Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

4 hours ago, Svetlana Satsiuk said:

my statistics June 27 $ :huh:💀

I saw these figures only at the beginning of my work with the SS

this is a shock

This is really bad, sorry. I would say hold in there for another month, you have a big and good port, it must be just bad luck what can happen to each of us. This is what we have to expect from the new SS, each of us.

4 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

it must be just bad luck what can happen to each of us.

in my humble opinion, luck is the last thing to hope for. especially in such a business

25 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

So, how do you even know that Shutterstock is not selling your images without any pay to you? 

If Shutterstock cheats here, they are not trust worthy in general. This is a serious concern! 

How does anyone know that?

I think it’s more likely to be delayed earnings. Unlikely SS is secretly selling my stuff and then paying me for those secret sales.

7 minutes ago, Rocky Grimes said:

How does anyone know that?

I think it’s more likely to be delayed earnings. Unlikely SS is secretly selling my stuff and then paying me for those secret sales.

Delayed by 2 weeks? That is not how it works unfortunately. 

Ok, with 1 month of statistics I got 24% decrease in incoming (I'm currently level 4).

It doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is putting (For images, not videos). But yes it is bad, considering it was already too cheap.

32 minutes ago, Antonio Salaverry said:

Ok, with 1 month of statistics I got 24% decrease in incoming (I'm currently level 4).

It doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is putting (For images, not videos). But yes it is bad, considering it was already too cheap.

What was the change in your RPD?

So, I deleted my portfolio and requested for my payout of 3 HD clips for a grand total of .78 cents - SS refuses to pay since they say they don't payout anything less than $1.00. It's hard to imagine - what is this country becoming with all that's happening. Never seen or heard of such business practices in my long career. 

Mind you it's not the .78 cents - its the principal of the matter.

4 hours ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

So, how do you even know that Shutterstock is not selling your images without any pay to you? 

If Shutterstock cheats here, they are not trust worthy in general. This is a serious concern! 

Although Shutterstock has changed its business model to the detriment of the contributors I don’t agree with your skepticism or believe they are blatantly and illegally selling our photos behind our backs.

My support here is that I disabled all of my contributions on Shutterstock as everyone should do if they support the effort here.   Why are you still selling on Shutterstock?

And, I ask you, for the second time, the same question you asked me; “So, how do you even know that Shutterstock is not selling your images without any pay to you?”   Well?   My answer is that they are not. What say you?

Ya solo faltan 7 meses para pasar todos  a nivel 1

Es lo mas justo

On 6/30/2020 at 11:49 PM, Neo Geometric said:

😃

Haha cool. But don't worry, you'll find many survivors on Pond5, AS, DT, Alamy and maybe other decent places.

5 hours ago, Antonio Salaverry said:

It doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is putting

"as everyone is putting" Wow. Do you mean people lie about their statistics? 

4 hours ago, Rocky Grimes said:

Although Shutterstock has changed its business model to the detriment of the contributors I don’t agree with your skepticism or believe they are blatantly and illegally selling our photos behind our backs.

My support here is that I disabled all of my contributions on Shutterstock as everyone should do if they support the effort here.   Why are you still selling on Shutterstock?

And, I ask you, for the second time, the same question you asked me; “So, how do you even know that Shutterstock is not selling your images without any pay to you?”   Well?   My answer is that they are not. What say you?

Sorry Rocky, maybe I should have been more clear. I'm not claiming that Shutterstock is doing those things. I'm saying that there seem to be discrepancies where questions should be ask. I'm currently not selling on Shutterstock. It is disabled at the moment. (Try to buy an image and you will see) However, I turn it back on from time to time to see if the pricing has changed. Shutterstock can steer  which product they want to push..

To you last question, we simply do not know, but we have to watch if there are other discrepancies. Which brings us back to the point, that if there is something is not adding up with sales made from portfolios disabled weeks ago, what else is wrong?

So June is over and its time for a real statistic. How did I do it? I took all downloads and restated them with what the old earnings scheme would have brought. This eliminates the possible bias of changed RPDs or fluctuation of DL numbers. It simply says how much would I have earned in the old system and how much did I get in the new system - plain and simple.

I am currently on level 4 for stills and on level 1 for video since I only just started to upload videos from time to time (didn't upload anything from May 26th). Life time earnings are below 3.000$ since I began late after giving up iStock exclusivity. So my sub payment used to be 0,33$ and there was not a fall as steep as from 0,38$.

For stills my loss of income is 17% and for video it is 50%. In total the loss is 29%.

Very interesting are also as-if-models for January. My loss will then be 52% with Level 1 applied and 42% with level 2 applied. Since even with Level 4 I make a substantial loss plus the loss until reaching level 4 in the beginning of each year I see no motivation to further upload and will decide EOY whether to disable my whole port. I didn't model what my loss would have been with Level 5 (because we can't without figures for the original price for sub DLs) but I can't imagine that the 17% gap for stills would be closed with 35% instead of 30% seeing masses of 0,10$ downloads. And Level 5 suppliers surely had higher life time earnings and thus higher old scheme earnings than me.

