Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

On 6/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, KishoreJ said:

SS, are you trying to tell me that I will get 10 cents for investing hundreds of US Dollars spent on equipment, travelling to places all over the world, memorizing everything  about pictorial photography before I click the shutter and then spend hours in front of my computer post-processing my each image, searching for the right keywords......? You must be joking. Why shouldn't I keep the same money in my savings account in the bank and earn interest on it? Here in India we get a decent rate of interest you know. Definitely more that you would ever pay for my images.

Well said.! I still cannot believe it 3 months later. Since the end of July I had 10c DLs only. Your work & even mine (I've not traveled for years) is worth more. I have old photos I took in philippines taken with an old cheap P&S camera, (all I had at the time) downsize to the min 4 mega pix & they actually get through the picky reviewers here. Why should I waste shutter count on my best camera or why should you or anyone else for that matter? The idiot at SS who decided this should be sacked as it's not even third world rates of pay. If they want pro quality images they have to pay properly for it. 

On 9/13/2020 at 5:22 AM, Tony Dunn said:

If they want pro quality images they have to pay properly for it.

I've not uploaded a single image since the changes and have no plans to either. 10c is nothing but an insult and provides absolutely zero motivation to do the work and endure the review process. I'm done here as far an new stuff is concerned.  

On 9/11/2020 at 1:26 AM, DesignDaily said:

I have completed the 100 downloads for this year in last month on 28th and now on 2nd level but Still I received 0.10 Cents for new download which I used to receive earlier. Can you help me with this? I should have got raised basic amount as per level 2.

So many either did not read the new chart or don't understand it.  You will be earning .10 no matter what level you are.  Look at chart.  And if you ever get up the ladder at all you will be put back to the bottom on Jan. 1.  You are getting nowhere on SS.

ss.jpg.3247acf70d0aa83b4a3816c174b9657b.jpg

58 minutes ago, RoJo Images said:
1 hour ago, RoJo Images said:

So many either did not read the new chart or don't understand it.  You will be earning .10 no matter what level you are.  Look at chart.  And if you ever get up the ladder at all you will be put back to the bottom on Jan. 1.  You are getting nowhere on SS.

ss.jpg.3247acf70d0aa83b4a3816c174b9657b.jpg

This is something I posted a few weeks ago but it answers the question clearly: I got this reply when I raised a query about this months sales figures. I have just progressed to a new level but the price this month for my images hasn't gone above 10c in one case so far. This hasn't happened with me so far since the change in rates. I was doing ok by my norm. I thought that when I progressed from one earnings level to another it would be goodbye to 10c earnings until my account was reset in January. Evidently not. I have 16 sales this month so far for a paltry $2.62. This wouldn't buy me a decent fish and chip supper This is what I was told:

REPLY:  Hi
I'm ... I do not work for Shutterstock, but I have been a contributor for around 8 years, and an expert to answer fellow contributors queries. I do not have any access to your account information, images or any personal data, but i'm here to answer your questions.

You will get actual percentage of the final image for images sold under 'on demand'.
Other subscription sales will remain at 10cents. This 10cent applies applies across all 6 levels.

Yes my fellow contributors around the globe, we are working deep in the coal mines for PaPa Shutterstock. They are reading our grievances here and laughing. I have tried to remove my account but have received no response from PaPa Shutterstock.

Mick Harper 6 saat önce şunları söyledi:

Bu, birkaç hafta önce yayınladığım bir şey ama soruyu net bir şekilde yanıtlıyor: Bu ayın satış rakamları hakkında bir soru sorduğumda bu yanıtı aldım. Yeni bir seviyeye geçtim ancak bu ay görüntülerimin fiyatı şu ana kadar bir durumda 10c'nin üzerine çıkmadı. Oranlardaki değişimden beri bu şimdiye kadar benim başıma gelmedi. Normuma göre iyiydim. Ocak ayında hesabım sıfırlanana kadar bir kazanç düzeyinden diğerine ilerlediğimde 10 gönderilen kazançlara veda edeceğimi düşündüm. Belli ki hayır. Bu ay şimdiye kadar 2,62 dolarlık bir değere 16 satışım var. Bu bana düzgün bir balık ve patates kızartması getirmezdi. Bana söylendiği gibi:

YANIT: Merhaba
ben ... Shutterstock için çalışmıyorum, ancak yaklaşık 8 yıldır uygulama içinde bulunacağım ve burada bulunan diğer sorularını yanıt için bir uzmandım. Hesap bilgilerinize, resimlerinize veya kişisel verilerinize erişimim yok, ancak sorularınızı yanıtlamak için buradayım.

