Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

31 minutes ago, Soare Cecilia Corina said:

Gradually I will be moving to Alamy - I have there a just few photos, I was negligent with it because of Shutterstock keeping me busy and miserable, rejecting my photos again and again, on absurd motives, making me feeling unworthy. In the same time I've got here thousands of downloads... 

The method they've used on me, at least - the stick and the carrot. It worked. I've became blind rejecting to see other venues...

I've recently discovered that I got 2 sales on Alamy.  Lovely sum of money on just 2 downloads. Wow!

It's time to  upload my photos there - photos that are hard to shoot, I've got plenty more rejected here on absurd motives, I guess It's time to wake up!

Good luck to you all! 

Legend says that once upon a time when rates were fair like fairies there was in istockphoto a terrible ugly reviewer so picky that rejected nearly 90% of submission, ss at that time was building his image bank and was way more indulgent. Then when istock sold his soul the evil redactor "migrated" to ss making hell of subitters life.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure, and don't let anyone convince you that you're worthless.

P.S.: Great pf by the way. I've deleted all my recent  vectors, leaving only the old ugly ones.

26 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

Oh yes! It makes me really angry when I compare figures. See below todays DLs to this minute. Same number of DLs - worlds apart in revenue.

image.thumb.png.3e6c42e7dc9f0221ffb88a97425f7426.png

Well SS subs are mostly very low but in your comparison, the right column has no date. I wonder why? If those dls are all for today than you are an exception on that agency.

to all those looking for other agencies, here's my take until now: 

until now, SS was the most profitable, then comes AS and istock pretty much the same and then the rest....Alamy pays well but for me, sales happen every once in a long while...i'm only doing food and i don't shoot much

good luck!

29 minutes ago, Max Somma said:

Legend says that once upon a time when rates were fair like fairies there was in istockphoto a terrible ugly reviewer so picky that rejected nearly 90% of submission, ss at that time was building his image bank and was way more indulgent. Then when istock sold his soul the evil redactor "migrated" to ss making hell of subitters life.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure, and don't let anyone convince you that you're worthless.

P.S.: Great pf by the way. I've deleted all my recent  vectors, leaving only the old ugly ones.

Thank you for your words....

There's a big lesson to be learned here, it's hard but necessary. I am pro quality over quantity, but I need more quantity and shutterstock seemed adamant to reject many interesting photos. I cannot tolerate this anymore, especially now with these awful prices. It has become unbearable! :-(

I will expand on that on other site, that is respectful with photographers and that do not treat everybody like newcomers.

47 minutes ago, mpessaris said:

to all those looking for other agencies, here's my take until now: 

until now, SS was the most profitable, then comes AS and istock pretty much the same and then the rest....Alamy pays well but for me, sales happen every once in a long while...i'm only doing food and i don't shoot much

good luck!

That's clearly the main reason of why people are so upset by the SS move, as SS is for a lot of contributors the main earning site and microstock with SS earning are not worth it. Some have good performance at AS, not me (I still mostly sell to asian countries where SS is stronger I guess).  Looks like lots of people who boycott SS now are still uploading to Istock, or even unsplash or freepik, who pays less as a minimum commission, but since those site are not those who bring most money, it doesn't really matter. 

6 hours ago, graphicline said:

I have excluded my account. after a while I activated. Around 500 patterns are missing. But there are still real numbers in my collections. I want those who think to freeze their account to know this.

I deactivated  photos for one week. After turning on, all the photos returned

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Johannes Rigg said:

Hello,

I am very annoyed about the new fee for downloads.
Although I have "Level 3", the remuneration has been reduced by over 50%,
which I cannot accept. This new regulation, which I have never agreed to, 
will destroy the work of photographers.

This is nothing but taking advantage of the photographers.
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there a change to increase the remuneration for the downloads again?

From now on I will NOT upload any more PHOTOS because my photos are too good to be sold at this sling price. 
I the consider deleting all the photos and closing my Shutterstock account.

I ask for an immediate opinion on this new terrible remuneration scheme.

Johannes Rig
4 hours ago, Johannes Rigg said:

Hello,

I am very annoyed about the new fee for downloads.
Although I have "Level 3", the remuneration has been reduced by over 50%,
which I cannot accept. This new regulation, which I have never agreed to, 
will destroy the work of photographers.

This is nothing but taking advantage of the photographers.
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there a change to increase the remuneration for the downloads again?

From now on I will NOT upload any more PHOTOS because my photos are too good to be sold at this sling price. 
I the consider deleting all the photos and closing my Shutterstock account.

I ask for an immediate opinion on this new terrible remuneration scheme.

Johannes RiggHi Hans 

Sorry to say this but whenever I hear someone like you, and many many on this forum,say that they are considering close their account, my life experience tells me they won't!!

If you do consider your work more valuable than the miserable 10cts SS is offering, then you,as I did, already had taken a decisive move concerning this matter.

Don't ask other's opinion, ask yourself determination!!

Hi Hans

Sorry to say this but whenever I hear someone like you, and many many on this forum,say that they are considering close their account, my life experience tells me they won't!!

If you do consider your work more valuable than the miserable 10cts SS is offering, then you,as I did, already had taken a decisive move concerning this matter.

