Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

On 10/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, Mike Fouque said:

1719229026_Preuvesshutter.thumb.jpg.5daa116a8543f0f2fa8af86a70af3abe.jpg

I disabled my video port.  Video is too much work for that little amount of money.  It isn't worth my time to edit.  Shutterstock will just become the basement agency for garbage cell phone content.  

I disabled my portfolio on 5/31/20 but today I also discovered that hundreds of my videos are still available for sale when I google "Shutterstock <my name>"

Here's a link to one of them. It can be added to a cart for purchase.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-10474025-san-francisco-night-time-lapse-panoramic-view

I recommend that other video contributors who has disabled their sales to do the same search.

I've emailed Customer service to get an explanation and have them delete my account.

Bjorn Bakstad Shutterstock.png

I just got a sale of 9,15 labeled as On Demand. Any idea what the Customer bought? Would I have gotten my 2,48 standard payment in the old world? Seems like this would make up for all the insulting 0,10 downloads of this month - but not the 50% cut happening in January.

6 hours ago, Bjorn Bakstad said:

I disabled my portfolio on 5/31/20 but today I also discovered that hundreds of my videos are still available for sale when I google "Shutterstock <my name>"

Here's a link to one of them. It can be added to a cart for purchase.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-10474025-san-francisco-night-time-lapse-panoramic-view

I recommend that other video contributors who has disabled their sales to do the same search.

I've emailed Customer service to get an explanation and have them delete my account.

Bjorn Bakstad Shutterstock.png

I could follow the link and put the file into the basket, but since I don’t have a buyer account could not go to the checkout to see whether I could really go the next step. Anyone here with a buyer account who can check?

27 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

I could follow the link and put the file into the basket, but since I don’t have a buyer account could not go to the checkout to see whether I could really go the next step. Anyone here with a buyer account who can check?

you are not the first to indicate that following the deletion of your files these were still offered for sale by Shutterstock on google !!! It is absolutely scandalous and condemnable, the SS must answer for his actions !!

I went to "Contributor Support Center":

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

Click on the sub-heading "Account Changes" the first item in the left hand column. Then fill out the form with your detailed instructions and submit. Be sure to state clearly that you want your minimum payout reduced to $1.00, you want to be paid your total contributor balance due, and want to deactivate and permanently close your SS account.

I have received my final payout which was only a few dollars, my finles have been deactivated, but they have yet to close my contributor account... which they claim can take over 30 days to complete. Hence, I am still able to respond on this contributor forum.

What next, are we all wrong? Are we just clinging on to the past? A.S. just announced a "Free Collection" an initial 70,000 free photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos and in their words "to address the demand for free content while supporting content creators as well as driving traffic to paid assets" This is to encourage paid clients or weed out the mediocre? Will SS follow? Perhaps in the long term, if there is a long term for paid stock images, starting at 10c an image isn't so bad? Averaging about 30c an image for the past couple of months. No one seems to know where this industry is going, what is the future of global stock imagery? 

9 minutes ago, Benthemouse said:

What next, are we all wrong? Are we just clinging on to the past? A.S. just announced a "Free Collection" an initial 70,000 free photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos and in their words "to address the demand for free content while supporting content creators as well as driving traffic to paid assets" This is to encourage paid clients or weed out the mediocre? Will SS follow? Perhaps in the long term, if there is a long term for paid stock images, starting at 10c an image isn't so bad? Averaging about 30c an image for the past couple of months. No one seems to know where this industry is going, what is the future of global stock imagery? 

i just got the info for adobe stock too .... we're going straight into the wall .... i'm worried about our future.

The stock image/video market has become over glutted with content... more substandard amateur submissions now than the superior quality content which was once dominated by the pros. Simple math of supply & demand. A little history... prior to digital,  we used to get $200 for a single medium format color negative or color transparency image represented by reputable film stock agencies (including Getty)... $400 to $800 for 30 second film to tape video clips. But those days are history. When imagery went digital, all the stock agencies including SS & IS initially were very, very picky and choosey about digital standards and the acceptance of quality content from contributors. But that is history also. Now with unlimited cloud storage glutted with images and every person in the world having a cell phone, they'll take any image they can get and give away for free... including cell phone images from grade schoolers. I for one do not want the wear and tear on my pro gear for nickel & dime image sales. After 25 years of stock sales and watching the industry deteriorate into the substandard cesspool of garbage mediocrity, I am no longer willing to participate n this losing proposition. Life is way to short and my remaining time on earth way too valuable.

