Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

7 hours ago, eskystudio said:

What you are doing is quite atrocious. You ignore a lot of cases with legitimate claims from level 4/5/6 contributors who say that they experience 40 to 60 reductions in earnings. Then you file them under 'just some angry people' implying that their emotional state prevents them from making correct deductions from the data they are observing with their own eyes.

Instead of saying that some people see slight reductions in income while other people have drastic ones, you throw majority of your fellow contributors under the bus.

And in order to substantiate this point of view you side with a known troll no less. Nice.

He is happy and excited for his portfolio being in the positive. I remember the huge motivational boost I had received the first time I had my big sale in SS back in 2014 or so. Probably everyone remembers their first big sale in Shutterstock and many more good times. About Justin, he makes under $100 a month and he was happy about that sale. The atrocious thing I see here is that some other people don't let him have his opinion in peace and use him to vent anger for their misfortunes. So the reason he is answering like he does and appears to be "trolling" is that the community does not allow him to be happy for a good thing that happened to him, which is equally bad to not be understood when something goes not good. I mentioned his approaches. He did a very correct excel sheet with RPD probability. It could use some polishing but the approach is correct. Why take that away from him?

So to not confuse you with emotional theories further more and get back to the subject. Most people that are doing ok with the new system don't even say so. This whole thread is a vent. If you read my earlier analysis (Page 223 I think +-1) you will understand how I see it. I tried a post in other forum to gather accurate data. 90% didn't submit accurate data and accused me of posting a positive RPD as "Shuttertroll". They were all giving selective data to fit their story. They were not stating their contributor levels for a start. So if someone with 1 sale was saying that from $0.25 he dropped to $0.10 then that percentage was calculated by the rest as a "vote" of -66%. Certainly not.

You say level 4/5/6 contributors as if they are in the same sack. A level 4 is 1x, a level 5 is 10x and level 6 is x100. That is the correct analogy when you talk about levels. And trust me, there is no level 6 guy (images only) that sees such low RPD's. These Level 6 will not even bother posting because they need to upload and keyword 5000 more images each this week. Their tendency in the new system from my perspective is at least +5%. What I said earlier, is that Shutterstock only made the ladder steeper for Level 4 and below.

Anyway, as you can see it's a big topic. It's also all the world situation together, one on top of the other. The pandemic, the us riots, everything. Now for us, this. You are also doing travel stock, so I guess your niche is also being hit as a market. Try to collect yourself, stay out of these forums if possible, put on some music, do some images, curate and keep nourishing your work. And remember that what goes around comes around. Good luck my friend.

16 minutes ago, Red Din said:

Are they trolls? Are they paid by shutterstock, what's their agenda? To annoy the people who worked so hard for 10+ years?

I don't know, you tell me.

HI friend, I am the one that reported the -4% that maybe annoyed you. I didn't want to annoy you. Shutterstock didn't pay me anything more than what the clients buy from my library. I also work as a photographer for 10+ years also. I don't have an agenda but i am investigative as to what is going on, the same as you. So about the data you posted, I did some brief analysis.

You sell mainly sub dl's and have a low frequency of OD's and EL sales. Probably your work attracts large subscription clients the most and for that reason you see the fairly big -39% drop. If you hadn't removed your port maybe I could have spotted something more to tell you in regards to your situation.

1 hour ago, Thomas Andreas said:

HI friend, I am the one that reported the -4% that maybe annoyed you. I didn't want to annoy you. Shutterstock didn't pay me anything more than what the clients buy from my library. I also work as a photographer for 10+ years also. I don't have an agenda but i am investigative as to what is going on, the same as you. So about the data you posted, I did some brief analysis.

You sell mainly sub dl's and have a low frequency of OD's and EL sales. Probably your work attracts large subscription clients the most and for that reason you see the fairly big -39% drop. If you hadn't removed your port maybe I could have spotted something more to tell you in regards to your situation.

Guys, this is normal, you are going to see people stay with shutterstock, because in some magical way it seems to "work for them."  For the vast majority of the users who sell through subs, this is a disaster.  And lest we forget, shutterstock was a major driving force in pushing for sub sales.

7 hours ago, Birdiegal said:

mestock start to look attractive again, stopped uploading there a few years back after the haircut.  10 cents a DL is a joke. mestock now looked like a saint compare to ss. AS is all at a sudden seeing a lot of UL traffic.  I will not  add new contents here any more, wait and see to delete port

mestock - what is? Can't find any reference.

2 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

Well the request to completely and totally delete my account went in today. Shutterstock has been a daily part of my life since before 2006 when I came back. Almost 12k images and a host of daily sellers, many topped their categories on page 1 for over a decade.

Best of luck to everyone except of course, the people who decided to kill our earnings to pad the profit margins. It says a lot for your business model that you could not make a good enough profit with a model that required nothing from you except connecting buyers and sellers, and still collect 60-75% or more of every sale. You have to be a special kind of stupid genius not to make that work. 

