Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

6 hours ago, s4svisuals said:

the situation is simple. The shareholders are looting shutterstock before getting rid of it. I experienced the same situation with the Getty agency. In this story, the contributors are the losers, as usual. I have decided to deactivited my account and close it later. 

I totally agree, the only conclusion I could come up with for the lack of care / contact with us, is that they are maximising profits in the very short term to then sell off the company. It just doesn't make ANY sense at all longer term to sit and watch thousands of contributors with millions of high quality images leaving and going to keen and opportunistic competitors. I guess Jon Or. has got his fortune, and can use that to help calm his conscience while sitting on a desert island.

2 minutes ago, BobNoah said:

Today DT reported two subscription sales at 0.38 each. What they offered it would start on June 1, has already started. Before that I only got 0.35 per subscription image. Just that you know

What sites do you sell photos on?

1 hour ago, Pixellicious Photos said:

Anyone knows how long does Adobe Stock photos take to review? I want to disable shutterstock portfolio but not before I have everything elsewhere.

Usually 3/4 days..max 6/7 day

On 6/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mirko Rosenau said:

If you aren't happy with getting 10 cent for high quality content...

How do I deactivate/delete my contributor account?

We provide the options below to deactivate/delete your contributor account:

Opting out of sales (recommended option)
Opting out of sales will remove your content from online display, but keeps your account active and ensures that your earnings payment will be made when you reach the minimum payout level. Your referral earnings will also continue to accumulate. Opting in or out of sales allows you to quickly reinstate your previously approved content if you decide to return to Shutterstock in the future.

To opt out of sales, log into your account and navigate to the Account Settings page from the drop-down menu under your name in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the section How can we license your work? and select No for the sales options.

Deleting your account
You have the right to access and correct, or delete your Personal Information and privacy preferences at any time. You can immediately change your profile here or request a deletion of your personal information from our privacy team - Privacy@shutterstock.com. Deleting your account will permanently remove your content from online display, bar access to your account and participation in our forums. You can find detailed information on our Privacy Policy.

I've been with Shutterstock since 2009.   Over the years I have, slowly, built up a decent paycheck each month... but, I just started noticing that my payments were down to 10 cents per image.  Then I found out about the new pricing structure.   Long story short... I will be taking all of my images off of Shutterstock if this pricing structure is not reversed soon.   I have poured thousands of dollars and countless hours in to producing some very unique images.   There is, simply, no way that I'm going to accept a 10 cent payment for the use of any of my images.   I will market them myself before I go down that road...

2 minutes ago, Joe West said:

I've been with Shutterstock since 2009.   Over the years I have, slowly, built up a decent paycheck each month... but, I just started noticing that my payments were down to 10 cents per image.  Then I found out about the new pricing structure.   Long story short... I will be taking all of my images off of Shutterstock if this pricing structure is not reversed soon.   I have poured thousands of dollars and countless hours in to producing some very unique images.   There is, simply, no way that I'm going to accept a 10 cent payment for the use of any of my images.   I will market them myself before I go down that road...

Joe, I totally agree with you. It is a shame how Shutterstock is taking advantage of its contributors. If it helps you, a Facebook group has been created. You will find support there nad perhaps inspiration on where to go from here. 

5 minutes ago, William Perugini said:

Still waiting to hear from you about 1.10$ OD sales @Kate Shutterstock

William, good luck waiting. I wrote Kate a message beginning of June. She never replied. 

I think with this rip off Shutterstock was banking on people like yourself, who have an impressive large image base where it is difficult to leave Shutterstock. 

2 hours ago, NeydtStock said:

Hello dear contributor friends 
commission changes have been in effect for 12 days
it's been 12 days since I read complaints, closings of porfolios
most of you, focus on the small license at 0.10 cts 
others focus on lowering their RPD 

I think you have to see the other side of the glass half full
ask you the right questions ? 
how to profit from this change rather than to undergo it ? 
how to increase my RDP ? 
how sale more enchanced licences ? 
the change has been in effect for 12 days 
My RPD is exactly the same : 0,66 cts / sale 
because since 2014 I built a varied portfolio 
and this month 
I sold more enchanced licences 
three since the beginning of the month 
whereas a few years ago, I only sold one or two a month 

so try to question yourself, rather than complain 
take advantage of change instead of enduring it ! 

good reflexion
good photos 
good sales  

Arno.

Hello dear contributor friend

This is different for everyone, but everyone here agrees with one thing, lowering the sales commission from a maximum of 0.38 cents to just 0.10 cents is ridiculous.

It is not possible to evaluate or compare individual performance with that of other employees, let alone say that we are complaining for nothing, due to different actions.

Each employee has different focuses and costs, each working on specific topics. Everyone knows that producing content involves costs.

Learning is constant in this environment, we just shouldn't settle for something that is unfair, and at the moment most employees are complaining more due to the low amount paid in subscriptions that fell to 0.10. The rest is normal for most, as we all sell on other image banks, and so Shutter adopted the lowest amount paid to employees.

In my case the last few days were the worst in years selling here on ShutterStock. My earnings have dropped by at least 30%.

I am thinking positive yes, I will simply change the colors of my work and send it for approval to increase the number of sales, quickly increasing my portfolio, since I work with vector illustrations. This is my learning !!!