I wish all the best to my fellow creative stock SS contributors from around the globe.

Centrill

4 hours ago, Ints Vikmanis said:

It looks like all disabled videos are not really disabled because they are accessible through Google searches and allowed to be added to a shopping cart. One can only imagine what other distribution means they allow for these videos.

Here's what contributor support had to say when I contacted them:

"Since, your contents licensing feature has been turned off your contents are only visible but cannot be purchased. Also, as per our Contributor terms of service, Content removed or opted out of licensing by a contributor may accrue additional royalties for up to 90 days following its removal or opt-out. This occurs when Shutterstock upgrades licenses to certain customers that previously downloaded "comp" versions of the removed Content before such Content was removed or opted-out."

I checked with admin and they insist that these instances are only "comp" versions of the files, that they are not for sale. I too tried to purchase a file, but without a buyer's account, it was impossible to check. In any case, I reactivated my portfolio and started deleting the files one by one from the catalogue manager.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ints Vikmanis said:

Hi,

I entered the link and was forwarded to shutterstock. There I was able to put the video into the shopping cart, but I couldn't buy it. I received this message when I wanted to pay - see screenshot on the top left:

"The file is no longer available. Please remove the file from your shopping cart and try again."

I hope this information helps you all.

Screenshot.jpg

I tried for months to get my contributor account deleted. Since I had some money in it, I could not use the button they reccomend. I emailed as instructed, and did the online chat thing, and tried through their facebook, pm'ing here, posting here, tweeting, etc.... Only the other day was I able to get a direct link that immediately terminated my account (if I agreed to forfeit the few bucks I had made).

If you want to leave SS completely, I strongly suggest you manually delete your content first (there is a greasemonkey script you can find over at MSG for bulk deleting), then opt-out of licensing, then delete the account (again if you are willing to forfeit any earnings) using contributor-accounts.shutterstock.com/login?next=/remove  

I went to the link in your post as closed my account. Will see if it works.... time will tell.

Hello fellow photographers and videographers, some thoughts as follows.

First, so sorry to see ss made the 0.10 decision. The agency has been a very good agency till spring this year. If they had chosen to cut the sub. fees 10% or 20%, everyone would understand it. But 2 or 3 or 4 times - it is like to reduce your salary 2-4 times.. try to survive.

Someone earlier in this thread used an expression "a race to the bottom at its purest" - too many people eating from one pot. You may have something, but you may not get close at all. Is this the price we all are paying now? I mean everyones ability to take photos with whatever they have in their hand - a pro camera, amateur camera or a smartphone. -- At the other hand, the more active contributors, there better ss can market themselves as a big agency with massive amount of images.

I believe it was not easy to predict the long time meaning of a decision as bold as this. Former CEO Jon Oringer perhaps thinks the ss will go down long term, thus selling the stock bit by bit. Sorry to see Jon go though, it seems he really liked what he did here at SS - built the whole company and we, the photographers, could benefit from it a lot: SS team made the good marketing work and was able to sell the images, meanwhile was able to pay a fair fees for contributors.

Now six months later, it is still impossible to predict whether the value of SS stock will stay, or rise or fall. Having read some of this thread with great interest (as the payout structure is one of the very principal aspects of microstock) it seems many new contributors have joined ss and everybody is looking to make good money here. As long as there are new people joining, the image supply will not be a problem, therefore it is possible to serve the growing numbers to shareholders.

As with the idea in general - to sell your work at 0.10 - I think this is devalues photographers hard work. I understand that if your image is downloaded ten times you can make a whole dollar; or ten dollars with one hundred downloads. But you cannot hope that all of your images will sell tens or hundreds of times (though some will of course, do). I also think some on demand sales will not compensate the "regular/usual" 0.10 sales. Resetting the image levels at the beginning of each year doesn't make it all look better.

