Jump to content
Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

When my agency has bought a 5 pack On Demand from shutterstock, they had to pay 16% more than the 5 pack On Demand at Adobe Stock. We only buy On Demand - no subscription packages.

At Shutterstock, the level 4 contributor was paid 5 x 2.85 US$ = 5 x 2.53 Euro. At Adobe Stock, the contributor was paid 5 x 3.30 euros.

23.4% less for the contributor at shutterstock with 16% more for the agency. That's how it was with the old model.

How it looks like with the new model doesn't interest me, because my agency will no longer buy images from Shutterstock.

So if you weren't already offering images at Adobe Stock, this would have been my tip as a buyer for better revenue. But you don't need that tip since you are already there.

 

So AS sells cheaper than SS, their 750 subs plan is also cheaper than SS and they do pay contributors more. As SS is publicly traded, we know they make little profit (20 mio out of 650 mio of sales) and for what I see in ad spending, AS should have a simialr cost structure. So promoting AS is really a good long term move as their image are cheaper? Or do people think that since Adobe bought Fotolia to complete their cloud offering, they don't care if they don't make profit on AS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AleksandrMorrisovich said:

Only $ 50 this month, 132 purchases. And this is so far the only source of income for me.ūüėü

Wouldn't it be better to turn it off here and increase your income on AS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely you must think photographers need you. Well, I don't. I would not put forth the effort to conceptualize, edit, and upload a quality image for one dime. The very people that make your business possible is the people you that you now screw. I'm all for big businesses making money but surely this is a slap in the face of photographic artists that have made your business possible. Congratulations and sleep well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last image sold on SS before deactivating my account: 0.10 USD

Same image sold today on Alamy, 228 USD. 

228000% difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam__K said:

Last image sold on SS before deactivating my account: 0.10 USD

Same image sold today on Alamy, 228 USD. 

228000% difference. 

Didnt know you can sell there for so much. my highest sale there is $71 and after Alamy distribution commission 30% and 40% Distributor commission i ended up with $28

And highest direct Alamy sale $60 after 60% commission $35

Do you got $228 after commissions or its what Alamy got before split ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

Didnt know you can sell there for so much. my highest sale there is $71 and after Alamy distribution commission 30% and 40% Distributor commission i ended up with $28

And highest direct Alamy sale $60 after 60% commission $35

Do you got $228 after commissions or its what Alamy got before split ?

Dear Przemek, 

With alamy i am on a 40-60 contract, direct sale. 

This means i get 91.20 USD for that photo. 

Still a 91200% compared to 0.10 of the same photo being sold on SS.

Sold that photo several time with alamy for serious money, even more times with ss but mostly at 0.38, lately fell to 0.10 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

Dear Przemek, 

With alamy i am on a 40-60 contract. 

This means i get 91.20 USD for that photo. 

Still a 91200% compared to 0.10 of the same photo being sold on SS.

Dear Adam,

Now it makes sense you cant compare subscription licence with one time use extended or whatever.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

Dear Przemek, 

With alamy i am on a 40-60 contract, direct sale. 

This means i get 91.20 USD for that photo. 

Still a 91200% compared to 0.10 of the same photo being sold on SS.

Sold that photo several time with alamy for serious money, even more times with ss but mostly at 0.38, lately fell to 0.10 

I still dont know how extended license works out on SS right know for me but before that was place i was getting highest commissions up to $100 per photo for everyone its different depending on content quality and quantity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Przemek Iciak said:

I still dont know how extended license works out on SS right know for me but before that was place i was getting highest commissions up to $100 per photo for everyone its different depending on content quality and quantity. 

In my case for 6 years 99% of the downloads were subscriptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Adam__K said:

And if your images would be available ONLY on other stock sites, you would earn even more, since you wouldn't be in concurrence with yourself with cheap SS photos on SS. We need to understand that 

while i believe SS did a disservice to its contributors, the money earned is small anyway even before this change.

unfortunately, even though i am earning less on SS i still sell more pictures on this site than others.  it's still money and since SS does not have an exclusivity clause, i am already adding these pictures to 4 other sites. if i stop contributing here, there is no guarantee that i would see an increase of sales on the other sites. so adding pictures here does not take any additional time and there is a greater risk of stopping the additional income earned here, albeit how smaller it is. 

the stock photo world is so saturated anyway and any monies i earn  are used to buy additional photo equipment and supplies.  it is not my primary income nor will it ever be because of the saturation in the market.  each of us have to do what's best for our own situation.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dan Hanscom said:

unfortunately, even though i am earning less on SS i still sell more pictures on this site than others. 

Me too. 

The point is that, if a customer finds s cheap photo of mine here (which will give me 0.10), this same customer will never buy the same photo for 228 on Alamy. 

So, staying on SS, i am concurring against myself and lowering the price of my images and potential downloads anywhere else. 

