Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

15 minutes ago, gallofilm said:

If they are based in Russia then don't have to respect any copyright laws. 

Shutterstock could ban them as a buyers, what's stopping them? They just don't care and they are satisfied with all possible schemes, even those that violate their rules. I wrote to SS more than once about this, nothing has ever changed. There are lot of sites in Russia which sells images from SS, all of them registered as a buyers and nothing fears.

Good afternoon,

I, too, join all those who oppose such a drastic reduction in payments. 
Although my portfolio is not so big and has only 2000 photos, and the payments were still a symbolic one for me before. The desire to prepare and add new photos has been completely rejected. I turned off all my pictures-videos, too.

12 minutes ago, Ionov Vitaly said:

Good afternoon,

I, too, join all those who oppose such a drastic reduction in payments. 
Although my portfolio is not so big and has only 2000 photos, and the payments were still a symbolic one for me before. The desire to prepare and add new photos has been completely rejected. I turned off all my pictures-videos, too.

Symbolic or not someone as a buyer have a need to buy your work. So when he try to buy one that he loved and seeing he cant will be equally disappointed if your sales are big or small and if he really need it he will check other agencies if its there. Some of my niche photos sometimes go even up to 70 sales in 10min by one customer. And its not one or two time thing. So if they need it they can go subscribe to Adobe.

2 hours ago, Przemek Iciak said:

So... i stopped uploads to shuterstock this month and was hoping to see some growth on Adobe in coming months. Was going back and forward with idea of disabling it.

After 3 weeks i can see my return per download dropped from $1 to 0.40c in month average. While adobe goes strong 1Euro per download.

So I disabled my 7 thousand photos port today. There is no reason for me to see next few months to decide what to do. Its everyone's personal decision and my photos arent mobile snapshots. It took some effort, time and equipment to produce them.

You have a great portfolio, I think you made the right decision.

5 hours ago, Dmitry Pichugin said:

These assholes https://shopdiz.pro/user/login act as intermediaries between you and the buyers, they pay you to download any image only once, then they sell this image as many times as they like without paying you and us anything. Instead of fighting against sutch violators, you reduce our payments. 
This became known now when people have sales turned off, but buyers can still buy popular images from you through such intermediaries, because in fact they buy not from you, but from their database.
Your whole business is overgrown with many thieves, criminals and violators of the rules and laws, their name is legion but you don't care about that. This of course lowers your and our incomes, but instead of fighting this, you decided to restore your incomes at the expense of us, finally destroying us. Shame on you

You're right. It's another very important issue. Shutterstock doesn't bother at all about those theft problems. For example, there are many videos on youtube instructing how to use special apps for stealing images from Shutterstock. I reported those videos to youtube, but it doesn't help. I'm sure SS aware of those apps and videos and they could make to remove them easily, but they don't care, they are too busy squeezing enormous amounts of images out of contributors. Here comes again the same question: then why do they take the biggest part of the income from our images to themselves if we have to take care of almost everything in all the process, including fighting thieves? The answer: because they're sure they usurped the whole image selling business and now they can do whatever they want. They think they can walk all over the contributors now and the contributors will let them.

40 minutes ago, Bob Deering said:

You have a great portfolio, I think you made the right decision.

Thank you, I'm sure its the best decision. No conversation from SS side 5 days notice of our terms and condition radical changes and reset of our commissions every year. Thats not the conditions we sigh for at the firs place. If any new agency would come on the market with those rules no one would even look at it. They think they big so they can do whatever they wont, Ok but not with me.

8 hours ago, RoJo Images said:

Doesn't SS realize customers will see this - do they really think it will tempt them to buy?  Something is up as to why they are trying to increase their numbers.

I think the customers will keep buying the old good photos for some time, and SS will try to keep some good photographers buying their loyalty with a special pay structure. BUT. Since SS accepts dozens of thousands of poor images just to keep the Sacred Number high (to show it the investors), sooner or later the buyers will get tired of rummaging in the heap of trash looking for something good and will move to the more clean microstock sites.

19 hours ago, kallen1979 said:

So can anyone tell me how I disable my portfolio? To add to the pain of this new payment structure, the SS reviewers are back to doing weird things with their approvals of content. I'm pretty fed up with them.

How do I deactivate/delete my contributor account?

We provide the options below to deactivate/delete your contributor account:

Opting out of sales (recommended option)
Opting out of sales will remove your content from online display, but keeps your account active and ensures that your earnings payment will be made when you reach the minimum payout level. Your referral earnings will also continue to accumulate. Opting in or out of sales allows you to quickly reinstate your previously approved content if you decide to return to Shutterstock in the future.

To opt out of sales, log into your account and navigate to the Account Settings page from the drop-down menu under your name in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the section How can we license your work? and select No for the sales options.

Deleting your account
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. You can immediately change your profile here or request a deletion of your personal information from our privacy team - Privacy@shutterstock.com. Deleting your account will permanently remove your content from online display, bar access to your account and participation in our forums. You can find detailed information on our Privacy Policy.

