Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

And they implemented it NOW, mid year, which will max their benefit today, AND again January 1, 2021.  It was just a hobby for me, but wonder if my other hobbies might prove more lucrative.  What a bummer.

This pushed me to change my main microstock agency from Shutterstock to Adobe, I created similar collections, used Adobe Portfolio to present my collections easy and for free https://duben.myportfolio.com/. I stopped upload new content to Shutterstock and I will see close the end of June if I will keep what I have here without any future uploads or if I will disable my image portfolio at all.

So far I have twice more income from Adobe for only 1/3 count of sales in compare to Shutterstock. Of course I have statistics for average price of sales per photo for other agencies and I will not support giving my photos for free (0.1$ per photo is like giving photos for free).

Thanks a lot Shutterstock, 

This new earning structure is better than the old one, despite what people say, I increase my income since June and sold more photos with better value, I think people don't understand it and should to post more photos with better quality. Don't deactivate your portfolio but work on it, don't waste your time, try to do the best to be chosen by costumers, it's your chance, take it and don't give up

10 cents on a sale??? Seriously? Is Shutterstock gone grazy :(
Over ten years of being part of this, over 8000 photo's online...I think I will leave and take all my photo's away if this stays this way.
Shall Shutterstock even read this comments? I don't think so.
Will they do anything with it? I don't think so.

This is completely absurd!

Good authors will leave you and leave trash pictures for you.
Your main asset is not an expensive office in the center of New York, but the authors' loyalty, which you are increasingly losing.

If you think that your company is a big elephant, then the authors and clients will show that you are "Feet of clay".

First, you cancel the Referrals — 🧐
Then you canceled the exam and the quality of the pictures fell — 😳
Then you remove the .JPG preview — 🤔
Then you resize the Artboard — 🤨
Then you ask to change the save without Artboard enabled — 🤪
Then you suddenly reduce payments by 4 times — 🤡

Now Subscription RPD - $ 0.2 (± 90% of all sales, this is $0.10)
Before 1 June it was RPD - $ 0.38

Only Bigstock had worse RPD... but wait, it's also you 🤷‍♂️
— 
Start dialogue before it's too late!
Experience of Fotolia Club taught you nothing 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Jose HERNANDEZ Camera 51 said:

This new earning structure is better than the old one, despite what people say, I increase my income since June and sold more photos with better value, I think people don't understand it and should to post more photos with better quality. Don't deactivate your portfolio but work on it, don't waste your time, try to do the best to be chosen by costumers, it's your chance, take it and don't give up

That could very well be due to the fact that many established contributors have disabled sales on their portfolios to revolt against the new cheap commission system. I did mention that a happier lot will also emerge out of the new changes that SS has put into effect. 

5 minutes ago, Jose HERNANDEZ Camera 51 said:

Really 😂 How much did you get for saying that? 😜 Pathetic 🙄

1 hour ago, Lucy.Brown said:

I'm in level 4 and I've had some 10 cent subscription earnings. Are you saying level 4 should receive more? I've seen others here on level 4 also with 10 cent downloads.

The payout depends on the package of the subscriber. You could even be in Level 6 and just get 10c for some downloads.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:50 AM, Dolwolfian Photography said:

Really 😂 How much did you get for saying that? 😜 Pathetic 🙄

That was quite a rude response/conspiracy theory for someone sharing his opinion/experience. 

Here is my similar experience:

20200606_101600.jpg.4d4277fd9989ffb0691a72d9cab9699b.jpg

My portfolio is not that big, but my works were purchased and used by industry giants such as Pepsico, Asahi Japan and Haitai South Korea. I am not willing to sell my vectors for 10 cents, as some of them takes a few days to complete. I have disabled my portfolio sales today, my works will be only available on other platforms from now on. This was very disrespectful move to decimate our income after giving us only 5 days notice and not listening to us at all. Adobe makes the same amount of money in two days that Shutterstock managed to make in a week.

