New earnings structure for Contributors

On 9/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dorota Dylka said:

Hi all

I am new to this discussion, also new to Shutterstock (not even whole week). For the last 3 days I was working to upload my 37 photos. Yesterday I earned $0.10 - is this a joke? I know that moderator will probably delete my first ever post on this Forum. It's not a big deal. I already deleted all photos. I earned here  10 cents, after tax will be 8 cents! And they don't pay anything less than $1! LOL
Really sad to hear how artists are treated here.
There are other places around, let's move on!

Sorry to hear this & they won't delete posts. They probably don't even read the forum or just seem to ignore it. Shutterstock are nuts if they think even new contributors will the peanuts that this 10c DL price is. Most newbies will have little chance of cashing out.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Centrill Media said:

Translation per Google:

"The business is simple the less I pay the more I earn, the next step is to charge the authors for being able to show their photos."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. That is where this thing is going.

But the buyers are being charged the same as before & there's loads of complaints on Trustpilot

8 hours ago, Olha J said:

they are deleting posts from this topic, slowly. Some days ago it was stable 286 last page, despite of new posts added; and now it is 284

Yes, some of mine have disappeared.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, Whiteaster said:

Yes hypothetically speaking, without ODD-s, EL-s and big DOD-s the situation is a disaster, I am just experiencing it now. It is a bad joke, a lottery.
However, your calculations above are made with real numbers, I assume and in that case you are gaining 8%, not losing 8%. Where am I wrong?

I realize that it will be different each month, for each of us but for now, according to your calculations, you are one of the lucky contributors.

Lucky? Because he only looses 8%? My loss (Level 4 in new scheme, Level 2 in old because I'm relatively new with low lifetime earnings, so I come from 0,33$ per Sub instead of 0,38$ as Wilm) is 14,5% since new earnings structure on stills and including video it's 21,2%. I will post actual figures EOY when I'm writing my goodbye post before falling even lower to 15%. And I'm comparing real figures new earnings structure vs. old earnings structure (same DLs). No comparison against history.

2 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Lucky? Because he only looses 8%? My loss (Level 4 in new scheme, Level 2 in old because I'm relatively new with low lifetime earnings, so I come from 0,33$ per Sub instead of 0,38$ as Wilm) is 14,5% since new earnings structure on stills and including video it's 21,2%. I will post actual figures EOY when I'm writing my goodbye post before falling even lower to 15%. And I'm comparing real figures new earnings structure vs. old earnings structure (same DLs). No comparison against history.

Andreas,

so that no false impression is created here: I have made the calculation based on my current figures. Just like you, I simply took my current figures and compared them with what I would have received with these current downloads if the remuneration had not been changed. Whiteaster now knows how the 8% loss comes about.

With the subs and the ODs it is quite obvious.

With the Enhanced and the SODs I calculate it that way:

I find out what the buyer paid.
Currently I get 35% for Level 5.
Let's say - fictitious figures - I got $100 for 10 SODs together. Then the buyers have paid 100 x 100 : 35 for these SODs = $285.71
Because 35% of $285,71 is $100. But under the old revenue system I would only have got 30%. 30% of $285,71 is $85,71. So with the new revenue model I would have a profit of $16,29.

That sounds good, of course. But it doesn't do me any good. Simply because the subs eclipse everything else. Too few ODs, Enhanced and SODs to make up for the losses in subs. And I'm absolutely sure that shutterstock did the same calculations before the new revenue structure was introduced.

I am very certain that all contributors are making losses. No matter what level they have reached.

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Andreas,

so that no false impression is created here: I have made the calculation based on my current figures. Just like you, I simply took my current figures and compared them with what I would have received with these current downloads if the remuneration had not been changed. Whiteaster now knows how the 8% loss comes about.

With the subs and the ODs it is quite obvious.

With the Enhanced and the SODs I calculate it that way:

I find out what the buyer paid.
Currently I get 35% for Level 5.
Let's say - fictitious figures - I got $100 for 10 SODs together. Then the buyers have paid 100 x 100 : 35 for these SODs = $285.71
Because 35% of $285,71 is $100. But under the old revenue system I would only have got 30%. 30% of $285,71 is $85,71. So with the new revenue model I would have a profit of $16,29.

That sounds good, of course. But it doesn't do me any good. Simply because the subs eclipse everything else. Too few ODs, Enhanced and SODs to make up for the losses in subs. And I'm absolutely sure that shutterstock did the same calculations before the new revenue structure was introduced.

I am very certain that all contributors are making losses. No matter what level they have reached.