13 hours ago, VIIIPhotography said:

I cant share this(

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 11.10.09.jpg

Nobody can. Looks like a "mysterious" group of people flagged this post as "abusive" (or, as a Facebook employee tries to put it, it's a "mistake" of FB's algorithm which happened, because the word "boycott" in the comments section below the text in question triggered such) and FB banned it from being shared.

9 minutes ago, AKaiser said:

Nobody can. Looks like a "mysterious" group of people flagged this post as "abusive" (or, as a Facebook employee tries to put it, it's a "mistake" of FB's algorithm which happened, because the word "boycott" in the comments section below the text in question triggered such) and FB banned it from being shared.

Shutterstock seems to get very desperate!  They cooked that soup, now they better east it!

I myself have only a very small portfolio (under 500) and nothing like some of you big boys but I feel what I do/have produced is good quality content , moving on I have disabled it, I didn't make much money but every little helps right? and I certainly will not be uploading anything new until something big changes here, this is totally unacceptable on their part. We were already all paid pennies in the grand scheme of things but 10 cents for an image are they serious!!! 

On 6/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, kallen1979 said:

So can anyone tell me how I disable my portfolio? To add to the pain of this new payment structure, the SS reviewers are back to doing weird things with their approvals of content. I'm pretty fed up with them.

kallen1979 - Hover over your name in the top right of your contributor home page. A menu will drop down, click on "Account Settings". Under the heading "Licensing Options", choose No for both Image sales and Footage sales. Within a few days, all of your content should be disabled.

Already I was able to convince artists doing book covers that shutterstock isn't the place to go any longer.  Unfair treatment of contributors, very good artists leaving ... they believe me, they buy their photos at other places now. This forum is for convincing other contributors to act. Other forums are for convincing buyers to act.

16 hours ago, Dmitry Pichugin said:

Shutterstock could ban them as a buyers, what's stopping them? They just don't care and they are satisfied with all possible schemes, even those that violate their rules. I wrote to SS more than once about this, nothing has ever changed. There are lot of sites in Russia which sells images from SS, all of them registered as a buyers and nothing fears.

Why would you ban Russian buyers? Russia is a strong market with many honest publishers that come as legal customers.  Russian illegal sellers are not worse than any other illegal sellers in western Europe.  The only difference is that their legal system doesn't seem to care about these issues.  

Italy is worse than Russia.  There is  an Italian web site, one of the most popular there, they copy images from the web and even have a warning at the bottom saying that they assume the iimages are free since they are on the web.  If you ask them to take them down, they will consider it.  That's not legal anywhere but Italians get away with it.  Here's the link:  www.dagospia.com

You are free to disable or leave your content on Shutterstock.. Just be aware that some customers if they want your content they will get it here or somewhere else.  It's up to you to decide if you want to spread the selling sites and offer cheap options or reduce your exposure and keep a decent price.

3 hours ago, gallofilm said:

Why would you ban Russian buyers? Russia is a strong market with many honest publishers that come as legal customers.  Russian illegal sellers are not worse than any other illegal sellers in western Europe.  The only difference is that their legal system doesn't seem to care about these issues.  

Italy is worse than Russia.  There is  an Italian web site, one of the most popular there, they copy images from the web and even have a warning at the bottom saying that they assume the iimages are free since they are on the web.  If you ask them to take them down, they will consider it.  That's not legal anywhere but Italians get away with it.  Here's the link:  www.dagospia.com

Why do you guys even bother arguing about who's worse? Cases of copyright infringement happen in each single country of the world. This isn't about where those people are  located, but about Shutterstock not protecting their contributors' work, although they (apparently) were notified more than once. Far too many operators of such websites get away with what they're doing - no matter where. Europe, Russia or the US.

Re the email some people are getting from Shutterstock - A customer has expressed interest in licensing the following removed image blah blah. How can this information be true when the person has disabled their portfolio, that means the images wouldnt be available for clients to see in Shutterstock for the person to show interest in an image? I dont get that part.. or is Shutterstock making the email contents up just to get you to enable your portfolio?

I understand if the file was selected and put into a lightbox, it is technically still for sale and SS has to honour it.

13 minutes ago, David Bostock said:

Re the email some people are getting from Shutterstock - A customer has expressed interest in licensing the following removed image blah blah. How can this information be true when the person has disabled their portfolio, that means the images wouldnt be available for clients to see in Shutterstock for the person to show interest in an image? I dont get that part.. or is Shutterstock making the email contents up just to get you to enable your portfolio?

38 minutes ago, AKaiser said:

Why do you guys even bother arguing about who's worse? Cases of copyright infringement happen in each single country of the world. This isn't about where those people are  located, but about Shutterstock not protecting their contributors' work, although they (apparently) were notified more than once. Far too many operators of such websites get away with what they're doing - no matter where. Europe, Russia or the US.

Exactly, not to mention that a year ago there was a map published where the most content was stolen instead of being bought. First place USA, then China. I'll post the link if I find it.