New earnings structure for Contributors

A decade ago IStock was my favourite marketplace. Then they did stupid things and I switched to SS. During decade SS made more then 0.5M$ on my content. This May I will not earn even half of the royalties earned in May 2019. And now this "new earnings structure". Why each company has to do so stupid things?! If I won't earn enough I simply quit the job. It is time to find a new marketplace for my portfolio...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Jake Sorensen said:

Tüm farklı ajanslar tarafından tükürülmekten bıktım. Buna bir son vermenin tek yolu bir araya gelmemiz. Şu an itibariyle Stok Gönderen Koalisyonunu oluşturuyorum. Katılmak her zaman ücretsiz olacaktır. Ümit ediyorum ki, şirketlere sorunları getirirken şirketlerin bizi ciddiye alması için yeterli sayıda katkıda bulunabiliyoruz. İlk adım, kaç kişinin böyle bir koalisyona katılacağı hakkında bir fikir edinmek. Bir form oluşturdum. Katkıda bulunanların eline daha fazla kontrol koymak istiyorsanız lütfen formu imzalayın. Ayrıca, varlığını bilinir hale getirmeyi düşünebileceğiniz her forumda ve sosyal medya kuruluşunda paylaşın. Stok Gönderen Koalisyonu

good idea 

Guys, lets be realistic, for newbies this is  a hard pill to swallow, but for everyone selling 500 images a month or more, you will be at 30% within the first month. To get to the next level, you need to sell 2000 images per month for a whole year, not many people manage that. It means that in December you are on 30% and then for maybe the first week you are on 15%, second week 20% and third week 25%, end of the month 30%. Expecting down votes for this comment, but think about it...

14 minutes ago, Jake Sorensen said:

Just so it doesn't get buried I will keep posting it here and elsewhere. Spread the word:

I'm tired of being spit upon by all the different agencies. The only way to put a stop to this is if we band together. As of right now I am creating the Stock Submitters Coalition. It is and will always be free to join. My hope is that we can get enough contributors on board that the companies have to take us seriously when we bring issues to them. The first step is to get an idea of how many people would join such a coalition. I have created a form. If you are interested in putting more control back into the hands of contributors please sign the form. Also share it in every forum and social media outlet you can think of to make its presence known. https://forms.gle/zrq3RswRpYsu6jmq6

You should get rid of the portfolio size thing. And is there a follow-up?

1 minute ago, Rick Rupert said:

Guys, lets be realistic, for newbies this is  a hard pill to swallow, but for everyone selling 500 images a month or more, you will be at 30% within the first month. To get to the next level, you need to sell 2000 images per month, not many people manage that. It means that in December you are on 30% and then for maybe the first week you are on 15%, second week 20% and third week 25%, end of the month 30%. Expecting down votes for this comment, but think about it...

It isn't as clear cut as that though, and thats why it would make sense for SS to disclose some data on what percentages of sales come what subscription packages. If the majority of your sub downloads are from 350 or 750 image packages, even tier 6 contributors will earn a max of .23 per download. 

Just now, Jake Sorensen said:

The portfolio size question is there to get a rough idea to not only now many contributors we would represent but also how much content. If we get enough interest there will definitely be follow up on how to proceed forward.

I didn't fill in my portfolio size. But I sure hope it takes off. We need some leverage.

2 hours ago, Duncan Andison said:

Ok @Kate Shutterstock but what if the client doesn't use the full amount of images available to download... are you still goint to pay us based on what they might have downloaded and pocket the spare cash. If you don't answer I'll take that as a yes,

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

6 минут назад Фирн сказал:

Вы смотрели на цифры? Даже при 30% вы все равно получите 0,10 $ только за сабвуфер. Это не просто твердая пилюля для новичков, но и для всех.

what of the newcomers? what are you talking about? people will just stop registering here, why sell their photos for pennies? a completely gone to the same adamston

36 minutes ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

What about the "FREE IMAGES"  Do we get paid for those?

When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.

once again - on subs sales, this is minimum 60% decrease in royalties for EVERYONE. Subs are ca. 90% of sales for most people nowadays. And all that on 5 days notice.

In my country, if there is any such unilateral change in contract conditions, it MUST BE accompanied by an option to terminate the contract immediately and without any semblance of penalty....

4 minutes ago, Firn said:

Did you look at the numbers? Even at 30% you'll still get 0.10$ for a sub only. This is not just a hard pill to swollow for newbies, but for everyone. It's a cut in earnings by over 70%.
Some people earn their living with stock, some others like me depend on the extra income to pay their bills. A 70% cut in income is not something most people can get on with.

Yes, i do earn with stock and it is so dissapointing.... after years of stability they do such a really really disgusting things. I bought a new stuff to get things more professional and this happens. Shutterstock, what the are you doing? acting like a THEIF!!!

They just perfectly linked their clients payment plans to our revenues. Now they can push their offers, be more competitive on the market with lower prices, their and our gain will decrease accordingly. To have a decent estimate of our future revenues would be nice to know their clients subcription plans and the subscription plans of clients buying our content. Only time will tell, but i suspect they did their math...