New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Alex Vitanov said:

As a former trade unionist and I've seen many companies do the same thing SS did. Writing complains to company's chief staff does nothing in most cases and signals get ignored. That's exactly what we witness right now and it's of no surprise to me. But in 'real life' you can also send a complain to a higher authority that the company violates minimum wage laws. All European countries have minimum wage laws and it's a very common procedure. I'm not familiar how things are in other countries though. Is such thing possible in SS case?

These aren't wages and we aren't employees.

Roughly speaking, independent contractors. I work that way myself during the year, we get a day rate. Someone filed a claim with the state, basically what you are saying, claiming we get below minimum wage, and the answer is, as a hired independent, there is no minimum wage.

If they pay me $100 a day, and I work 12 hours or 7 hours, I get paid the same.

Back to here, we are paid a percentage or a set commission, on what the person paid to license the image. That's not a wage.

6 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Btw do new percentages apply immediately after passing the threshold or next day or whatever? Will we get a “congratulatory” email?

Midnight in New York at the Empire State Building. :) And last time I checked they back date to the time of the download that clicked you over. It just takes until the end of day to make the changes. You don't lose anything.

2 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

If you have already left the first 100 dls behind you, you must have gotten the “congratulatory” e-mail.

Well I didn't get the email, but I also didn't get the email concerning the "New Earnings Structure" EO May last year. And in my Spam folder there are only bitcoin and blue pills messages.

39 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

Well I didn't get the email, but I also didn't get the email concerning the "New Earnings Structure" EO May last year. And in my Spam folder there are only bitcoin and blue pills messages.

Well, then at least that's consistent, Andreas. Then there must be a problem with the e-mail communication between shutterstock and you.

15 minutes ago, Jes Abeita said:

I turned off licensing once this happened and only turned it back on Jan 1st.

Well that's a strange strategy. I thought I anyway invested time into the stuff I already uploaded and at least wanted to reap the benefits of a higher initial tier in 2020. So I stopped uploading immediately after May 25th and had a look at how my earnings developed to later decide whether to delete my port completely come Jan 1st. As I stated earlier in this thread I encountered a 9.9% loss until EOY according to my shadow accounting of real sales on level 4 and projected a total loss of income of 18.1% for 2021 with the reset to level 1 and a gradual climbing in the ranks over the year. Since the content is aging anyways I finally decided not to delete my images but to continue to stand on the sidelines concerning new uploads. My new stuff performs very well at the other agencies - Shutterstock will not get it for 0,10$ a DL.

Shutterstock always was the first stock I had uploaded new photos, because there was biggest earnings. At first there was 5 time bigger than in Fotolia, then.. 3 times.. 2019 it was about 2 times.. Now Adobe stock brings 2 times more earnings. Profit from Shutterstock has dropped on 95% for the last 4 years. And not just earnings, amount of downloads dropped 4 times. So don't blame shutter that they try to squeeze last drops from contributors. They just lost. Other stock agencies took the leadership. One day it happened with Ice, and now with shutter.

Bye bye Shutterstock....!

35$ for 165 pictures. I am not your german milk farmer.

It's been good years, but now we have to part. I wish everyone who stays, all the best and best income from this mafia association.

Addendum: it is not even possible to delete your account. Absolute madness. You can no longer delete your account with the delete account button. You have to contact the support. And the support is literally outsourced. The first answer was ... it can take up to 90 days for your account to be deleted. Madness. In everything Shutter does, only bad.

I will always edit my entry here whenever I know something new.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:34 PM, vesperstock said:

You will most likely hear from another contributor who will offer their opinion but nothing from a SS employee because that's how SS has set up "support" now

Exactly, but after an unsatisfactory answer it was sent to a real employee according tot he help system. Let’s see what happens.

1 hour ago, Andreas Prott said:

Exactly, but after an unsatisfactory answer it was sent to a real employee according tot he help system. Let’s see what happens.

Just got the the answer - could also have gotten from a bot. It was just an explanation how the new earnings structure works. Has absolutely nothing to do with the reason for my ticket. It’s just not possible to get any meaningful support from this company. At least I got this email 🙂

I'm a pretty mediocre photographer with not too grand expectations but to date I have 52 downloads in January with a grand total of of $10.15 cents earnings.  A total insult from a company that meets all the characteristics that merit a description of uncaring, exploitative, insulting, and shabby. Why am i still here? Because I haven't the confidence to go. I enjoy photography and I enjoy the feeling every time one of my images is downloaded. We have a saying, " Stay Alive old horse and you will get grass"

12 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Wow since passing the 100 mark for stills I had eleven downloads for whopping 1,11$. So I gained 1% by moving from a 15% share to 20%.

Previos system 
0.38 x 3 = 1.14 $
0.25 x 5 = 1.25 $

New system with "fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential"
10x 0.10 + 1x0.11 = 1.11$