'Talep üzerine' altında görseller için nihai görüntünün gerçek yüzdesini alacaksınız.
Diğer abonelik satışları 10 gönderilente kalacak. Bu 10 gönderilmiş, 6 seviyenin içeriği için geçerlidir.

Hi:

I'm in level 5 right now. Most of my sales are 0.10 cents. I have sales that are not in the table above. For example 0.23 cents. I wonder if anyone knows a more accurate table? I also highly recommend Adobe Stock. Pay rates are better. Visual receptors started to slowly shift there. It seems that the most used site in the near future will be Adobe Stock. It is impossible to live on 0.10 cents. Good manufacturers switch to Adobe. Those who buy follow them.

16 minutes ago, graphicline said:

I wonder if anyone knows a more accurate table?

The table above is just a small part of possible commissions.

@chyworks was so kind to make a more complex table at this thread but maybe that is not all either. Only SS knows what they pay us.

Sure AS pay rates are better but how about the download numbers?

Visual receptors started to slowly shift there.

Is there any proof/ sign for this?

It seems that the most used site in the near future will be Adobe Stock.

The future will tell. I contribute to both of them for a long time and still AS has a long way to go (at least for me) to have the same download numbers as SS, though i wish you were right.

I created this unofficial table for photos and video sales based on publicly available %'s and dollar amounts assuming buyer is in USA.

The yellow and orange highlightings just show my levels when I made the table. The other highlightings are just categories

shutterstock_unofficial_pay.thumb.jpg.b0b2d8a3b73987261694b34b166d0439.jpg

5 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Fotoğraf ve video satışları için bu resmi olmayan tabloyu, alıcının ABD'de olduğunu varsayarak halka açık% 's ve dolar tutarlarına göre oluşturdum.

Sarı ve turuncu vurgular sadece masayı yaptığımdaki seviyelerimi gösteriyor. Diğer vurgular sadece kategorilerdir

Thank You Stockphotofan1 

On 8/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello VdZ,

what shutterstock has done there is a mess - no question about it.

But - I had written this before: One of the problems lay also in the fact that there were a quantity of offerers, who offered their images here and with free agencies. Why they did that, I can't understand either, because they deprived themselves of the opportunity to make money here, when potential buyers could get the images for free elsewhere. That should have been prohibited by contract by shutterstock!

But it would be disastrous for the entire microstock industry if contributors were to upload good image material to free agencies now. Then no more money can be made from Microstock in future. 

I can understand your anger. I myself have not uploaded a single image to shutterstock since the new revenue structure was introduced. But I regularly upload new images to the other agencies where there is still money to be made. I would suggest that to you as well.

If your images are good, why give them away and spoil your own future?

At the other big agency, I only have 49.6% of downloads this month compared to shutterstock, but 159% of income compared to shutterstock.

I myself am planning to deactivate my portfolio here by 31 December. If the numbers remain as bad as they are this month, maybe even before.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, stockphotofan1 said:

I created this unofficial table for photos and video sales based on publicly available %'s and dollar amounts assuming buyer is in USA.

The yellow and orange highlightings just show my levels when I made the table. The other highlightings are just categories

This table does not help much. Because it does not even begin to cover what reality is. In my view, it's not intended to be comprehensible either, because otherwise shutterstock would have to disclose all its deals with customers. And they certainly don't want that.

You can get a rough impression of what it all involves here:

https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/100381-the-variety-of-sub-and-odd-sales/

This list is no longer complete, because we have not fed Chy (thanks for the work, Chy!) with new data at some point. What is the point? There is no recognizable pattern and no recognizable regularities.

I can show you a screenshot of how my subscriptions looked like today. And note it immediately: Today I only had one for 10 cents. Sometimes it's 10 - at Level 5.

But there are probably also half or third cent amounts. Because 42 cents can hardly be divided by 3 downloads.