I am 100% sure that Shutterstock did a complete restatement of last years payouts with the new scheme and came up with a huge profit when even Level 5 sellers struggle to keep their earnings. But they surely won't share.

May 948 430,51$

June 1079 278,18$

😑

So it goes. There was more. There was an incentive to ship. Now there is no such desire. Increase in SS sales? stay on the market say? Make quality content that gets lost in this madness?

Most sales are under $ 0.20.

I thought unfair things happen only in my country.

Censorship appeared.

SS began to jerk. You can see how the articles are trying to motivate the participants.

Fortunately, the creativmarket website had sales.

As an amateur I believe that I should not pay for shutterstock shareholders lavish lifestyles. Considering the wear of equipment, even if it is a smartphone or a low profile DSLR, the transport and telecom costs, and the private time spent for keywording, etc, I feel that I am subsidizing Shutterstock. Why should I do that? Other sites are also fun. Besides, their RPD is 4 to 100 times more (considering Alamy, especially). 

My conclusion is to delete each image as they are sold first time, until no images are left here. Since they are sold for 0.10 cents, I lose nothing. But it will lead to a lot of paperwork there in the office for sure. 

Hi guys!

Have anyone tried to download his own images for free? Haha

I saw that there is plan for 10 free images for 1 month. Every next month you must pay. But.. you can cancel it anytime and keep the free images. So theoreticly you do this, will they pay you something or they don't? So if they pay, where they get the money? (or there is money left from the new low earning structure?) 

And does someone tried this on his own profile? Haha. I'm just wondering. 

I did some photos but, not motivated to upload at all.

3 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

So June is over and its time for a real statistic. How did I do it? I took all downloads and restated them with what the old earnings scheme would have brought. This eliminates the possible bias of changed RPDs or fluctuation of DL numbers. It simply says how much would I have earned in the old system and how much did I get in the new system - plain and simple.

I am currently on level 4 for stills and on level 1 for video since I only just started to upload videos from time to time (didn't upload anything from May 26th). Life time earnings are below 3.000$ since I began late after giving up iStock exclusivity. So my sub payment used to be 0,33$ and there was not a fall as steep as from 0,38$.

For stills my loss of income is 17% and for video it is 50%. In total the loss is 29%.

Thank you for doing the actual math. I did as well. Your loss is very similar to mine. I'm level 4 images and level 2 video.

When this whole thing went down, I was ever the optimist, assuming that the ODDs and SODs would make up for the loss in the other categories. Now that the month is over, I can see that they did not.

My loss for stills is 37%, video 33.3%. Overall earnings loss was 29.3% compared to what I would have made before the change.

629665271_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_12_10AM.png.7e3e98fd0561fb4e335173f1dac1e746.png

My numbers are in for June. No doubt about it, net income from here took a nose dive. Net income on the other stock agencies were up, so overall I'm up for the year to date and June results are good elsewhere, considering the global pandemic effect.

Not going to disable my portfolio. I will be halting all new content uploads here though. The average return doesn't pay for the time it takes to upload them.

Sorry Shutterstock. You screwed yourself in the process of screwing the contributors.

1 minute ago, Gray Photo Online said:

Not going to disable my portfolio. I will be halting all new content uploads here though. The average return doesn't pay for the time it takes to upload them.
Sorry Shutterstock. You screwed yourself in the process of screwing the contributors.

Same feelings for me. I actually did upload a few things, but between the earnings loss and the increasingly ridiculous rejections - supposedly invalid releases that were deemed perfectly fine last month, stupid rejections for similar (a guy surfing and a guy falling off his board are the same thing?) - I'm at the point where I just say f...k it, I'm not going to fight this anymore. I was all fired up in May, and ready to put some serious effort into this. But now the motivation is gone.

So, good luck, Shutterstock, with that continuing stream of fresh, trendy content you said the new system would reward.

I haven‘t uploaded since the announcement and turned of both photo and video at different times to send a message of discontent like thousands of others.

However, I make my own decisions. I have activated video to collect my own data. I will also do the same for photos.

There is no hurry, I believe the market will sort itself out.

There are contributors with large editorial or walk around ports that seem to be doing fine. So maybe that is the direction SS wants to go, a few „stock factory“ contributors that supply high quality content in large volume and lots of amateur or editorial shooters, that upload everything from their mobile phone.

Probably the stock factories are unaffected by the changes anyway, because they can negotiate their own rate cards.

So maybe that is the grand plan, who knows? Attract millions of new contributors with mobile phones? That literally document the world around them as a live stream?

The part timers, that invest time and or money in their production will gradually drift to other places like Adobe. Or maybe send their content to exclusive agencies. Perhaps we will see a rise of smaller, boutique production houses again.

In the end, the money will always decide. Producers will only upload the type of content that makes them money.

And January with the reset will be interesting. But maybe by then SS will change the rate card to a rolling 12 month average, so that amateur and pros do not start out at the same level. People that work hard and really achieve the 40%, should not drop to 15% on January 1st. It does not make for a very happy New Year. 

From the number of 10 and 12cent subs I've been getting, it seems to me that SS have been selling those mega cheap 750 image packs to everybody for the last few....years? :(