close to nobody used their full image download quota and some might even download 30 o 40 images of their 750 allowance. And in this case Shutterstock keep 95% of the sale because remember we are not taking individual sales here, this is the fallacy we are talking about subscription packages and here the percentage calculated for contributors is not true and favours even more Shutterstock. 

If they would split once every month is over among the contributors about what the subscriber paid then you would see sometimes dollars when there are only a few. This never happens because the rules are not meant to be about equallity and fair treatment they are to favour maximum profit for the agency and not the contributor. 

Nice hypothetical argument but two points. For everything except subs, we are paid at the stated rate for our level. Will you accept that? If not please explain, why not?

Then that leaves subs: And if we are going to deal in what if. Then when someone does buy a 750 pack, and pays .22 an image and DOES download all their allowed images. What are we supposed to get paid. You would be happy with 3.3 cents a download? That's what you are asking for?

"because close to nobody used their full image download quota and some might even download 30 o 40 images of their 750 allowance" Where did you get those figures and facts "close to nobody"?

Why would someone (assuming they are not idiots) pay for a 750 pack, and only download 30-40 images? They could have a 350 for much less? Is that how you buy things? Like a case of bananas and then you eat 8 and throw away the rest because they are more than you can ever use?

But if you are arguing that you would like to make the real percentage and get, 3.3 cents and slightly more for the 750, or 8.5 cents for the 350 packs, at best at best, I don't understand why? You are seriously saying you want them to pay us less? 🙁 And that will make you happy?

Please explain in real numbers and facts why you want to make less and down to under 4 cents a download/ Why?

I think something else might be at play which I'd like to propose. The annual 750 packs, paid in advance rate is what API partners pay for our images. Or better stated what we get paid for API partner downloads, even though it's not actually a 750 pack, it could be a 9,999 and up pack. Every time you get a 10c download just imagine, could I be getting 3.3 cents instead? Would that make me happier?

2 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Nice hypothetical argument but two points. For everything except subs, we are paid at the stated rate for our level. Will you accept that? If not please explain, why not?

Then that leaves subs: And if we are going to deal in what if. Then when someone does buy a 750 pack, and pays .22 an image and DOES download all their allowed images. What are we supposed to get paid. You would be happy with 3.3 cents a download? That's what you are asking for?

"because close to nobody used their full image download quota and some might even download 30 o 40 images of their 750 allowance" Where did you get those figures and facts "close to nobody"?

Why would someone (assuming they are not idiots) pay for a 750 pack, and only download 30-40 images? They could have a 350 for much less? Is that how you buy things? Like a case of bananas and then you eat 8 and throw away the rest because they are more than you can ever use?

But if you are arguing that you would like to make the real percentage and get, 3.3 cents and slightly more for the 750, or 8.5 cents for the 350 packs, at best at best, I don't understand why? You are seriously saying you want them to pay us less? 🙁 And that will make you happy?

Please explain in real numbers and facts why you want to make less and down to under 4 cents a download/ Why?

I think something else might be at play which I'd like to propose. The annual 750 packs, paid in advance rate is what API partners pay for our images. Or better stated what we get paid for API partner downloads, even though it's not actually a 750 pack, it could be a 9,999 and up pack. Every time you get a 10c download just imagine, could I be getting 3.3 cents instead? Would that make me happier?

I have asked SS to tell me what the customer is paying, to be transparent so we have a clue as to what to expect as our payout. Is an On Demand sale just another sub these days. Their response...I’ll need to review this information with my team. We will get back to you as soon as possible and thank you for your patience while we look into this matter.

56 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

I have asked SS to tell me what the customer is paying, to be transparent so we have a clue as to what to expect as our payout. Is an On Demand sale just another sub these days. Their response...I’ll need to review this information with my team. We will get back to you as soon as possible and thank you for your patience while we look into this matter.

From my experience you won't get an answer.

10 minutes ago, Michael Warwick said:

If not, I will write to them directly to NY corporate headquarters. Contributors have a right to know their pricing structure to customers that results in widely erratic contributor payouts. 

You will never get an answer, Michael. It is Shutterstock's secret and they will never let you know - that much is sure!

On 1/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, HodagMedia said:

You are so out of reality that it is even funny. Most of the customers are far from downloading the quota . How do I know because I am a pro photographer that is in touch with a lot of customers that have microstock subscriptions.

How about you? Where do you get your numbers? Because your crunching are totally wrong. Not based on evidence or experience. Just speculation. You can write 100 posts here but your numbers are made up in the air. Who knows why. You might have your reasons. But as you are spreading misinformation there are some that will come here to refute that.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, Michael Warwick said:

But I keep trying until I frustrate them to no end. I would like to know the pricing structure to customers who only pay 56 cents for an On Demand sale.

I'd like to know that too. But once again it could be a big contract like Printify? They charge $1.59 to use a SS commercial image (no editorial seem to appear) Lets say, and I'm making this up 100%, Pritntify gets half that, 79c and SS gets half, 79c, we get 15% which would be - 12 cents. That's an On Demand? If it's a sub, I'd get a dime because they get a volume discount.

But you are correct, we'd have to know who's getting a price like 56 cents.

I'm starting at level 1: for each dollar paid, this is pretty simple math, we get

15c, 20c, 25c, 30c, 35c and 40c.

I just got an OD for $1.20, the buyer paid $8 for the use.

If someone pays 56 cents for an image use, we'd get 10c. (8.4¢ is the real 15%) Level 4 you would get 17 cents?

Here's the level 1. Multiple whatever you get credit for x 6.66 and that's what the buyer paid.

Level 4 multiply by 3.33. That's what the buyer paid.

We don't know the details but we can calculate the actual numbers.

4 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

I'd like to know that too. But once again it could be a big contract like Printify? They charge $1.59 to use a SS commercial image (no editorial seem to appear) Lets say, and I'm making this up 100%, Pritntify gets half that, 79c and SS gets half, 79c, we get 15% which would be - 12 cents. That's an On Demand? If it's a sub, I'd get a dime because they get a volume discount.

But you are correct, we'd have to know who's getting a price like 56 cents.

I'm starting at level 1: for each dollar paid, this is pretty simple math, we get

15c, 20c, 25c, 30c, 35c and 40c.

I just got an OD for $1.20, the buyer paid $8 for the use.

If someone pays 56 cents for an image use, we'd get 10c. (8.4¢ is the real 15%) Level 4 you would get 17 cents?

Here's the level 1. Multiple whatever you get credit for x 6.66 and that's what the buyer paid.

Level 4 multiply by 3.33. That's what the buyer paid.

We don't know the details but we can calculate the actual numbers.

And so far the response is "In order to provide you with the best solution for this issue, I’ll need to review this information with my team"