Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

4 minutes ago, Creatus said:

My utmost respect to all those who are not afraid to take a stand and deactivate/delete their portfolio's!

That goes for those who can afford it (side income) and especially for those who cannot (main income)

I live on 500 euros a month, I need money, but think in the long run, if they continue like this, photography will cost 0.001 usd in the future

5 hours ago, whitejellybeans said:

II am a contributor and a buyer. Our business signed up for the monthly plan over eight months ago as we were setting up a couple of websites. Most months go by now where we are lucky to purchase one or two images a month but are still paying $49 per month for the subscription as it was an annual commitment. The months that our business does not purchase any images means that SS does not need to pay any of their contributors a cent. 
I suspect that the overheads for storing images are huge, but I would have thought good business sense would be to offload images that have not sold for say three years or so and allow contributors to resubmit. It is appalling what SS has done to their contributors who are the backbone of their company. It is also a lazy business to take the easiest option out by cutting the bonus to their contributors rather than looking at other ways to cut a profit. 
For our business, once the subscription runs out, our company will never buy images off Shutterstock again. As a contributor, my portfolio is small and was just a side income.  I am in the process of deleting all my decent images and leaving all my crapy ones on SS that I submitted when I first started out. 

Please start using your full entitlement as a buyer, then photographers / artists will get paid. Bleating that SS gets all the money is not their problem. Just use your entitlement - doesn't matter if you never need those images. Nice photo of Oriental bay btw

Now I get 0.40c per image sometimes and 0.10c for other images. Its 100% unclear to me now what kind of payment structure to expect on my images and why I am getting paid what. I see the new structure changes but have no idea how to apply the structure and understand my potential earnings on my images. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Shine said:

Now I get 0.40c per image sometimes and 0.10c for other images. Its 100% unclear to me now what kind of payment structure to expect on my images and why I am getting paid what. I see the new structure changes but have no idea how to apply the structure and understand my potential earnings on my images. 

It depends what subscription plan buyer is using, you always get percent (different on different contributor levels) of that sale.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:06 PM, Guillermo Barda said:

Hello Shutterstock,

I'm a small contributor with a few pictures, after some years I had my first payment and now I have 24,85$ pending to be paid, but as the last sell was priced at 0,10$, my sales are 1 per month and the minimum payment is 35$. It will take me about 8 years and half to be paid again. Therefore, better than wait 8 years, I'll delete all my pictures now.

0,10$ isn't worth the effort of labeling any new photos, it isn't worth the internet usage to load ithe picture, it isn't worth the electricity spent by the battery of the camera, it isn't worth having a camera.

Enjoy my 24,85$ that you'll keep probably for ever.

If you contact them to close your account they will pay you. Why should you lose the money.

Hello. I am writing to you as an active contributor to Shutterstock. In June, I see extremely depressing royalty rates under the new profit accrual rules. I am very disappointed with these figures, as Shutterstock is the main source of income for me. Shutterstock's earnings structure update puts me 2 years back in terms of profit, which is critical for me in the context of the global crisis.
I understand that you represent a huge company with your interests and you need to make a profit from your business. But content creators are an important part of this community. Now we are in absolute ignorance and cannot predict how much we will be able to earn in the future.
I certainly hope to review the terms of payments to creators to reduce this monstrous gap that awaits us in the coming months.

7 minutes ago, freesoulproduction said:

payments

Payment.....
I'm gonna get a shitstorm, but I think this misunderstanding should be cleared up:

We're not getting paid.
We're not employees of SS.
On the contrary.
We pay SS. 
We're the clients of SS.
We give our pictures to the SS to market.
SS keep a percentage and give us a share.
Unfortunately a very small, unjust and insulting share, that's right.
But still.
It's not SS that pays us, it's SS that we pay. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

6 minutes ago, geogif said:

Payment.....
I'm gonna get a shitstorm, but I think this misunderstanding should be cleared up:

We're not getting paid.
We're not employees of SS.
On the contrary.
We pay SS. 
We're the clients of SS.
We give our pictures to the SS to market.
SS keep a percentage and give us a share.
Unfortunately a very small, unjust and insulting share, that's right.
But still.
It's not SS that pays us, it's SS that we pay. 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

No shitstorm from me, you are right.

"Beating your head against a brick wall" new policy. Strong headshakes against the wall? Again, and again, and again... The lack of true communication is a clear evidence of no commitment. Don't get sickened by this. They will get what they deserve. Soon. 

On 5/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

My progress bars show no progress towards the next level. Do our Jan -May sales count toward moving up to the next level? Or do we have to start in June and still get reset in January? I’m questioning whether SS adds enough value for me to give them 90% of my earnings tbh. As a small contributor. I don’t expect to ever move beyond level 2, possibly 3. But I have some niche material that earns well for me elsewhere. 🤷‍♀️

60% payment cut and 80% focus/noise rejections (of pictures accepted W/O problems by IS, AS, DT, ...). Sales deactivated and uploading stopped.

4 hours ago, Picture Store said:

Hello. I am writing to you as an active contributor to Shutterstock. In June, I see extremely depressing royalty rates under the new profit accrual rules. I am very disappointed with these figures, as Shutterstock is the main source of income for me. Shutterstock's earnings structure update puts me 2 years back in terms of profit, which is critical for me in the context of the global crisis.
I understand that you represent a huge company with your interests and you need to make a profit from your business. But content creators are an important part of this community. Now we are in absolute ignorance and cannot predict how much we will be able to earn in the future.
I certainly hope to review the terms of payments to creators to reduce this monstrous gap that awaits us in the coming months.

They dont care, at this point its your decision what you gonna do about it. Me myself i shifted main focus on Adobe and deactivated portfolio here as that would crippled my earnings elsewhere. Its not something i gonna benefit straight away but after just  2 days after deactivating port my adobe downloads doubled and 50% of that was 99c subs .(Euro cent not $). At this point its too early to confirm its not just coincidence but im sure it will pick up in time even more... but example with just subscription: 7 x Adobe sales 99c each and 7x 36c so here i would have to sell 100 photos to get that money... But whats the difference 14 or 100 sales its the same right? 

This is the fifth or sixth time within 14 days that I have been asked to participate in a survey.

This time maybe because I was about to delete some pictures again.

Just for your information, what shutterstock would like to know from us:

survey.jpg

46 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

They dont care, at this point its your decision what you gonna do about it. Me myself i shifted main focus on Adobe and deactivated portfolio here as that would crippled my earnings elsewhere. Its not something i gonna benefit straight away but after just  2 days after deactivating port my adobe downloads doubled and 50% of that was 99c subs .(Euro cent not $). At this point its too early to confirm its not just coincidence but im sure it will pick up in time even more... but example with just subscription: 7 x Adobe sales 99c each and 7x 36c so here i would have to sell 100 photos to get that money... But whats the difference 14 or 100 sales its the same right? 

I wish you luck and many sales but an old proverb says: Don't praise the day before sunset.