Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

9 hours ago, Milo J said:

Personally, I don't subscribe to the notion that customers will go hunt around for certain images on other agencies. There's too much out there in pretty much every category. Also, different images sell well at different agencies. If you delete a pic that was selling well over here, that doesn't necessarily mean it will become a bestseller somewhere else.

I understand the frustration, and loss of motivation to upload new content here. But killing an existing port - I'm just not sure that will result in higher sales of those images elsewhere.

As this isn't my living if they don't sell elsewhere it's not going to make any difference to me and at $0.10 per sale it might as well be nothing. It must be devastating to those who do live from stock and I would like to see Shutterstock wither and die and everybody to move elsewhere if it's possible for them to do so. AS seems to be working for some although the editorial barrier is a problem. I am new to all of this but having run my own business for 30 years it is appalling to change terms in the way it was done for contributors with almost no notice. i wouldn't attempt something similar with my clients, they would all run away! The timing given this health crises is of course making the whole situation even worse. At the end of this year switching off portfolios here might make SS sit up and take notice if enough do it. Even if there is a positive change for contributors the trust has been lost. Sad.

so after 2 months..i ve got more or less the same number of downloads, around 120, mostly subs obviously..so the math is easily done...without enhanced or on demand sales i'm screwed

and august won't sell much...

and sadly expecting them to change things is just stupid...changing things would mean they would have to apologise somehow and we all know that's not gonna happen

pfff

53 minutes ago, mpessaris said:

so after 2 months..i ve got more or less the same number of downloads, around 120, mostly subs obviously..so the math is easily done...without enhanced or on demand sales i'm screwed

and august won't sell much...

and sadly expecting them to change things is just stupid...changing things would mean they would have to apologise somehow and we all know that's not gonna happen

pfff

I don't expect anything to improve either. New contributors might believe $0.10 is normal. As has been said here before, a race to the bottom.

New approach after watching SS sales being overtaken by previously 3rd tier stock sites. When I sell an image on one of the other stock agencies, I delete it from SS. It seems to be effective. My sales elsewhere have picked up, so I'm making up the difference and not letting a good shot go for 10 cents. My sales are actually up for year to date and that's with having shut off the portfolio on SS for the entire month of July. SS isn't the only horse in the barn, it's just the lamest.

1 minute ago, Piotr Krzeslak said:

SS this days. I feel like they stealing from me. Enchanced for 3$. Total joke! SS is only stock on market i despise with all my heart. 

wtf shutter.jpg

thats why I suspended my portfolio and this is what everyone should do  

This is actually quite funny. Instead of telling my friends I can make 25 cents when one of my photos sells on Shutterstock, I can now get about 150% more laughs by explaining that I can now make 10 cents for each sale instead. 

Cool. 

6 hours ago, Pure Sight lab said:

They turned on my portfolio without my permission! Guys CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS you have to repeat turning off each 30 days now! Scam

Clipboard02.png

the increase of revenue is that they take the money FROM US. not from the buyer.. AND THEY can not attract MORE Buyer. and if we choose to get out they will loose that increase money source.. however, many of NEW uploaded image are still on the go.. and they have thousands of new image each day... 

they knew that many of cotributor will eventually pause the account like you did there. also they knew if some will got out. however many will stay and many will enter as new.

and the less contributor, they will focus on that. meaning less maintenence.. equals more money.. for them..

its not a matter of the buyer will have millions of image to choose from. its a matter of giving them the image. suitable or not.

imagine how in the world the buyer choose all thousand of image with the same keywords. also with almost the same object and theme. with short given time. so, less image will mean the buyer will have less option and buy the image they see it as quite the fit in that given time.

if buyer want more greater image, this means the buyer is very perfectionist, of professionally paid to, the can buy them from photographer or other at more expensive site.. they know this. by entering SS the will get that low to medicore product. even many are very good but searching it takes too long. 

so if our image or video is as good as we say, we can close our account sell them on other microstock company. this way other microstock will bloom because not have other competition of the same image with cheaper price.

but if the image is not as good, and we know it, when we just walk around the city and take pictures and upload almost all of them in SS. or when we do logo designs competition and loose, and upload the losing designs here. then almost free is the choise to stay.

for the record, many of FREE image with ALL you can do with that image stock website are also in the bloom. so how we can compete in this swirls of tornado of microstock?

we create unique quality image and video and sells them elsewhere.

hi,

i have stopped licensing my videos and pictures and i think they want us back very soon and they will change the earning structures very soon, i see some signs..............

La señal es que con la nueva estructura ha ganado 22 millones de dolares.

Interesting experience for me. I disabled my portfolio at the end of May - so SS never got to pay me the lucrative 10¢. In June, my sales elsewhere was stable. In July... my sales elsewhere dropped like a rock. Interesting that this would happen as I significantly increased all portfolios (other than SS) in June and July.

5 hours ago, Evgeny Drablenkov said:

I have 0,26 $ and 0,34 $ for the one video clip on 2nd Level.
And this is insane!

Yes, those are extremely insulting. It's some sort of integration with the Projector platform and Microsoft ads. Hopefully those are streaming licenses only. The good news is that they appear to be on top of the regular sales. Some folks have reported getting 40 of these in a single day. There were threads about these, can't find them anymore now.

8 hours ago, GregDPhotos said:

Interesting experience for me. I disabled my portfolio at the end of May - so SS never got to pay me the lucrative 10¢. In June, my sales elsewhere was stable. In July... my sales elsewhere dropped like a rock. Interesting that this would happen as I significantly increased all portfolios (other than SS) in June and July.

The same story. Looks like stock owners collusion. So cost reduction started on SS, was planned on other stocks also.

People, who has disabled sales, hang on there. It's important.

I sent a message to support asking them to close my account permanently, since I still have sales showing up over two months after disabling my account. I got a response with a link to close the account, but the link is cut off in the email, so it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to permanently delete my account here?

2 hours ago, Elena Umyskova said:

The same story. Looks like stock owners collusion. So cost reduction started on SS, was planned on other stocks also.

People, who has disabled sales, hang on there. It's important.

Possibly. 4 days into this month, and my trend is even worse than last. "Somethin' ain't right." 😏

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2020 at 1:22 AM, Milo J said:

Personally, I don't subscribe to the notion that customers will go hunt around for certain images on other agencies. There's too much out there in pretty much every category. Also, different images sell well at different agencies. If you delete a pic that was selling well over here, that doesn't necessarily mean it will become a bestseller somewhere else.

I understand the frustration, and loss of motivation to upload new content here. But killing an existing port - I'm just not sure that will result in higher sales of those images elsewhere.

I see many people  still don't understand or recognize that most of the 0.10 cent royalties come from images given for free. So, deleting such images makes sense, because the customers like but receive them for free through shutterstock. I am sure other agencies do similar things, but most of them don't give ridiculous 0.10 cents, or at least their RPD is higher. 

Edited by baypinar
grammar

11 hours ago, baypinar said:

I see many people  still don't understand or recognize that most of the 0.10 cent royalties come from images given for free. So, deleting such images makes sense, because the customers like them but they receive it for free through shutterstock. I am sure other agencies do similar things, but most of them don't give ridiculous 0.10 cents, or at least their RPD is higher. 

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm deleting another free image today.