Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

As both a contributor and specifying art director, I see the inevitable withdrawl of many portfolios a very limiting factor when recommending to my clients which library they should partner. I see this as a massively negative move by Shutterstock that can only harm its reputation as a professional library.  

40 minutes ago, Paul Vinten said:

Estoy de acuerdo.

Antes de apresurarme en las cosas, pensé en darle una oportunidad a June y ver qué pasaba. Bueno, los resultados están en (casi) y con una caída del 70% en las ganancias este mes y mis ingresos mensuales más bajos con SS en los últimos OCHO AÑOS (de los 10 años que he estado con ellos), creo solo hay un resultado posible. Sé que hay personas que ganan menos que nosotros en SS y que debes estar agradecido y no codicioso por lo que obtienes, pero realmente esto es suficiente. La fotografía a este nivel es una profesión calificada, no un hobby y se nos debe pagar como tal, no arrojar algunos pedazos para tratar de mantenernos interesados. Es un insulto sangriento después de todos los años que he dedicado a construir mi cartera y llegar a lo que antes era el nivel superior con SS.

Cinco días más solo para resistir y darles una oportunidad 'justa' de demostrar que estoy equivocado y luego me quedaré con las agencias que muestran más aprecio por la calidad y el esfuerzo que ponemos en esta industria.

no te olvides, DIA D, HORA H.

Muchos ya hemos iniciado el desembarco.

TRABAJADORES DE LA IMAGEN, TODOS A NEGRO

Por un salario justo.

Shutterstock now has a censorship. They have removed my icon with the crossed out 10 cents. And also was deleted an explanation where to find a new content.

I will upload the protest icon again. It’s not difficult for me. Check your profile, guys!

8 hours ago, Stefan Mokrzecki said:

It all seems a short term solution, that is not sustainable in the long term. ShutterStock is is in the business of selling content and the success of the company rests on the supply of fresh quality content to meet client needs. If it is not sustainable for contributors, then the business model will not be sustainable for ShutterStock. Successful businesses know the importance of looking after the supply chain, so how is SS getting it so wrong? The phrase "A House Of Cards" comes to mind.

I had less than 300 photos on SS before disabling my account so wasn’t financially tied to it, it just kept me in new gear.

I do wonder if, like many industries, once a competitor makes a move like this that other stock sites may look at doing the same thing.  Would hate to think this is a tread.

44 minutes ago, Andrew Rybalko said:

Shutterstock now has a censorship. They have removed my icon with the crossed out 10 cents. And also was deleted an explanation where to find a new content.

I will upload the protest icon again. It’s not difficult for me. Check your profile, guys!

2020-06-24_19-09-27.png

Yep, my "subtitle" was also removed where I described that new content will be only available on other fair agencies. They are putting in a lot of effort!

52 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

Wow last 7 DLs today totalled 0,77$. Level 4.

Overall loss when comparing old to new earnings structure currently 31% (same DLs restated with an Excel sheet to old payments structure).

1 download on Adobe Stock today...

Captura.JPG

In my view, SS with this move is downgrading to compete with smaller stock agencies. It seems the competition from Adobe hit them hard. So they repositioned to compete with smaller fish in the pond. It's like an animal with the tail between its legs running for safety. It is curious that Adobe immediately after changed its icon to black and white (same as Getty and Alamy), SO AS TO INDICATE: We are aiming higher now!

13 minutes ago, BobNoah said:

I have a question, do the images in Bigstock are sold through SS as well? 

They are still paying 29 cents. How does this work?  Any comments? 

Well brace your self...

Bigstock

10 images per day €0,26 / image

Looks like its run by the same idiots. How braininess you have to be to offer that kind of subscription is beyond me.

It will change soon for sure

3 hours ago, Andrew Rybalko said:

2020-06-24_19-09-27.png

me too

37 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

Bueno, prepárate ...

Bigstock

10 imágenes por día  € 0,26 / imagen

Parece que está dirigido por los mismos idiotas. La capacidad mental que tienes que ser para ofrecer ese tipo de suscripción me supera.

Cambiará pronto seguro

Yo llevo unos años en Big, es como una filial de SS. llevo más de 1 año esperando llegar a 30 $ para cerrar la cuenta. si te quieres ir no te pagan si no llegas a 30$. tengo miles de fotos iguales en las 2 agencias, en SS las vendo y en Big no.

Could be a way in which SS continues to pay their most valuable contributors based on the old earning structure and they implemented the new earning structure only for us (the contributors with small portfolios and small earnings)? Or maybe they are considering to return to the old earning structure after they get rid of some of us.

I am thinking that this could be their method of getting rid of the weed....

Big contributors usually are professional photographers/designers who provide quality stuff, while with us it takes more effort/ workforce to select good images and there is always the risk that those images will never be sold.

And if these are their true intentions, why don't they deactivate the images with no sales after a specified number of years?

2 minutes ago, photosmatic said:

Could be a way in which SS continues to pay their most valuable contributors based on the old earning structure and they implemented the new earning structure only for us (the contributors with small portfolios and small earnings)? Or maybe they are considering to return to the old earning structure after they get rid of some of us.

I am thinking that this could be their method of getting rid of the weed....

Big contributors usually are professional photographers/designers who provide quality stuff, while with us it takes more effort/ workforce to select good images and there is always the risk that those images will never be sold.

And if these are their true intentions, why don't they deactivate the images with no sales after a specified number of years?

africa studio is large but has frozen portfolio !!!

3 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

africa studio is large but has frozen portfolio !!!

Then maybe the shareholders decided to get very rich, very fast. No matter what the outcome will be for SS as a business/company, we will be the only losers.

By the end of the year, the shareholders will have enough money to retire in a modest villa by the beach, somewhere in Bahamas.

11 minutes ago, Davaiphotography said:

Do you still doubt it?

I don't doubt this.. I just don't understand what is their objective? To destroy their business?

13 hours ago, Davaiphotography said:

Ditto

105382998_4278858655488093_8518836788127673742_n.jpg

What's really ridiculous is that Oringer "forgot" that there are other microstocks and no need to sell content "on your own".

4 hours ago, Amir Bajric said:

they want to destroy other agencies

Right, and now it's up to contributors whether to help Shutterstock to destroy other agencies or not.

12 minutes ago, Natwood said:

Right, and now is up to contributors whether to help Shutterstock to destroy other agencies or not.

I'm not afraid of that at all, Adobe is a much richer company with a much better plan, which will soon dominate.

5 hours ago, Andrew Rybalko said:

2020-06-24_19-09-27.png

My explanation was gone too. I just reenterd it again.