New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Yesterday I had my personal negative record. 50% of the downloads were those for $0.10 - despite level 5.

Yes, unfortunately that’s as to be expected since more and more customers will buy those tempting, priced-to-sell subscription plans instead. 

This tips the income split even further in Shutterstock’s favor as they get to keep 100% of income from unused downloads in these plans. 

Cheeky f..ers 

5 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello, Mirko,

i just tried this and can't find your image - screenshot attached.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 09.48.07.png

Morning Wilm,

I hope you are well! I just checked and all images are gone now. Still, this is not a good feeling. They where clearly for sale. Shutterstock was very clear to me that when I delete my account there will be no payout to me if I haven't reached the  $35 yet. That means aby of my images that was sole yesterday Shutterstock keeps 100% of the money. That is steeling! Yesterday I sent them an email asking about what is going on. No response, but at least my images are gone now. 

On 8/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, Yuriy Chertok said:

If anyone is thinking sanely, there are two simple steps: stop uploading new content and regularly remove images and videos from your portfolio.

Stopped uploading last month and I'm deleting from my portfolio slowly! All exclusive on Alamy for new content now.

👎 to Shutterstock. 

1 minute ago, Tony ALS said:

Stopped uploading last month and I'm deleting from my portfolio slowly! All exclusive on Alamy for new content now.

👎 to Shutterstock. 

Just replied to a post from Yuriy Chertok and the post and several others disappeared. this is clearly being monitored and periodically cleared out of information like the protest webpage link that was here just now!

2 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Just replied to a post from Yuriy Chertok and the post and several others disappeared. this is clearly being monitored and periodically cleared out of information like the protest webpage link that was here just now!

On Shutterstock's Facebook many contributors started commenting on new posts saying "Pay your contributors fairly!" Shutterstock removed all those comments as well. Plus, I cannot comment the at all anymore. lol

8 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

They can't take the time to answer any questions but they have time to scan the forums and remove what they don't like.  

I not planning on uploading anything here anymore.  Why should we give them our best images for basically free?  They are getting rich on our backs, but they are biting the hand that feeds them.  I'm averaging a little over $2.00 per sale on Adobe.  I would have to sell 20 to 1 to make the same money here.  Several other sites pay 50% from the start and I will be looking to expand where I post.

So why are you taking more money from us when the service goes down?

I'm still waiting 4 months for an answer to a question where support said they had to send it back to review.

Where is this extra money that I'm paying shutterstock going? It's not going to support, it's not going to improve sales, it's not going any place that seems to be assisting me. why do I need to pay more for getting less?

again 4 months without any response from support regarding issues with images. And sadly this is not the first time either.

For months I have had my Image and Footage sales set to the No option in Licensing Options on my account.

However for some reason a few days ago they sold 2 of my videos for 58c each! how does that happen when I have No selected for both options in Licensing for Footage? 58c is a rip off!

4 hours ago, txking said:

I'm still waiting 4 months for an answer to a question where support said they had to send it back to review.

I am still waiting for the announced answer from support on how exactly the downloads of our files for the Microsoft-Ads deal will be compensated. And my feeling tells me that I will never get an answer to that.

Just some thoughts and calculations.

I'm not pretend to be correct on 100% and I understand that there are unique images and there are a lot of images which can be replaced and purchased from portfolios which weren't disabled.

On summer 2019 I earned for about $300 each month on shutterstock, this spring this numbers decreased to $100 - $200.

My portfolio is disabled so I lost during this summer for about $100 - $300 each month.

It means Shutterstok lost for about $250 - $750 from my port only (7500+ images). I use previous payment system for calculations (0.38c)

There were 326M images on June 1 and there are 330M images on SS now.

As it passed 11 weeks since June 1 there should be for about 337M (326M + 1M per week).

For about 7M images were disabled during summer (it is 1000 such portfolios as mine). I read somewhere about 10M.

