Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

I got only one sale - 1,47$. (i'm level 1)

I have 4 downloads from referrals = 0,16$ 

But honestly... I was excited with the low price of downloads before changes. I put so much free time, excitment and effort..

Now.. I don't think it is worth my time doing this. I don't think I will do it again. I prefer my free time to be spended more quality. I was thinking (before price changes) it's not worth the effort to take photos, edit them, keywording, uploading, rejections, etc... but now defenetly not worth at all.  If we calculating the taxes for USA and my country from 0,10$.. It looks like disaster.

15 hours ago, otsphoto said:

Frankly I am not sure why you even bother uploading with such "earnings" and then try to prove a point. Earn for a living with stock, and then see how the earnings dropped, for everyone. These numbers are random and absolutely not worth even taking seriously. 

15 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Because they brighten my day, obviously! Not any time at all, I type fast.

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

Grats on your website clown

I have excluded my account. after a while I activated. Around 500 patterns are missing. But there are still real numbers in my collections. I want those who think to freeze their account to know this.

7 hours ago, Thomas Andreas said:

HI friend, I am the one that reported the -4% that maybe annoyed you. I didn't want to annoy you. Shutterstock didn't pay me anything more than what the clients buy from my library. I also work as a photographer for 10+ years also. I don't have an agenda but i am investigative as to what is going on, the same as you. So about the data you posted, I did some brief analysis.

You sell mainly sub dl's and have a low frequency of OD's and EL sales. Probably your work attracts large subscription clients the most and for that reason you see the fairly big -39% drop. If you hadn't removed your port maybe I could have spotted something more to tell you in regards to your situation.

Hey, it's fine.

But remember, most of us sell subs.

And if you get a good month with many ODs, is just anomalous. I speak this from my own experience. 

That's why we complain, that's why we are angry and it's a huge drop and is getting worst at the start of each year.

And you guys saying things like "we have an agenda of some sorts" is ridiculous, you should be on our side if you respect and love what you do.

the situation is simple. The shareholders are looting shutterstock before getting rid of it. I experienced the same situation with the Getty agency. In this story, the contributors are the losers, as usual. I have decided to deactivited my account and close it later. 

17 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Not really. They are consistent with previous earnings for the most part, not "random". Not all of the contributors are professional photographers, you must realize, so my needs/goals are not yours and vice a versa.

Have a great day :)

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

Do you consider yourself professional by what criteria?

Just curious! Is it by the number of photos you take or?

Hello everyone, earnings started to look a bit better this week for me, but they are still down by 30-50% from the usual earnings.

I was level 4 I guess(38 cents/image). I don't consider my content high level and it's no longer my main source of income(it used to be!!!) still they hit me hard in my dignity and it's years of constant work going down the drain. So...

I started uploading my portfolio on Ad..Stock before deactivating this one. Does anyone know if there's a direct more simple way of uploading the portfolio from one site to another without manually transfering each file and copy-pasting metadata? I'm sorry if this question was already met on this forum, I read as much as I could of the discussions but haven't found an answer to this issue. Thank you!

Good luck to all of you brave talented people.

Hello,

I am very annoyed about the new fee for downloads.
Although I have "Level 3", the remuneration has been reduced by over 50%,
which I cannot accept. This new regulation, which I have never agreed to, 
will destroy the work of photographers.

This is nothing but taking advantage of the photographers.
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there a change to increase the remuneration for the downloads again?

From now on I will NOT upload any more PHOTOS because my photos are too good to be sold at this sling price. 
I the consider deleting all the photos and closing my Shutterstock account.

I ask for an immediate opinion on this new terrible remuneration scheme.

Johannes Rigg

1 hour ago, otsphoto said:

Oh, my bad. Should have looked at your portfolio. If this is the "quality" shutterstock is looking for, then by all means. It is definitely worth 0,10 cents. Though I wouldn't buy it even for that. 

At the end that is quality that SS will be known for. 