I don't know you but it's sad to see professionals like yourself totally hang it up.  I've disabled for the time being to see if the pressure works.  

Also, it's a cash business!  Shutterstock gets paid instantly, electronically, 24/7!  No net 30, etc. . . . 

8 hours ago, Pixeljoy said:

Shutterstock might think that they are "too big to fall". But in history there are enough cases that "Giants" did fall, due to mismanagement.

But they are big enough to get stuck under their own stupid weight and then simply rot.

20 hours ago, Mihai_Tamasila said:

I agree, they just took the axe and chopped us... it don't matter if I'm lvl 3 on images, I still get 10c sales which is very disappointing, compared to 0.36c I was getting.

Real shame, I was expecting a raise this year, instead we got hit hard and nobody can tell me my earnings are the same when I see half of what I was earning this far.

image.png.da5db0ff95743f7a20ac1509224ba6c4.png

Same here, I was very close to make it to 38 cents. Just sad what happen. Within  the next few month Shutterstock will be taken over by Adobe. 

I got only one sale - 1,47$. (i'm level 1)

I have 4 downloads from referrals = 0,16$ 

But honestly... I was excited with the low price of downloads before changes. I put so much free time, excitment and effort..

Now.. I don't think it is worth my time doing this. I don't think I will do it again. I prefer my free time to be spended more quality. I was thinking (before price changes) it's not worth the effort to take photos, edit them, keywording, uploading, rejections, etc... but now defenetly not worth at all.  If we calculating the taxes for USA and my country from 0,10$.. It looks like disaster.

15 hours ago, otsphoto said:

Frankly I am not sure why you even bother uploading with such "earnings" and then try to prove a point. Earn for a living with stock, and then see how the earnings dropped, for everyone. These numbers are random and absolutely not worth even taking seriously. 

15 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Because they brighten my day, obviously! Not any time at all, I type fast.

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

Grats on your website clown

I have excluded my account. after a while I activated. Around 500 patterns are missing. But there are still real numbers in my collections. I want those who think to freeze their account to know this.

7 hours ago, Thomas Andreas said:

Hey, it's fine.

But remember, most of us sell subs.

And if you get a good month with many ODs, is just anomalous. I speak this from my own experience. 

That's why we complain, that's why we are angry and it's a huge drop and is getting worst at the start of each year.

And you guys saying things like "we have an agenda of some sorts" is ridiculous, you should be on our side if you respect and love what you do.

the situation is simple. The shareholders are looting shutterstock before getting rid of it. I experienced the same situation with the Getty agency. In this story, the contributors are the losers, as usual. I have decided to deactivited my account and close it later. 

17 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Not really. They are consistent with previous earnings for the most part, not "random". Not all of the contributors are professional photographers, you must realize, so my needs/goals are not yours and vice a versa.

Have a great day :)

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

Do you consider yourself professional by what criteria?

Just curious! Is it by the number of photos you take or?

Hello everyone, earnings started to look a bit better this week for me, but they are still down by 30-50% from the usual earnings.

I was level 4 I guess(38 cents/image). I don't consider my content high level and it's no longer my main source of income(it used to be!!!) still they hit me hard in my dignity and it's years of constant work going down the drain. So...

I started uploading my portfolio on Ad..Stock before deactivating this one. Does anyone know if there's a direct more simple way of uploading the portfolio from one site to another without manually transfering each file and copy-pasting metadata? I'm sorry if this question was already met on this forum, I read as much as I could of the discussions but haven't found an answer to this issue. Thank you!

Good luck to all of you brave talented people.

Hello,

I am very annoyed about the new fee for downloads.
Although I have "Level 3", the remuneration has been reduced by over 50%,
which I cannot accept. This new regulation, which I have never agreed to, 
will destroy the work of photographers.

This is nothing but taking advantage of the photographers.
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is there a change to increase the remuneration for the downloads again?

From now on I will NOT upload any more PHOTOS because my photos are too good to be sold at this sling price. 
I the consider deleting all the photos and closing my Shutterstock account.

I ask for an immediate opinion on this new terrible remuneration scheme.

Johannes Rigg

1 hour ago, otsphoto said:

Oh, my bad. Should have looked at your portfolio. If this is the "quality" shutterstock is looking for, then by all means. It is definitely worth 0,10 cents. Though I wouldn't buy it even for that. 

At the end that is quality that SS will be known for. 

Gradually I will be moving to Alamy - I have there a just few photos, I was negligent with it because of Shutterstock keeping me busy and miserable, rejecting my photos again and again, on absurd motives, making me feeling unworthy. In the same time I've got here thousands of downloads... 

The method they've used on me, at least - the stick and the carrot. It worked. I've became blind rejecting to see other venues...

I've recently discovered that I got 2 sales on Alamy.  Lovely sum of money on just 2 downloads. Wow!

It's time to  upload my photos there - photos that are hard to shoot, I've got plenty more rejected here on absurd motives, I guess It's time to wake up!

Good luck to you all!