Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

20 hours ago, Maxal Tamor said:

The question is: Is a troll a person?…

Thomas is not exactly a troll but rather 'troll by association'. He quotes existing trolls and supports them.

I placed him on the ignored list as well.

6 hours ago, Adam__K said:

They also said our sales will be rewarded for freshness and quality, but the only one that has increase income from sales is your portfolio whose quality is not exactly amongst top 100.000 contributors. 

Anyway, why to believe them? Do you trust a company that unívocally makes so drastic changes (meanwhile spending money on trolls) and communicates them last minute? Are you really sure they're not going to change it for worst in just s few months again?

Adam, stockphotofan1 is a known troll. You can place him on the ignored lit as lots of other forum users did. You can hover over his forum icon and choose 'Ignore user'.

The best way to stop trolls is to deprive them of conversations.

17 minutes ago, Yana Lesnik said:

'We have watched the events of the last few weeks unfold with a pit in our stomachs. We are outraged by the horrific deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbrey. These are a few names in a long line of Black Americans who have suffered and died at the hands of systemic racism.' - Shutterstock

- So double faced...!

What surprises you? Shutterstock appropriated not only the right to manage our money, but also took the exclusive right to express sympathy for the black people.

1 hour ago, eskystudio said:

stockphotofan1 is a known troll, a lot of people placed him on the ignored list and you can too, just hover over his forum icon and choose 'Ignore User'. You won't see his messages again 

The best thing to stop a troll is to deprive him of conversations.

You are exactly right. Thank you for the info.

SS MUST REALIZE WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER

We are CO-DEPENDENT.

We NEED EACHOTHER.

Therefore

We should NOURISH ONE ANOTHER.

If not, we will PERISH TOGETHER.

WAKE UP AND REVERSE THIS ROAD TO SELF-DESTRUCTION

Yes, two weeks was enough to understand: the management of the office (first of all, their 'magical' Stan) really destroys the entire system.
They had different options to reduce payments for authors. For example, Shutterstock could do this almost imperceptibly, in several stages. Or he could push quarrel people with each other, using different conditions of cooperation. Or, finally, Shutterstock could halve all the earnings - cruelly, but honestly.
But. Shutterstock's bosses behave so deceitfully and unprofessionally that they angered everyone: beginners, experienced ones, singles, studio participants, hobbies and full timers. No “laws of the market" or "interests of capital" can explain this.
Either headless amateurs or ... vile and cold-blooded liquidators of the business act by such methods.

Sadly, Shutterstock has become an image sweatshop. 10 cents an image?! Sweatshop wages. I've been observing my earnings under the new system for the past two weeks and it's clear that I will not be a winner under the new system (Level 4). My port is dead. Financially, it's unviable for me to continue to supply SS images for 10 cents. Ethically, I cannot support the system of sweatshops. I will no longer upload here and will disable my port on the 15th. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 12.56.26 PM.png

Sad thing is we have made Shutterstock into what they are today and they have become completely arrogant and lost track of how and why the company started. They are ignoring everyone's outcry in the hope it will go away.

I am pretty sure they have even disabled comments on their Instagram account.  So let's keep making noise where we can.

I am not going to disable my account just yet, but I will no longer  upload to Shutterstock and i am deleting any images from my account that i now consider too good for Shutterstock's payment schedule. 

Como cualquier persona sensata que ve cómo sus ganancias van recortándose estoy enojado, leo y leo los mismos enojos de todos (casi todos), bien, pero cuál es la alternativa?

Yo propuse una que no ha tenido ningún comentario.

Sintetizando,

1. Salir de esta mazmorra,

2. montar una cooperativa de socios,

3. ofrecer nuestras fotos (las que se venden) como exclusiva y otra cartera (muy económica para compradores) del resto de nuestros trabajos.

La verdad es que creo que sin capitalistas que gobiernen la empresa obtendremos muchas más ganancias y sobre todo el trabajo que vendemos bien sería altamente recompensado porque no estaría en ningún otro sitio, (exclusiva).

Yo aporto esta idea que ya la llevé a cabo hace muchos años cuando trabajaba de mensajero y nos fuimos, nos llevamos a los clientes, montamos nuestra cooperativa y ganamos mucho más. todos socios, ningún jefe.

Bueno, a ver qué opiniones hay, porque llevo varios días leyendo quejas pero nadie aporta una solución plausible.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:54 PM, Boris Stroujko said:

Made 15 dollars there in the last 4 years.

You know, I wasn't sure how long they had been around.

I swapped my site to them, because cost of using one of the better portfolio sites like photodeck wasn't making much sense for me.

It's fine for that purpose - but I was wondering if I'd ever see a sale. 

Am starting to find it's limited management interface rather frustrating in comparison to photodeck though, where I could manage everything through lightroom.