Wilm,

I am completely on your side and do the calculation in the same way. No misunderstanding on my side. I just wanted to clarify for Whiteaster that no one is lucky since May 25th (except perhaps some "fans" who try to deceive people in this forum). I stopped uploading on May 25th and am seriously thinking of deactivating my portfolio end of the year.

All the best, Andreas

On 9/22/2020 at 5:15 AM, Centrill Media said:

I just contacted support and made my 2nd request within the past 30 days to issue my final payout and close my account. We'll see if they respond to this 2nd request.

In any case, with any stock - delete your works first. Then wait a few weeks to month and only after this ask for payout and closing the account. SS is less problematic, probalby, but there's always some weird partners, on-hold sales, etc.

Just my 2 cents. Somehow it's up to SS to craft and execute their strategy, even if the strategy involves treating it's suppliers less fairly. Yeah, it's how the business works, sadly, the formula is as simple as either you decrease your income or you boost up the sales. Probably the latter one is seen as much harder to do for SS, and takes much longer time. 

However, just like what others have pointed out, my biggest concern is that this decision would be setting the new standard for microstock photography (especially considering its status as the leader in the industry). I don't want to see other agencies are following this decision just to compete and survive the industry.

Therefore, I decided not to take a part in their business model - by closing my account (after deactivating the sales for 3 months and saw no result).

Well, thank you for the wonderful 3-4 years, SS! Hope to see you again when you see suppliers as important as your bottom-line number :)

How do you delete your photos? Not just put them off sale, but delete completely. SS will never respond to my requests, I think, so, I'm going to delete my photos first and wait for my payments later. But I found no option to delete them several at once. Should I delete them one by one? Or maybe there is a way to make it easier?

22 hours ago, Centrill Media said:

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

I´ve written to them twice already, begging them to pay my due earnings and close my account, but I never got any response. Anyone there could tell me what else should I do to get my money and leave this site for good?!

On 9/23/2020 at 5:43 PM, Centrill Media said:

SS Support has responded to my 2nd request to close my account. They have reduced my minimum payout to $1 so that I can received my final payout within the next 30 days. After the final payout, I can then go to "My Account" settings and delete my SS account.

How did you do this? I've written to them four times.

1 hour ago, Centrill Media said:

I went to "Contributor Support Center":

https://submit.shutterstock.com/contact

Click on the sub-heading "Account Changes" the first item in the left hand column. Then fill out the form with your instructions and submit. Be sure to state clearly that this is your 5th attempt to receive your payout and close your account.

If you mean this, it doesn't work in my case, unfortunately. And I don't know why. I always get answers from SS experts about writing at privacy@shutterstock.com and when I write there nothing happens.

image.thumb.png.90cc5b6c0deb52a65b5ec417e6b30818.png

What am I doing wrong?

Just now, Centrill Media said:

I do mean that...

That is the form I submitted.

So the form will not let you write anything in the box that says "Describe Issue"?

No, the form is OK, I just made this screenshot without filling it full)

Anyway, thanks for help! I'll try again later. I will. )

Hello,

Since the new rules I had stopped uploading new content.
In times of the world largest crisis in the new time treating us in such a way makes me speechless.

I kept my video animations online...and Opt. OUT my whole illustrations (more than 16.000 files) for months now.

So it looks like things never get better here...

Now for me it`s time to delete the illustrations one by one...and keep only the old files...
At the end of the year  I think I'll finally say goodbye to the site here.

My heart bleeds at the thought of gradually throwing the work of over 10 years into the trash can...how many hours, days, weeks of my life have I spent supporting Shutterstock.

I will put my illustrations online again and delete the good things, with the rest that is left over you can...you can do what you want with that.

Cheers, Frank

16 hours ago, Murasaki Izumi said:

If you mean this, it doesn't work in my case, unfortunately. And I don't know why. I always get answers from SS experts about writing at privacy@shutterstock.com and when I write there nothing happens.

image.thumb.png.90cc5b6c0deb52a65b5ec417e6b30818.png

What am I doing wrong?

It is the same to me! I am tired of it! What else should we do to get paid and close the account?!

1 hour ago, Frank Rohde said:

Hello,

Since the new rules I had stopped uploading new content.
In times of the world largest crisis in the new time treating us in such a way makes me speechless.

I kept my video animations online...and Opt. OUT my whole illustrations (more than 16.000 files) for months now.

So it looks like things never get better here...

Now for me it`s time to delete the illustrations one by one...and keep only the old files...
At the end of the year  I think I'll finally say goodbye to the site here.

My heart bleeds at the thought of gradually throwing the work of over 10 years into the trash can...how many hours, days, weeks of my life have I spent supporting Shutterstock.

I will put my illustrations online again and delete the good things, with the rest that is left over you can...you can do what you want with that.

Cheers, Frank

Nice animations!!!