Jump to content

New earnings structure for Contributors


Recommended Posts

Hace 15 horas, HodagMedia dijo:

En realidad (esto va a hacer que algunas personas se sientan infelices y me abrirán a los ataques, pero son solo matemáticas) Antes del cambio, nos pagaban más de lo que pagaba el comprador, con algunos paquetes de suscripción, la mayoría de las descargas de los 750 paquetes. En algunos casos, obtuvimos entre el 60 y el 80% de lo que alguien pagó por la descarga. Con el precio de las grandes suscripciones en SS, estaban perdiendo dinero para pagar nuestras comisiones.

Tengo que ser honesto, sí, me gusta el dinero para mí, pero si estuviera dirigiendo una empresa y tuviera que responder a los propietarios / también conocidos como accionistas, odiaría informar cómo bajaron nuestros ingresos, porque éramos contribuyentes de pago. más de lo que vendimos imágenes? Creo que alguien más dijo esto antes, pero lo estoy captando. Esto no es una caridad.😃

Volviendo a nosotros, deberíamos verificar si mi número de descargas es el mismo, pero puedo ver sin mucho esfuerzo, mis ingresos son más bajos en SS y, como tú, mis ventas e ingresos en AS están aumentando ligeramente. En parte debido a las nuevas ilustraciones vectoriales que he estado cargando, que SS no acepta. Eso está bien, porque Adobe no acepta mis noticias editoriales y SS sí.

Cualquier otra agencia, nueva o vieja, activa o nada nueva, ventas pésimas y menores ganancias. Esta tendencia de ingresos más bajos no es nueva. Ha estado sucediendo durante varios años. Solo que los cambios y caídas recientes hacen que todo sea más notorio.

 

¿ No lo entiendo paga poco y pierde dinero ?

¿ Mientras las acciones se disparan ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

On 10/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, Mick Harper said:

If what you say is true then it proves a point. Shutterstock is on a race to the bottom and taking it's contributors with them. Shutterstock subscription packages are priced too low. Simples...

That's one way of viewing it. Also because the competition has driven prices into the ground. The fact that other agencies are closing because of losses, or going bankrupt, is pretty telling. Lets say that many were paying us tiny amounts, 20% or less. And they can't make enough with that to stay in business? Some of these places that are shutting down and have, hardly make a difference, that's how small they are?

Say that SS raises the prices, and the customers go somewhere else, then how did we win anything or earn from that? I still believe that any agency, should charge higher prices, and make sure they have better content, that's the way to get a customer to stay and buy. Not by the weakest marketing tool possible, "we sell for less".

Anyway, not arguing that prices aren't too low. I think charge more, give us more is a fine plan. What I'm looking at is, the real numbers. Any agency, can't stay in business, selling images, if they pay us more than they charge for them.

Look at the sub packs, list prices. We don't know if there are even better deals and lower prices for special clients. This is based on advertised prices.

ss-large-pack-subs.jpg

See just to the left of the 10¢ for level 1? .39, .33, .27, .22 and then SS is supposed to pay us 38¢ per download? Something had to change.

Here's another side of the argument and the pricing problem. When you go to the store for bottled water. There are all kinds of brands, they are all water. How different is water from water? 🤪 But the store brands are cheaper and sell in big cases and packs, yet there are fancy name brands that sell for double, and they make some sales. However the store brands and generic make the most sales. Microstock photos are like water, the way things are. Almost every image, can be found on any site. There's nothing to make someone say, "well I'll shop at SS because they have different photos that I need." (there should be)

Yes there are some agencies that are more critical and selective and some specialize, but bottom line, Microstock, is over produced and easily available, and unfortunately the artists killed themselves because they wanted that extra $10 every few months from some piddly little site. People who uploaded all their work, to everywhere, willing to take anything, instead of take a stand, did this to the market.

Now people say boycott Shutterstock because the market is so terrible that SS had to meet the competition? Why didn't people boycott the Crapstock sites to start with and not feed the parasites that took 85% of our earnings and did almost nothing to earn that. AT the same time SS does marketing, paid ads, search engine presence and that costs millions. I don't blame SS for wanting to stay in business.

Oh and there are those free sites, I won't bother comparing that. I also don't think that most of the people who take and use free, are paying customers anyway. I'll never buy a Ferrari, but I'll take a ride on a free shuttle bus? Free sites hurt us but not as much as some would think. Paying customers and people who care about legal ramifications, if an image is stolen or somehow not released properly, will never use a free site.