On topic - my images here still disabled. Not sure I will ever re-enable them. It's obvious SS don't care. No comms, no indication of any sort they will relent.

I only hope that more and more remove their images - if images here dry up, people will shop somewhere else.

I just wish Adobe would make managing images and keywords a LOT better - I hate their system.

I was thinking about this topic this morning and I thought of a comparison.

Think about a salesman for Company X.  Let us just say, the salesman makes a commission of 10%. Why doesn't he make 40%?  Because he didn't engineer the product, manufacture the product or repair (edit) the product.  Company X makes the biggest chunk of the revenue, because they are engineering, making, and doing company level marketing)

Now, let's take what we do.  We engineer the product (design).  We produce the product (take photo, video etc).  We repair the product (remove noise etc).  So why do we make .10 cents and image while companies like shutterstock make the vast majority of the profit. Not only that, but to be ultra competitive, they expect us to do our fair share of marketing by sharing on social media, paying for additional advertising (on Facebook etc).  I read this in a recent article, so it is factual.  In essence, they are selling the product at a 90% (just an example, would vary) profit.

This is not a perfect comparison, because they have overhead in web servers, advertising other support personnel, but I think the point is still make that we are getting far too little and have been for at least 15 years.  

I think a fair commission is always in the 30 to 50 percent range. Anything else is just bad management, marketing or thievery.  And let me just state definitively that I understand how much overhead they have.  A good start would be moving most of the workers out of NYC which has a very high standard of living. Then, they need to go in and remove all the snapshots from the database that no one will ever buy, but stupid reviewers let through because they had technical sharpness and exposure.

16 minutes ago, Matt Cuda said:

I was thinking about this topic this morning and I thought of a comparison.

Think about a salesman for Company X.  Let us just say, the salesman makes a commission of 10%. Why doesn't he make 40%?  Because he didn't engineer the product, manufacture the product or repair (edit) the product.  Company X makes the biggest chunk of the revenue, because they are engineering, making, and doing company level marketing)

Alas, most of the time the manufacturers get the smallest bit.

33 minutes ago, Matt Cuda said:

I think a fair commission is always in the 30 to 50 percent range.

I basically think so too. 
But unfortunately it's different, not only with SS.
In SS it is now especially well visible and even a bit worse than in the others. 
The reason is in front of the keyboard. 
All of us (including myself) were and are willing to sell at these prices. 
However, there seems to be something like a lower limit of shame, which SS has now fallen below out of sheer greed. 

19 minutes ago, Matt Cuda said:

Now, let's take what we do.  We engineer the product (design).  We produce the product (take photo, video etc).  We repair the product (remove noise etc).  So why do we make .10 cents and image while companies like shutterstock make the vast majority of the profit. Not only that, but to be ultra competitive, they expect us to do our fair share of marketing by sharing on social media, paying for additional advertising (on Facebook etc).  I read this in a recent article, so it is factual.  In essence, they are selling the product at a 90% (just an example, would vary) profit.

No, they are not taking 90% of our photos. They actually pay 40% to a Level 5 contributor and therefore take 60%. (They stated 35% for Level 5, but in reality, because of the minimum 10 cents payout, which makes up to 45% of selling price of 22 cents, it's higher. I omit the not used up packages issue here...)

The question is, what did they pay us before? 70%? 50%? The same 30-40% as now? (I personally think it's the last).

They are just hiding. Bad politic. Why not to come out and explain their calculations..

3 hours ago, InkheartX said:

Income is a little lower than before, but still in the normal range.3822562.thumb.jpg.082f22b2adc6c46908b803f544b7ee57.jpg

You have a very commercial port (as long as covid lasts) but if this were true, you would never want to come to SS.

6 hours ago, fullempty said:

Hello

I disabled my SS portfolio (6000) on June 3.

Curiously, I sell a little bit more now on Dreamstime (2.2/photo) where I ordinary sell very few images.

What for you ?

Have a good day

I see more sales on other platforms as well. 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mirko Rosenau said:

How do I deactivate/delete my contributor account?

We provide the options below to deactivate/delete your contributor account:

Opting out of sales (recommended option)
Opting out of sales will remove your content from online display, but keeps your account active and ensures that your earnings payment will be made when you reach the minimum payout level. Your referral earnings will also continue to accumulate. Opting in or out of sales allows you to quickly reinstate your previously approved content if you decide to return to Shutterstock in the future.

To opt out of sales, log into your account and navigate to the Account Settings page from the drop-down menu under your name in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the section How can we license your work? and select No for the sales options.

Deleting your account
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. You can immediately change your profile here or request a deletion of your personal information from our privacy team - Privacy@shutterstock.com. Deleting your account will permanently remove your content from online display, bar access to your account and participation in our forums. You can find detailed information on our Privacy Policy.