Gradually I will be moving to Alamy - I have there a just few photos, I was negligent with it because of Shutterstock keeping me busy and miserable, rejecting my photos again and again, on absurd motives, making me feeling unworthy. In the same time I've got here thousands of downloads... 

The method they've used on me, at least - the stick and the carrot. It worked. I've became blind rejecting to see other venues...

I've recently discovered that I got 2 sales on Alamy.  Lovely sum of money on just 2 downloads. Wow!

It's time to  upload my photos there - photos that are hard to shoot, I've got plenty more rejected here on absurd motives, I guess It's time to wake up!

Good luck to you all! 

31 minutes ago, Soare Cecilia Corina said:

Gradually I will be moving to Alamy - I have there a just few photos, I was negligent with it because of Shutterstock keeping me busy and miserable, rejecting my photos again and again, on absurd motives, making me feeling unworthy. In the same time I've got here thousands of downloads... 

The method they've used on me, at least - the stick and the carrot. It worked. I've became blind rejecting to see other venues...

I've recently discovered that I got 2 sales on Alamy.  Lovely sum of money on just 2 downloads. Wow!

It's time to  upload my photos there - photos that are hard to shoot, I've got plenty more rejected here on absurd motives, I guess It's time to wake up!

Good luck to you all! 

Legend says that once upon a time when rates were fair like fairies there was in istockphoto a terrible ugly reviewer so picky that rejected nearly 90% of submission, ss at that time was building his image bank and was way more indulgent. Then when istock sold his soul the evil redactor "migrated" to ss making hell of subitters life.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure, and don't let anyone convince you that you're worthless.

P.S.: Great pf by the way. I've deleted all my recent  vectors, leaving only the old ugly ones.

26 minutes ago, Andreas Prott said:

Oh yes! It makes me really angry when I compare figures. See below todays DLs to this minute. Same number of DLs - worlds apart in revenue.

image.thumb.png.3e6c42e7dc9f0221ffb88a97425f7426.png

Well SS subs are mostly very low but in your comparison, the right column has no date. I wonder why? If those dls are all for today than you are an exception on that agency.

to all those looking for other agencies, here's my take until now: 

until now, SS was the most profitable, then comes AS and istock pretty much the same and then the rest....Alamy pays well but for me, sales happen every once in a long while...i'm only doing food and i don't shoot much

good luck!

29 minutes ago, Max Somma said:

Legend says that once upon a time when rates were fair like fairies there was in istockphoto a terrible ugly reviewer so picky that rejected nearly 90% of submission, ss at that time was building his image bank and was way more indulgent. Then when istock sold his soul the evil redactor "migrated" to ss making hell of subitters life.

I wish you all the best in your new adventure, and don't let anyone convince you that you're worthless.

P.S.: Great pf by the way. I've deleted all my recent  vectors, leaving only the old ugly ones.

Thank you for your words....

There's a big lesson to be learned here, it's hard but necessary. I am pro quality over quantity, but I need more quantity and shutterstock seemed adamant to reject many interesting photos. I cannot tolerate this anymore, especially now with these awful prices. It has become unbearable! :-(

I will expand on that on other site, that is respectful with photographers and that do not treat everybody like newcomers.

47 minutes ago, mpessaris said:

to all those looking for other agencies, here's my take until now: 

until now, SS was the most profitable, then comes AS and istock pretty much the same and then the rest....Alamy pays well but for me, sales happen every once in a long while...i'm only doing food and i don't shoot much

good luck!

That's clearly the main reason of why people are so upset by the SS move, as SS is for a lot of contributors the main earning site and microstock with SS earning are not worth it. Some have good performance at AS, not me (I still mostly sell to asian countries where SS is stronger I guess).  Looks like lots of people who boycott SS now are still uploading to Istock, or even unsplash or freepik, who pays less as a minimum commission, but since those site are not those who bring most money, it doesn't really matter.