New earnings structure for Contributors

I think the only reason many contributors put up with all the inconsistencies and other crap over the years here at Shutterstock was the pay-out,

but if SS takes that away................what's left? 

In all my years in management, I learned that people put up with a lot, but do not touch their wallet and their coffee

I have a feeling that they will have to move their office to the Bronx pretty soon. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjust

This is just a joke. 10 years with SS and now I'll be getting 20% commission on my footage clips??? No lifetime sales tier, just what you sold last year/this year.... To get to the curr

This space will be updated to address frequently asked questions.  My email shows different counts for videos than are shown above. Which is correct? Apologies. The email to video contributo

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

How to incentivize your contributors.... "By resetting the royalty levels each year" 🤣

AS rewards you for mearly uploading there,  giving you their software completely free for a year.. That's incentive. 

3 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

In an email that is going out today, we are announcing that we will be updating the earnings structure that determines how much you get paid when customers license your work. We are making this adjustment in order to reflect changes in the market for creative content, help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential. 

Starting on June 1st, 2020, your earnings for each license will be based on your Image Level or your Video Level.  

earnings-for-images-forum.png.89c1b679a14834960f019668d0f028d0.png

earnings-for-videos-forum.png.803eddaf31ab4c904b5d8d660bc0495a.png

On June 1, you will be placed in an Image Level and a Video Level based on your download count so far in 2020. The email you receive today will let you know which levels you are in as of this morning. 

How does it work?

• These new levels are based on the number of times your content is licensed rather than your lifetime earnings. 
  • All contributors reset to level 1 for both images and videos every year on January 1st.
  • There are separate levels for images and for videos, and you graduate through them independently based on your download count in each category.

JOKE !

Just now, JSparrow said:

June 1st will be exactly 4 years since I work with Shutterstock. It will be a good present to return to the income level that I had on Shutterstock in the first month! 😃😃

You used to get paid $0.25 per subscription download then, you'll get less now. Yay!

Kate says here that we must have a discussion on this forum. But with whom? Everyone who joins the discussion here are members who don't trust it at all and have the same opinion. Where are the admins (except Kate), who with a different opinion can turn it into a real discussion?
I have not been a member for very long. And do not understand with this calculation what it will mean for my merit.
So far, the pleasure of shooting has been my main focus and it's nice when I earn something. Only I fear that that little merit goes down even further and the merit of the Shutterstock people up.
This way you don't form a company, that people trust. If you want to have a good company, you have to build a good relationship with the people you depend on as a company, your growers.
I already see it in a Dutch company. Dear people, we are going to pay you your wages in a new way. At the beginning of the year, everyone starts with a minimum wage, which is much fairer. And if you work very hard you will get more money.
In any case, come with clear calculations.

1 minute ago, Phil Lowe said:

Offset is not about the quality

Thank you! And you already know that I have this naive side that still believes dedication, persistence and loving the work to create great things... and they will be rewarded, people will notice. But I guess as you said, fame gets rewarded rather than a finely done work with passion. 😕 

With this new earnings structure no one wins except shutterstock. Even agencies will loose big money in first month or two. There is rediculously low % of contributors that sell more than 25.000 images per year. So the bigest agencies will loose big money too. 

Read:

Up to 100     YOU LOOSE 62,5% of your earnings

100-250       YOU LOOSE 50% of your earnings

251-500       YOU LOOSE 37,5% of your earnings

501-2500     YOU LOOSE 25%  of your earnings

2501-25000 YOU LOOSE  12,5%  of your earnings

And those few who sell more than 25000 images per year will reach a point where they will be selling at price on current level.

Selling any work at price 0,10$ is not acceptable and IT IS OUR DUTY TO TELL agencies like SS that that will not work.

If SS succeeds other will follow!

I will dissable my video account on june 1st and my photos on January 1st

Theft!

Resetting everyone to Level 1 each year will destroy our already deceasing income. Please tell me this can't be true. Without the contributors, SS is ABSOLUTELY nothing!  If you take us down, you will surely go down with the ship! This is nothing but sheer greed at the expense of your number one asset. I'm entering my 11th year with SS and will now be forced to direct my new content to Adobe and other agencies. You don't deserve my content! 

2 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

Other agencies did the same thing. How did that work out for them? 

(I give you a hint, it didn't)

Now think about all these people with ultra-expensive gear trying to shoot top quality photos in amazing places, selling literally works of art for T E N C E N T S :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) LMAOOOOOOOO.

Good job Shutterstock! You always surprise me with these jokes.

From the VP:

"

Stay tuned for updates that include tips to help you quickly climb to the higher levels!

How insulting. How to climb to higher levels? Oh man.....

I hope your shareholders are happy. No one else is. In any of the private or public forums.  Including your customers. 

my first message in years!
Most of us (stock photographers) live in the second and third world countries where, in the context of the pandemic, Shutterstock  - it is almost the only way to earn some money for food and credit! We don't have a cushion of a few thousand dollars and we live on the money we get from sales from month to month! We have babies and needs! And now, when stock support is most needed for each of us, you literally cick us off. Have no words!

I got back from a long weekend to this announcement. Oh SS, it has been a long time since there has been any good news from you, but usually the news hasn't been disastrous. This looks horrible - and it isn't really clear either. It might just be horrible, or it might be super extra horrible.  It is sad that you will now punish me for your inability to license my work at anywhere near the rate you used to. I could go on and on, but I sincerely doubt my contribution will help much. Just let me say that I in no way support this move.

Starting every year with 15% ???? This is the lowest rate in the industry and I think you lost me here. It is unacceptable. WE earned together more than 100 000 U$ and the share was in your advantage ...fine you gave us the plattform, but starting every year with 85/15 .... is a rip off. I am pulling out all my footage. Good that I never accepted the exclusive deal, ...that would have been a killer. I am very, very dissapointed. This is not a focus on quality footage, ...it is pure greed. Buhhhhh ...be the change you want to see in the world, ... Mahatma Gandhi ...which change do you want to see in the world? 

The thing is that contributors spend hours for those images, vectors and clips. It takes a lot of time, creativity and passion to do them all and we still earn a horrible amount of money. 0.25 cents were not enough for the hours spent on my vectors already but if I see 10 cents sales on my account, I will delete my account too and colaborate with other agencies.

Even 50% for a contributor is not fair because the contributor made all the work while the agency did nothing! Shutterstock didn't work with me side by side to take 85% of my procent anyway! You are just the host and that is why contributors should get that 85% while the agency gets those 15%. 

That is pure greed - treating your contributors like slaves for your money empire.