Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

This is from the ShutterStock Inc (SSTK) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcript:

The report suggests that SS did better than was forecast with a higher revenue per download, 

That comes in part by turning to AI for ingesting the material supplied by contributors and also the huge reduction in what SS is now paying contributors. I do not see any reference in the report that SS is now paying contributors significantly less than what was paid out previously and that makes for a very distorted bottom line. That bottom line is not sustainable when a business shows no consideration for the suppliers of the material upon which the business was built. I have to wonder just how many contributors will be happy continuing to supply new material and have it return the minimum of just 10 cents.  

This is a temporary reprieve for SS and it seems to me that many shareholders would be well advised to take their money and run as the share price is not sustainable going forward.

The Q3 Earnings Call will tell the true story. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 2.24.45 PM.png

I can only imagine that such a huge increase in subscribers is due to including all those free 'ten-image packages'. Even when the subscription is cancelled whilst 'free', it still counts as  a new subscriber even though they spent nothing and all it cost SS is 10X $0.10 = $1.00max/trial. Very cheap trial too for SS.....imagine if all the free images had to be paid out at $0.38.

-Shutterstock top management: We have 340 Million images, we can make a good money giving them almost for free in partnership with other companies, as long as we don't pay the creators but peanuts.

-Shutterstock shareholders: Yeeees! Show me the money!

But there's something wrong in this reasoning: Shutterstock doesn't have any images, but the contributors are the owners.

Real owners of the work: What will you do? Make this company rich in change of nothing? Accept "whatever" is given to you? I'd better keep my pictures and show to my friends as an amateur. If I were a pro, I'd do something else with my pictures.

Another topic is the reviews of pictures in 2-3 minutes from submitting. Did shutterstock fire many reviewers and replaced by AI? Does shutterstock receive so few images that the reviewers are wating for them to get some comission?

I already said it, but shutterstock is destroying it's own busines.

2 hours ago, Guillermo Barda said:

Another topic is the reviews of pictures in 2-3 minutes from submitting. Did shutterstock fire many reviewers and replaced by AI? Does shutterstock receive so few images that the reviewers are wating for them to get some comission?

I already said it, but shutterstock is destroying it's own busines.

the ceo (intentionally lower case!) came clean on that, admitting that reviews are done by AI. there is a thread started today on that in the forum.

Last 10 downloads 10c and one 14c (all from old stock as I stopped uploading any new content when the new,without warning, structure was implimented). Takes 20 minutes to PS an airframe shot if it is good enough, for 10c I just can't be arsed!

On 7/13/2020 at 1:27 PM, Tony Dunn said:

I wish more buyers would go there after realising what SS are doing cos I've uploaded 139 images to DT but no sales.

That was very misleading on DT - I sold more than normal in June - and DID NOT receive 10% extra - I emailed and basically was told I wasn't eligible for some reason - i don't why why!!     I told them that it was misleading contributors but they didn't really reply to that!

20 hours ago, Yana Lesnik said:

Have a look on this report) SS pocket should be really really heavy now 🤑 🙂

123.jpg

The interesting statistic is really the 6% decline in paid downloads. I see more and more Unsplash photos around and believe this will get worse so that eventually contributors will receive less and less as microstock struggles to cope with the glut.

11 minutes ago, paula french said:

Nagyon félrevezető volt a DT vonatkozásában - júniusban a szokásosnál többet adtam el, és NEM NEM kaptam 10% -ot külön - e-mailt küldtem, és alapvetően azt mondták, hogy valamilyen okból nem vagyok jogosult - nem tudom, miért !! Mondtam nekik, hogy félrevezető közreműködők, de erre nem válaszoltak igazán!

Did you fill out a tax form? If I remember correctly, if it is missing then there may be discrepancies.

30 minutes ago, paula french said:

That was very misleading on DT - I sold more than normal in June - and DID NOT receive 10% extra - I emailed and basically was told I wasn't eligible for some reason - i don't why why!!     I told them that it was misleading contributors but they didn't really reply to that!

Hmmm...odd.....nothing to do with quantity sold. All my downloads automatically got paid extra - $2 sales stopped, and $2.20 sales appeared. Would be interested in their response....

33 minutes ago, paula french said:

the 10% extra only for new customer subscription plan. Therefore you will get some with 10%, some without 10% extra - I had the same question and got such reply.

I am a contributor from Italy, I have always privileged to upload my photos first on SS than on other online archives, 
both in terms of sales and revenues. After this ingenious thought, my earnings have decreased by three times ... 
I do not cancel my existing portfolio, it would be wasted further time, but I do not intend to upload new (and good) contents. 
I will load them on those of the competitors, which seems to me already more fierce....(and cheered by the suicide of SS) 
I believe that SS will lose many pro-contributors and a market segment, in exchange for some gains at the beginning.
Garbage royalties means garbage content. I refuse to put quality content on here at these rates. 
Good competition to GI without us...

image.png.f406d13164dd816058860c895aedcd16.png

Risultato web con link ai siti

Il servizio gratuito di Google traduce all'istante parole, frasi e pagine web tra l'italiano e più di 100 altre lingue.

