Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

8 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

I just got an "On Demand" sale for $2.10 and I am on Level 4 (30%). My question is: Which package is the buyer using? It is all very complicated and I can not sort it out.

Same for a Subscription sale of $0.52. What was the value the buyer paid for?

Can someone help with the packages and calculations? 

Divide the amount you received by .3 (your royalty rate) and look for a package where the listed price per image is equal. Works for subs, most SODs, and possibly some ODDs.

2 minutes ago, Colobus said:

Couple of hours ago I disabled License to cell my images. But my port is still accessible. How much time does it take?

It takes about two days (dependent on how many images you have), until they're not searchable anymore, but as soon as your port's deactivated customers can't buy them anymore. They can still find them, but get an error message once they try to buy.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:36 PM, Davaiphotography said:

Ditto

105382998_4278858655488093_8518836788127673742_n.jpg

Wow, I'm very surprised to see such a careless ignorant answer from  the former CEO of Shutterstock. What a lack of professionalism and care for those who provide the content to Shutterstock!

1 hour ago, s4svisuals said:

I am sorry, but I don't really understand your question...

Sorry, you quoted Mr. Ihlenfeld - but that was not a question for you from him, but an answer for me. I already found it, thanks 😉 

6 hours ago, Guillermo Barda said:

What average are you talking about?

In the very first post is clearly written that shutterstock will pay 15% of the price to the contributors at the beginning of each year, no matter how much they sold in the past, no matter at what price they sell. And it means that for the sales they do on subscription plans, they pay 0,10$ till you sell 250, and only after 25000 sells they will give you 40%, if you are getting 30% means you already sold 500 times, but next year you'll start from 15% again. You can take a calculation on how much you are not being paid for the first 500 sales at the beginning of every year. I guess if you sell 300000 images a year you won't worry much about that.

I did this calculation and posted it somewhere on the first pages of this topic. It's quite easy:

If one is at Level 5, like me, he looses 67% for the first 100 images, 43% for the next 150, 29% for the next 250 and finally 14% for the next 2000 images. I estimate this loss as 100-150$ for a Level 5, and it's not looking very fair to me.

But once again, yes, I'm talking about the average you get for your images in one given year. With all levels you've been to, with all kinds of sells. And that average, together with the number of downloads, says how much money you earn. I'm not sure that we will see an increase in downloads, and the average me personally having right now is 13% less as usual. It means: I earn 13% less money as I would expect given the same number of downloads before June. But the number of downloads are down anyway because of corona. And the buyer pattern is not the same now as it was before corona or before June 1. It could well be, that after thing get normal again, we will earn the same money as before, even given -150$ at the beginning of the year, to get back to Level 5. Or it might be not. Hard to say now.

This numbers could look different for you, of course...

My overall sales net income ytd across all stock agencies is currently up 4% from 2019 to date. Even with the pandemic, I'm still seeing good sales even though my uploads have slowed down a bit as I'm not as active these past three months. Shutterstock is the only platform that is underperforming at the moment with a slew of 10 cent commissions, and a few more at 12 cents since I moved up to level 3. Don't know where I was level wise before the pillage, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to curtail sending new images up, as they'll do better elsewhere and I don't want to undercut them by giving them away here. At some point, I half way expect they'll charge us to sell our photos. You made 8 sales today, you owe us 12 cents per sale! Please update your credit card on file.

I never cared much about images on Shutterstock because $0.38 wasn't even fair and i never get rich by selling images. So it was not that hard to disable selling my images.

I focused on selling my videos but now i have to think about disabling also my video portfolio. $3.18 was a joke but $0.34 is not funny! All sales shown in the picture are video sales. Shutterstock, really?

Shutterstock.jpg

14 hours ago, Stripsa said:

Hey, late for the rant rage party, i have a tiny lump of illustrations and i don't want to sell them for this cheap. 33 was alright, 10 is just too low. 