We can all hope that more of the little sites go away and then we'll have to hope that SS will give us back our commission rates, when things improve. Not that I actually think that's going to happen, but if a business is losing money and earnings are down, I'm positive no supplier or contract employee is going to get a raise.

There's a concept in sales, that applies. You can always give a discount, but you can't take one back. I don't see anything ever coming back to us, even if the stock business gets better. I've accepted the fact that, this is the way it is and I can accept that, or if I'm not happy, move on and find something else. I'm working on that something else already. Microstock is a boom that has peaked and the rapid growth and expansion, like some people allude to gold mining booms and rushes, now the photo and video market is contracting and shrinking. Supply is well over any demand.

Basic economics and marketing applies.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

That's one way of viewing it. Also because the competition has driven prices into the ground. The fact that other agencies are closing because of losses, or going bankrupt, is pretty telling. Lets say that many were paying us tiny amounts, 20% or less. And they can't make enough with that to stay in business? Some of these places that are shutting down and have, hardly make a difference, that's how small they are?

Say that SS raises the prices, and the customers go somewhere else, then how did we win anything or earn from that? I still believe that any agency, should charge higher prices, and make sure they have better content, that's the way to get a customer to stay and buy. Not by the weakest marketing tool possible, "we sell for less".

Anyway, not arguing that prices aren't too low. I think charge more, give us more is a fine plan. What I'm looking at is, the real numbers. Any agency, can't stay in business, selling images, if they pay us more than they charge for them.

Look at the sub packs, list prices. We don't know if there are even better deals and lower prices for special clients. This is based on advertised prices.

ss-large-pack-subs.jpg

See just to the left of the 10¢ for level 1? .39, .33, .27, .22 and then SS is supposed to pay us 38¢ per download? Something had to change.

Here's another side of the argument and the pricing problem. When you go to the store for bottled water. There are all kinds of brands, they are all water. How different is water from water? 🤪 But the store brands are cheaper and sell in big cases and packs, yet there are fancy name brands that sell for double, and they make some sales. However the store brands and generic make the most sales. Microstock photos are like water, the way things are. Almost every image, can be found on any site. There's nothing to make someone say, "well I'll shop at SS because they have different photos that I need." (there should be)

Yes there are some agencies that are more critical and selective and some specialize, but bottom line, Microstock, is over produced and easily available, and unfortunately the artists killed themselves because they wanted that extra $10 every few months from some piddly little site. People who uploaded all their work, to everywhere, willing to take anything, instead of take a stand, did this to the market.

Now people say boycott Shutterstock because the market is so terrible that SS had to meet the competition? Why didn't people boycott the Crapstock sites to start with and not feed the parasites that took 85% of our earnings and did almost nothing to earn that. AT the same time SS does marketing, paid ads, search engine presence and that costs millions. I don't blame SS for wanting to stay in business.

Oh and there are those free sites, I won't bother comparing that. I also don't think that most of the people who take and use free, are paying customers anyway. I'll never buy a Ferrari, but I'll take a ride on a free shuttle bus? Free sites hurt us but not as much as some would think. Paying customers and people who care about legal ramifications, if an image is stolen or somehow not released properly, will never use a free site.

We can all hope that more of the little sites go away and then we'll have to hope that SS will give us back our commission rates, when things improve. Not that I actually think that's going to happen, but if a business is losing money and earnings are down, I'm positive no supplier or contract employee is going to get a raise.

There's a concept in sales, that applies. You can always give a discount, but you can't take one back. I don't see anything ever coming back to us, even if the stock business gets better. I've accepted the fact that, this is the way it is and I can accept that, or if I'm not happy, move on and find something else. I'm working on that something else already. Microstock is a boom that has peaked and the rapid growth and expansion, like some people allude to gold mining booms and rushes, now the photo and video market is contracting and shrinking. Supply is well over any demand.

Basic economics and marketing applies.

 

A clever, well formulated statement, HodagMedia!

But there is one point where I have to disagree. If the other sides - even the small ones you call Crapstock - had not existed, we would be talking about monopolism. And that would be the worst thing that could happen. An agency that could dictate all prices for contributors and customers. And all contributors would be in an irrevocable dependency. That would be a nightmare! And that's also the reason why I spread my images with many different agencies. And why I am convinced that this is right!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

A clever, well formulated statement, HodagMedia!