Farewell, Shutterstock.

image.png.795542072c498926b0189379b2b30344.png

1 hour ago, Lucy.Brown said:

I'm in level 4 and I've had some 10 cent subscription earnings. Are you saying level 4 should receive more? I've seen others here on level 4 also with 10 cent downloads.

I'm in level 4 as well and receive 10 cents! Sometimes 11 cents and sometimes 16 or 19...there is no clarity

A lot of voices to my original message.

A great first step!

Before deleting your portfolio I would consider a gradual plan of action.

Executives & boards, like anyone, make bod decisions.

First week: Voice your dissatisfaction on this forum. The more people that show they are upset the better the chance SS management will reevaluate.

Second week:

Don't delete your entire portfolio. You've spent a lot of time & energy uploading your SS portfolio. I set meta data on all images but it still takes a lot of time to upload & approve. 

Remove some of your more popular content. The biggest sellers & only those. This drop in income of  popular content from a large number of providers, should send the right message.

Stop submitting new content.

Third or forth week:

By this time there should be some kind of reaction from management. After a month I might consider removing my entire portfolio.

It's business. It's a source of income in my case. I would give SS management time to work this out.

My opinion anyway.

All the best everyone!

28 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

That was quite a rude response/conspiracy theory for someone sharing his opinion/experience. 

Here is my similar experience:

20200606_101600.jpg.4d4277fd9989ffb0691a72d9cab9699b.jpg

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

How about showing us your detailed earnings so that we can see how much you got per download? Or is this harder to fake?

21 minutes ago, Atomic Roderick said:

A lot of voices to my original message.

A great first step!

Before deleting your portfolio I would consider a gradual plan of action.

Executives & boards, like anyone, make bod decisions.

First week: Voice your dissatisfaction on this forum. The more people that show they are upset the better the chance SS management will reevaluate.

Second week:

Don't delete your entire portfolio. You've spent a lot of time & energy uploading your SS portfolio. I set meta data on all images but it still takes a lot of time to upload & approve. 

Remove some of your more popular content. The biggest sellers & only those. This drop in income of  popular content from a large number of providers, should send the right message.

Stop submitting new content.

Third or forth week:

By this time there should be some kind of reaction from management. After a month I might consider removing my entire portfolio.

It's business. It's a source of income in my case. I would give SS management time to work this out.

My opinion anyway.

All the best everyone!

First step:
Disable you portfolio!

54 minutes ago, Jose HERNANDEZ Camera 51 said:

good trolling, but no!

On 6/8/2020 at 10:26 AM, Carsten Schlipf said:

How about showing us your detailed earnings so that we can see how much you got per download? Or is this harder to fake?

So you can pretend they are faked too? I don't waste time on conspiracy theories/theorists.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Jose HERNANDEZ Camera 51 said:

There are portfolios that are embarrassing and yours is one of them. For me, charging 0.10 for these photos is well paid

Is this article on PetaPixel a slap in our faces?

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/08/is-this-the-end-of-microstock-photography/

The reason that the new royalty structure issued by Shutterstock has caused such a stir is that at 15% some contributors will now be earning as little as $0.10 each time their images are used. It doesn’t sound like much really does it when you factor in the cost of producing each image.

There is the cost of the equipment, the space to take the photos, and of course if you need to hire a model for the shoot. These though are just a few of the costs involved. Take these costs out and some contributors will be facing a loss.

It’s these contributors that are causing all of the fuss. The contributors with smaller portfolios or the ones whose quality of work is simply not up to the game.

The ones though who are keeping quiet are the ones who consistently provide good quality images that generate A LOT of downloads. These are the people who will come out of this the winners.

28 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

So you can pretend they are faked too? I don't waste time on conspiracy theories/theorists.

Cheers,

Justin

http://www.statisticool.com/main.htm

There are portfolios that are embarrassing and yours is one of them. For me, charging 0.10 for these photos is well paid