New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

This may be of interest to some of you - the picture-hosting site I threatened to build. You can pull a copy right now and set up your own web page on a hosting site, or you can wait for me to make it a bit more useful. You will even be able to link back to Shutterstock and let them sell the pictures, if you want, but I'm not that far along with development.

https://elliott-bignell.medium.com/the-gradual-rise-of-homepix-917b992376b8

On 11/24/2020 at 11:46 AM, dummyphotographer said:

Is anyone going to deactivate his account? 

I thought about it for end of the year because of the resetting to 15%. But tonight I had my biggest single earning with 87,24 for a SOD. Since I am on level 4 this brings me into the plus for this month comparing old against new earnings scheme. I stopped uploading May 26th and still will have a BME this month due to this sale. So it seems like I will not deactivate but still not upload any additional assets. My earnings on other agencies are now continuously outperforming SS by far (even in this good SS month).

And BTW: this is just a lottery - if I would have sold this same image in January I would have lost 43,62 USD on this sale alone 😞 with the costumer having paid the exact same amount.

5 hours ago, Dafinchi said:

67 sales in one day, I should be glad... 😛

sales.jpg

Well for the negative, all subs, that's pretty sad. On the positive, you won't be sitting at level one very long in January? 👍

Nice rocks and minerals collection, good examples and nicely presented.

Normal month for me is 160-170dls but this month will be around 200....fair, for a port of 900......considering almost nothing new uploaded for 2 years. That's when I started to see the trend of little or no reward for effort and decided to cancel effort. Now I get $80-$100/month for absolutely no effort so I'm not complaining....let it wither on the vine!

Senior management will be off to fresh fields and even greater rewards in a couple of years proclaiming how fantastic they are as managers.....just look a the stock price. And so it goes.......

14 hours ago, stevemart said:

Normal month for me is 160-170dls but this month will be around 200....fair, for a port of 900......considering almost nothing new uploaded for 2 years. That's when I started to see the trend of little or no reward for effort and decided to cancel effort. Now I get $80-$100/month for absolutely no effort so I'm not complaining....let it wither on the vine!

Senior management will be off to fresh fields and even greater rewards in a couple of years proclaiming how fantastic they are as managers.....just look a the stock price. And so it goes.......

True, this is all about making profits and Stan getting his bonus shares as a financial reward. But like you pointed out, this is the way CEOs and corporate Execs. work now. They slice and dice, make money, get hired by some other company to work their magic. Sometimes leaving a withered dying carcass, sometimes a healthier, slimmer structure. But no matter what, this isn't about us, it's about THEM.

SSTK was $37 a share in June and is $67 closing on Friday. That's on our backs, from the commission cuts. On the other hand, those who seem to think SS is dying are just thinking from a narrow emotionally based opinion. The stock is up, the investors are confident, and depending on the 4th quarter results, we'll see what's really happening?

From what I've read over the years, the SSTK stock is mostly held in large numbers by insiders. That means SS Execs, investment firms and for example 20% is mutual funds, 43% holding companies. I don't know what Jon owns anymore but in June he owned 45%. (for those not math wizards like me, that's 108%) Some people follow this closer than I do know the specifics, but Jon sold many shares in the Summer after he stepped down.

If you looked at SS executives, they own large blocks.

That's the way things work.

When the free float is so small, outside investors are at the mercy of the insiders which may not be a problem if everyone is agreed the price needs to go up!! Ka...ching, Ka....ching! Have to wonder though whether the current management philosophy won't leave a withered dying carcass  in a few years time.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:52 AM, stevemart said:

When the free float is so small, outside investors are at the mercy of the insiders which may not be a problem if everyone is agreed the price needs to go up!! Ka...ching, Ka....ching! Have to wonder though whether the current management philosophy won't leave a withered dying carcass  in a few years time.

