Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

I'm new to this forum but I have experience of another agency that also messed its contributors about though not in as drastic a fashion. I can only say that I have not uploaded a single file there since and that chaos has reigned for much of the time afterwards. This seems an even worse decision. It will without doubt result in poorer quality photos being submitted.

29 minutes ago, Richard Whitcombe said:

98887150_Annotation2020-05-27005744.thumb.jpg.7313a4435e75666f547f2c189d3c69a5.jpg

I cant wait to see this graph on MSG ( https://www.the microstock group forum /index.php?page=PollResults ) after June.  That light blue line is going to nosedive.  And in January its going to be hidden under the coloured mess at the bottom.

Make sure you all update it so EVERYONE can see.  Maybe SS stock holders will see it too...

i think SS is trying to Flatten the curve....  Yet again they misunderstand the real world.  

16 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

This is not correct.

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

you think 10¢. its a big money? why you say - dont worry - will get 10¢. we dont upload anymore on isock in this reason. and will stop upload on SS

I'm here since 2008, never wrote on forum. This is how you help your authors in such terrible time? We buy new cameras, make more and more images and video, learning, spent more time with photo shoots and Photoshop for making excellent quality. And 10 cents - that how you think of us?! Greedy! You'll make more money at the moment but not at the time.

All my new images and videos will be on another sites.

2 minutes ago, Firn said:

I've put together a small list for everyone to see.

On the left are the earning levels and on the top the prices for images depending on the Subscription and On Demand package from Shutterstock and in the middle what you can expect to earn from each sale.

I've put the numbers lower than 0.10% in brackets as Late clames that will be the minimum.
As you can see, with the biggest Sub package, which most likely is the most common, everyone will get 0,10$ from each sub sale, expect for level 6 with over 25000 sales. They will get whopping 0,11$ instead.

Untitled-1.jpg

thank you.  Do we know that pricing is consistent across the world?  

36 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Please review the first comment in this thread for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

When the new earnings structure goes into effect, the payout for subscription plans will not be less than 10¢.

But that is no true!!

https://www.shutterstock.com/pricing/

We choose the most favorable package; we see that the price of the photo for the buyer is 22 cents.

According to what formula will the author get 10 cents???

10 minutes ago, KeremGogus said:

This is not fair on @Kate Shutterstock I think. She really is a lovely and helping person and certainly doing her best. Please don't go too hard on her because of the circumstances out of her control. ❤️

Oh I don't know. I'm about to get banned judging by this private message:

Hi Richard,

I know you have a lot of questions and you're fighting for clarity. But you are refuting and questioning everything I post today, and not very constructively.

I'm going to start hiding your posts.

Thanks,

It appears asking questions that SS clearly don't want to answer isn't popular.

So I'm going to be removed from here soon...

9 minutes ago, Manon_Labe said:

Ok, but apart "10 cents" mistake does it make sense?

Yes, I think so. This is absolutely how I'd think about it. Calculate how much the customer pays for each image, then multiply that per-asset-cost by your earnings level (or 10 cents, whichever is greater). 

I have 175,000+ downloads from less than 1800 images.

$.38 / subscription sale down to $.10 every January 1st?

Bye Shutterstock. Thanks for the loyalty.

1 hour ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

That's correct. Our new compensation model is designed to reward content creators for producing quality work that is fresh, relevant and in demand by our customers. By resetting the royalty levels each year, we aim to provide an avenue for contributors to be fairly rewarded for content that is performing well at the current time.

The adjustments are being made to align with changes we have been seeing in the global market for creative content. They also help to create fair opportunities for all our contributors, and reward performance with greater earnings potential.

So instead of leading the trends and helping us all, contributors and managers, earn more in real world situations, shutterstock has decided to follow the trend leaders and royally shaft it's entire contributor base?

Would it be too difficult to communicate with us and ask what we want? How could we make this work for every one?

I guess so, I imagine the people who have really profited from our work wouldn't even care if they drove the site into the ground, as they have the vast majority of earnings from hundreds of thousands of contributors to soothe themselves with.

As a contributor who earns just enough to pay my bills and eat from this industry, let alone survive medical bills etc, this is a severe and painful nail in my coffin.