Don't ask other's opinion, ask yourself determination!!

Edited by Marafona
Mess with auto corrector

Anyone knows how long does Adobe Stock photos take to review? I want to disable shutterstock portfolio but not before I have everything elsewhere.

5 hours ago, s4svisuals said:

the situation is simple. The shareholders are looting shutterstock before getting rid of it. I experienced the same situation with the Getty agency. In this story, the contributors are the losers, as usual. I have decided to deactivited my account and close it later. 

Seems to be true. John Oringer sold his share (I don't know how much). So, I guess he don't control 51% anymore. And maybe he was the first to get rid of it.

I wonder who will buy it after all this chaos? Maybe even somebody already have a deal?

Good Morning,

This is something very important, working with a percentage that all image banks do, but not with the sales of subscriptions in greater quantity as the 750 monthly downloads. Precisely because the value we earn is extremely low, this part should be revised. Receiving 0.10 per image sold becomes very little, and it is no longer worth the effort we make to keep the job.

Now a very important point that Shutterstock forgot a long time ago: "YOU WORK FOR CONTRIBUTORS, WITHOUT US YOU WOULD NOT BE ANYTHING. IF ALL OF US WILL DISABLE OUR PORTFOLIOS, SHUTTER IS OVER !!! WILL I BE CLEAR OR DO WE NEED TO DO IT? AN ART FOR YOU TO EXTEND? OR AS WE SAY HERE IN MY COUNTRY, YOU NEED TO DESIGN FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND IT !!

Bom dia,

Isso é algo muito importante, trabalhar com porcentagem todos os bancos de imagem fazem, porém não com as vendas de assinaturas em maior quantidade como as 750 downloads mensais. Justamente pelo fato de o valor que nos ganhamos fica extremamente pouco,  essa parte deveria ser revista. Receber 0,10 por imagem vendida se torna muito pouco, e não vale mais o esforço que fazemos para manter o trabalho.

Agora um ponto muito importante que o Shutterstock esqueceu há muito tempo: "VOCÊS TRABALHAM PARA OS CONTRIBUIDORES, SEM NÓS VOCÊS NÃO SERIAM NADA.  SE TODOS NÓS DESABILITAR-MOS NOSSOS PORTIFOLIOS, O SHUTTER ACABA!!! SERÁ QUE EU FUI CLARO OU PRECISAMOS FAZER UMA ARTE PARA VOCÊS ESTENDEREM? OU COMO DIZEMOS AQUI NO MEU PAÍS, PRECISA DESENHAR PARA VOCÊS ENTENDEREM ISSO!!

36 minutes ago, Pixellicious Photos said:

Anyone knows how long does Adobe Stock photos take to review? I want to disable shutterstock portfolio but not before I have everything elsewhere.

Currently around 10 days for commercial - used to be much faster not long ago. Editorials were as quick as one hour to one day.

2 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

Well SS subs are mostly very low but in your comparison, the right column has no date. I wonder why? If those dls are all for today than you are an exception on that agency.

Yes its all from today but the date column was all to the left and I therefore cropped it. Yes getting that much 3$ sales is unusual but on the other hand getting the 0,1x DLs at shutter always feel like a slap in the face. In the meantime I had another 3,30 sale on the other agency and one 0,20 and one 0,13 on SS.

Hello dear contributor friends 
commission changes have been in effect for 12 days
it's been 12 days since I read complaints, closings of porfolios
most of you, focus on the small license at 0.10 cts 
others focus on lowering their RPD 

I think you have to see the other side of the glass half full
ask you the right questions ? 
how to profit from this change rather than to undergo it ? 
how to increase my RDP ? 
how sale more enchanced licences ? 
the change has been in effect for 12 days 
My RPD is exactly the same : 0,66 cts / sale 
because since 2014 I built a varied portfolio 
and this month 
I sold more enchanced licences 
three since the beginning of the month 
whereas a few years ago, I only sold one or two a month 

so try to question yourself, rather than complain 
take advantage of change instead of enduring it ! 

good reflexion
good photos 
good sales  

Arno.

9 minutes ago, NeydtStock said:

how to increase my RDP ? 
and this month 

good reflexion
good photos 
good sales  

Arno.

quantity versus quality

8 minutes ago, NeydtStock said:

how to increase my RDP ? 
and this month 

good reflexion
good photos 
good sales  

Arno.

Do you want to share the magical bullet for selling more enhanced licenses? Seems like a variable you can't influence because you can't influence the need of the buyer. First there is a need and then they search at the stock sites. I think there should be more ELs, but for that SS needs to enforce rules (print run,...) which they are not interested in. Or even change rules? Why can you use a 0,10 image (photogs share) for a book or magazine cover? Those should require an EL. Lower the max. print run to 50.000 or even 5.000? Even large Newspapers with a print run of below 500.000 (most of the papers in Germany) don't need an EL today.

3 hours ago, Andreas Prott said:

Oh yes! It makes me really angry when I compare figures. See below todays DLs to this minute. Same number of DLs - worlds apart in revenue.

image.thumb.png.3e6c42e7dc9f0221ffb88a97425f7426.png

You get $ 0.10 and CC gets$ 3.19 ????