I'm not worried, it's not my job to care or be worried. Just like real work, where I don't come up and say "I have an idea, how you should do this." Because management is supposed to be the brains and I'm just the hired help. (plus they usually already thought of that, or have reason already why "we can't do that", or they don't really want to hear new ideas) I'm not getting paid to worry, not getting stock for photo achievements, not anything, except what I earn on my own. 👍

If I was getting paid to care or think, yes, then I would worry about the direction things are headed.

At least SS isn't being traded by private equity investment firms, like happened to Getty, which was so far in debt that they weren't making enough to pay the interest on their debt. That might have changed by now, after being through the financial ringer. But they went from creation in 1997 to stock, to private, to being partners with H&F, 2008 sold to them for 2.4 billion, 2012 sold to Carlisle for 3.3 billion, and I might be missing some of the shared details, like the Getty share during the H&F times. Getty bought back Getty in 2018, and is trying to bring the near dead company, back to life.

How to take something good, built solid, with good ideas and solid foundation and turn it into a cesspool. The investment people made money.

If we see SS going into the spin cycle, we'll first recognize that when a private equity firm or some investment company, buys ShutterStock. Then start being afraid. 😲

My biggest thing to watch for right now is when will this thread reach image.png.ff8e077fa736a2e96a68a366183d6272.png 291 pages? 😉

Thanks @Tony ALS corrected the typo.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:10 PM, Andreas Prott said:

I thought about it for end of the year because of the resetting to 15%. But tonight I had my biggest single earning with 87,24 for a SOD. Since I am on level 4 this brings me into the plus for this month comparing old against new earnings scheme. I stopped uploading May 26th and still will have a BME this month due to this sale. So it seems like I will not deactivate but still not upload any additional assets. My earnings on other agencies are now continuously outperforming SS by far (even in this good SS month).

And BTW: this is just a lottery - if I would have sold this same image in January I would have lost 43,62 USD on this sale alone 😞 with the costumer having paid the exact same amount.

Thanks for your reply 
What other agencies do you work with? 

On 11/14/2020 at 7:26 PM, Andreas Prott said:

Yesterday I made on AS the same amount I made in the whole month up to and including yesterday on SS. And I had no enhanced or otherwise special download - just a good day. So SS is making itself disposable for me. But I have to admit that I uploaded a lot of new stuff to AS which I will not upload to SS cause I won’t sell new stuff for 0,10. Dreamstime is completely not worth it and I have stopped uploading. I make around 1% of my AS revenue.

What is AS? 

On 11/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, HodagMedia said:

I'm not worried, it's not my job to care or be worried. Just like real work, where I don't come up and say "I have an idea, how you should do this." Because management is supposed to be the brains and I'm just the hired help. (plus they usually already thought of that, or have reason already why "we can't do that", or they don't really want to hear new ideas) I'm not getting paid to worry, not getting stock for photo achievements, not anything, except what I earn on my own. 👍

If I was getting paid to care or think, yes, then I would worry about the direction things are headed.

At least SS isn't being traded by private equity investment firms, like happened to Getty, which was so far in debt that they weren't making enough to pay the interest on their debt. That might have changed by now, after being through the financial ringer. But they went from creation in 1997 to stock, to private, to being partners with H&F, 2008 sold to them for 2.4 billion, 2012 sold to Carlisle for 3.3 billion, and I might be missing some of the shared details, like the Getty share during the H&F times. Getty bought back Getty in 2018, and is trying to bring the near dead company, back to life.

How to take something good, built solid, with good ideas and solid foundation and turn it into a cesspool. The investment people made money.

If we see SS going into the spin cycle, we'll first recognize that when a private equity firm or some investment company, buys ShutterStock. Then start being afraid. 😲

My biggest thing to watch for right now is when will this thread reach image.png.ff8e077fa736a2e96a68a366183d6272.png 291 pages? 😉

Thanks @Tony ALS corrected the typo.

Never going to get to 291 pages it seems!