Kate Shutterstock

New earnings structure for Contributors

1 minute ago, Kirk Fisher said:

It could be that they are selling the company and part of the deal is that they do the dirty work of lowering commissions/rates and then the new company management is the good guy by raising them a little bit. Very common for companies to lay off workers before a sale so the new owners aren't the bad guy. Bottom line in this scenario would be that we still get less money. I have no proof - just a guess - but I've seen this happen with businesses when changing hands.

Could be an explanation. Which is to say that the aquisition is meant to burry SS as another "brand" in a portfolio (see IS absorbed by Getty). An aquisition to build upon (like Adobe - Fotolia) doesn't make sense with such a move.

@Kate Shutterstock is there any possible ways to set royalties / percent by authors? Like dreamstime. At least for single / enchanced sales or maybe video. Let the authors choose price for their art. Of course with some limitations. Top players could change their prices to higher level whereas beginners with 1 lvl will use SS system. But without reseting on 1st january. You can make more levels like 10 or more but lifetime. When contributor gets 100 000$ it would be 10 lvl. For example. On 5th lvl contributors can change rates / percent of royalty. On lvl 1-4 you're the boss. But then contributor becomes "pro" with great sales and experience. So that there were some motivation. If customer need to buy enchanced license image or video they would buy it for 40-100-1000$. And you will get your money and everybody happy.

Sorry my bad english. Hope you understand what I mean )

1 minute ago, WhiteBarbie said:

@Kate Shutterstock is there any possible ways to set royalties / percent by authors? Like dreamstime. At least for single / enchanced sales or maybe video. Let the authors choose price for their art. Of course with some limitations. Top players could change their prices to higher level whereas beginners with 1 lvl will use SS system. But without reseting on 1st january. You can make more levels like 10 or more but lifetime. When contributor gets 100 000$ it would be 10 lvl. For example. On 5th lvl contributors can change rates / percent of royalty. On lvl 1-4 you're the boss. But then contributor becomes pr get sales and experience. So that there were some motivation. If customer need to buy enchanced licensed image or video they would buy it for 40-100-1000$. And you will get your money and everybody happy.

Sorry my bad english. Hope you understand what I mean )

She will not answer you, she is just like Trump, when the heat is up she hiding under a rock!

How could you do that? I have lost my motivation and interest in continuing to work with you! And you are talking about respect for the co-authors? This is pure discrimination, not a new payout system!

1 hour ago, Marius_Comanescu said:

Did anyone else noticed an increase in sale volumes on Dreamstime this month? Almost all at $2 a pop.

Really?

So far, I have 4 sales in June, all at $0.35. Not a single $2 sale.

I have never written anything in a forum here before.
But with the new payments, I just have to write something.

0,10 US $ = for me as a German after the exchange with fees 0,07 - 0,08 EURO Cent - at level 4 !!!!!

I cried when I saw the new account!
In the Corona crisis this is again a coffin nail for many dedicated photographers.

At least there are still a few German speaking agencies that don't take advantage of Corona. In order to enrich themselves at the photographers, who do the actual job.

I could probably still live with it if there was no resetting of the level in January!

1 hour ago, Marius_Comanescu said:

Did anyone else noticed an increase in sale volumes on Dreamstime this month? Almost all at $2 a pop. There’s great potential there even though you’re not selling in big numbers as on SS , one sale is the equivalent of 20 sales here. Plus another news: Adobe stock started accepting editorials. Lots of work from tomorrow, I’ll be uploading all my work on those 

009D1A6F-CA17-4C1D-99EB-EF25212EFEE0.jpeg

...anyway, isn't a Dreams, it's Time. Hold on, we're coming! 

This is just disgrace, for years of using shutterstock and you are dropping sales to 0.10$. For that low is it's maybe a time to switch to somewhere else, 0.10$ is miserable to bother with, and to have to start over and over again is bottom low. I just started with Adobe stock and for one image sale, i get 0.66$. I earned more by selling 2 images there then selling 10 on shutterstock.