So SS could lost from $250 000 to $750 000 each month due to disabled portfolios. Again it could be true only if 7M disabled images are unique.

Has CEO of SS calculated their lost caused by new payment system?

On 16/8/2020 at 11:40, Roman Malanchuk said:

Solo algunos pensamientos y cálculos.

No pretendo estar en lo cierto al 100% y entiendo que hay imágenes únicas y hay muchas imágenes que se pueden reemplazar y comprar en portafolios que no estaban deshabilitados.

En el verano de 2019 gané alrededor de $ 300 cada mes en Shutterstock, esta primavera este número disminuyó a $ 100 - $ 200.

Mi cartera está inhabilitada, así que perdí durante este verano entre $ 100 y $ 300 cada mes.

Significa que Shutterstok perdió por alrededor de $ 250 - $ 750 solo desde mi puerto (más de 7500 imágenes). Utilizo el sistema de pago anterior para los cálculos (0.38c)

Había 326 millones de imágenes el 1 de junio y ahora hay 330 millones en SS.

Como pasaron 11 semanas desde el 1 de junio, debería haber alrededor de 337M (326M + 1M por semana).

Aproximadamente 7 millones de imágenes se desactivaron durante el verano (son 1000 carteras como la mía). Leí en algún lugar sobre 10M.

Entonces, SS podría perder de $ 250 000 a $ 750 000 cada mes debido a carteras discapacitadas. Nuevamente, podría ser cierto solo si las imágenes deshabilitadas de 7M son únicas.

¿El CEO de SS ha calculado sus pérdidas causadas por el nuevo sistema de pago?

El dinero que pierden con nuestras fotos retiradas lo recuperan con el pago de 0,10$ 

4 minutes ago, jjmillan said:

El dinero que pierden con nuestras fotos retiradas lo recuperan con el pago de 0,10$ 

via google translate

Just some thoughts and calculations.

I don't pretend to be 100% correct and I understand that there are unique images and there are many images that can be replaced and purchased in portfolios that were not disabled.

In the summer of 2019 I made around $ 300 every month on Shutterstock, this spring this number dropped to $ 100 - $ 200.

My wallet is disabled, so I lost between $ 100 and $ 300 each month this summer.

It means that Shutterstok lost by around $ 250- $ 750 from my port alone (over 7500 images). I use the previous payment system for the calculations (0.38c)

There were 326 million images on June 1 and now there are 330 million in SS.

As 11 weeks have passed since June 1, there should be around 337M (326M + 1M per week).

Approximately 7 million images were deactivated during the summer (that's 1000 wallets like mine). I read somewhere about 10M.

So, SS could lose $ 250,000 to $ 750,000 each month due to disabled wallets. Again, it could be true only if the 7M disabled images are unique.

Has the CEO of SS calculated his losses caused by the new payment system?

I've just disabled my portfolio.

I waited a while to see how they handle this "change" - for example by improving algorithms, selling with other prices higher than 10 cents etc

Now I can say they didn't struggle to improve searches, didn't work to eliminate similars, and the photos sold higher than 10 cents are rare.

There is no point in selling here, at least for the time being. 

Today I've sold couple of images on dreams time - 2 dolars each. Here the same images sold for 10 cents. It's not fair for other sites as well, for their buyers etc 

I posted this comment earlier in this thread that the same day one of my HD video files sold on Pond 5, where I received $10, the same exact video file sold here on Shutterstock and I received .26 cents. Not only is this practice grossly unfair to contributors, it is grossly unfair to the other stock agencies. Seems Shutterstock business practices no longer cares about anybody. 

PLEASE help me with some advice

I've disabled the portfolio  BUT now I see that they are erasing my images. The images are erased even from catalog manager.

Is it normal?? - They've completely erased aprox 80 images. I cannot see them anywhere... 

The number of images decreased. I've thought that the number stay the same only the portfolio is disabled from gallery.

Let's say next year I want to enable them - what to enable if they are erasing them  for good??