Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

No respect / appreciation for the hard work of our employees who have been active for years. If it stays that way, I'll stop because I'd rather give my photos away for free than keep shutterstock successful while we don't get any appreciation

1 hour ago, Maxal Tamor said:

The question is: Is a troll a person?…

Agree, even is, SS dehumanized contributors and contributors should dehumanize them. After all, stealing one's last income to feed salary of 600-800 thousands dollar employees and send payroll trolls on forum for damage control isn't a human deed.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, Forum Moderation Team said:

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions. 

My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct?

Apologies. The email to video contributors contained an error, and a corrected email is forthcoming. The Level breakdown above is the correct one (Level 2 starts after your 10th video download).

---

So I'm currently in level one. Instead of getting $0.25 per download, what am I going to get now?

We are moving to a percentage based earnings model for all licensing plans. The amount contributors earn from each download is a percentage of the price paid by the customer for that license. 

This means your commission will always be a percent of what the customer paid for their license. The flat rate commissions (like 25¢) are going away.

---

At the beginning of each year we move to LEVEL 1? So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

Correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

----

What about subscriptions? Will those earnings be calculated as a percentage, too? Will I see earnings of less than a cent?!

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

---

If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

---

How much do I earn if a customer downloads my content during a “free trial”?

When a customer downloads your image as part of a free trial, your commission is based on your earnings level, as with all other downloads. The price per asset we use to calculate your earning depends on the package or promotion the customer is using, but your commission will not be lower than 10¢.

Free Images of the Month are negotiated separately, and if your images are part of that promotion, you will be contacted by our team.

@Kate Shutterstock Still no clarification on Exchange rate used

I predict the future 🔮
Shutterstock collects maximum angry messages in this thread and then delete it.

You lose respect every day of ignoring.

_03_meme.jpg

I have been a contributor here since 2012. SS inspired me to start and continue to create stock content. And they were the top income agency for me. I even started advertising them strongly on my website. But this is the last drop. I am now level 3 contributor and I get 0.10$ for sub download?!? What happens in the beginning of the next year when I start from level 1.... 0.02$. Are you kidding me SS?!?!? Nothing can justify this. Who can be profitable with this kind of commission? You need to get hundreds of downloads just to cover the expenses for a simple custom photo.

I am starting to think that SS thought..... we have enough content. Why do we need more? No need. Lets stop contributors from uploading, but not tell them directly.

I am deleting my portfolio as soon as I reach a payout threshold and get my money that I earned so far. Bye Bye SS.

11 minutes ago, nikolay100 said:

What happens in the beginning of the next year when I start from level 1.... 0.02$.

Can you share how you came up with $.02? They clearly said the minimum payment for any level is $.10.

HAY QUE TRABAJAR EL TRIPLE PARA OBTENER LOS MISMOS INGRESOS, ESO ES LO JUSTO PARA SS

At the beginning of each year we move to LEVEL 1? So in the beginning of each year we will all be earning 15%? 

Correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

If you want to create fair opportunities for the contributors, reward the contributors on their consistency with a 12 month average. Don't focus the reward based on the content performing well only at the current time and cut their valued retention. Because the quality of the content is based upon the acquired experience of a contributor and ability to connect his created content with the customers and this is not something that can be negotiated or taken away from someone that contributes and earns you a value 1,5x or 2x times above what they receive.

If a customer buys a pack or sub, but doesn’t use it all, how are my earnings calculated?

When a customer buys a pack or subscription, your commission is calculated based on the price per asset assuming full usage of the pack or subscription. For example, if a customer buys a 10 images per month subscription at $49 per month, the price per image is $4.90. Your earnings percentage is based on $4.90 regardless of how many images the customer downloads from their allotment. 

Another unfair part. Since you chose to pay a percentage, pay a percentage of the ACTUAL price that each image was sold. If a client paid 2000$ only to purchase 1 image and then forget about Shutterstock, the contributor should be paid their % from the total sum used for their image to be bought. This is considered added value. Why should only Shutterstock be gaining in that situation?

In general

I've reported that my RPD has not been affected all that much by the new system and is moving on similar levels as before. But some of the reasoning behind your current plan is deeply flawed. The previous deal was that contributors would earn a high minimum, exactly because customers were not using their subscription plans in full. Did you see that change? Ok, discuss with the contributors about it. But don't just play the dictator card. This is not in the values that helped Shutterstock grow and be number 1 all these years.