1 hour ago, Przemek Iciak said:

Before you decide anything wait a month or two before you decide to delete your port. I will wait for sure. If you getting most of your earnings by 10c and 12c it can be bad week or a month. I had those before when my earnings dropped significantly one week and another got normal or even twice higher.

I think he's full of it.....just doesn't rhyme with reality in my sales since June 1. I'm at 30% and my only ODD 'til now was $2.06 and subs are almost all >$0.15.

36 minutes ago, iweta0077 said:
Shutterstock - I have never signed a contract with you for 0.10 USD per photo. You only sent me information about the new rules, but without my approval. So if you continue to sell my photos for free - this is your problem because you will pay me for it. I never agreed to 0.10 per photo. So keep stealing my photos, but be sure to pay for it.
Or show me the contract where I agreed to it!

I'm afraid this isn't a valid answer to SS regarding this topic, and poses no threat to them. The only legit answer to the new scheme is opting out from sales or completely leaving SS for good.

Why do I say this? Perhaps we should read the TOS thoroughly before committing:

Section 18 (Miscelaneous), section f:

"Please note that Shutterstock reserves the right to modify these terms at any time in its sole discretion, it being understood that no changes shall apply to any pending arbitration proceeding commenced or legal claims asserted prior to such change. Shutterstock will notify you of any such change by an announcement on this page, your login page, and/or by other means to provide you the opportunity to review the modifications before they become effective. Modifications to these TOS will not apply retroactively. By continuing to make Content available through Shutterstock, you agree to be bound by all such changes. If you do not agree with any of the changes, please remove from Shutterstock, pursuant to the terms herein, all or that portion of your Content to which you do not wish the changes to apply."

Had 2 sales today of the same image. Both subs...one for ten cents and the other for $0.87...WTF? In above video the rate of $0.87 is unfindable in my tariff group of Level 4 (30%).

PicNick031 2020-06-05, 02_20_54.jpg

4 minutes ago, Katherine Welles said:

Why did Stan Pavlovsky (@spavlovsky) delete his Twitter account? Is this what most CEOs do when a few people @ them with angry tweets? I honestly don't get it. 

He went to inspect his bunker under SS headquarters... 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, etraveler said:

2 hours ago, etraveler said:

...anyway, isn't a Dreams, it's Time. Hold on, we're coming! 

Be really careful with Dreamstime.  They will keep all your money if you don't reach $50 and decide to leave.  So what?  Ask around. Some people do OK; others not. I have made less than $10 on Dreamstime over more than 2 years for the SAME images (about 60 images as per my calculations) that I had on SS (about $120) and Adobe (always better than SS for me) - at $560.  Also, Dreamstime will stop you from removing your images for 6 months after upload or after the last edit - such as correcting a keyword.  If you want to complain then that's too bad for you because the company resides in a former eastern bloc country and you do not enjoy the protection of US or other Western Countries legal systems.  Dreamstime will limit or control your free speech in their forums if you dare to politely disagree with them by removing your posts completely or editing what you write in such a way to suit themselves.

One other thing to consider: the stock agencies that do not give a damn about the contributors are easy to identify.  Try phoning them for support.  SS will refuse to put you through to anyone and refuse to offer any assistance. Dreamstime, as above, and the biggest one is the same.

Compare this to Adobe.  You can call them any time of day from no matter where you are in the world.  They are happy to help and will even send you info and links to solve any questions you, as a contributor, may have.  Why?  Because they respect the fact that you are supporting them. Andf no, I don't have any affiliation with Adobe.

Lastly, the same images of mine that sell on SS now for 0.10 and until last week for 0.38c continually sell on Adobe for 0.99 and $3.00 and $6.00.  Adobe will also tell you - I asked - that if you close your account they will pay you out everything they owe.

Edited by Scott Donkin
typo and added a line