Jump to content
Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Recommended Posts

Dear,

Excuse me, the truth is that in my case you pay me 10 cents for most of the photos, this amount does not even cover the hassle of uploading the photos and if we consider the money invested in the photographic equipment, I feel like you are scamming me.

Carlos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joke of the COVID-19 era.

Few days back received an email from shuttlecock to get shootlist of the month.  So I estimate the budget of each shootlist which is from US$100-500 per shoot that include anything.

So you spent lowest one e.g. US$100 and upload the same to SHUTTERSTOCK and get 10 cent per download.. Shutterstock, "WOW that's a big margin for you BEGGER" You can recover US$100 for another ten years. Spent and shoot as many we'll give 10 cent per download. Happy.

Moral:

Buyer think: Photography is nothing, take whatever we pay, else we'll find another one.

When Selling: This photograph is precious, very costly can't reduce the price.

Open to your comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted the xls from @stockphotofan1 to make something like this. Thanks Justin

SS-less-than-25c.jpg

People keep asking, why do I still get 10 cents? Look at the pink. Also I added, where we get less than the former minimum 25¢ which with on exception, is 350 pack subscriptions. After that, assuming anyone had reached the old level 2 which was hardly a challenge, we are now getting more per download than the 33¢

So I had to ask myself, what's going on? Why do I get so many low paying downloads. I looked at the chart again and what that indicates, in my view, is that most downloads are from the large 350 and 750 subscriptions. Not many ODs, 10 pack, 25 or 50 packs. Large buyers, annual and teams are most of our downloads.

Anyway, there's the story, 24¢ and lower commissions, a couple of 33¢ and lower, one at the 38¢ old Maximum. 25 pack EL was already changed, but now we can estimate (this chart is a well researched estimate, not from SS) what we'll get from which kind of sales.

If we sold more images in 50 packs or more ODs, or I should say when we do, we get paid much more than we used to get. The problem is, most of the sales are 350 or 750 image subscriptions. This tells me that the buyers are big users, volume buyers and not many are individuals or the small packs.

For some reason I assumed the Google uses would be 10¢ and seeing nothing else on my accounting or reports, I'll stick with that, until someone can find a different answer with documentation to verify what we get, if it's not 10¢? Either way I'd like to know, instead of guessing.

Old 2018 screen snapshot:

ss-earnings-table-2018.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Swapan Banik said:

Joke of the COVID-19 era.

Few days back received an email from shuttlecock to get shootlist of the month.  So I estimate the budget of each shootlist which is from US$100-500 per shoot that include anything.

So you spent lowest one e.g. US$100 and upload the same to SHUTTERSTOCK and get 10 cent per download.. Shutterstock, "WOW that's a big margin for you BEGGER" You can recover US$100 for another ten years. Spent and shoot as many we'll give 10 cent per download. Happy.

Moral:

Buyer think: Photography is nothing, take whatever we pay, else we'll find another one.

When Selling: This photograph is precious, very costly can't reduce the price.

Open to your comments

Then buyers are mean and not worth having The internet buyers cannot hold contributors to ransom - better off entering photo competitions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

El negocio es sencillo cuanto menos pago mas gano, el siguiente paso es cobrar  a los autores por poder enseñar sus fotos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Translation per Google:

"The business is simple the less I pay the more I earn, the next step is to charge the authors for being able to show their photos."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. That is where this thing is going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dorota Dylka said:

Hi all

I am new to this discussion, also new to Shutterstock (not even whole week). For the last 3 days I was working to upload my 37 photos. Yesterday I earned $0.10 - is this a joke? I know that moderator will probably delete my first ever post on this Forum. It's not a big deal. I already deleted all photos. I earned here  10 cents, after tax will be 8 cents! And they don't pay anything less than $1! LOL
Really sad to hear how artists are treated here.
There are other places around, let's move on!

Sorry to hear this & they won't delete posts. They probably don't even read the forum or just seem to ignore it. Shutterstock are nuts if they think even new contributors will the peanuts that this 10c DL price is. Most newbies will have little chance of cashing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Centrill Media said:

Translation per Google:

"The business is simple the less I pay the more I earn, the next step is to charge the authors for being able to show their photos."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. That is where this thing is going.

But the buyers are being charged the same as before & there's loads of complaints on Trustpilot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tony Dunn said:

they won't delete posts

they are deleting posts from this topic, slowly. Some days ago it was stable 286 last page, despite of new posts added; and now it is 284

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Olha J said:

they are deleting posts from this topic, slowly. Some days ago it was stable 286 last page, despite of new posts added; and now it is 284

Yes, some of mine have disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, Whiteaster said:

Yes hypothetically speaking, without ODD-s, EL-s and big DOD-s the situation is a disaster, I am just experiencing it now. It is a bad joke, a lottery.
However, your calculations above are made with real numbers, I assume and in that case you are gaining 8%, not losing 8%. Where am I wrong?

I realize that it will be different each month, for each of us but for now, according to your calculations, you are one of the lucky contributors.