So the question is: am I ready to renounce to several 0.10 downloads that will deflate the value of my photos elsewhere? Anybody makes its calculations. I am ready, and already left. In the mid term we'll see if i was wrong. Anyway, in the worst scenario I'll have lost a few 0.10 downloads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This structure should definitely change !! I am reading the ones who deleted their galleries and closed their membership. It is not meant to deal with and work with the new wage structure. Shutterstock should listen to the thoughts of us members. Otherwise it will decline rapidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I disabled 1500 images. I have a second account with almost 50,000 images. I will not deactivate it for the moment because it is one of my main sources of income. But, before June 1, I did not submit ALL of my images outside of Shutterstock. But now that Shutterstock does not respect these contributors more than certain other image banks, and that they no longer pay more than the others, I no longer hesitate to submit ALL my images everywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dan Hanscom said:

while i believe SS did a disservice to its contributors, the money earned is small anyway even before this change.

unfortunately, even though i am earning less on SS i still sell more pictures on this site than others.  it's still money and since SS does not have an exclusivity clause, i am already adding these pictures to 4 other sites. if i stop contributing here, there is no guarantee that i would see an increase of sales on the other sites. so adding pictures here does not take any additional time and there is a greater risk of stopping the additional income earned here, albeit how smaller it is. 

the stock photo world is so saturated anyway and any monies i earn  are used to buy additional photo equipment and supplies.  it is not my primary income nor will it ever be because of the saturation in the market.  each of us have to do what's best for our own situation.    

If someone got photo from Alamy he will have to pay similar money here for the same license, when I got here $100 you can only imagine how much customer had to pay for it. 

But if customer finds here your photo for cheap.. yes he will buy here but you are the reason that happen by uploading here the photo and than blaming saturated stock photo market makes no sence. And customer actualy cant buy your cheapper photo here because its not possible to buy single photo here without buying subscryption for multiple photos.

Everyone do what need to do but to make your decision right get to know the facts first. I saw growth here while my Adobe sales started to drop and I was earning there more than here. Logic action from me is stop uploading here as on Adobe i sell very similar photos and see in couple months how it will impact Adobe sales. Why you think like if you skip upload to SS now the photos will be gone and unable to upload here ever again. Do what you think but I won't give my photos here as Adobe pay me 36c for sub and subs aren't that popular there and here SS basicly lives on subs. Remember if buyer buy 750photos per month and downloads only 100 of yours you get 100x10c rest of subscription money goes to the SS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

I saw growth here while my Adobe sales started to drop and I was earning there more than here.

We got that your Adobe sales have dropped, while SS have improved. No need to repeat it 72 times, because may seem you're trolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

We got that your Adobe sales have dropped, while SS have improved. No need to repeat it 72 times, because may seem you're trolling.

I'm guessing you replying to the post I delated as accidently sent to you instead Dan Hanscom. And yes it's important detail that propobly will repeat many more times. So if you don't want to read it you are free to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AleksandrMorrisovich said:

Only $ 50 this month, 132 purchases. And this is so far the only source of income for me.ūüėü

Alexandr, 

did you try the platform Adobe? It looks like contributors pulling their content from SS and switch over to there. Better pay and sales are going strong up (for me at least).  Hope that helps you.

No artist should be taken advantage off with 10 cent sales. Only offer your products where they treat you right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Przemek Iciak said:

I'm guessing you replying to the post I delated as accidently sent to you instead Dan Hanscom. And yes it's important detail that propobly will repeat many more times. So if you don't want to read it you are free to do so. 

You wrote and delete your post at least 3 times, meanwhile distorting what i said. I never said that on SS customer pays 0.10, but that's how we get for most SS sales. So if you quote me in the future, make sure you understand what you've read. Wish you a great life and not to spam too much, it's distracting from the main topic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adam__K said:

You wrote and delete your post at least 3 times, meanwhile distorting what i said. I never said that on SS customer pays 0.10, but that's how we get for most SS sales. So if you quote me in the future, make sure you understand what you've read. Wish you a great life and not to spam too much, it's distracting from the main topic 

Chill dude i delated once as i thought your post is continution of his post, when i red it again i noticed my mistake.

Dont get so paranoid its bad for your health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Holly Kuchera said:

I know, I know....

But an On Demand at Level 4 for 0.17? That's just insulting.

 

tenor.gif

 

There's no On Demand at Level 4 for that amount from my understanding. Here's an unofficial pay table I constructed based on publicly available package prices (for US buyer) and level percentages for photos/videos.

shutterstock_unofficial_pay.thumb.jpg.b0b2d8a3b73987261694b34b166d0439.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

 

There's no On Demand at Level 4 for that amount from my understanding. Here's an unofficial pay table I constructed based on publicly available package prices (for US buyer) and level percentages for photos/videos.

shutterstock_unofficial_pay.thumb.jpg.b0b2d8a3b73987261694b34b166d0439.jpg

According to the variety of earnings reported, this table is not so reliable. 

However, this part seems to be correct for all levels:

 

IMG_20200617_162147.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

 

There's no On Demand at Level 4 for that amount from my understanding. Here's an unofficial pay table I constructed based on publicly available package prices (for US buyer) and level percentages for photos/videos.

shutterstock_unofficial_pay.thumb.jpg.b0b2d8a3b73987261694b34b166d0439.jpg

Okay.....?

.17.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...