With that said, I think it is almost impossible to get back the money invested to get the images - vs what it pays here at SS. Quite a lot of time it takes to process/keyword/upload an image, and quite a deep pocket you must have to afford a proper camera with pro level F/2.8-s and primes. Being able to make both ends meet long term is questionable, from a contributors point of view.

As a small contributor, I would even say a hobbyist, it doesn't affect my life that much when I close my account at SS, nor cares SS if a few hundred photos are gone. But what about people who make living out if it? Who have heavily invested in their high-tech equipment and spending hours every day for editing/keywording?

Well anyway I enjoy taking photos a lot, but I also like the idea that good photos are valued, which is certainly not a case anymore here at ss. Thus taking the photos out of here, like many colleagues have done already. I think the turning point for SS will be when the speed of deleting the images exceeds the speed of new content uploaded - but will it every happen?

So, good luck everyone and hopefully there will be better days again here at SS and microstock in general, one fine day.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:48 PM, Mike Fouque said:

i just got the info for adobe stock too .... we're going straight into the wall .... i'm worried about our future.

Try DP, though I have no sales on Adobe being anywhere close to being sold/given away for free.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, bright said:

Hello fellow photographers and videographers, some thoughts as follows.

First, so sorry to see ss made the 0.10 decision. The agency has been a very good agency till spring this year. If they had chosen to cut the sub. fees 10% or 20%, everyone would understand it. But 2 or 3 or 4 times - it is like to reduce your salary 2-4 times.. try to survive.

Someone earlier in this thread used an expression "a race to the bottom at its purest" - too many people eating from one pot. You may have something, but you may not get close at all. Is this the price we all are paying now? I mean everyones ability to take photos with whatever they have in their hand - a pro camera, amateur camera or a smartphone. -- At the other hand, the more active contributors, there better ss can market themselves as a big agency with massive amount of images.

I believe it was not easy to predict the long time meaning of a decision as bold as this. Former CEO Jon Oringer perhaps thinks the ss will go down long term, thus selling the stock bit by bit. Sorry to see Jon go though, it seems he really liked what he did here at SS - built the whole company and we, the photographers, could benefit from it a lot: SS team made the good marketing work and was able to sell the images, meanwhile was able to pay a fair fees for contributors.

Now six months later, it is still impossible to predict whether the value of SS stock will stay, or rise or fall. Having read some of this thread with great interest (as the payout structure is one of the very principal aspects of microstock) it seems many new contributors have joined ss and everybody is looking to make good money here. As long as there are new people joining, the image supply will not be a problem, therefore it is possible to serve the growing numbers to shareholders.

As with the idea in general - to sell your work at 0.10 - I think this is devalues photographers hard work. I understand that if your image is downloaded ten times you can make a whole dollar; or ten dollars with one hundred downloads. But you cannot hope that all of your images will sell tens or hundreds of times (though some will of course, do). I also think some on demand sales will not compensate the "regular/usual" 0.10 sales. Resetting the image levels at the beginning of each year doesn't make it all look better.

With that said, I think it is almost impossible to get back the money invested to get the images - vs what it pays here at SS. Quite a lot of time it takes to process/keyword/upload an image, and quite a deep pocket you must have to afford a proper camera with pro level F/2.8-s and primes. Being able to make both ends meet long term is questionable, from a contributors point of view.

As a small contributor, I would even say a hobbyist, it doesn't affect my life that much when I close my account at SS, nor cares SS if a few hundred photos are gone. But what about people who make living out if it? Who have heavily invested in their high-tech equipment and spending hours every day for editing/keywording?

Well anyway I enjoy taking photos a lot, but I also like the idea that good photos are valued, which is certainly not a case anymore here at ss. Thus taking the photos out of here, like many colleagues have done already. I think the turning point for SS will be when the speed of deleting the images exceeds the speed of new content uploaded - but will it every happen?

So, good luck everyone and hopefully there will be better days again here at SS and microstock in general, one fine day.

I am a full time photographer, and was one of the first few thousand contributors with SS. I made pretty good money with them for a while. However, when they made this greedy and short-sighted decision, I immediately took down all my photos and videos. It hurt to do it, but I will not sell my content through any agency that values its contributors that little. Part of staying in business is to pivot to something else when the times change. That's what I've had to do.