But there is one point where I have to disagree. If the other sides - even the small ones you call Crapstock - had not existed, we would be talking about monopolism. And that would be the worst thing that could happen. An agency that could dictate all prices for contributors and customers. And all contributors would be in an irrevocable dependency. That would be a nightmare! And that's also the reason why I spread my images with many different agencies. And why I am convinced that this is right!

That's possible as well, but if there's one agency making money, you can bet that someone somewhere will jump into the business and there we go around again. 😁 There's never going to be a monopoly in stock photos.

Picking good other agencies is selective, not some of the total junk places, which made us promises for years and have delivered nothing. Someone could take the top ten and be doing themselves a favor, instead of supplying http://crapstock.com that does nothing but undercut and sell trash for pennies. (that's a joke link)

Anyway, I don't disagree with you, in that being under the control of a monopoly or too small of a group, leaving us without our own choices, would be just as bad.

Oh I forgot to say thanks. I don't like the new plan, and I'm really not defending the change, it more like saying, Hello it's Thursday, I'm wet and it's raining.

I'm sure there are other views of the Microstock situation from other angles. I'm only trying to point out that SS was forced into this position, one way or another, whether by their own actions or outside forces.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird that I cannot access contributors site (submit.shutterstock) from my home connection anymore.. site starts loading and freezes.

I still had a few hundred photos to be deleted, fortunately just finished deleting all photos using an alternative connection. It takes some willpower to delete images :) swiping away the whole portfolio that took years to be built..

Might leave shutterstock account active as an experimental place for mobile-only photos, or photos with low value and/or taking very little time to be edited.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Если такие условия не отменят, то я перестану продавать что-либо на Shutterstock. Теперь есть более интересные и прибыльные стоки, где покупать и продавать лучше. Зачем нам тогда Shetterstock, который нас обманул? Скорее всего, этот сайт сам себя погубил. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 9:46 PM, HodagMedia said:

That's one way of viewing it. Also because the competition has driven prices into the ground. The fact that other agencies are closing because of losses, or going bankrupt, is pretty telling. Lets say that many were paying us tiny amounts, 20% or less. And they can't make enough with that to stay in business? Some of these places that are shutting down and have, hardly make a difference, that's how small they are?

Say that SS raises the prices, and the customers go somewhere else, then how did we win anything or earn from that? I still believe that any agency, should charge higher prices, and make sure they have better content, that's the way to get a customer to stay and buy. Not by the weakest marketing tool possible, "we sell for less".

Anyway, not arguing that prices aren't too low. I think charge more, give us more is a fine plan. What I'm looking at is, the real numbers. Any agency, can't stay in business, selling images, if they pay us more than they charge for them.

Look at the sub packs, list prices. We don't know if there are even better deals and lower prices for special clients. This is based on advertised prices.

ss-large-pack-subs.jpg

See just to the left of the 10¢ for level 1? .39, .33, .27, .22 and then SS is supposed to pay us 38¢ per download? Something had to change.

Here's another side of the argument and the pricing problem. When you go to the store for bottled water. There are all kinds of brands, they are all water. How different is water from water? 🤪 But the store brands are cheaper and sell in big cases and packs, yet there are fancy name brands that sell for double, and they make some sales. However the store brands and generic make the most sales. Microstock photos are like water, the way things are. Almost every image, can be found on any site. There's nothing to make someone say, "well I'll shop at SS because they have different photos that I need." (there should be)

Yes there are some agencies that are more critical and selective and some specialize, but bottom line, Microstock, is over produced and easily available, and unfortunately the artists killed themselves because they wanted that extra $10 every few months from some piddly little site. People who uploaded all their work, to everywhere, willing to take anything, instead of take a stand, did this to the market.

Now people say boycott Shutterstock because the market is so terrible that SS had to meet the competition? Why didn't people boycott the Crapstock sites to start with and not feed the parasites that took 85% of our earnings and did almost nothing to earn that. AT the same time SS does marketing, paid ads, search engine presence and that costs millions. I don't blame SS for wanting to stay in business.