Google Translate

Il servizio gratuito di Google traduce all'istante parole, frasi e ...
Reverso.net: Traduzione online in inglese, francese, spagnolo, tedesco, portoghese, russo.

(Italiano, Inglese, Francese, Tedesco, Spagnolo, Portoghese, Olandese, Polacco, Russo, Giapponese, Cinese) Combinazioni più richieste su DeepL Traduttore ...

Le persone hanno chiesto anche

Come si dice in inglese villa?

Come si dice in inglese Panorama?

Come tradurre app in italiano?

Come tradurre un messaggio vocale in inglese?

Non sei soddisfatto di Google Traduttore? Prova il servizio gratuito di Traduttore.it: puoi tradurre in tempo reale qualunque parola o testo straniero in italiano e ...

Traduzione del testo: traduci tra 103 lingue digitando • Tocca per tradurre: copia il testo desiderato in qualsiasi app e tocca l'icona di Google Traduttore per ...
Valutazione: 4,5 - ‎7.248.921 voti - ‎Gratis - ‎Android - ‎Utility/Strumenti

DISPOSITIVI MOBILI; OFFLINE; COMPUTER DESKTOP. Il tuo traduttore personale. L'app Traduttore è come un interprete personale sempre a portata di mano.

... di questo tipo permette di capire un testo in lingua straniera, ma è raramente accurata ed affidabile e in nessun caso può sostituire il lavoro di un traduttore.

Traduttore online gratuito che supporta le 19 lingue più diffuse su internet, arricchito da definizoni di dizionario, pronuncia, sinonimi ed esempi.

traduttore - Traduzione del vocabolo e dei suoi composti, e discussioni del forum.

Navigazione nelle pagine

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Avanti

Link piè di pagina

Italia
Castelnuovo Don Bosco, Provincia di Asti - In base alla tua attività passata - Utiliz

On 7/28/2020 at 12:44 PM, Giambattista Lazazzera said:

From June 1st to today I have exceeded 100 downloads. I should now be at level 2. Why are my photos still getting paid 10 cents?

Don't worry...Me at level 3 gain 10 cent, after 500 dl and now at level 4, gain 11-12 cent. Che figata!!!!

Hey guys! I'm level 6
And most of the sales are $0.10
So the level system is a fake from Shutterstock

hqdefault.jpg.1965cd6ef23c65af7772629923179a3e.jpg

Drop 40% with the same sales

7 hours ago, paula french said:

It only applies to newly sold sub plans from June 1. If a buyer downloads an image with an old plan you only get the old 0.35$. That was indeed communicated in a misleading way.

21 hours ago, paula french said:

As far as I understand, they pay 0.38 for subs subscribed after June 1st, for the previous 0.35. In fact, I have mixed sales, some 0.38 others 0.35

On 7/30/2020 at 5:31 PM, Luigi Bertello said:

I am a contributor from Italy, I have always privileged to upload my photos first on SS than on other online archives, 
both in terms of sales and revenues. After this ingenious thought, my earnings have decreased by three times ... 
I do not cancel my existing portfolio, it would be wasted further time, but I do not intend to upload new (and good) contents. 
I will load them on those of the competitors, which seems to me already more fierce....(and cheered by the suicide of SS) 
I believe that SS will lose many pro-contributors and a market segment, in exchange for some gains at the beginning.
Garbage royalties means garbage content. I refuse to put quality content on here at these rates. 

Good competition to GI without us...

Thanks for letting us all know about your intentions.

Still, what's with the long spam text?

My monthly statistics for July 2020 are ready.

shutterstock:

Although I haven't uploaded a single image since June 1st, 2020 and I had deleted an additional 10% of my images - and despite Corona I had 7% more downloads in July 2020 - compared to July 2019. This plus of downloads brought me a loss of income of minus 29% compared to July 2019, even though I would have to get 5% more commission through level 5, because now I get 35% - at the old highest level it was only 30%.

As shutterstock wrote: "...and reward performance with greater earnings potential".
So: I performed better than in 2019, because I had more downloads. But where are the "greater earnings", Kate? Where does the 29% loss of revenue come from?

In July 2020 I had
117 subs for $0.10
The average income for all subs together is $0.22. This is a minus of 42% for the subs - despite an improved ranking. Since there are hardly any ODs, Enhanced and SODs left, this simply cannot be compensated.

By the way, in July I earned 27% more at AS than at shutterstock. And this even though I didn't have any Enhanced or SOD on AS.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:54 PM, SmallWorldProduction said:

The fact that you guys try to sell this as a good thing to us is incredibly funny😂 Why would someone get reseted every January?! How does that make any sense despite the fact that you Guys get more money at the beginning of the year?! We instead will get less money for the same amount of work we put into a piece of content. You could have at least put Video and Photo together but yet you continue to make our lifes harder even in times of a global pandemic.

Well said It seems like a ridiculous & brutal industry made worse by these tech people. Photography & design is a REAL no worker protection 'I'm alright jack you can starve' type of industry. That's why I got out of it back in the 90's. What won't help is other areas of this industry that isn't stock will probably be pleased because they hated the new digital stock industry because it is a threat to their lively hoods.