Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

Removing your portfolio also causes a drop in SEO ranking...plus nuisance to buyers who do a Google search. I think SS are rigging the system or even maybe even buying from some contributors. On June 2 I had three sales in the order of 15 dollars each which I hadn't had in LONG LONG LONG time. So don't trust. I set my photo portfolio to NO SELL (second time I do it). The first time it was gone in one day. This second time is taking forever. It has already been 2 days and it hasn't arrive to half way....I will stay for video and see what happens...

On 6/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, Julian real said:

Let's be real. You can also make a million dollar with a photo but, in most cases, 99% of the photos are subscriptions. And we get 0.10.

As an example, on January 1st, everyone will be level 1. To sell a 4K video footage for 149 USD, you get 22 USD, and SS over 120.

I'm a bit shocked that you say you're an expert of statistic, but you take in consideration all your sales (that seem faked) and constantly distract the conversation with misinformation.

Note that not all subscriptions = $.10 (you'd know that if you understood the full pay table).

I've made more in June so far than all of May. But that is just my experience. Your "that seem faked" conspiracy claim only shows your experience level with graphics and you're only embarrassing yourself here.

Also, those with larger or better quality photos will quickly sell 100 photos and get to level 2, 3 somewhat quickly. Levels 5 and 6 are untouchable though, at least for me!

Unless you can tell me where I've supposedly said "I'm an expert at statistics", I'll ignore that silliness too.

Cheers,

15 hours ago, Natwood said:

I saw that a brand ambassador of Freepik is an admin of this group and I changed my mind to join.

He is not anymore and thank you for pointing it out. When I joined he was not admin, and then I didn't look at this new admin's his profile.

34 minutes ago, zsooofija said:

He is not anymore and thank you for pointing it out. When I joined he was not admin, and then I didn't look at this new admin's his profile.

Cool! Thank you.

8 hours ago, AlphaNature said:

I raised this question in a group. We are discussing. I will not back down until they are removed from the administration. Thank you for information.

Thank you. I thought I could be not the only one who would change their mind because of this, and it wouldn't be great, we need this group.

I’m so disappointed with this move. I don’t have a lot of photos and don’t depend on this to live, it just keeps me in new equipment. I’ll give it to the end of the month and watch this earnings train wreck before pulling the plug.

1 hour ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Note that not all subscriptions = $.10 (you'd know that if you understood the full pay table).

I've made more in June so far than all of May. But that is just my experience. Your "that seem faked" conspiracy claim only shows your experience level with graphics and you're only embarrassing yourself here.

That's not a relevant situation.

I average 500 sales a month and sometimes I make even 70% more with the same number of sales because of ODs or multiple ELs.

But I never conclude that my earnings are "higher" than usual, that would be BAD math and I don't usually do that.

People said: Most sales are 0.10$ and that's a fact, we can make a small poll here if you don't bother going through the forum and will reveal that universal fact: MOST sales are subscription packs of 350 and 750 downloads/month. I mean, you can literally go on your account history and see that pattern yourself.

I have a decent income this month but that is JUST BECAUSE it happened I sold some ELs but from my 10 years experience, considering 3-4 rare ELs as growth is a big mistake.

Also, I realized since few days ago that you're keep saying "I made more now than I did... on month X", at least 5 times already. So the truth is, that statement is really not relevant at all to this situation.

1 hour ago, zsooofija said:

When I saw this, I left the group.

So I wouldn't go back to that group because I can't trust a group that has accepted such a person as an administrator, even if it was for a short period of time.
Whoever is in charge of admitting new members to a private group cannot make that kind of mistake if they want the group to have any credibility.

I don't upload anything new, but I didn't disable my port. While the revenue is at the level of last month, but look at the cents and know that a month ago, the revenue for the same number of downloads would have been 2 times more.... eh...

2 hours ago, Julian real said:

Let's be real. You can also make a million dollar with a photo but, in most cases, 99% of the photos are subscriptions. And we get 0.10.

As an example, on January 1st, everyone will be level 1. To sell a 4K video footage for 149 USD, you get 22 USD, and SS over 120.

I'm a bit shocked that you say you're an expert of statistic, but you take in consideration all your sales (that seem faked) and constantly distract the conversation with misinformation.

I guess the main misunderstanding in all these disputes here is based on the fact that we don't pay attention to the difference between portfolios. Some contributors upload dozens of thousands of quick photos with minimum editing or with no editing at all, but other contributors invest a lot of time, work, and money in their professional photos. There is a big difference between their approach. Some people are just okay with getting a low rpd because they spend little time on their photos.

I am just curious Kate....

Also your salary cuted 3 times or the new shutterstock CEO share the extra profits to employees? 

2 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

3000 za gospodina.

2 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

in other words, you earned 40$ in June, instead of 30$ in May)

3 hours ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Yes, I quite clearly said you can make $.10 per photo, since that is the minimum payment though. But one can also make say $15 per photo, $22 per photo, etc. I'm making more in June at this point than I did in all of May.

Make any business decision you want, doesn't matter to my goals (nor do mine matter to yours). :) Cheers,

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

I made $80 from 1 sale last month but I only accepted 10c once and then was gone.

This is an absolute insult to all your contributors! You make so much money from our hard work while doing basically nothing but providing a platform!

I was earning on 33 cents per sale before with the occasional $2.48 sale now I earn 10 cents! This is an absolute joke!

I am 40 cents away from my payout level and as soon as i reach it I am pulling my entire portfolio as it makes me sick to my stomach that shutterstock are making money off my work and giving so little back in return!

Good bye!