Oh and there are those free sites, I won't bother comparing that. I also don't think that most of the people who take and use free, are paying customers anyway. I'll never buy a Ferrari, but I'll take a ride on a free shuttle bus? Free sites hurt us but not as much as some would think. Paying customers and people who care about legal ramifications, if an image is stolen or somehow not released properly, will never use a free site.

We can all hope that more of the little sites go away and then we'll have to hope that SS will give us back our commission rates, when things improve. Not that I actually think that's going to happen, but if a business is losing money and earnings are down, I'm positive no supplier or contract employee is going to get a raise.

There's a concept in sales, that applies. You can always give a discount, but you can't take one back. I don't see anything ever coming back to us, even if the stock business gets better. I've accepted the fact that, this is the way it is and I can accept that, or if I'm not happy, move on and find something else. I'm working on that something else already. Microstock is a boom that has peaked and the rapid growth and expansion, like some people allude to gold mining booms and rushes, now the photo and video market is contracting and shrinking. Supply is well over any demand.

Basic economics and marketing applies.

 

You have some valid points there, However Shutterstock did not have to show that amount of disrespect to its contributors as it did. Just to name a few:

- Announcing the change in royalties so quickly (a handful of days before implementation, come on guys)

- Not replying to valid points raised in this thread 

- Not rewarding loyalty by keeping levels earnt 

Also they showed themselves to be more greedy than necessary by keeping all income from unused parts of any download plan without even bothering to own up to that. 

Yes, it’s a hard time for everyone, but some other agencies have not had to take this route so let’s go reward them with our new content. No need to invest more time in uploading to Shutterstock if that’s how much they care about the ones who create the content they need to survive.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started on Alamy years ago - but never persevered as the uploading and keywording was a pain - especially when you see your photos are undiscoverable - anyway I've been uploading loads there lately and adding keywords and supertags etc....  I now have about 1800 discoverable photos - so am hoping to i may get a sale or two  - although not looking promising as nothing yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paula french said:

I started on Alamy years ago - but never persevered as the uploading and keywording was a pain - especially when you see your photos are undiscoverable - anyway I've been uploading loads there lately and adding keywords and supertags etc....  I now have about 1800 discoverable photos - so am hoping to i may get a sale or two  - although not looking promising as nothing yet.

Hi Paula. Alamy sales take time to show up, it's nothing like Shutterstock from that point of view but at least the sales are never for $0.10 and I hope it stays that way. The old hands on there quote a sale a month per 1,000 photos uploaded but that was pre-covid. If you're patient with the high quality work in your portfolio I'm sure you will start getting regular sales. Some contributors seem to do very well. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paula french said:

I started on Alamy years ago - but never persevered as the uploading and keywording was a pain - especially when you see your photos are undiscoverable - anyway I've been uploading loads there lately and adding keywords and supertags etc....  I now have about 1800 discoverable photos - so am hoping to i may get a sale or two  - although not looking promising as nothing yet.

Alamy is not what it was I'm afraid, my sales there have dropped dramatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paula french said:

Oh Well - I can live inhope I've got to try due to poor sales on here - though AS is quite good considering (to here anyway)

Yes you should. In particular, I sort out the types of photo I send there and here, SS and Alamy are very different and since SS have decided to pay us nothing they have to live with what they get from us - if anything at all after 31.12.2020

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, 

I have done calculations to figure out what difference new earnings structure has brought to my sales, based only on my SUBSCRIPTION downloads. I'm level 5. 

June: 31.61% loss

July: 33.29% loss

August: 34.07% loss

September: 27.34% loss

October: 28.98% loss

My ODD/ENHANCED/SINGLE&OTHER seem to make up for the loss as my total income is more or less the same as before the new structure.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not a chance to access contributors site via regular connection. Will send support a request about it. Wondering if this is the way Shutterstock says thanks to a contributor deleting the whole portfolio. If so, it is a sign of that many contributors are deleting the images + closing their accounts. And if so, the value of stock of SS should soon be lower, when the number of new uploads cannot match the number of deleted images.

Agree with Centrill Media - disabling sales here (I did it July 1st) has some positive effect for the sales at other sites. Not much, but a little.

Paula French - I think alamy is pretty slow on picking up the business, my story is about the same, uploaded several hundred images, but no sales for months. It took more than a year for the first sale. Could be that the 1 download/month per 1000 images works (I cannot confirm that as I do not have thousands of images at my portfolio).