Is there any way of action you people are making, or some guide or general direction for this situation? I'm gonna take them down when i reach 75$ threshold. I would like to either sell them by myself or just give them away if for free. So once again, what is general way of action?

There is a Facebook group...many, many members.  Look for Stock Submitter Coalition.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

Your commissions are now appearing in the appropriate column.

Dear @Kate Shutterstock,

To clarify, we receive royalties (which should be in the 50-80% range); your company receives a commission for selling the products we supply. I think that proper use of industry terms might help with communication around here.

Sincerely,

A supplier

This is all the royalties for selling a video for yesterday from a group of authors. June 25th. Everyone had sales until the level of authors rose. Place of purchase with a dash, unknown. What kind of license is this? How can I buy all these videos in stock for such money?)

photo_2020-06-25_08-10-00.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_20-09-11.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_20-37-19.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_20-42-48.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_20-49-20.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_21-10-46.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_21-23-21.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_21-32-35.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_21-38-03.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_22-07-18.jpg

photo_2020-06-25_23-59-30.jpg

photo_2020-06-26_05-10-58.jpg

photo_2020-06-26_07-41-28.jpg

As a result of the month, I can say this: my RPI has grown, the number of sales has remained plus / minus at the same level, an inexpensive subscription is offset by good demands. In general, there is even a slight shift in plus. According to the video, there are very few cheap sales, but they are, but there are also sales of the video over $ 100. In general, everything is not so bad and even good in some places))

I'm totally lost with this "new earnings structure". I really can not understand it. It smells awful!

Since June 1, I had a great variety of sales, even if in Shutterstock website there is not as many buying options.

In “Subscription” I have: 0.10, 0.11, 0.12, 0.13, 0.14, 0.17, 0.19, 0.22, 0.30, 0.37, 0.41, 0.50, 0.52, 0.56, 0.59, 0.66, 0.68 and 1.18 ($) value sales

In “On Demand” I have: 1.80, 2.10, 2.29 and 2.38 ($) value sales (none of them Enhanced)

I am on level 4 at 30% royalty. However, I can not sort out the relationship between the values shown above and the official SS pricing published in the website.

Can someone at SS Admin explain what is going on? 

Last 15 DLs totaled 1.86 instead of 4.95 on level 4. The only consequence to make subs sustainable is scraping the 350 and 750 DL plans. But SS earns more on those because the higher the plan the higher the number of unused slots which bring 100% for SS.

image.jpeg

15 hours ago, GregDPhotos said:

Divide the amount you received by .3 (your royalty rate) and look for a package where the listed price per image is equal. Works for subs, most SODs, and possibly some ODDs.

Ok. However in the listed price per images for subs there is only 12 options (4 monthly no contract, 4 billed monthly and 4 billed upfront). So far this month of June I already have sales for 18 (eighteen) different values (from $0.10 to $1.18). For ODs I have right now 4 (four) sales on single $ digit (from $1.80 to $2.38) and the listed price per image only states 2 (two) options on Standard Licence. The other ODs are Enhanced License and on double digit value.

It is difficult to understand.

16 hours ago, Gray Photo Online said:

With the better part of June over, I've done a quick check of my profit margins for images sold here. For June of 2019, my average sale of an image generated $1.11 per downloaded image. For June 2020, my average sale of an image is generating $0.56 per image. Shutterstock has effectively cut my sales returns in half with the new price structure. Historically, I've earned about $0.76 per download. Still way below what I've been seeing over the years.

Skimming our profits is not a good way to continue doing business. I don't like investing time and effort on failure.

I'll give SS another two months and then reevaluate my business relationship with them then.

they won't care about it in 2 months. End of June is the end of their financial period, and the results go straight to the investors. 

If you want to hurt SS or make them think, you might want to deactivate your portfolio TILL the end of June

15 hours ago, s4svisuals said:

I am sorry, but I don't really understand your question...

Hi s4svisuals,

that wasn't meant as a question. I only wanted to show DrObjektiff where to find his stats and figures.