New earnings structure for Contributors

I started on Alamy years ago - but never persevered as the uploading and keywording was a pain - especially when you see your photos are undiscoverable - anyway I've been uploading loads there lately and adding keywords and supertags etc....  I now have about 1800 discoverable photos - so am hoping to i may get a sale or two  - although not looking promising as nothing yet.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, paula french said:

I started on Alamy years ago - but never persevered as the uploading and keywording was a pain - especially when you see your photos are undiscoverable - anyway I've been uploading loads there lately and adding keywords and supertags etc....  I now have about 1800 discoverable photos - so am hoping to i may get a sale or two  - although not looking promising as nothing yet.

Hi Paula. Alamy sales take time to show up, it's nothing like Shutterstock from that point of view but at least the sales are never for $0.10 and I hope it stays that way. The old hands on there quote a sale a month per 1,000 photos uploaded but that was pre-covid. If you're patient with the high quality work in your portfolio I'm sure you will start getting regular sales. Some contributors seem to do very well. Good luck.

1 hour ago, paula french said:

Alamy is not what it was I'm afraid, my sales there have dropped dramatically.

2 hours ago, paula french said:

Oh Well - I can live inhope I've got to try due to poor sales on here - though AS is quite good considering (to here anyway)

Yes you should. In particular, I sort out the types of photo I send there and here, SS and Alamy are very different and since SS have decided to pay us nothing they have to live with what they get from us - if anything at all after 31.12.2020

Hi all, 

I have done calculations to figure out what difference new earnings structure has brought to my sales, based only on my SUBSCRIPTION downloads. I'm level 5. 

June: 31.61% loss

July: 33.29% loss

August: 34.07% loss

September: 27.34% loss

October: 28.98% loss

My ODD/ENHANCED/SINGLE&OTHER seem to make up for the loss as my total income is more or less the same as before the new structure.  

Still not a chance to access contributors site via regular connection. Will send support a request about it. Wondering if this is the way Shutterstock says thanks to a contributor deleting the whole portfolio. If so, it is a sign of that many contributors are deleting the images + closing their accounts. And if so, the value of stock of SS should soon be lower, when the number of new uploads cannot match the number of deleted images.

Agree with Centrill Media - disabling sales here (I did it July 1st) has some positive effect for the sales at other sites. Not much, but a little.

Paula French - I think alamy is pretty slow on picking up the business, my story is about the same, uploaded several hundred images, but no sales for months. It took more than a year for the first sale. Could be that the 1 download/month per 1000 images works (I cannot confirm that as I do not have thousands of images at my portfolio).

At the end of day, shutterstock's decision for the new pricing could have some positive effect for re-structuring the microstock in general - and if people continue to leave SS and continue uploading to other sites, those other sites can retain their current (much better than SS) pricing principles for contributors.

mainly my portfolio are model, illustrative editorial image and travel image, with some amount of video

Alamy, Istock and ss i upload 7xxx image

at this moment i earn 416 dollars in alamy . last year i got 461 usd.

IS is 3859, and ss is 4313 in this years

i upload 4xxx image and video on adobe stock  i got 1098 usd at this moment.

i upload eyeem and deposit photo, i got 144 and 100 usd this year, pond5 as 215 usd

i would say ss download rate is dropping rapidly, the single sale and video are decreasing, of coz it also relate to its bad new payment structure,

istock and adobe stock are growth, especially the adobe stock

istock is take advantage from Getty image sale team, and adobe stock is good at their clouds services package.

alamy can be your backup plan indeed he alway give us the single big sale to contributor, but don't expect their amount can be large enough to replace other agency

the fact is you need to contribute more stock agencies, they have different strength, target audience and SEO system

You also need to explore the possibility for type of image by yourself, eg not only landscape but also portrait.

that why i have been join dreamtime to raising the profile

hope it will help you

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.46.24.png

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.49.50.png

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.50.50.png

On 10/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, HodagMedia said:

That's one way of viewing it...............................

Basic economics and marketing applies.

