New earnings structure for Contributors

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Yaorusheng said:

how can you get  these data? It looks more and more contributors are leaving here? So sad

They are not necessarily leaving (yet). They could have de-activated their accounts temporarily (like I did) to send a message to management that pushing this new pricing plan through is going down the road of self-destruction.

Hello.

After 2 weeks RPD goes down approximately for 25% (Level 5 images (almost 6), level 1 video). Other projects from other industries becomes more&more interesting 10 cents per download do not satisfy me, especially in case of the invariant prices for subscription package, i.e. the SS just trying to decrease his costs just buy cutting contributor's "salary". I've already disable my video and I'll stop to upload new vector content. Propably this month on Adobe will be better than on SS for the first time (in May SS was only 15% better). Moreover, last years SS becomes worse and worse in case of sorting algorithms. Few years ago new uploads usually starts to sale from the beginning, nowadays they starts to sale after a huge delay and has to float from bottom. I do not want to sell my pictures for 10 cents. SS, If you want new downloads please invite a button where contributor can chose the lowest price of download or can disable subscrition sales. I'll take a look for few weeks, If nothing happens I'll start to cut a part of portfolio of  disable it fully.  

P.S. ~13k portfolio (predominantely vector, photos & video)

5 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

I actually think that for somebody who uploads ultra high volume with absolutely minimal costs, the new structure really works. There is also some other person berating us for leaving, but he also just has 20 000 files of walk around low quality snap shots.

They should just have the grace to leave us alone. After all, if we turn off ports, they have less competition and can sell much more :)

If anyone in management thinks these posters can convince one single person to start uploading again, they have absolutely no clue how a highly specialized plattform for digital  media works.

All these agencies were started as exchanges for graphic designers and media producers, to swap content easily for their day job client work. And even after 15 years the active buyer/producer base is very small. 

„Normal people“ don‘t source from stock sites, they steal from the internet or go to free sites.

It is the buyer/producer community of maybe 30-80 000 really active people worldwide, that decides together which platform to support.

And a company where the managers go into hiding and are completly incapable of real life online communication...what kind of a future does such a place hold?

I still love the SS interface and app, but I have to be convinced that HQ understands the media market.

Insulting the loyal producers with this silly hamster wheel strategy is a direct attack on the buyers.

This is not ebay or facebook or any other plattform for the general public. Only highly trained people with experience understand the needs of the customers will be able to generate the really needed content. And they are leaving in droves.

So...back to uploading elsewhere, while waiting with little confidence for an improvement from Shutterstock. 

Very well said, Jasmin! Shutterstock seems not to understand that many people who upload are their customer
as well, or they are well connected to the customer. Shutterstock will have a short term profit coupled with a long term decline, if they don't fix their mistake. 

Interesting to know that the original founder of Shutterstock (Jon Oringer) left his CEO position one month before the announcement of this change. Seems that he did not agree with this. 

37 minutes ago, Yaorusheng said:

how can you get  these data? It looks more and more contributors are leaving here? So sad

Yaorusheng, you can see on shutterstock how much content is available by clicking the search without adding a "Search word".

Also, somebody provided a link to a Excel File that updates every hour. This will pull the data for you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sx80IDLCr0-1_ie1a17Rtm4m9fgUwglaxHdyNy2lDCc/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR30BmNy63U-_eFV6Bx7fciXMxWRqRZlGtS9jSKs-uUKp-GxV64qOGDpa1E#

19 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

Yaorusheng, you can see on shutterstock how much content is available by clicking the search without adding a "Search word".

Also, somebody provided a link to a Excel File that updates every hour. This will pull the data for you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sx80IDLCr0-1_ie1a17Rtm4m9fgUwglaxHdyNy2lDCc/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR30BmNy63U-_eFV6Bx7fciXMxWRqRZlGtS9jSKs-uUKp-GxV64qOGDpa1E#

No matter how much new uploads, they are losing more than 100.000 items per hour. 

That's a brilliant result. 

And in all this content that is lost, there's a lot of things that customers are looking for and will not find anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

No matter how much new uploads, they are losing more than 100.000 items per hour. 

That's a brilliant result. 

And in all this content that is lost, there's a lot of things that customers are looking for and will not find anymore. 

let's see what happen by end of this month if SS not take any action.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:51 AM, Przemek Iciak said:

My earnings dipped 60% with couple % increase of  downloads compering to last 5 months. But i didnt sell any extended licenses yet witch is odd as i sell few every month. Could be a just a bad month. But if old model would be still on i would have around 20% more of earnings. Im level 5 and if i wont deactivate my port will be level 6 next month...

BUT i dont see reason to upload anymore to SS as i earn couple times more on Adobe for the same photos. And January is for me braking point, till then if i see increase in downloads on the other sites there is no reason to stay here and give my work basically for free.

Everyone's situation is different, im right now between jobs and need every $ i can get. If not this i would delete my port first day after changes and wouldn't be on this forum even once.

Still hoping to get some decent sales this month. 

BTW i could use couple of tips from buyer haha. Stock photography isnt Shutterstock only and I would be happy to use those tips for my improvement.

Thomas will reply again with the answer that black is actually white based on his 'mathematical models'.

11 minutes ago, Dan Hanscom said:

three sales today so far and if this were normal times, i would  have made .99 for all three, instead i earned .35 total.  so far this new earnings structure is not benefiting me.  pretty sad.  at least i am earning more on other stock sites.    

And if your images would be available ONLY on other stock sites, you would earn even more, since you wouldn't be in concurrence with yourself with cheap SS photos on SS. We need to understand that 

16 minutes ago, Dan Hanscom said:

three sales today so far and if this were normal times, i would  have made .99 for all three, instead i earned .35 total.  so far this new earnings structure is not benefiting me.  pretty sad.  at least i am earning more on other stock sites.    

So help me understand why do you still support Shuterstock? 

1 hour ago, eskystudio said:

There were numerous reports here and on social networks that SS offered higher rates to some contributors. I'm starting to think he is one if them and returns the favor by trolling in this forum.

That sounds very realistic also because the trolls supporting SS were insisting about their improved earnings, but at the same time refusing to show their earnings breakdown. 

Me too, I will leave.

Actually I've never been happy with Shutterstock but... this is certainly too much of an abuse so I'll stop sending my work  to these exploitative people.

Can it be worse? Hardly. But no, I will not wait to confirm it. I think I prefer to escape before the total crash.

I'm sure there will be other ways... Smarter people that will really value all the effort behind each image.

Adios

49 minutes ago, Adam__K said:

And if your images would be available ONLY on other stock sites, you would earn even more, since you wouldn't be in concurrence with yourself with cheap SS photos on SS. We need to understand that 

Bull's eye..I wouldn't say it better!!

1 hour ago, Adam__K said:

Apparently my performance on AS was tied directly to my SS contributions. The same day my SS deactivation took effect, my AS earnings (which were better than SS) nearly disappeared and haven't recovered.

1 minute ago, GregDPhotos said:

Apparently my performance on AS was tied directly to my SS contributions. The same day my SS deactivation took effect, my AS earnings (which were better than SS) nearly disappeared and haven't recovered.

My sales in June are awful everywhere. 

But, you have to look it long term. 

In my case, I have the least downloads on Alamy. Some photos sell just once in two years, but with a revenue over 220 USD each. This is like 2200 SS downloads on SS.

What I say, if I sell on SS where customer can buy the same photo for 9 dollars, it is unlikely that this photo will be sold on Alamy. But if there's no such content on SS, customer that wants it will need to pay much higher on Alamy (and I will get more than making concurrence to myself selling also on SS).