Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

I disabled 1500 images. I have a second account with almost 50,000 images. I will not deactivate it for the moment because it is one of my main sources of income. But, before June 1, I did not submit ALL of my images outside of Shutterstock. But now that Shutterstock does not respect these contributors more than certain other image banks, and that they no longer pay more than the others, I no longer hesitate to submit ALL my images everywhere!

38 minutes ago, Dan Hanscom said:

while i believe SS did a disservice to its contributors, the money earned is small anyway even before this change.

unfortunately, even though i am earning less on SS i still sell more pictures on this site than others.  it's still money and since SS does not have an exclusivity clause, i am already adding these pictures to 4 other sites. if i stop contributing here, there is no guarantee that i would see an increase of sales on the other sites. so adding pictures here does not take any additional time and there is a greater risk of stopping the additional income earned here, albeit how smaller it is. 

the stock photo world is so saturated anyway and any monies i earn  are used to buy additional photo equipment and supplies.  it is not my primary income nor will it ever be because of the saturation in the market.  each of us have to do what's best for our own situation.    

If someone got photo from Alamy he will have to pay similar money here for the same license, when I got here $100 you can only imagine how much customer had to pay for it. 

But if customer finds here your photo for cheap.. yes he will buy here but you are the reason that happen by uploading here the photo and than blaming saturated stock photo market makes no sence. And customer actualy cant buy your cheapper photo here because its not possible to buy single photo here without buying subscryption for multiple photos.

Everyone do what need to do but to make your decision right get to know the facts first. I saw growth here while my Adobe sales started to drop and I was earning there more than here. Logic action from me is stop uploading here as on Adobe i sell very similar photos and see in couple months how it will impact Adobe sales. Why you think like if you skip upload to SS now the photos will be gone and unable to upload here ever again. Do what you think but I won't give my photos here as Adobe pay me 36c for sub and subs aren't that popular there and here SS basicly lives on subs. Remember if buyer buy 750photos per month and downloads only 100 of yours you get 100x10c rest of subscription money goes to the SS. 

3 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

I saw growth here while my Adobe sales started to drop and I was earning there more than here.

We got that your Adobe sales have dropped, while SS have improved. No need to repeat it 72 times, because may seem you're trolling.

4 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

We got that your Adobe sales have dropped, while SS have improved. No need to repeat it 72 times, because may seem you're trolling.

I'm guessing you replying to the post I delated as accidently sent to you instead Dan Hanscom. And yes it's important detail that propobly will repeat many more times. So if you don't want to read it you are free to do so. 

4 hours ago, AleksandrMorrisovich said:

Only $ 50 this month, 132 purchases. And this is so far the only source of income for me.😟

Alexandr, 

did you try the platform Adobe? It looks like contributors pulling their content from SS and switch over to there. Better pay and sales are going strong up (for me at least).  Hope that helps you.

No artist should be taken advantage off with 10 cent sales. Only offer your products where they treat you right!

2 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

I'm guessing you replying to the post I delated as accidently sent to you instead Dan Hanscom. And yes it's important detail that propobly will repeat many more times. So if you don't want to read it you are free to do so. 

You wrote and delete your post at least 3 times, meanwhile distorting what i said. I never said that on SS customer pays 0.10, but that's how we get for most SS sales. So if you quote me in the future, make sure you understand what you've read. Wish you a great life and not to spam too much, it's distracting from the main topic 

Just now, Adam__K said:

You wrote and delete your post at least 3 times, meanwhile distorting what i said. I never said that on SS customer pays 0.10, but that's how we get for most SS sales. So if you quote me in the future, make sure you understand what you've read. Wish you a great life and not to spam too much, it's distracting from the main topic 

Chill dude i delated once as i thought your post is continution of his post, when i red it again i noticed my mistake.

Dont get so paranoid its bad for your health. 

1 minute ago, Holly Kuchera said:

I know, I know....

But an On Demand at Level 4 for 0.17? That's just insulting.

tenor.gif

There's no On Demand at Level 4 for that amount from my understanding. Here's an unofficial pay table I constructed based on publicly available package prices (for US buyer) and level percentages for photos/videos.

shutterstock_unofficial_pay.thumb.jpg.b0b2d8a3b73987261694b34b166d0439.jpg

6 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

There's no On Demand at Level 4 for that amount from my understanding. Here's an unofficial pay table I constructed based on publicly available package prices (for US buyer) and level percentages for photos/videos.

According to the variety of earnings reported, this table is not so reliable. 

However, this part seems to be correct for all levels:

IMG_20200617_162147.jpg

9 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Okay.....?

.17.jpg

Just now, stockphotofan1 said:

I would guess it is just a Subscription being miscategorized as an On Demand, but you would obviously need to Shutterstock about it and see what they tell you.

Did you?

A lot of miscategorizations lately, as well as lack of transparency and no ways to find out the real price of a sale... 

56 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

I would guess it is just a Subscription being miscategorized as an On Demand, but you would obviously need to Shutterstock about it and see what they tell you.

Did you?

Anyway, for the 72 USD you get per month from sales, you really look to know a lot about the market, about how SS works internally, what are the technical processes behind and possible bugs, and you did a great effort making all these tables with all the data, thanks for investing all your time and energy to help us with data that SS didn't officially share. Apart of the great portfolio. My most sincere compliments. 

8 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

I would guess it is just a Subscription being miscategorized as an On Demand, but you would obviously need to ask Shutterstock about it and see what they tell you.

Did you?

Not worth it. I've got bigger issues to deal with in my life right now... (Kind of the way I handle most things from SS...)

this is a cutting off all the contributors....

less and less money for the contributor... it's time to leave and go  for an other...

do you have an idea for me...??? 

I'm wondering if the earnings restructuring by Shutterstock, has hurt them in numbers of sales. Can it be that I stopped uploading after the announcement so fewer views in general,

as my number of sales has been cut in half, never mind the lower royalty of many 10 cent images. So is Shutterstock also getting less downloads as a whole??

Maybe this would cause them to back track on this somewhat. You try something, results not good you need to adjust, otherwise poor leadership for the contributors as well the stock holders!

37 minutes ago, Andrew F. Kazmierski said:

I'm wondering if the earnings restructuring by Shutterstock, has hurt them in numbers of sales. Can it be that I stopped uploading after the announcement so fewer views in general,

as my number of sales has been cut in half, never mind the lower royalty of many 10 cent images. So is Shutterstock also getting less downloads as a whole??

Maybe this would cause them to back track on this somewhat. You try something, results not good you need to adjust, otherwise poor leadership for the contributors as well the stock holders!

This will be seen in the next Earnings Call. This is a publicly traded company. All financial data is published here. https://investor.shutterstock.com/

I overall didn't even get that much money before this change, but I saw that it got better each month. Now though I get only 10 cents for each download and this is such a slap in the face for all the contributors. Especially when considering we do all the hard work, even adding the pesky description, title and keywords to each image. Why is Shutterstock taking so much from the contributors and now taking basically everything? They made tons of money with this system, even though they brag about the hundreds of millions of dollars given to contributors over the years. These are peanuts compared to what they earn by exploiting us, to say the truth. This is a mad world...