Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

19 minutes ago, Bruno Ismael Silva Alves said:

This is a joke! 😡 I have 3641 photos in my account, if shutterstock continue with these ideas I´m out deleting all my files, let's stay together don´t submit any more photos until they cancel this announcement. We all are the fuel of this site, to everyone please stop submitting more photos and videos.

I absolutely agree with you man, this is a robbery and we all shall stand our ground!

With this new earnings structure no one wins except shutterstock. Even agencies will loose big money in first month or two. There is rediculously low % of contributors that sell more than 25.000 images per year. So the bigest agencies will loose big money too. 

Read:

Up to 100     YOU LOOSE 62,5% of your earnings

100-250       YOU LOOSE 50% of your earnings

251-500       YOU LOOSE 37,5% of your earnings

501-2500     YOU LOOSE 25%  of your earnings

2501-25000 YOU LOOSE  12,5%  of your earnings

And those few who sell more than 25000 images per year will reach a point where they will be selling at price on current level.

Selling any work at price 0,10$ is not acceptable and IT IS OUR DUTY TO TELL agencies like SS that that will not work.

If SS succeeds other will follow!

I will dissable my video account on june 1st and my photos on January 1st

Theft!

33 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

i think SS is trying to Flatten the curve....  Yet again they misunderstand the real world.  

I think Shutterstock is confusing its curve with that of the Covid-19 and is trying to reach point 0 (zero).

Don’t expect any reply from Shutterstock. All they do is post this crap so that they can say they told their contributors and then they just run and hide and laugh at how upset the contributors get over this and never reply! They don’t care about us contributors or the work we produce. They just want more money for themselves and don’t care what we think or how it affects us. I bet all the employees especially those on the "board" still get their raises every year, this year they are getting their raises and bonuses from the contributors pockets. They will learn in the long run that their business failed because they did not treat the contributors and creators of the content well. They need to show that they value the contributors and creators while they still have the chance. Pond5 and Adobe will be overtaking them quickly if they do not fix this stupid plan!

How will you sell media when you don’t have any new content from contributors because we stopped uploading to Shutterstock??? THINK!! . Your plan is ridiculously stupid!!

There is no doubt that this will reduce revenue for contributors. But knowing the management of these kind of companies, I believe that they do not want to kill their own business, but to increase their profits a little. I think that, based on the business results and the sales structure of previous years, they calculated in detail how much they will pay less to contributors on average and leave more $$$ to themselves, and that it will not be more than 10 to 15 percent. If the drop was 50 percent, why would anyone continue with this? They are greedy, not stupid.

Level 5 on video sales should start at 1,001 sales to make it fair.  Otherwise almost nobody makes it to Level 5.  It's just a money grab by ShutterStock to make sure almost nobody will make more than what they are making now.  We'll all lose around $500 for the lower than now royalty rate on Level 1-3.

I worked with SS for more than 10 years and have 10000+ photos/videos. Before I can get 0.38/1 for the subscription. But now, with one stupid email, I need to have 25000 downloading to get the same earnings. This is insane! In this tough year, everyone is not easy, SS just made my life harder. Do you still remember how GI and DT die just a couple of years before? I'll never load any new photos/videos to SS except SS can increase at least 5% for each photo/video tier. 

Kate Shutterstock, I must say you have the worst job of all of us. I could not motivate myself to get out of bed in the morning when my job was to announce the fact thay you are basically wiping the floor with the contributors with these cynic words: 

help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential

I have been a contributor for shutterstock for more then a decade. It was some early adopters all non professionals like me who all together made shutterstock big in the early phase. I assure you when I see the first download for less then 0.30 $ of my material my portfolio is gone! 

1 minute ago, Samo Trebizan said:

And those few who sell more than 25000 images per year will reach a point where they will be selling at price on current level.

Keep in mind, that on January 1st everyone's sales numbers are reset and even big guys will have to work several months to get their higher rates back. Basically, for the first few months of each year we all will be paid 10 cents.

you are destroying people lives.

I am in tears right now...

We are making this adjustment in order to ... help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.“ lies. Lies. Lies.

10 years with SS, it was the best agency in the business. So sad to see that they decided to treat their contributors like that...

I'm definetely going to disable my portfolio. I don't think they will listen, but it's just disrepectful.

I am contributor over the 8(2 years not active) years and in that time I uploaded over 12k images! In period of 2 years of non activity my sales drop for 80% and now this thing! Shutterstock need to know they are nothing without us and to treat like this people who with hard work make this imperial. I planned to start with uploading again but after this, they can forgot on my images! This is so stupid!!!

What is the incentive for new contributors? I only have 200 images and 34 downloads ... Why should I send more images earning 10c or 15% in other sales, trying to level up, and at the beginning of the year go back to level 1

@Kate Shutterstock What about different currencies?

Costumer in EU pay 199EUR for 750 pictures / month which is 218,72USD right now

Cosutmer in US pay 249USD for 750 pictures / month

Is this taken into account?

Other question: Will there be a detailed report of what subsciption each sell has?

Thank you very much, but not amused about that change,

Better would be one percentage for everyone. Then in wouldn't matter about he size of someones portofolio, just about the quality of the each single pictures. If it is good, it sells, otherwise it simply doesn't.

I don't think there is much that administrators can say about such a shocking pay cut. The only thing that will change minds here is account deletion - or a limited number of photos deletion. Certainly if payment does drop this drastically people will consider such a move. There is no other industry I know of where pay per hour is so bad. Most people do stock because they love photography and when they feel they are being ripped off they stop.