New earnings structure for Contributors

I'm french and

I poorly translated and understood I think the first post which I thought indicated to me that my account could be deleted if I keep criticizing Shutterstock. it is a misunderstanding on my part and I apologize. it is by rereading and repeating the post that I translated better .... the French are zero in foreign languages
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Mick Harper said:

Now THAT IS pretty pathetic. Talk about paranoia

I poorly translated and understood I think the first post which I thought indicated to me that my account could be deleted if I keep criticizing Shutterstock. it is a misunderstanding on my part and I apologize. it is by rereading and repeating the post that I translated better .... the French are zero in foreign languages
10 hours ago, Rudy Matchinga said:

Mike, I believe you are missing the point here.  I don't think anyone is threatening you.  I think there is the suggestion that you send a message to SS by joining us who have disabled our ports.  A united stand against the current earning structure.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, Centrill Media said:

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

What email did you use to contact them? I want to close my account as well but I cant find anywhere to email them. 

Heads up for those who have turned off sales of their images.  Video footage, although turned off, still appears available for sale.  Secondly, my stills images are appearing on Google searches BUT Shutterstock is using those backlinks to send buyers to similar images that are for sale.

I turned off all sales on my account in June, a google search of "Shutterstock <your name>" will show your stills images associated with Shutterstock on Google AND available for sale.  Clicking the link will take you to a page of similar images, along with a message, in my case:

"We're sorry! 1235917195 is no longer available. You might be interested in the related results below."  

And there's a page of images that happen to be similar to the one they clicked on but I'd removed in June.  There's also a caption and other information, so Shutterstock is feeding that to the web crawler that Google then use so they can pull buyers for other images.

Yes I know some stuff is cached by search engines for a while, however, those images were removed some months ago and, moreover, SS is directing those backlinks to similar images to their own advantage.  So it appears the images and links are still being fed to Google, deliberately.  I've emailed SS about my video footage being available for sale, despite turning off those sales 3 months ago.  It took 6 emails from me over several weeks before they pulled the video footage from sale.  SS stalled and played dumb and told me I hadn't sent the Image ID or they couldn't find the footage and all that rubbish - despite having sent a screenshot of my original email message to them showing a screenshot of the image, link to the page and the ID info.

I've today emailed them saying I object to SS feeding thumbnails of my shots to the search engines so they can use the backlinks to entice buyers to other, similar images.  Let's see how long it takes for them to reply.

So, boys and girls.  If you've turned off images for sale, then you might want to see if SS is still using them.

I've been a contributor since 2008 but only have 282 photos. These have earned me $2555 over the years, so not a great amount, and my sales slowed to a trickle some time ago. But now that's a trickle of 10 cents rather than 33 cents. So as soon as I limp over the line of getting enough for my next payout, I'll be deleting myself.

It's obviously not going to be any great sacrifice for me (I have a day job!) but 10c seems like an insult and I hope my miniscule effort might help to make SS reconsider (although I doubt they're going to do that). I'm still on other sites, earning pittances there too but that's because I don't sell much any more - not because I only get 10c per sale.

So it's farewell SS. You had been my favourite site (and the one I recommended to friends who were interested in this sort of thing), but no more.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:26 AM, Mike Fouque said:

"Nae borrer" Mike, which, since we are talking languages, is actually "No bother" in English spoken with a very loose and broad Northern Irish accent. No problem!!

2 hours ago, Doctor Jools said:

I've been a contributor since 2008 but only have 282 photos. These have earned me $2555 over the years, so not a great amount, and my sales slowed to a trickle some time ago. But now that's a trickle of 10 cents rather than 33 cents. So as soon as I limp over the line of getting enough for my next payout, I'll be deleting myself.

It's obviously not going to be any great sacrifice for me (I have a day job!) but 10c seems like an insult and I hope my miniscule effort might help to make SS reconsider (although I doubt they're going to do that). I'm still on other sites, earning pittances there too but that's because I don't sell much any more - not because I only get 10c per sale.

So it's farewell SS. You had been my favourite site (and the one I recommended to friends who were interested in this sort of thing), but no more.

I fully understand your approach and will be tempted to do it too except that I have provided a lot of work since 2015 and it is necessary to believe that my files are interesting because I have obtained more than 7000 sales in 5 years. indeed today it is an insult to our work and in my case all of my income comes from microstock ... I know it sounds crazy but the cumulative amount of my sales between Adobe, Istock, Shutterstock allowed me to be able to m 'get out. now the situation is getting complicated because of SS. and that's why I want to defend my interests and those of other contributors.