Lucky? Because he only looses 8%? My loss (Level 4 in new scheme, Level 2 in old because I'm relatively new with low lifetime earnings, so I come from 0,33$ per Sub instead of 0,38$ as Wilm) is 14,5% since new earnings structure on stills and including video it's 21,2%. I will post actual figures EOY when I'm writing my goodbye post before falling even lower to 15%. And I'm comparing real figures new earnings structure vs. old earnings structure (same DLs). No comparison against history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Lucky? Because he only looses 8%? My loss (Level 4 in new scheme, Level 2 in old because I'm relatively new with low lifetime earnings, so I come from 0,33$ per Sub instead of 0,38$ as Wilm) is 14,5% since new earnings structure on stills and including video it's 21,2%. I will post actual figures EOY when I'm writing my goodbye post before falling even lower to 15%. And I'm comparing real figures new earnings structure vs. old earnings structure (same DLs). No comparison against history.

Andreas,

so that no false impression is created here: I have made the calculation based on my current figures. Just like you, I simply took my current figures and compared them with what I would have received with these current downloads if the remuneration had not been changed. Whiteaster now knows how the 8% loss comes about.

With the subs and the ODs it is quite obvious.

With the Enhanced and the SODs I calculate it that way:

I find out what the buyer paid.
Currently I get 35% for Level 5.
Let's say - fictitious figures - I got $100 for 10 SODs together. Then the buyers have paid 100 x 100 : 35 for these SODs = $285.71
Because 35% of $285,71 is $100. But under the old revenue system I would only have got 30%. 30% of $285,71 is $85,71. So with the new revenue model I would have a profit of $16,29.

That sounds good, of course. But it doesn't do me any good. Simply because the subs eclipse everything else. Too few ODs, Enhanced and SODs to make up for the losses in subs. And I'm absolutely sure that shutterstock did the same calculations before the new revenue structure was introduced.

I am very certain that all contributors are making losses. No matter what level they have reached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Andreas,

so that no false impression is created here: I have made the calculation based on my current figures. Just like you, I simply took my current figures and compared them with what I would have received with these current downloads if the remuneration had not been changed. Whiteaster now knows how the 8% loss comes about.

With the subs and the ODs it is quite obvious.

With the Enhanced and the SODs I calculate it that way:

I find out what the buyer paid.
Currently I get 35% for Level 5.
Let's say - fictitious figures - I got $100 for 10 SODs together. Then the buyers have paid 100 x 100 : 35 for these SODs = $285.71
Because 35% of $285,71 is $100. But under the old revenue system I would only have got 30%. 30% of $285,71 is $85,71. So with the new revenue model I would have a profit of $16,29.

That sounds good, of course. But it doesn't do me any good. Simply because the subs eclipse everything else. Too few ODs, Enhanced and SODs to make up for the losses in subs. And I'm absolutely sure that shutterstock did the same calculations before the new revenue structure was introduced.

I am very certain that all contributors are making losses. No matter what level they have reached.

Wilm,

I am completely on your side and do the calculation in the same way. No misunderstanding on my side. I just wanted to clarify for Whiteaster that no one is lucky since May 25th (except perhaps some "fans" who try to deceive people in this forum). I stopped uploading on May 25th and am seriously thinking of deactivating my portfolio end of the year.

All the best, Andreas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just contacted support and made my 2nd request within the past 30 days to issue my final payout and close my account. We'll see if they respond to this 2nd request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 5:15 AM, Centrill Media said:

I just contacted support and made my 2nd request within the past 30 days to issue my final payout and close my account. We'll see if they respond to this 2nd request.

In any case, with any stock - delete your works first. Then wait a few weeks to month and only after this ask for payout and closing the account. SS is less problematic, probalby, but there's always some weird partners, on-hold sales, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents. Somehow it's up to SS to craft and execute their strategy, even if the strategy involves treating it's suppliers less fairly. Yeah, it's how the business works, sadly, the formula is as simple as either you decrease your income or you boost up the sales. Probably the latter one is seen as much harder to do for SS, and takes much longer time. 

However, just like what others have pointed out, my biggest concern is that this decision would be setting the new standard for microstock photography (especially considering its status as the leader in the industry). I don't want to see other agencies are following this decision just to compete and survive the industry.

Therefore, I decided not to take a part in their business model - by closing my account (after deactivating the sales for 3 months and saw no result).

Well, thank you for the wonderful 3-4 years, SS! Hope to see you again when you see suppliers as important as your bottom-line number :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you delete your photos? Not just put them off sale, but delete completely. SS will never respond to my requests, I think, so, I'm going to delete my photos first and wait for my payments later. But I found no option to delete them several at once. Should I delete them one by one? Or maybe there is a way to make it easier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Centrill Media said:

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

I´ve written to them twice already, begging them to pay my due earnings and close my account, but I never got any response. Anyone there could tell me what else should I do to get my money and leave this site for good?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 5:43 PM, Centrill Media said:

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

How did you do this? I've written to them four times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to "Contributor Support Center":

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

Click on the sub-heading "Account Changes" the first item in the left hand column. Then fill out the form with your instructions and submit. Be sure to state clearly that this is your 5th attempt to receive your payout and close your account.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Centrill Media said:

I went to "Contributor Support Center":

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

Click on the sub-heading "Account Changes" the first item in the left hand column. Then fill out the form with your instructions and submit. Be sure to state clearly that this is your 5th attempt to receive your payout and close your account.

 

If you mean this, it doesn't work in my case, unfortunately. And I don't know why. I always get answers from SS experts about writing at privacy@shutterstock.com and when I write there nothing happens.

image.thumb.png.90cc5b6c0deb52a65b5ec417e6b30818.png

What am I doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...