46 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Can you share how you came up with $.02? They clearly said the minimum payment for any level is $.10.

A month ago minimum was clearly $0.25 so I think it's just a matter of announcement one week before and $0.02 will be valid from 01.01.2021 or any other date. What really bothers me, if it is possible to pay less than $0.01, like $0.005. Does anyone know if it is allowed to sell something below 1 cent in USA?

18 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

"Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time."

Yes, Thomas. Thais has nothing to do with "fair"!

This downgrading to level 1 has indeed nothing to do with "fresh" or "in demand" content. It is solely about shutterstock earning more money without letting the contributors participate.

Just one example:

I have an image with more than 6500 downloads. It sells every day. And has been in the database for years. So it's not "fresh" at all. But it still seems to be "in demand". Nevertheless it brings shutterstock money - every day. This picture has the same value for shutterstock on 01. January as on 01. June or 01. December. But for me, who took it, it suddenly has less value. It will still be bought every day (as long as the algorithm is not changed). So Shutterstock earns money on it every day. But at the beginning of the year, I simply get even less from it than I already do since the new revenue structure.

The shutterstock argumentation is rhetorical fraud - nothing else! Theft!

Whoever believes that this has something to do with "fairness" is totally wrong!

I can nothing but agree with that. Well said, Wilm!

3 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Can you tell me, please, why are you trying so hard to prove that #boycottshutterstock is a wrong thing? I don't even mean your disputes here but all those posts of yours on Twitter. I can understand why people who against the SS changes are posting about it, it's because they're disappointed and would like to cancel the changes. But what drives you? You definitely win if some of the contributors leave. And you understand that SS won't cancel the changes anyway. So what is the real reason of your endeavors?

I earned less than half of the amount I will earn today compared to the old system. fortunately adobe has started accepting my stock images. now I will upload it there and look at the sales and earnings rates.

19 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

"Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time."

Yes, Thomas. This has nothing to do with "fair"!

This downgrading to level 1 has indeed nothing to do with "fresh" or "in demand" content. It is solely about shutterstock earning more money without letting the contributors participate.

Just one example:

I have an image with more than 6500 downloads. It sells every day. And has been in the database for years. So it's not "fresh" at all. But it still seems to be "in demand". Nevertheless it brings shutterstock money - every day. This picture has the same value for shutterstock on 01. January as on 01. June or 01. December. But for me, who took it, it suddenly has less value. It will still be bought every day (as long as the algorithm is not changed). So Shutterstock earns money on it every day. But at the beginning of the year, I simply get even less from it than I already do since the new revenue structure.

The shutterstock argumentation is rhetorical fraud - nothing else! Theft!

Whoever believes that this has something to do with "fairness" is totally wrong!

Where is stockphotofan1 now? 

I see him very active, but not replying this very well motivated post. I can imagine Pavlovsky, Oringer and Kate having a difficult brainstorming, trying to find something to tell him to write about this post. But Wilm totally got the point :)

P. S. A few pages ago mr Jose Fernandez camera 51 promised to disappear, but he's not able even to maintain this promise. He's back spamming, trolling and distracting with off topic content

6 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

They also said our sales will be rewarded for freshness and quality, but the only one that has increase income from sales is your portfolio whose quality is not exactly amongst top 100.000 contributors. 

Anyway, why to believe them? Do you trust a company that unívocally makes so drastic changes (meanwhile spending money on trolls) and communicates them last minute? Are you really sure they're not going to change it for worst in just s few months again?

17 hours ago, An Van Assche said:

Why not, out of courtesy and loyalty to all of the current contributors who have contributed a great deal to the success of Shutterstock, keep the old structure for all contributors who were members before June 1, and enter the new one with each new contributor who registered as from June 1?

Right.  Another contributor who has been here since the beginning with 20,000 videos suggested that too.  Good idea

19 hours ago, An Van Assche said:

Why not, out of courtesy and loyalty to all of the current contributors who have contributed a great deal to the success of Shutterstock, keep the old structure for all contributors who were members before June 1, and enter the new one with each new contributor who registered as from June 1?

This is a great suggestion, SS should consider it.

16 minutes ago, Mirko Rosenau said:

So it looks like Shutterstock stopped updating how many images they currently have. The number hasn't changed all day. 

Is it already that bad?

😏 They got a lot of secret algorythms an drawing tools to display any statistics they need) But still that was not enough 🤑 🙄

sledy-zajca-na-snegu-e560a24.jpg