Earning less and working more, that cannot happen.

Can we assume this silence from Shutterstock means that they have fired everyone?  Maybe not :)

I don’t like that Shutterstock doesn't have a dialogue with the authors. And don't react at all.

Angry Contributors!

_01.jpg

6 minutes ago, stockername said:

I don’t like that Shutterstock doesn't have a dialogue with the authors. And don't react at all.

Angry Contributors!

Wait until the commission payouts rollout after a month or two of this.  The anger will continue.  We are just the ones who watch daily sales.  In some cases, you will see people who were borderline, not get a payout.  Sadly, you will still have dopes who say "This isn't so bad.  I can live with it."

2 minutes ago, Amir Bajric said:

stop uploading photos, freeze your portfolio, aren't you tired of humiliation

I have to agree with Amir. As long contributors providing content to Shutterstock, they get away with it. What is Shutterstock without us? They have nothing. If enough people come onboard and disable their content Shutterstock will have to come around or they go under. If they go under, we will see increased sales on other platforms. Tat means we win!

So that you have something to read this weekend, I wanted to complete my facts.

On the subject of mathematics - since it is sometimes claimed that we do not master it - a few facts (level 5):

Today, June 12...

17 subs = $ 4.92
1 OD = $ 2.61
Total = $ 7.53

Under the previous royalty system:

17 subs x 0.38 = $6.46
1 OD = $ 2.85
Total = $ 9.31

Loss: 20%.

---------------

Yesterday, June 11.

26 subs = $ 5.27
2 ODs = $ 6.77
Total = $ 12.04

26 subs x 0.38 = $ 9.88
2 ODs = $ 5.70
Total = $ 15.58

Loss: 24%

---------------

The day before yesterday, June 10.

21 subs = $ 4.81
3 ODs = $ 9.56
Total = $ 14.37

21 Subs x 0.38 = $ 7.98
3 ODs = $ 8.55
Total = $ 16.53

Loss: 13%

---------------

June 9th

19 subs = $ 4.12

19 subs x 0.38 = $ 7.22

Loss: 43%

---------------

June 8th

24 subs = $ 6.92
1 OD = $ 1.15
Total = $ 8.07

24 subs x 0.38 = $ 9.12
1 OD = $ 2.85
Total = $ 11.97

Loss: 33%

Now I'm attaching a screenshot. It shows that 78% of my income in the last 9.5 years was composed of Subs and ODs.
The biggest block for me is the Subs - they make up 47.5% of my total income. And this is where the losses are greatest. For the ODs, I now get 5% more. But since they only make up 31% of my income, I can't make up for the losses on the subs.

This is exactly what shutterstock included in their calculation in the run-up to the royalty changes. Proof of this is the fact that we are no longer shown exactly this bar chart, which showed the distribution of income by license type at first sight. It has been quietly and secretly made to disappear.

Of course every now and then a big Enhanced (today one for $ 39) or a big SOD comes in. Of course I also enjoyed the day when over $250 came in. And many other days too. But again - these extra revenues only make up 20% over the years - that's the problem.

So already losses. At the beginning of the year, the losses will - of course - be even bigger, because it will take me quite a while to work my way back up to level 5. During this time there will be several percent more losses. I could probably calculate them pretty accurately - but I don't feel like it anymore. Because these figures are catastrophic enough.

And now for the thesis that it looks different at level 6. I am firmly convinced that this is not the case. Because the bigger a portfolio is, the more often the contributor is bookmarked or saved by the big customers (who often buy the biggest sub packs) or put into the lightbox. He has an even bigger share of Subs, because his offer is huge and he has many images to offer for a certain subject. And these losses he also does not get compensated with the better paid ODs - I am very sure about that.

Typen_von_Einnahmen.jpg

34 minutes ago, stockername said:

Angry Contributors!

Shutterstock isn’t motivated to open a dialogue regarding this. If you want to give them a little push, posts need to be somewhere other than the SS forums.  They’re probably making more money now due to our decreased earnings.  Try letting the big SS investors know of our concern.  That could be a wake up call.

Not sure how recent this is:

Shutterstock's stock is owned by a variety of retail and institutional investors. Top institutional shareholders include BlackRock Inc. (7.76%), ArrowMark Colorado Holdings LLC (6.41%), Van Berkom & Associates Inc. (4.85%), Bernzott Capital Advisors (2.59%), Rice Hall James & Associates LLC (1.90%) and Rice Hall James & Associates LLC (1.90%). Company insiders that own Shutterstock stock include Deirdre Mary Bigley, Jonathan Oringer, Martin Brodbeck and Thomas R Evans.

50 minutes ago, stockername said:

Angry Contributors!

They simply do not want to, they have made their decision and nothing will make them go back, certainly not a million little angry contributors .
Don't get too many illusions, boycotts, petitions and the like will have no effect .

It's the stock investors that will get ripped off.  The SS people will sell their stocks and little do buyers know that the company is more or less dead.  We need to get out there and write to all buyers, agencies, but also investors.  And not bother investors with contributor problems, but the fact that Shutterstock will lose sales and customers because there is nothing new to sell.