7 hours ago, Ricoh Mirai User Club said:

People know this already. Wonderful news people with 100 downloads a month will get a massive 20% commission in February and may get to level 3 by June. More wonderful news, I average about 250 downloads a month so could reach level 5 after 10 months before being returned to Level 1 a couple of months later. Great. And even people on Level 6 will get mountains of 10 cent sales.

Serious question: Are you paid to troll the forum and twitter? Or are you just trying to promote whatever nonsense comes up when people click the irrelevant link you provide. Is a a virus? A Rickrolling link? Or perhaps something more unsavory than Rick Astley?

You can hover over his user icon and choose Ignore User. You won't see his messages in this forum after this.

The best way to deal with trolls is to deprive them of conversations and not to engage with them.

Есть хорошее предложение. Чтобы поддержать Shutterstock В этот сложный период времени, вы можете отправить доходы от авторских прав за этот месяц обратно в Shutterstock. Возможно, им не хватает еды.

57 minutes ago, Natwood said:

I guess the main misunderstanding in all these disputes here is based on the fact that we don't pay attention to the difference between portfolios. Some contributors upload dozens of thousands of quick photos with minimum editing or with no editing at all, but other contributors invest a lot of time, work, and money in their professional photos. There is a big difference between their approach. Some people are just okay with getting a low rpd because they spend little time on their photos.

You are right, those are two completely different approaches. But I think it makes no difference if it comes to payment. Whether you upload a few high quality images and gets high per image revenue, or you upload easy made images with lesser per image revenue but make it good with sheer quantity, in the end you are awarded according to your invested work, be it hours of postprocessing or hours of keyword typing. In any case, uploading even more images to make the same money is hard for anyone.

17 minutes ago, twinlynx said:

Есть хорошее предложение. Чтобы поддержать Shutterstock В этот сложный период времени, вы можете отправить доходы от авторских прав за этот месяц обратно в Shutterstock. Возможно, им не хватает еды.

That is what we are doing anyway )

If our revenue is cut by 25%, it just means that we are giving three monthes income back to Shutterstock each year.

Some people speak of 50%...

28 minutes ago, twinlynx said:

Зачёт!!!! 🤣

28 minutes ago, twinlynx said:

збс идея

On 5/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, Richard Whitcombe said:

Worked for istock.  And SS know it.

I was working basically for Shutterstock and because I already have the file I was thinking why not putting it on istock too.. that's why it worked for istock I think many contributors do same thing ... Now I will not work neither for Shutterstock nor for any other online companies .. Time = Money and if money isn't worth it I will not waste my time and I will stop create new files...   I will try to find another way to get better money instead .. I will not do a design for 0.10 $ that's really unbelievable and I was dreaming to leave my job one day and work online especially for Shutterstock but now I'm glad I have another external job... I can't put my trust on something unstable we felt  "insecure" getting these news!

6 hours ago, Nihongo said:

https://www.change.org/p/change-the-humiliating-system-of-royalties-for-shutterstock-contributors

Open message to the Management of Shutterstock

Dear Executive team of Shutterstock,

We, Shutterstock contributors from all over the world, are hereby addressing you. Many of us have been working with you for years, and we have seen annual reports showing company’s profit growth and we believe that we have the right to expect respect for both our work and contribution to the prosperity of Shutterstock.

We are forced to contact you publicly because of the situation with the update of the earnings structure set up as of June 1st, 2020. This new structure was introduced only a couple of days before the start of its validity, without any prior notification or discussion with the authors.

Instead of greater income for active authors as it was promised, we noticed a radical decrease in RPD without any increase in the number of downloads. We believe the announced percentages of new earnings are not fair. These are the percentages only for those cases when the entire package is used, while clients generally do not use the entire package. Thus a significant part of the selling prices is not distributed and goes solely to the stock.

The new earnings structure violates the existing relationship between Shutterstock and the authors, violates the relationship in the whole industry, devalues our work and does not account for our content production costs for expenses.

The rating system or so called levels system has also been changed. Resetting the rating every year on January 1st is totally unfair to authors. Rating should be based on quality of content and quantity of sales for the period of time. A top-manager cannot turn into a clerk every year on January 1st, and an experienced photographer, graphic designer or videographer cannot turn into a beginner.

Taking all above-mentioned into account we demand on the following changes to be made by the end of June 2020:

1. To increase minimum earning from subscription to $0.25, keeping the new system of levels and earnings structure for all types of sales.
  2. To change the reset of ratings/levels by moving to a system that counts sales for the last 12 months and fixes the criteria for the transition between levels for a long time;
  3. To decrease the requirements for video level 5 and video level 6 and make them 1000 and 10000 respectively.
  4. To reinstate a full exam for new contributors in order to decrease the amount of low quality content.

OR to get back to the previous earnings and levels structure.

We understand that there is a crisis and a pandemic at the moment in the world, we are also experiencing a drop in sales. But this does not remove the need for a respectful attitude to the authors. Despite numerous requests to cancel the new changes, you continue to remain silent and refuse to conduct negotiations. Therefore, in order to protest against the new system, we are now doing the following worldwide:

1. massively stop the uploading of new content
  2. deactivate sales of our content from June 15th
  3. continue deleting content from Shutterstock
  4. spread the information about current situation in mass media and social networks

In case of further refusal to compromise, we will be forced to strengthen the steps we take.

Nonetheless we are always open for a dialogue and rely on cooperation.

Kind regards,
Shutterstock contributors

+++

I was thinking and hoping few weeks ago that you guys increase our earning in each artwork as you did before but now we are in a big shock and everything has changed.. I lost my trust..