New earnings structure for Contributors

On 1/2/2021 at 11:44 AM, Nannycz said:

Unfortunately, I think there is enough ppl willing to upload for peanuts... Hence, they will survive fine without those few who stop contributing, but for many of those, SS is the main microstock income source... 🙁

It WAS the main microstock income source...I had 300$ per month before all this happened, now I have 2$ and it is 6th January.........

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

And posts are being removed again from here🤨

Really, what did they say? I mean removed for opinion and position or for the words and language used? I'm actually surprised the moderators are as lenient as they are in allowing so many critical accusations and false claims.

Next message is 293, just as a counter and kind of bookmark.

5 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Wow. Up to now this year a RPD of way below 20 cents. And the main competitor sold more than 2 times as much images for exactly 10x the revenue. Way to go Shutterstock!

Disappointing isn't that? Talk about killing any interest or motivation.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, Andreas Prott said:

Wow. Up to now this year a RPD of way below 20 cents. And the main competitor sold more than 2 times as much images for exactly 10x the revenue. Way to go Shutterstock!

This "main competitor" just started selling image bundles through their template section, though. That's the next threat our industry will be facing, IMHO. Single images have already been devalued, more complex products and collections will be next. Sorry to say that, but AS isn't "all good" at all, either.

12 hours ago, AKaiser said:

This "main competitor" just started selling image bundles through their template section, though. That's the next threat our industry will be facing, IMHO. Single images have already been devalued, more complex products and collections will be next. Sorry to say that, but AS isn't "all good" at all, either.

Did the commission change? What's the template section?

On 1/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, HodagMedia said:

Did the commission change? What's the template section?

Templates sell in different formats - such as PSDs and vector templates. 
AS approved me as a contributor to this category some time ago (You still need to submit those directly to their team.), but I decided that I didn't want to compete against my own products elsewhere and didn't upload anything. A couple of weeks ago I contacted them again asking whether I was still "in" - apparently I wasn't. And currently there's a waiting list for people to apply for being allowed to submit to this category.
As for the commissions, I don't have any clue. They didn't even tell me what I was supposed to earn for a template when I was accepted. That was just one reason why I didn't join. :) 
A few more cents than for "usual" images, I think, though.

8 hours ago, AKaiser said:

Templates sell in different formats - such as PSDs and vector templates. 
AS approved me as a contributor to this category some time ago (You still need to submit those directly to their team.), but I decided that I didn't want to compete against my own products elsewhere and didn't upload anything. A couple of weeks ago I contacted them again asking whether I was still "in" - apparently I wasn't. And currently there's a waiting list for people to apply for being allowed to submit to this category.
As for the commissions, I don't have any clue. They didn't even tell me what I was supposed to earn for a template when I was accepted. That was just one reason why I didn't join. :) 
A few more cents than for "usual" images, I think, though.

Ah, it was for templates, not video, photo or illustrations. Thanks, I was wondering what was going on.

Good news. Thanks

It seems like shutter stock has gone out of its way to screw over serious, professional, and significant contributors. IMO they are shooting themselves in the foot since the only people who would continue to use this platform are amateurs or enthusiasts which I am the latter. Also not reassuring that Shutterstock clearly doesn't care about those who have provided the most value to its business. But oh well I guess, in the end a company will usually fail when they continue to harbor unethical business models.

10 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Commission cut, of course, still the lowest commission (based on rank) is $0.25, the same as it was on SS before the paycut.

I think this is quite understandable in these hard times (compared to SS's brutal paycut).

The number of downloads is relevant for the ranking. There are almost only subscriptions. And for one download you need 3 subscription downloads. I have just under 6000 downloads, most of which are subscriptions. So I will get the ranking bronze. That means a loss of 16 to 25% per download. This is a lot!

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

The number of downloads is relevant for the ranking. There are almost only subscriptions. And for one download you need 3 subscription downloads. I have just under 6000 downloads, most of which are subscriptions. So I will get the ranking bronze. That means a loss of 16 to 25% per download. This is a lot!

I am not sure what you mean, the ranking system hasn't changed from what I see. You will have the same rank as before but with less money/download, from now on.

levels.thumb.jpg.f6a9d200c8d5e9c5c9e592f8140761d8.jpg

What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I am not sure what you mean, the ranking system hasn't changed from what I see. You will have the same rank as before but with less money/download, from now on.

levels.thumb.jpg.f6a9d200c8d5e9c5c9e592f8140761d8.jpg

What am I missing?

Thanks Whiteaster!

You're right - the rule 3 subscriptions are 1 download already existed before - that was not clear to me. So it's true - nothing changes in the ranking. But the losses will still amount to 16% for photos and 11% for vectors.

Is there anywhere to see how many downloads you have that count towards the ranking?

16 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Is there anywhere to see how many downloads you have that count towards the ranking?

Wilm, I wanted to ask the same thing.

All I see on my profile is how many downloads do I need to the next level.

If this is important for you, their support staff was very kind and helpful, once or twice I needed them.

24 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thank you for your information, Whiteaster!

I haven't even found the information about the downloads needed for the next level.

You are welcome.

To see how many downloads you need to next level, from the main menu click on "Profile" and go to your profile:

1919337975_nextlevel.jpg.41e17b09e68b5c3c6a677a3b2848f4b6.jpg

That is all but it is not very useful.