At the end of day, shutterstock's decision for the new pricing could have some positive effect for re-structuring the microstock in general - and if people continue to leave SS and continue uploading to other sites, those other sites can retain their current (much better than SS) pricing principles for contributors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

mainly my portfolio are model, illustrative editorial image and travel image, with some amount of video

Alamy, Istock and ss i upload 7xxx image

 at this moment i earn 416 dollars in alamy . last year i got 461 usd.

IS is 3859, and ss is 4313 in this years

i upload 4xxx image and video on adobe stock  i got 1098 usd at this moment.

i upload eyeem and deposit photo, i got 144 and 100 usd this year, pond5 as 215 usd

i would say ss download rate is dropping rapidly, the single sale and video are decreasing, of coz it also relate to its bad new payment structure,

istock and adobe stock are growth, especially the adobe stock

istock is take advantage from Getty image sale team, and adobe stock is good at their clouds services package.

alamy can be your backup plan indeed he alway give us the single big sale to contributor, but don't expect their amount can be large enough to replace other agency

the fact is you need to contribute more stock agencies, they have different strength, target audience and SEO system

You also need to explore the possibility for type of image by yourself, eg not only landscape but also portrait.

that why i have been join dreamtime to raising the profile

hope it will help you

 

 

 

 

 

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.46.24.png

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.49.50.png

螢幕截圖 2020-11-08 下午12.50.50.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, HodagMedia said:

That's one way of viewing it...............................

Basic economics and marketing applies.

 

You are spot on. Basic economics. It is just that simple. Since I am selling for much higher net commissions on other places my earning curve selling videos is growing even in these Covid times. Do I miss the part of my income that came from Shutter. Sure. Do I think it would be wise to keep selling at 15-25% when others pay me 40-60% and I can set my prices.....No!!. I am protecting very well who feeds my business and as my sales keep growing I think I am doing something right. By the increasing stock price Shutterstock is also doing something right for the stock owners, although may be no so much for the producers that populate their library. Everyone is grown up here and should crunch their numbers. Shutterstock does what's best for them as it should be, and you and every one contributing creative media should do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, aluxum said:

You are spot on. Basic economics. It is just that simple. Since I am selling for much higher net commissions on other places my earning curve selling videos is growing even in these Covid times. Do I miss the part of my income that came from Shutter. Sure. Do I think it would be wise to keep selling at 15-25% when others pay me 40-60% and I can set my prices.....No!!. I am protecting very well who feeds my business and as my sales keep growing I think I am doing something right. By the increasing stock price Shutterstock is also doing something right for the stock owners, although may be no so much for the producers that populate their library. Everyone is grown up here and should crunch their numbers. Shutterstock does what's best for them as it should be, and you and every one contributing creative media should do the same.

Absolutely right. Everyone needs to do what's best for their own work and personal interests. If someone is producing high quality work, they should go where they get high quality return on their investment, creativity and hard work.

Since I don't do video, I'll assume that's what you mean by the 40-60% and where you set your own prices? I don't know of anyplace like that for my photographs? I get what the various agencies are willing to give me. My alternative if I don't like what I get, take my work elsewhere. I already have cut down to being active on only two, SS and AS. Sometimes when the mood strikes I upload something to Alamy.

This is Microstock. 👍 ShutterStock is not a top end, unique image and content site. You can get most of the same images, on almost every Microstock site. The majority of images here are virtually a commodity. That's how they are priced. Bottled Water. That and unfortunately some of the competition is free images. I can turn on my faucet on the sink and get Free Water. Now we're looking at a matter of packaging, as water is just water.

No I'm not excited or looking forward to what's going to happen here in January. My main intention is to get those first 100 downloads as fast as possible, which means, having more and better content. But as you said, in different words, anyone who doesn't like the program and levels here, should take their products to a different shop. One that meets their expectations for sales and income.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have deleted my best selling image of a Cow on Gate here, but it is available elsewhere and sells well on Adobe for over 70c a time, and often more. I have uploaded a few new here, but they are not my best. Every time I have a 10c sale I feel I have been mugged!

 

Meanwhile SS share price has nearly doubled!  ...... enough said. 

Who was it that used to talk about the unacceptable face of capitalism?....and I am a share holding capitalist!  I'm looking more at ethical shareholding these days.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...