You are spot on. Basic economics. It is just that simple. Since I am selling for much higher net commissions on other places my earning curve selling videos is growing even in these Covid times. Do I miss the part of my income that came from Shutter. Sure. Do I think it would be wise to keep selling at 15-25% when others pay me 40-60% and I can set my prices.....No!!. I am protecting very well who feeds my business and as my sales keep growing I think I am doing something right. By the increasing stock price Shutterstock is also doing something right for the stock owners, although may be no so much for the producers that populate their library. Everyone is grown up here and should crunch their numbers. Shutterstock does what's best for them as it should be, and you and every one contributing creative media should do the same.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, aluxum said:

You are spot on. Basic economics. It is just that simple. Since I am selling for much higher net commissions on other places my earning curve selling videos is growing even in these Covid times. Do I miss the part of my income that came from Shutter. Sure. Do I think it would be wise to keep selling at 15-25% when others pay me 40-60% and I can set my prices.....No!!. I am protecting very well who feeds my business and as my sales keep growing I think I am doing something right. By the increasing stock price Shutterstock is also doing something right for the stock owners, although may be no so much for the producers that populate their library. Everyone is grown up here and should crunch their numbers. Shutterstock does what's best for them as it should be, and you and every one contributing creative media should do the same.

Absolutely right. Everyone needs to do what's best for their own work and personal interests. If someone is producing high quality work, they should go where they get high quality return on their investment, creativity and hard work.

Since I don't do video, I'll assume that's what you mean by the 40-60% and where you set your own prices? I don't know of anyplace like that for my photographs? I get what the various agencies are willing to give me. My alternative if I don't like what I get, take my work elsewhere. I already have cut down to being active on only two, SS and AS. Sometimes when the mood strikes I upload something to Alamy.

This is Microstock. 👍 ShutterStock is not a top end, unique image and content site. You can get most of the same images, on almost every Microstock site. The majority of images here are virtually a commodity. That's how they are priced. Bottled Water. That and unfortunately some of the competition is free images. I can turn on my faucet on the sink and get Free Water. Now we're looking at a matter of packaging, as water is just water.

No I'm not excited or looking forward to what's going to happen here in January. My main intention is to get those first 100 downloads as fast as possible, which means, having more and better content. But as you said, in different words, anyone who doesn't like the program and levels here, should take their products to a different shop. One that meets their expectations for sales and income.

I have deleted my best selling image of a Cow on Gate here, but it is available elsewhere and sells well on Adobe for over 70c a time, and often more. I have uploaded a few new here, but they are not my best. Every time I have a 10c sale I feel I have been mugged!

Meanwhile SS share price has nearly doubled!  ...... enough said. 

Who was it that used to talk about the unacceptable face of capitalism?....and I am a share holding capitalist!  I'm looking more at ethical shareholding these days.

Yesterday I made on AS the same amount I made in the whole month up to and including yesterday on SS. And I had no enhanced or otherwise special download - just a good day. So SS is making itself disposable for me. But I have to admit that I uploaded a lot of new stuff to AS which I will not upload to SS cause I won’t sell new stuff for 0,10. Dreamstime is completely not worth it and I have stopped uploading. I make around 1% of my AS revenue.

3 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Yesterday I made on AS the same amount I made in the whole month up to and including yesterday on SS. And I had no enhanced or otherwise special download - just a good day. So SS is making itself disposable for me. But I have to admit that I uploaded a lot of new stuff to AS which I will not upload to SS cause I won’t sell new stuff for 0,10. Dreamstime is completely not worth it and I have stopped uploading. I make around 1% of my AS revenue.

And today on a Saturday more revenue on AS than in the whole week on SS. It’s so sad!

This may be of interest to some of you - the picture-hosting site I threatened to build. You can pull a copy right now and set up your own web page on a hosting site, or you can wait for me to make it a bit more useful. You will even be able to link back to Shutterstock and let them sell the pictures, if you want, but I'm not that far along with development.

https://elliott-bignell.medium.com/the-gradual-rise-of-homepix-917b992376b8