New earnings structure for Contributors

2 hours ago, wong yu liang said:

any ideas how much a contributor would be getting for a level 1 Sub photo download ? 

It will depend on the package the buyer has, worst case will be about 3 cents at 15% (level 1 sub) and 8 cents at 40% by my calculations (sub packages vary they wont all be that low). But there are special deals other than the normal subs, so presumably they could even fall to 1 cent. On Demand EL normal best case looks like about $11.50 at 15% and $25 at 40%, but again they also have special arrangements that could push that up higher. Oh, but level 6 is not going to be achievable for us mere mortals anyway.
Basically SS has followed IS down the rabbit hole and kicked us in the face on the way down by trumping with the annual reset. 
SS has reached a new low. But to be honest it's been coming for a long time. They have been creating the premium/elite sites and dumbing down the SS site. Personally I just think they are preparing for the day they turn it into a free site. Creaming off the best for the paid sites and leaving us to continue filling the catalogue, nibbling away at our earnings until there are none. We are dispensable, there are plenty more who will take our place if when we go. They have a plan, and it doesn't involve paying us more. Whatever they are doing it must be benefiting them or they wouldn't be doing it. Just shows what they really think of us though. Shame, especially now, when people are going out of their way to help others in a terrible time of crisis, and SS dump this on us without a care. I know for some this will be a main income and be totally devastating. If that's you I am so sorry they are doing this to you. :( I'm sorry for us all :( 
Rant over...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Karl_Sonnenberg said:

Shutterstock gave its contributors five days notice... took me three minutes to opt out of all sales after reading this announcement. 

tone-deaf adjective

\ ˈtōn-ˌdef

1: relatively insensitive to differences in musical pitch

2: having or showing an obtuse insensitivity or lack of perception particularly in matters of public sentiment, opinion, or taste

3: used in most sentences now that include the noun Shutterstock

Good one...tone deaf and #3. How do you opt out of all sales?

Are there any people here who at least earn a few thousand a year? If a few 100 or even a 1000 of us quit, the SS will loose thousands of clips and maybe a few million in revenue. Will it hurt the SS? I don’t know. My gut feeling is saying that this ship is sinking. And for now 60% and setting my own price never looked more attractive. Think about it. This is not greed. This is desperation. P5 and adobe work together. All other stock agencies earn pocket money. SS was the only reason not to go exclusive. And it’s time to start up your own shop and we need to set up an overarching start page site to sign up our individual stock shops so we will be easily found. Only by doing this we can take back control and force stock agencies to offer fair commissions. Our own stock creator union.

I believe Laurin had the answer to all this years ago, without "US" Shutterstock and all the other stock sites are "NOTHING".

"WE" provide the images, "WE" own the copyright,

The "ONLY" way to stop this and protect our income is to Disable our portfolios,

This is the only way they will listen, it's no good just moaning about it for a few days and then carry on as normal.

We HAVE  to stand together, it's the only way.

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/How-do-I-deactivatedelete-my-contributor-account

1 minute ago, Sharon Day said:

How do you opt out of all sales?

Go to your dashboard page, and under your name in the upper right corner you'll find a link for account settings.  Click it, and on the lower right portion of that page, under licensing options, do this:

2020-05-26_13-47-24.thumb.jpg.3b184d052ef16a6ddc3702db097aec8a.jpg

Just now, photosis said:

The big question is, what kind of subscription customer that download my images have?

If they all have 10 to 50 images a month, earning will be higher

if they all have > 350 images a month, earnings a going to be bad

Also, everyone here is solely focused on the subs. What about ODDs and SODs? It is possible that things might just even out. Shutterstock would have been well advised to create and post the kind of pricing lists that fellow contributors are now creating.

For instance, ODD packages sell images for between $9.16 and $14.50. At level 1 we'll all get hosed, but once you make it to level 4 the cheap ODDs would be close to what they bring now, and you could get as much as $4.35 for an ODD.

On the footage side, there will be substantial loss of income for sure though.

Realistically, none of us will know how this affects us personally until we wait it out for a month and see. We can always pull our ports on June 30 if it doesn't work out.

Hi, shutterstock!

You talk about  the equality of all contributors, but the truth is that all contributors will suffer losses. The entry threshold will increase at times, and the old contributors will go to your more successful competitors. Depositphotos has already gone this way.
If you can still find a compromise with the new income scale, then with an annual zero level it is just a scam.
I am very disappointed and will redefine loading priorities right up to portfolio freezing.

1 minute ago, Milo J said:

Also, everyone here is solely focused on the subs. What about ODDs and SODs? It is possible that things might just even out. Shutterstock would have been well advised to create and post the kind of pricing lists that fellow contributors are now creating.

For instance, ODD packages sell images for between $9.16 and $14.50. At level 1 we'll all get hosed, but once you make it to level 4 the cheap ODDs would be close to what they bring now, and you could get as much as $4.35 for an ODD.

On the footage side, there will be substantial loss of income for sure though.

Realistically, none of us will know how this affects us personally until we wait it out for a month and see. We can always pull our ports on June 30 if it doesn't work out.

Regardless, you'll start the year making pennies.

8 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

It will depend on the package the buyer has, worst case will be about 3 cents at 15% (level 1 sub) and 8 cents at 40% by my calculations (sub packages vary they wont all be that low). But there are special deals other than the normal subs, so presumably they could even fall to 1 cent. On Demand EL normal best case looks like about $11.50 at 15% and $25 at 40%, but again they also have special arrangements that could push that up higher. Oh, but level 6 is not going to be achievable for us mere mortals anyway.
Basically SS has followed IS down the rabbit hole and kicked us in the face on the way down by trumping with the annual reset. 
SS has reached a new low. But to be honest it's been coming for a long time. They have been creating the premium/elite sites and dumbing down the SS site. Personally I just think they are preparing for the day they turn it into a free site. Creaming off the best for the paid sites and leaving us to continue filling the catalogue, nibbling away at our earnings until there are none. We are dispensable, there are plenty more who will take our place if when we go. They have a plan, and it doesn't involve paying us more. Whatever they are doing it must be benefiting them or they wouldn't be doing it. Just shows what they really think of us though. Shame, especially now, when people are going out of their way to help others in a terrible time of crisis, and SS dump this on us without a care. I know for some this will be a main income and be totally devastating. If that's you I am so sorry they are doing this to you. :( I'm sorry for us all :( 
Rant over...

totally agree but now Shutterstock says i can't like any other posts, so have to send you this.  Well said

5 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Also, everyone here is solely focused on the subs. What about ODDs and SODs? It is possible that things might just even out.

Even out? I want GROWTH, but every stock agency is making any growth impossible if they all keep racing to the bottom.

How in the world do we survive dwindling sales if our own agencies screw us over every once in a while? Just when you think you're floating towards shore, they just push you back out to sea to drown.

All I'm asking is a steady revenue with some growth, but Shutterstock is like your annoying big brother trampling all over your sandcastle.