Fact is: At Level 5, 28 subscriptions have brought in 5.40 Euros so far. Before the new revenue structure, it would have been twice as much, namely 28 x 0.38 = $ 10.64. Level 5 is really worth it! :(

subscriptions.jpg

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

This table does not help much. Because it does not even begin to cover what reality is. In my view, it's not intended to be comprehensible either, because otherwise shutterstock would have to disclose all its deals with customers. And they certainly don't want that.

You can get a rough impression of what it all involves here:

https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/100381-the-variety-of-sub-and-odd-sales/

This list is no longer complete, because we have not fed Chy (thanks for the work, Chy!) with new data at some point. What is the point? There is no recognizable pattern and no recognizable regularities.

There's people in that thread saying they found my table useful and have had PMs requesting the table, so I'll have to disagree with that assessment. You're thinking it is hopeless since there are numbers not on the table. I'm thinking it helps immensely to get a rough unofficial explanation and have noted why all numbers encountered shouldn't be expected to be on the table.

Of course, it is not any secret that the exact amount deposited into your account depends on what country buyers is from, what they pay, exchange rate, taxes, etc., and these things both differ by country and exchange rates differ continuously. Just listing numbers isn't too helpful (to me) unless they are all converted into the same currency at that time which is incredibly difficult to do accurately in retrospect.

From my buyers from USA (so I don't have to worry about any conversion), the vast majority of my sales have been on the table, so I'm not too concerned.

Cheers,

Justin

On 9/14/2020 at 3:59 AM, Mark Godden said:

I've not uploaded a single image since the changes and have no plans to either. 10c is nothing but an insult and provides absolutely zero motivation to do the work and endure the review process. I'm done here as far an new stuff is concerned.  

How I feel also, I don't like them, I don't like the pay, they don't get my work. I don't like it, I'm not working for them. "If you don't like it, leave." And I did.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:26 AM, DesignDaily said:

I have completed the 100 downloads for this year in last month on 28th and now on 2nd level but Still I received 0.10 Cents for new download which I used to receive earlier. Can you help me with this? I should have got raised basic amount as per level 2.

I have completed 800 downloads still 10 cents or 13 cents It is not acceptable. And than in the announcement text 'fair opportunity for everyone' big lies that I find disrespect for all the hard work.

I have now calculated my numbers. Old level 4 = 30% according to old income structure / new level 5 = 35% according to new income structure.

Since June 02 (on June 01 the old model was still used) up to and including September 17, it looks like this:

Subs according to new revenue model: ø $0.23
Subs according to old revenue model: ø $0.38
loss: 38.2%

ODs according to new revenue model: ø $3.28
ODs according to old revenue model: ø $2.85*.
Profit: approx. 18%*

Enhanced according to new revenue model (35%): ø $37.26
Enhanced according to old revenue model (30%): ø $31.94
Profit: 14.3%

SODs according to new revenue model (35%): ø $4.31
SODs according to old revenue model (30%): ø $3.69

For me personally this results in a loss of approx. 8%*. 

*In the ODs there were also small ODs for $1.24. I had these very rarely. But at this point I can't compare them exactly, because I can't filter out the counterpart with the new revenue structure. So here there can be +/- 1% deviations.

I assume that my loss due to the downgrade in January will be over 10% annually.

25 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I assume that my loss due to the downgrade in January will be over 10% annually.

Since it would take me a while to reach level 5 again, it could be 15% or 20% or even more.

3 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Subs according to new revenue model: ø $0.23
Subs according to old revenue model: ø $0.38
loss: 38.2%

ODs according to new revenue model: ø $3.28
ODs according to old revenue model: ø $2.85*.
Profit: approx. 18%*

Enhanced according to new revenue model (35%): ø $37.26
Enhanced according to old revenue model (30%): ø $31.94

SODs according to new revenue model (35%): ø $4.31
SODs according to old revenue model (30%): ø $3.69

For me personally this results in a loss of approx. 8%*

How come? I may not understand it correctly but

Profit: 18 + 14.3 + 14.3 = 46.6%

Loss: 38.2%

Gain: 46.6 - 38.2 = 8.4%

11 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

How come? I may not understand it correctly but

Profit: 18 + 14.3 + 14.3 = 46.6%

Loss: 38.2%

Gain: 46.6 - 38.2 = 8.4%

This is due to the very high percentage of subscriptions, Whiteaster. Most of the downloads are the subs - and the velust is so extremely high. In the months when the ODs, SODs and Enhanced are not so numerous, the loss is therefore also much higher than 8%.