Jump to content

New earnings structure for Contributors


Recommended Posts

I have better story to tell you. I ask shutterstock via ticket how deleting account working from technical side (how long it take etc.) Instead of answer what i ask for they disable my whole image and video portfolio of more than 30k images :D Now i cannot turn them on till 16 september. I dont have enough balls to disable portfolio so Shutterstock made this hard decision for me :D And this is professional company?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

I've mentioned this before but not received that much interest. I have built a photo-server that fetches my pics from SmuMug and serves them up. It's open source and runs on PythonAnywhere or on a RaspberryPi at home, so everyone can pick up their own copy and adapt it at will. There's some work to do yet, but I'd like to get a network together and start sharing between groups of collaborators, making up an independent, peer-to-peer photographers' network with no central manager or owner.

All of us together are bigger than any one agency! We could make this THE network for selling stock and keep the proceeds for ourselves. Anyone who is interested, even if only with a wish list, get the code and contact me via the links.

https://github.com/ElliottBignell/homePIX

https://elliottcb.pythonanywhere.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Elliott Bignell said:

All of us together are bigger than any one agency! We could make this THE network for selling stock and keep the proceeds for ourselves. Anyone who is interested, even if only with a wish list, get the code and contact me via the links.

https://github.com/ElliottBignell/homePIX

https://elliottcb.pythonanywhere.com/

I would be interested but I need to understand what you are proposing, how it would work and what the real benefits.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Elliott Bignell said:

I've mentioned this before but not received that much interest. I have built a photo-server that fetches my pics from SmuMug and serves them up. It's open source and runs on PythonAnywhere or on a RaspberryPi at home, so everyone can pick up their own copy and adapt it at will. There's some work to do yet, but I'd like to get a network together and start sharing between groups of collaborators, making up an independent, peer-to-peer photographers' network with no central manager or owner.

All of us together are bigger than any one agency! We could make this THE network for selling stock and keep the proceeds for ourselves. Anyone who is interested, even if only with a wish list, get the code and contact me via the links.

https://github.com/ElliottBignell/homePIX

https://elliottcb.pythonanywhere.com/

Interesting. Are you on FB?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Anita. No,I'm no longer on Facebook. You can find me on Twitter and Medium. I thought I could start writing articles on Medium to explain what I am doing. Watch this space...

Antonio, my idea is a site like Flickr or 500px, but which everyone could have their own copy of. You could style it yourself if you are skilled in web development, or just copy someone else's if not. You would put your photos up somewhere like SmugMug and my code would let you organise and present then as you like. You could also put them up for sale at a price that suits you. Or you could direct the buyer to Shutterstock, come to that - what's to stop you?

So far this is nothing new. My idea is to network between photographers so that potential buyers can search for a photo across the whole network. If you sell your own shot, you keep the whole fee, or perhaps give up a small percentage to an income pool which everyone shares. If your site directs a buyer to another photographer, you share the income, maybe 50-50. Done right, we could even set our own terms individually. With a few thousand photographers, we would rapidly have a network with millions of photos. These could be star-rated by the public and this would rank the shots, rather than a simple in/out quality metric.

The key is openness. It should work with many photo-sharing sources and also any other networks that come up in parallel. It could get really big.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped uploading since I received that email!

Instead, I am back maintaining my old and new photo gallery website (www.hajakely.com and www.marolook.altervista.org). I will not take down my portfolio but I will not upload new content anymore. Just like what I did when Big G... bought Small i... and changed their earning structure. I rather give my new photos for free for personal use or for small fees for non personal use at my own website.

Just in case, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to build a photo gallery website for you for FREE. If you already have a domaine name then I can also host it for you. If you are new to web development and web hosting then I can do both. You receive an up and running website wihtout fiddling around!

Drop me a message here or contact me via my website if you are interested.

If we join hand, we can be stronger. Once we are stronger, we can stand up and have our say!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Six years of uploading video to SS.  Here and Pond5 were my best sellers.  I deactivated my port in June.  Have not uploaded anything since the pay cut, and will not upload again.  If something changes here, which I don't think it ever will, I will reactivate.  Until then, let the dust collect.  A shit way to treat those who supplied you.  You know it, we all know it, and you don't care SS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been with Shutterstock since June 2008. Before that, iStock was always my best revenue stream until Getty bought them out. Then iStock sales plummeted. I decommissioned iStock and Shutterstock eventually became my best revenue until now... Sales volume dwindling to almost nothing and the revenue is chump change. Pond5 is my fastest rising sales agency now. It is so pitiful that Shutterstock is screwing the very same artist that built their empire on the NYSE (SSTK).  But that's OK for Shutterstock I guess... because they have a new generation of high school iPhone children uploading blurry cell phone images to fill the void while their best professional contributors are fleeing elsewhere.

Best of luck Shutterstock... the pro's will eventually all depart, your iPhone children will grow up and get bored with you... and you will fade into obscurity looking for viable content and eventually selling yourself, like a street whore, to the highest bidder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Centrill Media said:

I have been with Shutterstock since June 2008. Before that, iStock was always my best revenue stream until Getty bought them out. Then iStock sales plummeted. I decommissioned iStock and Shutterstock eventually became my best revenue until now... Sales volume dwindling to almost nothing and the revenue is chump change. Pond5 is my fastest rising sales agency now. It is so pitiful that Shutterstock is screwing the very same artist that built their empire on the NYSE (SSTK).  But that's OK for Shutterstock I guess... because they have a new generation of high school iPhone children uploading blurry cell phone images to fill the void while their best professional contributors are fleeing elsewhere.

Best of luck Shutterstock... the pro's will eventually all depart, your iPhone children will grow up and get bored with you... and you will fade into obscurity looking for viable content and eventually selling yourself, like a street whore, to the highest bidder.

Excellent note. Congratulations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been hearing on the news about the complaints about Apple taking 30% profit on app store sales. I think what Shutterstock has done is a lot worse.

Not sure if I wasted my time but I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission explaining what has happened here:

 

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have deactivated my account and even when the royalty program returns to normal, i will certainly not activate my account again. 
Shutterstock F**KED us all, RIGHT at the beginning of the Corona crisis. Many people got fired, lost their incomes.. And right at thát moment, Shutterstock decides to cut 
the paycheck to their loyal artists. Well screw you guys, i'm uploading ALL my photo's at FREE websites like PEXELS so one day, hopefully, Shutterstock will go DOWN.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a professional, I don't use pro gear and of course - this is not my main income. My photos are mediocre but I sell images almost every day, and every single sale I made this month was at 0.10$!!! This is a classic capitalist thievery, and they should be really ashamed of themselves! Soon as I get my 35$ I'm out of here!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...