Seems they've already screwed the business, it makes sense to now screw the contributors too. 

https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/retail/nyse-sstk/shutterstock/news/introducing-shutterstock-nysesstk-the-stock-that-dropped-43-in-the-last-five-years/

Vetrans, lead the charge, do we boycott them, head to Adobe and Pond5 and crowdfund a lawyer to sue them to hell. 

28 minutes ago, Duncan Andison said:

Ok @Kate Shutterstock but what if the client doesn't use the full amount of images available to download... are you still goint to pay us based on what they might have downloaded and pocket the spare cash. If you don't answer I'll take that as a yes,

@Kate Shutterstock  There is simply no way to determine future earning, or to plan for my future.  You are rolling out fast a new plan without proper comparison for us to gauge the impact.  And I mean you, as the company, not you personally.  The overwhelming response to this is based on fear of the unknown.  However, the starting over each Jan 1 is unacceptable.  278000 downloads don't earn me anything in the way of respect?

@Kate Shutterstock If the customer downloads less than the number of images they paid for in their subscription, is the "price per asset" simply the (subscription price / number of photos actually downloaded)? If not, then I assume it's the (subscription price / (total images included in the plan), regardless of how many they actually downloaded? If this is the case, then the customer paid more "per asset" than the subscription plan advertised, which of course is their loss and Shutterstock's gain, and that's fair enough. However if we contributors are in fact a part of Shutterstock, then it should be our gain too. PLEASE CLARIFY THIS ISSUE ASAP, THANKS.

The question is:  15% of WHAT?  One image sells for 15% of the customer's whole $29.95 or other monthly subscription fee?  I think not, but just throwing it out there. 

Please state the actual $.xx amount this translates to PER IMAGE SOLD in a subscription plan, SS, thanks.

6 minutes ago, Firn said:

I've put together a small list for everyone to see.

On the left are the earning levels and on the top the prices for images depending on the Subscription and On Demand package from Shutterstock and in the middle what you can expect to earn from each sale.

I've put the numbers lower than 0.10$ in brackets as Kate clames that will be the minimum.
As you can see, with the biggest Sub package, which most likely is the most common, everyone will get 0,10$ from each sub sale, expect for level 6 with over 25000 sales. They will get whopping 0,11$ instead.

Untitled-1.jpg

What we don't know is which level of subscription is the most prevalent. If it is the middle ones rather than the huge packs, then maybe the sky is not falling and things might even out. At least on the image side.

3 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Yes, I think so. This is absolutely how I'd think about it. Calculate how much the customer pays for each image, then multiply that per-asset-cost by your earnings level (or 10 cents, whichever is greater). 

As of now you’re in Level 5, which earns 35% per license.

What does per license mean? How does that translate to my earnings? Is it dependent on the type of license a customer has? How about being clear and transparent.

1 hour ago, Phil Lowe said:

It's a carrot and stick approach to getting us to work harder.  The problem is, we all get nothing but stick for the first few months of every new year.  That's not the way to incentivize people to contribute more.

If it includes sub sales, as Kate has confirmed, it will take a lot longer than a couple of months to get to the carrot. There is potential for around a 75%+ drop in the value of the subs sale. 

Qualification of reviewers low - saving. 
Support responds with common cliches - saving. 
The exam was canceled - they wanted to earn on new authors - saving. 
For more experienced authors, SS constantly reduces the level of sales (there are methods, alas) - savings. 
Meanwhile your quality goes down.
So they waited for the annual restart! 
Now all authors will think about how long to stay with the SS or go to competitors.

23 minutes ago, D. Ribeiro said:

This is from here.

"To opt out of sales, log into your account and navigate to the Account Settings page from the drop-down menu under your name in the top right corner of the page. Scroll down to the section How can we license your work? and select No for the sales options."

Funny I don't see the How we can license your work section? Anyone else?

I guess that support article is outdated. I have a feeling it's gonna get a lot of views.

In account settings you have licensing options

This is a joke! 😡 I have 3641 photos in my account, if shutterstock continue with these ideas I´m out deleting all my files, let's stay together don´t submit any more photos until they cancel this announcement. We all are the fuel of this site, to everyone please stop submitting more photos and videos.