Asked to close my account with Shutterstock and get the balance paid some time ago and the full $18 is sitting in PayPal. Coincidence that I have just reached the same balance with Alamy with only 3 sales since switching my images to there compared to the 50+ it took me to get to the same amount on Shutterstock. Alamy sales are infrequent but the contributor reward is at least worth the effort in comparison. I will watch with interest what happens longer term but it is the end of my relationship with Shutterstock. Unfair practices should not be condoned and the only way to stop being treated like dirt is to walk away and promote the hard work put in to create some of the stunning images on here by taking them elsewhere. Change is necessary in any business but change to help yourself, don't put up with changes that help corporate greed. Good luck to all contributors for the future.

so i last month was the first without any enhanced or on demand sale..just subscription...it was the worst month i had in 5 years....

and i ve been reading what s being said about SS keeping pics and vids in google...what the hell is wrong with those guys?? who educated them??? and sadly they're not the only ones, this world has gone to shit !!! no respect for workers, no value, it's all about the money

i wonder how bad it's gonna get in January...

If you are at level 5 or 6, take your last month's earnings total and divide that number by 2 and you'll have a rough estimate of what January will look like.  Happy Holidays from GreedStock.  

On the upside, it may cause another mass deletion of the quality material, and thus hasten the well-deserved demise of SS.  I deleted the top 25% of my port and only left the rest because of those ODs and SOs which I seem to be getting more of these days.  It seems that we are all providing SS with essentialy free subscription content in exchange for the "real" sales of those.  Seeing those OD and SO sales at half price in January might make me reconsider another strategic portfolio reduction.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, Sherry Yates Young said:

If you are at level 5 or 6, take your last month's earnings total and divide that number by 2 and you'll have a rough estimate of what January will look like.  Happy Holidays from GreedStock.  

On the upside, it may cause another mass deletion of the quality material, and thus hasten the well-deserved demise of SS.  I deleted the top 25% of my port and only left the rest because of those ODs and SOs which I seem to be getting more of these days.  It seems that we are all providing SS with essentialy free subscription content in exchange for the "real" sales of those.  Seeing those OD and SO sales at half price in January might make me reconsider another strategic portfolio reduction.

Yes for sure !!! I'm 100% agree with you

I disabled my portfolio on 5/31/20 but today I also discovered that hundreds of my videos are still available for sale when I google "Shutterstock <my name>"

Here's a link to one of them. It can be added to a cart for purchase.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-10474025-san-francisco-night-time-lapse-panoramic-view

I recommend that other video contributors who has disabled their sales to do the same search.

I've emailed Customer service to get an explanation and have them delete my account.

Bjorn Bakstad Shutterstock.png

6 hours ago, Bjorn Bakstad said:

I disabled my portfolio on 5/31/20 but today I also discovered that hundreds of my videos are still available for sale when I google "Shutterstock <my name>"

Here's a link to one of them. It can be added to a cart for purchase.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-10474025-san-francisco-night-time-lapse-panoramic-view

I recommend that other video contributors who has disabled their sales to do the same search.

I've emailed Customer service to get an explanation and have them delete my account.

Bjorn Bakstad Shutterstock.png

I could follow the link and put the file into the basket, but since I don’t have a buyer account could not go to the checkout to see whether I could really go the next step. Anyone here with a buyer account who can check?

27 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

I could follow the link and put the file into the basket, but since I don’t have a buyer account could not go to the checkout to see whether I could really go the next step. Anyone here with a buyer account who can check?

you are not the first to indicate that following the deletion of your files these were still offered for sale by Shutterstock on google !!! It is absolutely scandalous and condemnable, the SS must answer for his actions !!

I went to "Contributor Support Center":

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

Click on the sub-heading "Account Changes" the first item in the left hand column. Then fill out the form with your detailed instructions and submit. Be sure to state clearly that you want your minimum payout reduced to $1.00, you want to be paid your total contributor balance due, and want to deactivate and permanently close your SS account.

I have received my final payout which was only a few dollars, my finles have been deactivated, but they have yet to close my contributor account... which they claim can take over 30 days to complete. Hence, I am still able to respond on this contributor forum.

What next, are we all wrong? Are we just clinging on to the past? A.S. just announced a "Free Collection" an initial 70,000 free photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos and in their words "to address the demand for free content while supporting content creators as well as driving traffic to paid assets" This is to encourage paid clients or weed out the mediocre? Will SS follow? Perhaps in the long term, if there is a long term for paid stock images, starting at 10c an image isn't so bad? Averaging about 30c an image for the past couple of months. No one seems to know where this industry is going, what is the future of global stock imagery? 

9 minutes ago, Benthemouse said:

What next, are we all wrong? Are we just clinging on to the past? A.S. just announced a "Free Collection" an initial 70,000 free photos, vectors, illustrations, and videos and in their words "to address the demand for free content while supporting content creators as well as driving traffic to paid assets" This is to encourage paid clients or weed out the mediocre? Will SS follow? Perhaps in the long term, if there is a long term for paid stock images, starting at 10c an image isn't so bad? Averaging about 30c an image for the past couple of months. No one seems to know where this industry is going, what is the future of global stock imagery? 

i just got the info for adobe stock too .... we're going straight into the wall .... i'm worried about our future.